More preseason love

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
Jeff Goodman really likes Rutgers.

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-preseason-top-50-for-2020-21-04-23-2020/

15. Rutgers
Last Season: 20-11, 11-9 in Big Ten

Lose (2): F Akwasi Yeboah* (9.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg), F Shaq Carter (3.6 ppg)

Starters Back (4): SG Ron Harper Jr. (Jr., 12.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg), G Geo Baker (Sr., 10.9 ppg), C Myles Johnson (Jr., 7.8 ppg, 7.9 rpg), G Montez Mathis (Jr., 7.4 ppg)

Other Returners (5): G Jacob Young (Sr., 8.5 ppg), SG Caleb McConnell (Jr., 6.7 ppg), G Paul Mulcahy (Soph., 3.7 ppg), F Mamadou Doucoure (Jr., 0.6 ppg), G Peter Kiss (RS Jr., 0.0 ppg – 2 games)

Add (4): C Cliff Omoruyi (No. 49), SF Mawot Mag, PF Dean Reiber, SF Oskar Palmquist

Heartbreaking that we can't even realistically project when a full house at the RAC will be able to watch this team play.

I will not be surprised if we are in thr top four seats for the next big ten tournament. The incoming class will add to the defense and offense production. I expect Oskat and Cliff to add a 15 point increase and Cliff and Johnson to combine in a -6 point production on defense. Johnson can be more aggressive now with no fear of a drop off when he is on the bench.

If we increase our offensive average 15 ppg, we will average 84 points a game.

If we increase our defense -6, we will average 56 ppg.

So that's not going to happen.

Jeff Goodman really likes Rutgers.

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-preseason-top-50-for-2020-21-04-23-2020/

15. Rutgers
Last Season: 20-11, 11-9 in Big Ten

Lose (2): F Akwasi Yeboah* (9.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg), F Shaq Carter (3.6 ppg)

Starters Back (4): SG Ron Harper Jr. (Jr., 12.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg), G Geo Baker (Sr., 10.9 ppg), C Myles Johnson (Jr., 7.8 ppg, 7.9 rpg), G Montez Mathis (Jr., 7.4 ppg)

Other Returners (5): G Jacob Young (Sr., 8.5 ppg), SG Caleb McConnell (Jr., 6.7 ppg), G Paul Mulcahy (Soph., 3.7 ppg), F Mamadou Doucoure (Jr., 0.6 ppg), G Peter Kiss (RS Jr., 0.0 ppg – 2 games)

Add (4): C Cliff Omoruyi (No. 49), SF Mawot Mag, PF Dean Reiber, SF Oskar Palmquist
Best part of that list other than RU at #15 is no Penn St. or Cuse!

Great to see us at 15 ! Goodman also has Iowa at 4; Wisconsin at 5; Michigan State at 6; Indiana at 31; OSU at 32; Purdue at 33; Illinois at 37 and Michigan at 42.

Thus top 9 teams in BIG 10 will be tough once again - with Maryland; Minnesota; Northwestern; Penn State and Nebraska rounding out the bottom 5.

Great to see us at 15 ! Goodman also has Iowa at 4; Wisconsin at 5; Michigan State at 6; Indiana at 31; OSU at 32; Purdue at 33; Illinois at 37 and Michigan at 42.

Thus top 9 teams in BIG 10 will be tough once again - with Maryland; Minnesota; Northwestern; Penn State and Nebraska rounding out the bottom 5.

I'll believe that Maryland is one of the B1G's bottom five when I see it.

I think the league will be competitive again this year, but not as good from top to bottom. The league may be broken into 3 tiers this year
Tier One: Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and Rutgers
Tier Two: Indiana, Michigan, OSU, Maryland, Purdue, and Illinois,
Tier Three: Penn State, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Minnesota

I don't think everyone from tier two will have a strong chance of making the NCAA tournament. Maybe one or two of them are NIT bound.

I'll believe that Maryland is one of the B1G's bottom five when I see it.
Maryland will not be as good and will not challenge for the top tier. Too many major holes to fill. Still, they have more talent than the bottom group.

I hate to say it but I think people are underestimating the loss of Yeboah and what it takes away from our team. We’ll be good. But I’m not convinced that we’ll be a cut above most B1G teams.

