ADVERTISEMENT

MSU Spartan Commit transferring to Depaul Catholic in NJ

Innermind

Junior
Sep 18, 2012
High 3-star/low 4-star 2016 Michigan State commit, OT Thiyo Lukusa of Traverse City, MI is transferring to Depaul Catholic for his Senior year to be near his father in New Jersey.

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/...ing-to-DePaul-Catholic-in-New-Jersey-37453918

Besides Michigan State, Thiyo Lukusa also holds offers from such B1G schools as Wisconsin, Ohio State, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, and from SEC schools Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, and Arkansas.

http://247sports.com/Player/Thiyo-Lukusa-34201

Lukusa states this will not impact his commitment to Michigan State, but one has to wonder if Thiyo would also choose to remain near his father for his collegiate career? Hmmm?

I admit... I wouldn't mind seeing Rutgers steal a top commit from Sparty. IMO, Kyle Flood & staff should be all over Thiyo & his dad like white on rice.

Last edited:
Ha Ha... D'Antonio is brilliant in one upping Harbaugh. Michigan hires a Jersey high school coach to recruit Gary and now Michigan State sends a recruit to school here to do a little recruiting and get upgraded competition. New Jersey is fast becoming the favorite stomping ground for the B1G. Maybe Edsall will have Haskins transfer back to Jersey for senior year? Meyer and Franklin will be up to something next.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Ha Ha... D'Antonio is brilliant in one upping Harbaugh. Michigan hires a Jersey high school coach to recruit Gary and now Michigan State sends a recruit to school here to do a little recruiting and get upgraded competition. New Jersey is fast becoming the favorite stomping ground for the B1G. Maybe Edsall will have Haskins transfer back to Jersey for senior year? Meyer and Franklin will be up to something next.
what several (including me) had feared about joining the B1G without a very strong counter pressure (like significant wins and a super strong HC in place).

Dream team is exactly that..just a dream..

what several (including me) had feared about joining the B1G without a very strong counter pressure (like significant wins and a super strong HC in place).

PSU, Michigan, ND, OSU, Iowa, Nebraska have always recruited NJ and recruited it well. YOu make it like every school is blanketing NJ with random offers. We could be in the MAC and schools would come into NJ for top 250 kids. Always have and always will.

PSU, Michigan, ND, OSU, Iowa, Nebraska have always recruited NJ and recruited it well. YOu make it like every school is blanketing NJ with random offers. We could be in the MAC and schools would come into NJ for top 250 kids. Always have and always will.

at 56YO, I am very well aware of the history of NJ recruits going to these schools. However it sure seemed like it weaned a bit last decade and has recently stepped back up.

at 56YO, I am very well aware of the history of NJ recruits going to these schools. However it sure seemed like it weaned a bit last decade and has recently stepped back up.

No, vk91 is right. It has nothing to do with conference affiliation. Of course, he would also have you believe it has nothing to do with the staff's ability to recruit either.

Seemed to wane in the last decade, but now seems to have recently stepped back up, hmmmmmmm........

Go back and look at the true national recruits over the last 10-15 years and let me know where they went.

Without getting into a debate about Flood's recruiting ability, doesn't it make sense that NJ would become a bigger target of B1G teams now that a NJ team is in the league. I'm sure these schools are marketing that they can play a couple of times in front of family and friends at home.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there has been increased recruiting activity in Maryland, also?

Without getting into a debate about Flood's recruiting ability, doesn't it make sense that NJ would become a bigger target of B1G teams now that a NJ team is in the league. I'm sure these schools are marketing that they can play a couple of times in front of family and friends at home.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there has been increased recruiting activity in Maryland, also?

pretty much what I was thinking for NJ..

VkJ..I am not sure what you mean by "National Recruit"....do you mean NJ Kid who is a top national target...? Would be interesting to see the number and ranking of kids from NJ going to the B1G by decade from say 70's on. Maybe back in the day it was just assumed they'd go there and now it feels different because we should have a shot as things have changed (or not lol)...but it does feel different. I don't remember Woody or Tressel targetting NJ like Urban is..

I went and looked at the OSU offer list for both NJ & MD since 2011 and here is what I found.

New Jersey offers:
2011 - 1
2012 (Urbans 1st year full season) - 0
2013 - 7
2014 - 10
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 3 (so far)

Maryland offers:
2011 - 3
2012 (Urbans 1st full season) - 5
2013 - 7
2014 - 4
2015 - 10
2016 - 7
2017 - 4 (so far)

I went and looked at the OSU offer list for both NJ & MD since 2011 and here is what I found.

New Jersey offers:
2011 - 1
2012 (Urbans 1st year full season) - 0
2013 - 7
2014 - 10
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 3 (so far)

Maryland offers:
2011 - 3
2012 (Urbans 1st full season) - 5
2013 - 7
2014 - 4
2015 - 10
2016 - 7
2017 - 4 (so far)

Looks like a significant increase to me. Becoming B1G has definitely increased the interest of Urban. He plays 3 dimensional chess. It is as much what he can do to damage the competition as it is to improve his own team. No Mr. Nice Guy, just a ruthless competitor. Hard to find fault with "winning", and weakening opponents is part of it.

"OSU Offer List"?

Pray tell, where might one fine the Official List of Scholarship Offers?

There's no such thing as an "official" offer list, since offers are largely self-reported by the kids. Any such list will by definition be inaccurate.

There's no such thing as an "official" offer list, since offers are largely self-reported by the kids. Any such list will by definition be inaccurate.

Please show where I used the word "official" in any of my posts. It's not that hard for our recruiting staff at 247 or other recruiting sites to have the players HS coach confirm it as well. All the recruiting staff has to do is reach out to Mark Pantoni the Director of Player Personnel to confirm the offer.

Please show where I used the word "official" in any of my posts. It's not that hard for our recruiting staff at 247 or other recruiting sites to have the players HS coach confirm it as well. All the recruiting staff has to do is reach out to Mark Pantoni the Director of Player Personnel to confirm the offer.

Really? This is what you think?

You should go back to bed.

OSU's recruiting strategy is to take all the top Ohio players and then cherry pick the top national guys so the number of offers going out each year to a certain area will just depend on the number of elite players that year. With Tressel we only took Malcolm Jenkins from NJ. While UM at Florida had 3 players from NJ and the Buckeyes currently have 4 players from NJ on the roster

Eli Apple, Voorhees, N.J.
Noah Brown, Montclair, N.J.
Darius Slade, Sparta, N.J.
Kevin Feder, Ramsey, N.J

Maybe you shouldn't be such a jerk. Trying to start an argument over something so stupid. It is you who needs to go back to bed.

Well, since this isn't the OSU board I'm not real inclined to be sensitive to your various misapprehensions.

You're quoting lists of offers as if they mean something definitive. They do not. Which you refuse to understand or acknowledge.

I provided the only info we have to go off of for this. I don't refuse to understand or acknowledge anything. You're taking this way to seriously.

I provided the only info we have to go off of for this. I don't refuse to understand or acknowledge anything. You're taking this way to seriously.

On the contrary - I don't take it seriously at all.

Those who know me know that I believe in one thing and one thing only - the signatures on the National Letters of Intent. Everything else is pure bullshit and an extraordinary waste of time and energy. All the yammering and breathless following of who supposedly has what offer, what anyone says on Twitter and - most of all - the completely meaningless construct of the "verbal commitment" are all naught but wind.

The difference is Schiano had some, not total success, in keeping the B1G schools out of NJ. How many kids did we lose to TTFP or tOSU in 2007-11? Now we lose multiple a year despite the TTFP scandal. Savage had a TTFP offer and Anthony Davis had a tOSU offer, among others.

We also lost 2 kids each to Cuse and Temple in the last cycle, how many times did that happen 2007-11?

The Flood supporters will never concede this, let me preempt their response, Schiano was .500 and Flood is more affordable, etc. Win totals may be similar but yet one translated that into recruiting players with B1G offers successfully in the BE and the other not successfully recruiting players with other B1G offers while in the B1G....

ADVERTISEMENT