ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska game in November

EastCoastHusker

Redshirt
Jun 12, 2001
My wife and I will be driving up for the game in November from Philly burbs. Been to a good number of campuses and stadiums around the country and looking forward to seeing the Huskers in a drive-able away game location. Not sure if it will be a noon or 3:30pm kickoff at this point, but we plan on getting on the ready very early either way and taking in some pregame activities.

Can you give me a breakdown on things to do/see and what we can expect as far as parking/tailgating/bar scene, etc.? Thank you and good luck this season.

Everyone here will have their own opinions but I think you should get into town at least a day early (even though you're local) and hit the restaurant/bar scene in New Brunswick. There are more than a few places to tie one on and get a good feel for the fanbase. If you're going to show up the morning of, tailgate, watch the game, then stroll into a bar or two, I think you're doing yourself a disservice.

We are contemplating making a weekend of it for sure. It's definitely an option. Is the stadium on campus and is the downtown bar scene walkable at all from campus?

Sometime last year we had a really awesome thread with great info for all visiting fans. Wish that thread had been pinned. We should have some sort of resource here for those visiting.

I agree if you can find a way to do an extra day and check out New Brunswick, you should. If you plan on just coming to the game, and coming early, I'd recommend tailgating in Johnson Park. It's a game day cash lot directly across the street from the stadium entrance. It fills early and I think it's $20 (maybe that's gone up). Keep in mind though that if it had recently rained, the lot could be closed since it gets very muddy. Another option would be the Greek church lot -- also game day parking and a very close walk to the stadium.

If you have a lot of time, roam around a bit and wander the various tailgate lots. We have a great tailgate scene (usually surprises visiting fans that don't know much about Rutgers). You'll find plenty of people who will offer up some food and beer and talk football with you.

See link for parking info -- the colored lots are season parking pass holders only.

http://www.scarletknights.com/facilities/parking.html

Stadium is not near the nightlife, but the 2 most popular hotels for overnight stays are (New Brunswick Hyatt & the Heldrich).

There's adult night life bars and student night life bars which are all walkable from the hotels.

If you're coming in the day of the game and don't have a prepaid pass, you'll likely have to park at the Athletic Center where I'm guessing you'll find a lot of Husker fans tailgating. You then take the bus to the stadium. They run continuously starting 2-3 hours before kickoff. Very easy, short ride to the stadium. PITA getting back. It drops you off maybe 250 yards from the stadium. If you take the bus over early, you'll find yourself surrounded by the season ticketholder lots and no doubt be warmly welcomed and invited to stop at several if you're rocking your NU gear. There's also the fan zone and the Miller Lite party (band, food, beer) just a short walk from where the bus drops you off. May want to steer clear of the Blue Lot by the soccer stadium. It can be a bit much lol. Across the street from the Miller party is the 1st game statue, scarlet walk, then the stadium.

Can't help with anything in New Brunswick. I only pass through.

Great info. Thank you all. Looking forward to the game this season and future trips to your stadium. Nothing beats college football tradition and gamedays.

As someone else posted, you can avoid the shuttle bus from the athletic center parking if you arrive 3 hours before the game and park in Johnson park across the stadium. Same goes for the Greek church parking lot.

I know the Huskers have a great fanbase and will probably have a great presence in Johnson park by arriving early.

The rest of the walkable lots are prepaid for season ticket holders. Take a look at the map somebody else posted. May be fun for you to do a loop through these lots to check out the scene if you don't mind walking.

Note that if park in johnson park, tailgate and then go straight to the stadium without walking around, you will not get a feel for 90% of the tailgate scene.

Hope this helps

Someone explain to me how the bars are not walkable to the stadium? Think Annapolis downtown to navy-marine corps stadium.

Someone explain to me how the bars are not walkable to the stadium? Think Annapolis downtown to navy-marine corps stadium.
because RU fans are spoiled and love to complain. It's like the RAC parking, people always complain about the bus lines and waits. Meanwhile at most B1G schools you have to walk a similar distance with no bus option. RV lot at OSU was so far we hired a guy to pull us with his bike.

+1

I still have the annotated photos and maps that I created for that thread saved on my computer if anyone is interested...

This question has been asked and answered many times by visiting fans and the responses have been tremendous. We should have a repository for this query and it looks like HPNJRU fan is on the job. Can I appoint you as the keeper of the repository? This would be a great help for future visitors that ask. One question and a compendium of answers.

Husker,

The following site is a lilltle outdated (Grease Trucks are mostly scattered) but is still very helpful:

http://texanmarktailgate.blogspot.com/2011/07/rutgers-tailgate-and-visitors-guide-11.html

This is a very good site listing all of the fine dining restaurants in New Brunswick:

http://www.newbrunswick.com/content.php?content=ests&type=dnl&cat=4

The best of the Fine Dinning Restaurants on that site are: Catherine Lombardi, Clydz, Due Mari, Stage Left, Steakhouse 85 and The Frog & The Peach.

Last edited:
FWIW, we happily host non-dickish visiting fans at our tailgate. As long as they're not PSU fans.

I guess that's redundant...

Reactions: bobaloo000
I would guess that they are walkable depending on your age and physical ability. The OP has not mentioned his and his wife's age. Last visit to Annapolis we took the taxi while the Midshipmen marched. But then again I'm 45 years older than them.

FWIW, we happily host non-dickish visiting fans at our tailgate. As long as they're not PSU fans.

I guess that's redundant...

Hey, I'm resemble that remark, well, except for the part about being dickish. I'd never turn away a visitor at my tailgate. So if you'd like to stop by this fall, the information on how to find my tailgate is in the QR tag in my avatar.

Reactions: MrsScrew
The visiting universities' official alumni tailgates are always by the Visitor Center, which is about 300 yards from the stadium, in case you're considering attending Nebraska's tailgate.

Hey, I'm resemble that remark, well, except for the part about being dickish. I'd never turn away a visitor at my tailgate. So if you'd like to stop by this fall, the information on how to find my tailgate is in the QR tag in my avatar.

Stylish.

The tailgate policy re: PSU fans isn't personal. We had a group next to us last year and they were fine, we had a good time (and even chased away some drunk loudmouth RU fans who were bothering them).

Some of these may be a bit out of date now (as they are about a year old), but its a start. Will add the "legends" where applicable when I have time a bit later (or I suppose we could play a game if anyone wants ;))...

Distance (as the crow flies) from Stadium to non-downtown, surrounding hotel areas:
YvpKcpJ.jpg

Walking distance from NB train station to stadium:
NNrOtYI.jpg

Overview of stadium lots:
w9cWYke.jpg

Stadium area detail:
ssyeLXq.jpg

Shuttles:
xh61gAJ.jpg

New Brunswick overview:
olnJzJL.jpg

Easton Ave bars/restaurants, etc:
ymnfIi9.jpg

George St/Downtown bars/restaurants:
sBqo3oc.jpg

Reactions: G- RUnit
ECH: as someone who went to Lincoln last year for the RU/NU game and had a blast I will say that while the RU bars are within walking distance they are not anywhere near as close as the NU bars are.
the tailgate scene at Rutgers is all about parking your car in the lots, setting up tents and grills and opening coolers to have a great time. I did not see a lot of that when we were there, it seemed to be more of the 6am tailgate on the rooftop of Daves and having a Bloody Mary with the beef jerky straw (an ingenious idea by the way).

As previously mentioned, there is great dining in downtown NB along with great bars, all within easy walking distance to the Hyatt or the Heldrich hotels. There is a shuttle from downtown NB to the games as well.

Our tailgate is always open to fans (as 4Real stated, the non-dickish type) from opposing teams and personally I'd be happy to pay back some of the hospitality shown to Mr Screw and I out in Lincoln. I know we will be hosting a bunch of other NU people including a frequent NU poster on this board.

Sadly we do not have Runzas. sigh. but we do have the Statue commemorating the first college football game played.

From everything I've read here and elsewhere, a dickish NU fan is very hard to find. They are supposed to be the nicest and as many here have first hand knowledge, most generous fans to visitors around. I hope they get treated the same when they come here. I had a great time meeting and talking football with Michigan fans last year. I'm expecting more of the same come November.

Rutgers hosting Nebraska! Being in the B1G is so f'n cool.

I may be biased, but I don't think you will find many if any bad NU fans coming to Rutgers this fall. Don't get me started on my visit to Happy Valley in '02. Wow to say the least. My dad actually feared for his safety and has told me he will never to go another college football game again unfortunately. I had plenty of friends at PSU all through the late 90's and never saw a scene like that night in my life at PSU. Went back with my wife in '11 (first game without Paterno) and obviously if a lot more somber game day atmosphere.

If you want a second trip, NU wrestling will visit the RAC in December. There will be a great crowd and a lot of excitement for that match. $$$$

From everything I've read here and elsewhere, a dickish NU fan is very hard to find. They are supposed to be the nicest and as many here have first hand knowledge, most generous fans to visitors around. I hope they get treated the same when they come here. I had a great time meeting and talking football with Michigan fans last year. I'm expecting more of the same come November.

ON A REGULAR BASIS AS A CONFERENCE OPPONENT GOING FORWARD!

(and yes I know I am shouting - lol)

This.
We had a great trip to Lincoln last Fall. The Husker fans could not be more friendly and accommodating .

You should pin this to the top for visiting fans. Very helpful.

Some of these may be a bit out of date now (as they are about a year old), but its a start. Will add the "legends" where applicable when I have time a bit later (or I suppose we could play a game if anyone wants ;))...

Distance (as the crow flies) from Stadium to non-downtown, surrounding hotel areas:
YvpKcpJ.jpg

Walking distance from NB train station to stadium:
NNrOtYI.jpg

Overview of stadium lots:
w9cWYke.jpg

Stadium area detail:
ssyeLXq.jpg

Shuttles:
xh61gAJ.jpg

New Brunswick overview:
olnJzJL.jpg

Easton Ave bars/restaurants, etc:
ymnfIi9.jpg

George St/Downtown bars/restaurants:
sBqo3oc.jpg

There are a surprisingly large number of NU fans/alum's in the Northeast. I know the NU game watch site in NYC has a huge turnout every Sat. and I belong to the PA4NU group here near Philly and we probably have 70+ fans some Saturdays in the fall for our game watch parties. The 2 PA alum chapters are putting together group tickets for the game at Rutgers and last I saw the list is probably at 75+ ticket requests so far, and everyone in the group is very respectful and looking forward to a great mini road trip to NJ.

ADVERTISEMENT