ADVERTISEMENT

Nadir Barnwell Article

How does this happen with all of the academic support they get? Quite surprised.
We ain't UNC.
images

Reactions: MrWise and redking
If a successful summer session engagement could really save him and he actually attended it would be hard to think that he would tank. RU does give great academic support and without the fog of practice and game prep it should be easier to be successful in the classes. I wish him well and expect to see him on the field this fall.

Reactions: RUMountie
Would he be the first academic casualty of a presumed starter since the Shea era? Can't remember...
Someone posted a few weeks ago that it wouldnt be the first just the first RU admitted to. It was stated some dog houses were built with failed classes.

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
From what I heard a while back, the grades he needs don't seem that bad. However, I certainly do not know young Mr. Barnwell nor the classes, so I cannot say it's easy, but I would certainly wouldn't put it at low odds like the mods have been saying.
Hope you are right. I had written him off based on mods.

If a successful summer session engagement could really save him and he actually attended it would be hard to think that he would tank. RU does give great academic support and without the fog of practice and game prep it should be easier to be successful in the classes. I wish him well and expect to see him on the field this fall.

Very true, but those five week courses can be killer. It's 14 weeks of work on a very accelerated schedule. Hope he pulls it off.

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
How does this happen with all of the academic support they get? Quite surprised.
Being a DI athlete is not easy. My undergrad and MBA are from RU and I can tell you. Lot depends on the classes, professors, work load, personal matters etc. I had smart kids in undergrad and at business school that got 28 out of a 100 on exams. A confluence of tough challenges can easily result in a situation like this. Fingers crossed.

If so much depends on him getting very good grades in these classes why is he even practicing? He should be doing schoolwork 12 hrs a day.

Proper course selection and proper professor selection play a huge role in success - not being cynical - it is true that some professors have a very challenging / adversarial approach and adhere to a philosophy that regardless of the subject matter, they should make it excruciatingly difficult to achieve success in their class - sort of a trial by fire with "passing" and higher grades only for those 'worthy' souls who have fully survived the ordeal ...
.... and then there are the other professors who, while challenging their students, also challenge themselves to make the subject matter come alive and be as comprehendable as possible - the view it as a poor reflection on themselves if the student has not gained an understanding of the subject.... these are the ones you want have ...

I remember people being hard on our staff for this and just saw today that one of ND's returning RB's has been declared academically ineligible for the season...eventually the individual has to be responsible for their academic performance. Hope Nadir is able to put it back together again.

Joe P.

I find it hard to believe that anyone outside of Barnwell, the academic support staff and Flood really know what he needs to do to be eligible......Unless someone is violating his privacy and revealing his grades ad/or credit progress. How would the Mods even know that he is unlikely to be eligible?

Reactions: Scarletwoman
I got an A in accounting in HS. I took it again at Rutgers and got a D. The teacher was from a far off land and nobody could understand a word he said. My point is that there can be factors other than hard/easy classes.

If so much depends on him getting very good grades in these classes why is he even practicing? He should be doing schoolwork 12 hrs a day.

It's not like full in-season practice. And an hour or two of good physical exercise can actually help your concentration. Spoken as one who played D1 lacrosse.

ADVERTISEMENT