I hate to say it but I think people are underestimating the loss of Yeboah and what it takes away from our team. We’ll be good. But I’m not convinced that we’ll be a cut above most B1G teams.
I don't think anyone is underestimating the loss of Yeboah, but when you compare it to what other B1G schools have lost our situation is a little easier to deal with. Also, you have to consider the growth of the returning players. Remember everyone said RHJ had to take that next step and he did or how about Montez? Another year in the system with Coach Pikiell will do wonders for the team.

Rutgers returns 78% of the roster (key contributors). Only Wisconsin returns more. Everyone else returns around somewhere in the 50% area. When you combine experience, talent, and coaching you have a chance. Also, top 50 players don't just grow on trees. Omoruyi has to learn the college game, but his raw talent should help to cover some of the losses created by Yeboah's departure. Rutgers is no longer coming to the knife fight with a plastic knife. We are armed with a sword and a couple of hidden Bowie knives just in case.

I think the league will be competitive again this year, but not as good from top to bottom. The league may be broken into 3 tiers this year
Tier One: Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and Rutgers
Tier Two: Indiana, Michigan, OSU, Maryland, Purdue, and Illinois,
Tier Three: Penn State, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Minnesota

I don't think everyone from tier two will have a strong chance of making the NCAA tournament. Maybe one or two of them are NIT bound.

Maryland will not be as good and will not challenge for the top tier. Too many major holes to fill. Still, they have more talent than the bottom group.
I agree with your tiers. If Ayo and Cockburn both return, I’d elevate Illinois to tier 1. Michigan may also be a team that will be on that tier 1/2 border if Livers returns.

I see Big 10 having 8 ncaa squads which are all of the four tier 1 teams and 4 of the six tier 2 squads.

Now let’s hope we have a season with a March madness conclusion and with fans.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I don't think anyone is underestimating the loss of Yeboah, but when you compare it to what other B1G schools have lost our situation is a little easier to deal with. Also, you have to consider the growth of the returning players. Remember everyone said RHJ had to take that next step and he did or how about Montez? Another year in the system with Coach Pikiell will do wonders for the team.

Rutgers returns 78% of the roster (key contributors). Only Wisconsin returns more. Everyone else returns around somewhere in the 50% area. When you combine experience, talent, and coaching you have a chance. Also, top 50 players don't just grow on trees. Omoruyi has to learn the college game, but his raw talent should help to cover some of the losses created by Yeboah's departure. Rutgers is no longer coming to the knife fight with a plastic knife. We are armed with a sword and a couple of hidden Bowie knives just in case.
Nailed it

From this point on every year we are going to be losing studs. Only 1 is best case scenario really

Reactions: Scarlet83

Every team loses players to graduation. And Yaboah is a loss.

But you are not seeing the many positives. Let’s start with all of the sophomores becoming juniors. Do you remember their improvement from Freshman year to Sophomore year? Each of them improved a lot and each of them won games for us this year. Our staff develops players very well and these kids are freakin hungry.

Add to that Paul Mulcahy, who I expect similar improvement from the baseline of his freshman year plus another year of development with this coaching staff.

Add to that Geo being a senior. How many times do people talk about how important senior guards are to a team? Geo is going to be a monster this coming year.

On top of that, Cliff and the other incoming freshman, who will help this team in varying degrees and gain B1G experience. And having Myles and Cliff as a team of centers defending the rim is talent that we have had in...uhhhh...never.

Open your eyes to the positives. Don’t underestimate this coaching staff’s capabilities and how hungry these kids are to improve and to win. Rutgers gains so much more that we lose this year.

Reactions: Scangg
Quick math...55 points per game from the returning players. Without checking, my guess is it probably leads the B1G.

Last edited:
The thought of us being favored over all the teams listed in tier two on a neutral court seems a little surprising to me. I could see it happening if with these three things:
1. McConnell steps in for Yeboah reasonably well
2. Omoruyi gives us what Carter gave
3. Returning players are a little better
I think all three are reasonable with 1 being the most important and biggest challenge. Anything from the new guys or exceeding 1 - 3 is gravy and we are legit Sweet 16 or better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT