ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft

Just wondering, the big 3 were taken first, so who should have the Knicks selected?

Mudiay would have been a better choice. The guard from Dallas who originally committed to SMU, then played a year in China.

You know, two additional teams passed on Mudiay, so perhaps he wasn't evaluated as high as the media thought he was.

Porziginis will be a star in the NBA.

The pick is terrible and it's NOT because Porzingis can't be a star.

Its a terrible pick because you just gave a 31 year old $125 million and emptied a roster to make a run with that star over the next 2-3 years.

This kid is 19 and weighs about 100 lbs soaking wet. Melo will be long gone before this kid becomes a star, if he ever does.

As a Hawks' fan, I don't like the Hawks trading the 19th pick to the Knicks for Tim Hardaway Jr. Great move for the Knicks IMO.

From nba.com before the draft:

The Way To Go
NBA.com's Draft expert, Scott Howard-Cooper, offers up his suggestions:
While most of the speculation centers on Phil Jackson taking D’Angelo Russell or Emmenuel Mudiay at No. 4, don’t be surprised if the Knicks go away from one of the point guards and instead go power forward with Kristaps Porzingis of Latvia. Shooting is one of the many, many New York needs, and Porzingis has great in that area. Russell does too. Mudiay is more a distributor with size and athleticism.

On a separate note, what are the Celtics doing collecting so many guards??? They already had Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, Isaiah Thomas, and Evan Turner under contract (plus Chris Babb and Phil Pressey). So of course they go out and draft Terry Rozier (PG) and R.J. Hunter (SG) with their two first round picks. :flushed:

Mr Magoo

At this point I would say Carmello is untradeable.

Personally I would have taken the kid Orlando took from Overseas.

Glad to see Jerian Grant go in the 1st 20 but wish he could have stayed with Wizards. The Knicks at this point are a mess.

Pat Connaughton will be a tough guy to cut IMO for Portland

Mr Magoo

Glad to see Jerian Grant go in the 1st 20 but wish he could have stayed with Wizards. The Knicks at this point are a mess.

Grant was a very good pick-up for the Knicks. Good trade by Jackson. Hardaway Jr was a good scorer but a bum on defense.

Its a terrible pick because you just gave a 31 year old $125 million and emptied a roster to make a run with that star over the next 2-3 years.

This kid is 19 and weighs about 100 lbs soaking wet. Melo will be long gone before this kid becomes a star, if he ever does.

You're right. I think this is Phil Jackson saying he's not laying out the red carpet for CA. There will be life after Melo, and Porzi will be there helping the Knicks. Give him two to three years and he'll be a double double guy.

Grant was a very good pick-up for the Knicks. Good trade by Jackson. Hardaway Jr was a good scorer but a bum on defense.

No doubt. Hardaway was seemingly inefficient shooting. A lot of people that see the stat sheet go right to points scored, but don't look at number of attempts. Hardaway as very streaky, pretty inefficient, and like you said-contributed very little on defense. If his dad is available to play I would give him a year contract.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Mr Magoo

Watching connaughton in the tourny, very impressed. Do you like Grant?

Nets are still in bad shape from that incredibly stupid trade with the Celtics.

100 percent agreed. I still can't believe Billy King is the GM after he royally screwed up in the Garnett Pierce deal. Giving up all of those 1st rounders set us back at least 3-5 years.

Hollis-Jefferson was a good defensive pickup via trade and Plumlee fizzled last season.

Don't know much about the kid McCullough from Cuse, seems like a decent pickup.

Nets are in total rebuilding mode though and I would prefer if they got rid of the colossal bust Deron Williams. He is as unclutch as they come. Johnson was the only positive major signing so far under Billy and he's old too now...

100 percent agreed. I still can't believe Billy King is the GM after he royally screwed up in the Garnett Pierce deal. Giving up all of those 1st rounders set us back at least 3-5 years.

Everybody from Philly laughed when the Nets gave Billy King the reigns to the franchise. The guy had already run our organization into the ground. Now we're just reveling in their misery while we slowly, slowly, slowly build up an actual team. Get back to me in 5 years and I'll let you know how it goes.

Higgins

Yes I do----solid player----older , mature. Excellent distributor and defender who can create his own shot . He'll likely be a point in the NBA and that will be somewhat of a change for him especially trying to run the Triangle but he has a high basketball IQ and I think he'll grasp the intricacies of it.

Connaughton tested off the charts at the Combine------44 vertical which was the best there. Can shoot a 3 and defend----going to need work on his handle but they all need work on something.

Supposedly he said they'll be no D-League or Overseas for him. If he doesn't make the club he'll go back the Orioles who gave him a half a million signing bonus to play for them last summer. He has a mid 90's fastball and they really think he has a chance.

My top 5 were
Karl-Anthony Towns
2. Kristaps Porzingis
3. Jahlil Okafor
4. Stanley Johnson (way under rated)
5. Emmanuel Mudiay
Honorable Mention Frank Kaminsky.

D’Angelo Russell has bust written all over his face. Three years from now people will say, what ever happed to Willie Cauley-Stein?

