ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA players to be paid for video game likeness

Under a probable settlement, current and former NCAA athletes will be paid by the NCAA and video game companies for the use of their likeness in video games. Amounts will not be large, mostly $1-2 thousand. But an additional awards will be given to named plaintiffs, including Ed O'Bannon and former RU QB Ryan Hart.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...o-game-settlement/ar-AAcwKhw?ocid=mailsignout

I don't play video games, but someone told me I look like a fan sitting in the stands at a football game in which Ryan Hart plays. Since each athlete whose likeness appears will get a minimum of $74, I should get a check for at least $.12

The lawyers are going to get $19 million.

You gotta love class action lawsuits.

Do QB's have to join the Screen Actor's Guild since they have speaking parts. How much do the refs get? What about the companies who pay for naming rights at the stadiums?

Ok being that I am a very young guy and still play games when I don't have classes, I can only imagine NCAA Football and basketball on PS4.

Ok being that I am a very young guy and still play games when I don't have classes, I can only imagine NCAA Football and basketball on PS4.

Well now that its been deemed unlawful to have a video game that depicts the likenesses of real NCAA players without paying them, most gaming companies are going to decide that it's not worth paying each college athlete they make into a video game character.

Meaning we will probably never have another NCAA video game ever again :cry:

Reactions: Rokodesh
Drop the pretense: pay the players and give them union benefits as university employees; allow their children to take classes for free if they remain employed by the university. Also make classes optional and only allow part-time credit loads; they have a full-time career.

Drop the pretense: pay the players and give them union benefits as university employees; allow their children to take classes for free if they remain employed by the university. Also make classes optional and only allow part-time credit loads; they have a full-time career.

You are a little late, all this has already happened at the University of North Carolina.

You are a little late, all this has already happened at the University of North Carolina.

Haha, that was good.

If that's actually how it went down, then they are trailblazers and are doing the right thing.

Under a probable settlement, current and former NCAA athletes will be paid by the NCAA and video game companies for the use of their likeness in video games. Amounts will not be large, mostly $1-2 thousand. But an additional awards will be given to named plaintiffs, including Ed O'Bannon and former RU QB Ryan Hart.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...o-game-settlement/ar-AAcwKhw?ocid=mailsignout

If the player names were generic & only the real names & numbers were added by fans, how do they determine which players are entitled to a paycheck? Does that guy who backed up Hart in 2004 (I completely forget his name) get a check just because the #2 QB for Rutgers in the NCAA game was black? And what about high level recruits who never made it to campus?

So basically Hart's likeness made more professionally playing on a video game than he himself made as a human :joy::joy: based on the $200k mentioned here.

this also discusses how rostered players, pictured players etc get paid.

And let me guess that players at Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, Notre Dinero, Oregon, and Texas stand to make more money than those at Rutgers. Another recruiting angle for coaches. And an enterprising program donor creates and sells a game with that program's team's players that is immensely popular with a team's fandom. And on and on ...

If the player names were generic & only the real names & numbers were added by fans, how do they determine which players are entitled to a paycheck? Does that guy who backed up Hart in 2004 (I completely forget his name) get a check just because the #2 QB for Rutgers in the NCAA game was black? And what about high level recruits who never made it to campus?
Terrence Shawell is who you are thinking of, and the problem isn't just that the #2 qb for Rutgers that year was black, but that he had the same height, weight and home state as the described player.

I know because one year I basically was the one who submitted the Rutgers roster.

Here are the factors that determine how, or if, a player gets paid, per USA Today:

— The validated claims rates.

— Whether a player's name appeared on a team roster.

— Whether his assigned jersey number appeared on a virtual avatar.

— Whether his photograph appeared in the game.

— Which years he appeared in a game as an avatar and/or had his photograph used in the game.

— The number of years in which a player was on a roster, appeared in the game as an avatar and/or had their photograph used in the game.

The forget any tax benefits to donations. Prepare to pay higher ticket prices, parking cost and concessions. Prepare to drop all but two or three sports. Watch all but a handful of schools play football at least at the highest level. Do you actually think Rutgers would be able to keep up with the salaries of top money makers? Bottom line is that if that was to happen schools like Rutgers would not be able to compete.

Let be honest players now have better benefits then most employees. Free education, free housing, free food, free healthcare. All they need is a retirement plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUskoolie
ADVERTISEMENT