ADVERTISEMENT

New Attitude at Rutgers?

rutgersnyc

Senior
Sep 6, 2001
For years (under Lawrence, McCormick) I thought that everyone at Rutgers had their collective heads in the sand. Denial about everything - fund raising, sinking US News ranking, a deteriorating College Ave campus. Now it seems that the admin is coming clean - lamenting how badly we stack up against our Big 10 rivals in virtually everything. One of the recent Alum Mags had an excellent article . I think this is a healthy change. Just convincing every non-contributing alumnus to send in $10 a year would be a start - $10 to help Rutgers compete Academically and Athletically in the Big 10.

Reactions: RUKeystone
For years (under Lawrence, McCormick) I thought that everyone at Rutgers had their collective heads in the sand. Denial about everything - fund raising, sinking US News ranking, a deteriorating College Ave campus. Now it seems that the admin is coming clean - lamenting how badly we stack up against our Big 10 rivals in virtually everything. One of the recent Alum Mags had an excellent article . I think this is a healthy change. Just convincing every non-contributing alumnus to send in $10 a year would be a start - $10 to help Rutgers compete Academically and Athletically in the Big 10.

Yup. It's about time. Having lived in BIG country, it's good to see Rutgers finally acting like a real major public university.

I haven't been following things as closely as I used to, but my impression is that Barchi is doing a darn good job trying to move RU forward.

I think Barchi is much less worried about speaking about weaknesses. I think McCormick did a lot to address weaknesses and recognized them but wasn't as comfortable acknowledging them publicly.

As far as the idea of "convincing every non-contributing alumnus to send in $10 a year" - no one will do that and it shouldn't be a worry. But it's clear that continued upgrades in fundraising (which have been greatly improved) should and will continue to be a priority under Barchi.

Barchi will be 69 in the Fall. He has now served three years as President. I wonder how long he is going to stay on. One thing is for sure: that he is going to continue to try to change Rutgers as long as he is here.

Barchi will be 69 in the Fall. He has now served three years as President. I wonder how long he is going to stay on. One thing is for sure: that he is going to continue to try to change Rutgers as long as he is here.

Camden, is your overall impression of him favorable?

Camden, is your overall impression of him favorable?
I really don't have an overall impression. One thing is for sure: he's certainly in a hurry to get things done at Rutgers. I guess I'd feel better about him if he cared more about legal education; the master plan notes that we're not at a B1G level, but doesn't propose doing anything about it.

I have no idea why,but I have never seen so many people wearing Rutgers gear and cars with "R" magnets on them. The last three months,there seems to have been a HUGE increase.

I really don't have an overall impression. One thing is for sure: he's certainly in a hurry to get things done at Rutgers. I guess I'd feel better about him if he cared more about legal education; the master plan notes that we're not at a B1G level, but doesn't propose doing anything about it.
Do mean the law schools or
Rutgers overall?

Because IMO it only matters if the flagship gets to B1G level.

Do mean the law schools or
Rutgers overall?

Because IMO it only matters if the flagship gets to B1G level.

I was referring specifically to the law schools (well, actually, in a month "a law school.") And getting the University as a whole to the B1G level will be more difficult if Rutgers does not have a B1G quality law school.

I was referring specifically to the law schools (well, actually, in a month "a law school.") And getting the University as a whole to the B1G level will be more difficult if Rutgers does not have a B1G quality law school.

For 2015 US News has them as follows:

Mich - 11
Northwestern -12
Minnesota - 20
Wisky - 31
Indiana - 34
Ohio State - 34
Illinois - 41
Penn State - 71
Rutgers - Newark - 87
Michigan State - 94
Rutgers - Camden - 102

For 2015 US News has them as follows:

Mich - 11
Northwestern -12
Minnesota - 20
Wisky - 31
Indiana - 34
Ohio State - 34
Illinois - 41
Penn State - 71
Rutgers - Newark - 87
Michigan State - 94
Rutgers - Camden - 102
I am too lazy to look but how many of them are on B1G campuses?

How is merging the law schools "doing nothing"?
Having a single administrative structure with a single mission is the first step.