Yes I do----solid player----older , mature. Excellent distributor and defender who can create his own shot . He'll likely be a point in the NBA and that will be somewhat of a change for him especially trying to run the Triangle but he has a high basketball IQ and I think he'll grasp the intricacies of it.

Connaughton tested off the charts at the Combine------44 vertical which was the best there. Can shoot a 3 and defend----going to need work on his handle but they all need work on something.

Supposedly he said they'll be no D-League or Overseas for him. If he doesn't make the club he'll go back the Orioles who gave him a half a million signing bonus to play for them last summer. He has a mid 90's fastball and they really think he has a chance.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear. I looked at his tape and like his play,too. Decent jumper,play looks smart. Him and Galloway defending guard positions-hopeful.

Connaughton is special. I was really pulling for ND to win it this year.Great group of players and a solid coach. Not to mention that jersey kid who went there. Doesn't seem like theres a bad outcome for the kid.

Sanders and Williams-our defending guards. If they can defend well, we will be a decent team. How the 3-4 shakes out will be interesting.

My top 5 were
Karl-Anthony Towns
2. Kristaps Porzingis
3. Jahlil Okafor
4. Stanley Johnson (way under rated)
5. Emmanuel Mudiay
Honorable Mention Frank Kaminsky.

D’Angelo Russell has bust written all over his face. Three years from now people will say, what ever happed to Willie Cauley-Stein?

We agree about Russell. I won't go bust, but I'd bet he is never an all star.

Agree with you on Cauley-Stein - still has trouble catching the ball and has no offense at all. However, Russell has got Star written all over him in my book. As much as I love Towns, I wouldn't have blinked if Russell went number 1.

Yes, I do like Grant. He was a nice unexpected pick-up. But, IMO, nothing can save the Knicks' draft from the Porzingis blunder.

Why don't you like Pozi?Grant for Hardaway was a great steal.

Reactions: TheRacRU
Personally I think Russell will be an excellent Pro.

To me the guy who's questionable is Okafor. Enormous talent offensively but how do you have a 50 % FT shooter in the game at crunch time ? Duke played more zone this year than they did in the last 15 because they had to hide him. I don't think he's a well conditioned kid .

Because he's a kid all these things can be improved upon but one thing about the NBA that's a constant is the paint area is for men only and you need to be physical.

Who says Okafor has to be in at crunch time? If we're winning, we put Embiid and Noel in (I'm assuming a perfect world where everybody is healthy and whatnot). Embiid can shoot free throws at least and Noel, after being just as bad as Okafor in college, hit 61% for the year. If we're on offense, it's not like the other team will want to hack-a-shaq with the lead unless the guy was shooting Iguodala percentages in the finals.

Fair amount of McD AA's and college stars not drafted at all--even those who left early. Tons of internationals were drafted too meaning far less spots for US players.

High school players--unless you have a Karl Townes-like physique--need to realize that they are not going to play in then NBA, that they are not good enough to come in as 1 and dones. And they need to stop listening to shoe companies, the handlers and leeches, and the AAU snakes.

HS/AAU/College basketball is so broken. Way worse than football. I don't know how to fix it other than some of these recruits need to wise the frack up.

Last edited:
Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Football is heading that way-------these 7 on 7 teams have the same kind of guy coaching them in many cases.

PP-----Joel Embid----let him play 5 minutes before you factor him into the last 5 minutes.

Just one man's opinion but if I take a guy # 3 in the draft I have to believe he's going to help me win games. NBA games reach critical mass in the last 5 minutes most of the time----or they're blowouts.

I'll tell you what----Towns and Russell will be on the floor in the last 5 minutes for their teams.

As I said Okafor has a ton of talent------but he has some work to do .

Exactly.....totally counter to what the Knicks did just a year ago.

The Knicks will never be true contenders with 'Melo. I can't wait until he's gone. I hated the acquisition at the time. Still do.

I think D. Russell makes several all-star games. He has a natural feel at PG that you just can't teach. His passes hit teammates in perfect stride; he puts them in a position to score. (compare to our guards who'd often dish to a frontcourt player too far from the basket, or too close to a defender, resulting in a travel or charge.) DR has a nice mid-range J too.

His triple-double at the RAC last year was a pleasure to watch. Dominant in every facet of the game. Although I've seen him take plays off in other games, which was a bit disconcerting.

no one is winning anything with a team "built around" Anthony anyway. He's a surly punk.

I will not call him a punk but I am just so tired of Carmelo's antics. While he has terrific offensive skills I am not sure he makes anyone else on the team better. Admittedly I was never a fan of the trade but that was because I also can't stand Jim Dolan and he was pushing it on his basketball folks. Carmelo ought to keep his mouth shut and stop texting because all he does is turn off more Knick fans. He just feeds the perception of his selfishness. He is supposedly down on Phil for the Porsingus pick but once the Sixers took Okafor at three, was there a slam dunk better alternative for the long haul? The Jays and Jalen were pushing Winslow but he lasted six more picks!

You wonder many of this years free agents out there are dying to play with him. I bet not many but we will see. I though Melo was going to be leading our recruiting efforts but you don't hear much from him on that because he doesnt want the responsibility. I would be fine if he demanded a trade and waived his no trade clause. Not sure there would that many suitors lining up at the door to pick up the remaining 4 years of his deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT