ADVERTISEMENT

More plans to upgrade facilities...

KJ_RU

All Conference
Jul 25, 2001
I really liked the idea of an athletes village but since it's clear that that's not going to happen. I'll take anything that moves our athletic department closer to the 21st century.

Hale Center upgrades

While I love the idea of ale being just football and some more bells and whistles, how do the other teams feel about living underground?

Until Rutgers has the funding for this can we replace the word "plans" with the phrase "unrealistic dream"

This is true. What the administration has failed to realize is how much of a benefit world class athletic facilities have on the academic programs. It opens up tremendous learning opportunities and even new majors by having world class facilities in sports marketing, engineering, landscaping, PR, Communications, and a TON of others. With world class facilities will come improved athletics and the ultimate goal would be for academics to become self sufficient (a feat achieved by less than 20 universities in the entire country).

It's not anything new that it takes money to make money, we also have a VERY small window of opportunity with all the Big 10 hype, to add to the excitement surrounding RU athletics. In 5 years NO ONE will be talking about or care about our move to the Big 10 and it will just be the norm. Just by being a part of the conferance will not fix the issues by themselves, there must be more done by the administration. We are at an enormous crossroads right now where from an athletic standpoint, we could become Michigan State or Wisconson but we could just as easily become Purdue. I truely believe the next 5 years of RU athletics will shape the next 25-30 years and what we can expect

Originally posted by RUfan96:

This is true. What the administration has failed to realize is how much of a benefit world class athletic facilities have on the academic programs. It opens up tremendous learning opportunities and even new majors by having world class facilities in sports marketing, engineering, landscaping, PR, Communications, and a TON of others. With world class facilities will come improved athletics and the ultimate goal would be for academics to become self sufficient (a feat achieved by less than 20 universities in the entire country).

It's not anything new that it takes money to make money, we also have a VERY small window of opportunity with all the Big 10 hype, to add to the excitement surrounding RU athletics. In 5 years NO ONE will be talking about or care about our move to the Big 10 and it will just be the norm. Just by being a part of the conferance will not fix the issues by themselves, there must be more done by the administration. We are at an enormous crossroads right now where from an athletic standpoint, we could become Michigan State or Wisconson but we could just as easily become Purdue. I truely believe the next 5 years of RU athletics will shape the next 25-30 years and what we can expect
I think 25-30 years is a weeeeee bit over the top. Nothing that happens now will greatly affect 2025 let alone 2040-45. Either way I probably won't be around so I'm not worried about being proven wrong lol.

BTW, Purdue has made the dance 13 times in the last 20. I think a lot of people would sign up for that around here.

Wonder why they have not thought about building onto the Sonny Werblin Center. The property there is Huge and could handle it perfectly

Reactions: MineStreet
1. I always disliked being in a weight room without natural light. But there are worse things.

2. I always disliked locker rooms that were nicer than most peoples homes. It makes you soft. My HS LR was the best. In the attic of the school. Concrete floors. 2x4 made racks for your space. We used van seats from a junk yard as seat along the walls. "The drying room" It was real grit.

I miss those days.

Surprised there's not more conversation about this. I guess putting some of the facility renovation under an already built structure might reduce some of the cost. Not sure if this is what they'll move forward with but at least they're trying to get creative on ways to keep costs down and still get stuff done.

ADVERTISEMENT