It's exactly the same premise as merging the New Brunswick undergraduate colleges was.

You have to start somewhere.

Having a single administrative structure with a single mission is the first step.

It's exactly the same premise as merging the New Brunswick undergraduate colleges was.

A merger means nothing without money. Nothing means anything without money. And it is not at all clear that there will be a single administrative structure.

I know Northwestern's is not on the campus, but rather near downtown Chicago. So what?

I think NW is the only exception, but I could be wrong. They have a prime spot in downtown Chicago, across the street from the lake. It's definitely not a liability to be off-campus in their case.

I think NW is the only exception, but I could be wrong. They have a prime spot in downtown Chicago, across the street from the lake. It's definitely not a liability to be off-campus in their case.

Maryland's law school is up in Baltimore, not on the College Park campus.

Does Purdue have a law school? If not, I believe it's the only one of 14 B1G universities without one.

Maryland's law school is up in Baltimore, not on the College Park campus.

Does Purdue have a law school? If not, I believe it's the only one of 14 B1G universities without one.

You're correct about Maryland, and you're right that Purdue doesn't have a law school.

Just MD and NW....TTFP passed us once they moved to State College.

I don't know the details, but there seems to be a complicated situation at Penn State that is leading to having two law schools: one at Happy Valley and the other in Harrisburg (I think), Dickinson's original location. They just found it too hard to have one law school with two campuses. It is not impossible that could happen here, but no one is rooting for that.

No, its not particularly the same thing. The New Brunswick students were taking the same classes with each other from the same professors.The law students will basically have no overlap.

Marylands law school is not really affiliated with UMCP. The relationship is not like ours (or presumably Northwesterns), where the smaller campuses are still under control of the university's central board. The board at CP has no say as to what goes on in Baltimore. They are both under the umbrella of the university system of Maryland, of which both UMCP and UMB are members.

Somewhat ironically - the outgoing chancellor of the USM has a Masters and Doctorate from Rutgers.

No, its not particularly the same thing. The New Brunswick students were taking the same classes with each other from the same professors.The law students will basically have no overlap.

Marylands law school is not really affiliated with UMCP. The relationship is not like ours (or presumably Northwesterns), where the smaller campuses are still under control of the university's central board. The board at CP has no say as to what goes on in Baltimore. They are both under the umbrella of the university system of Maryland, of which both UMCP and UMB are members.

Somewhat ironically - the outgoing chancellor of the USM has a Masters and Doctorate from Rutgers.

Great post, What else is in Baltimore beside the law school? Are there other UM units there, such as other professional schools?

The relationship is not like ours (or presumably Northwesterns), where the smaller campuses are still under control of the university's central board. The board at CP has no say as to what goes on in Baltimore. They are both under the umbrella of the university system of Maryland, of which both UMCP and UMB are members.

Actually, it is pretty similar to the governance model as Rutgers.

At Maryland, the Board of Regents is responsible for the corporate entity and oversees all campuses. At Rutgers, the Board of Governors has the same role (but Rutgers also has the Board of Trustees which provides a check on certain functions of the BOG).

At Maryland, the Board of Regents hires the Chancellor who is the Chief Executive Officer of the University. At Rutgers the Board of Governors hires the President who is the Chief Executive Officer of the University.

At Maryland, each campus has a President who is in charge of that campus. At Rutgers, each campus has a Chancellor who is in charge of that campus.

The main difference is that at Rutgers, the position of Chancellor is new for New Brunswick. Richard Edwards was only appointed to the role last year (after serving as interim chancellor). Previously the University President had the dual role of running the University and running the campus. And since Newark and Camden were so much smaller than New Brunswick, those campuses were essentially treated as satellite campuses. The new strategic plan and new governance model allows the three campuses to operate independently (but still under the control of the BOG), similarly to how the multiple campuses operate at single corporate unit state universities in Maryland, North Carolina, and elsewhere.

Law, Medicine, Public Health, Nursing, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Social Work

Thanks. So it really is a professional school campus. Newark has had this vision for itself from time to time. It's really not practical at Camden, where the undergraduate programs account for about 90% of campus enrollment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT