ADVERTISEMENT

Newest numbers for conference payoffs

Scarlet_Scourge

Hall of Famer
May 25, 2012
SEC is now the new king at $31.07 million per school per year.

The total amount of the distribution is composed of revenue generated from the SEC Network, televised football, bowl games, the SEC football championship, televised basketball, the SEC men's basketball tournament, NCAA championships and a supplemental surplus distribution.

No one else is close.

However, the Big Ten should blow that number away when it re-does it's new TV contracts for Football and MBB.

I've said before that this is the year we find out what the baseline for the SEC's revenue would be. Everything is included now, all renegotiations are over and now the SEC network is being included in the figures. The numbers will grow from here as the contract payouts grow annually but I wouldn't expect any more giant leaps in revenue for the duration. I'd expect the biggest gains left for the SEC would be when they payoff whatever startup costs might have been incurred by the creation of the SEC network.

The B10 is the only left with a renegotiation on the horizon. $$$$

Agreed that B1G is operating under an old TV deal (compared to other conferences) and numbers will look different for 2017-2018 (1st year of a new TV deal).

So the SEC's revenue distribution is based on the current fiscal year (2014-2015 due to end August 1), and yet the article makes a comparison of the B1G's revenue distribution of 338.9M from a year ago for the 2013-2014 year. Let's see what the B1G's distribution is for this 2014-2015 year. Obviously, the SEC benefited from the 1st year of the SEC Network, however, both Conferences should benefit from the new College Bowls playoff format and its new revenue structure.

Also, there were articles last year estimating the SEC Conference would benefit from anywhere between an additional $15M - $20M per team this year due to the new SEC Network, and the increase is approximately $10M per team, falling short of what the media was reporting as estimated range. Regardless, the SEC number is impressive.

Reactions: FlintTown

The total amount of the distribution is composed of revenue generated from the SEC Network, televised football, bowl games, the SEC football championship, televised basketball, the SEC men's basketball tournament, NCAA championships and a supplemental surplus distribution.

No one else is close.

However, the Big Ten should blow that number away when it re-does it's new TV contracts for Football and MBB.
-------------------

the big 10 distributed 339 million.....was that not split between 12 teams for the 2013 season, working out to a bit over 28 million per team...
if this is correct, not so far behind those figures, with the new contract waiting in the wings that will up that total...i

-------------------

the big 10 distributed 339 million.....was that not split between 12 teams for the 2013 season, working out to a bit over 28 million per team...
if this is correct, not so far behind those figures, with the new contract waiting in the wings that will up that total...i

It worked out to $24 million and change. $24.6 or something like that.

-------------------

Nebraska doesn't get full share until 2017-2018, so last year's numbers provided for 11 teams gaining full share

Also, there were articles last year estimating the SEC Conference would benefit from anywhere between an additional $15M - $20M per team this year due to the new SEC Network, and the increase is approximately $10M per team, falling short of what the media was reporting as estimated range. Regardless, the SEC number is impressive.

That had to be the case. The media simply doesn't know how to calculate payouts from these conference networks, for whatever reason. I actually tested the formula they use, and it doesn't work out. For example, for the last couple of years, the BTN paid out ~$7.5 million to each team. If you use the formula the media calculates for the SEC, then the Big Ten should have gotten ~$14 million, so their formula is off by double.

It sounds like the SECN paid out about $5 million per school. They got basically $21 million last year, and $31 million this year, so that's $10 million extra. About half of that came from the new playoff money, so that would leave about $5 million for the network, which would be what Ray Tanner predicted last month.

Edit: I just noticed something else. The $31.07 figure is just divided 14 ways, not taking into account the share for the conference. That would work out to $29 million per school. What would be good to know is if the $20.9 million figure from last year accounts for the conference share.

Last edited:
All of that jump in revenue for the SEC isn't just from the SEC network. This also should be the first year for the payouts from the championship games. So some of it is from that too and we'll see that bump for all the conferences.

When do we start getting some real money in the door?
I don't think we'll be getting any significant jumps for the first few years. I think in the 10-11.5M range for a bit then to 15, 20, 25 and full share. Now I don't know if anything has changed but I believe those were the rough projections last spring.

No one else is close.

One thing to remember about SEC's total is that includes $$$ from just Year 1 of SEC NETWORK, a network that wasnt scheduled to earn any profit till Year 3 that was able to produce approx $5 Million per school this year.

These $$ from SEC will only go up in the coming years.

I don't think we'll be getting any significant jumps for the first few years. I think in the 10-11.5M range for a bit then to 15, 20, 25 and full share. Now I don't know if anything has changed but I believe those were the rough projections last spring.

I have no doubt this has been answered a thousand times, so my apologies, but what year (or season) do we start getting a full share?

There is great SEC football their SEC #s get propped up by the ESPN packaging of channels which SECN by cable providers. ESPN is fighting cable providers like FIOS tooth and nail in the courts not to allow customers to select their own menu of channels. That will definitely hurt ESPN and other channels that customers don't want to pay for.

GO RU

Edit: I just noticed something else. The $31.07 figure is just divided 14 ways, not taking into account the share for the conference. That would work out to $29 million per school. What would be good to know is if the $20.9 million figure from last year accounts for the conference share.

The SEC took $20MM off the top. Total revenues were $455MM with $435MM distributed between 14 teams.

I would be curious, what do the Group of 5 teams make per year per school? That will really the great divide between the P5 and G5 schools.

That had to be the case. The media simply doesn't know how to calculate payouts from these conference networks, for whatever reason. I actually tested the formula they use, and it doesn't work out. For example, for the last couple of years, the BTN paid out ~$7.5 million to each team. If you use the formula the media calculates for the SEC, then the Big Ten should have gotten ~$14 million, so their formula is off by double.

It sounds like the SECN paid out about $5 million per school. They got basically $21 million last year, and $31 million this year, so that's $10 million extra. About half of that came from the new playoff money, so that would leave about $5 million for the network, which would be what Ray Tanner predicted last month.

The problem is this case is that one idiot, Clay Travis wrote an article about SEC network profits and other media outlets used his figures. Unfortunately, Travis didn't seem to understand both that revenue does not equal profit and that ESPN would be wanting a cut of the dough as well.

That being said, if the SEC is at $31million+ with only $5million in network revenue per school, they do seem likely to eventually get to the $40 million figure most people expect the B1G to approach or exceed, and there is a good chance those two conferences (along with ND and Texas) end up on a whole different level than the other three.

The article says the Big 12 is "north of $250M" for 9 teams... so that's $27.8M+ on average (not sure how they divide their cash right now). Not too far from $31.1M.

Big Ten worked out to $24.2M per team if everyone got an equal share. Assuming Rutgers/Maryland got, say, half shares (just to get a ballpark number), it'd be about $26.1 for the other 12 teams. If RU/MD got 1/3 shares, it'd work out to about $26.8M for the other 12.

The article says the Big 12 is "north of $250M" for 9 teams... so that's $27.8M+ on average (not sure how they divide their cash right now). Not too far from $31.1M.

Big Ten worked out to $24.2M per team if everyone got an equal share. Assuming Rutgers/Maryland got, say, half shares (just to get a ballpark number), it'd be about $26.1 for the other 12 teams. If RU/MD got 1/3 shares, it'd work out to about $26.8M for the other 12.

Big Ten has not released FY2015 (2014-2015) revenue distribution. Figure quoted in the article is last year of which Rutgers/Maryland received $0 and Nebraska did not receive a full cut. SEC number is 1 year ahead of the B1G.

I would assume that the SEC payment for the SECN will increaseas
I would be curious, what do the Group of 5 teams make per year per school? That will really the great divide between the P5 and G5 schools.
None of them even make what we made in the Big East which was $10 million or so a year in the end. I would guess most make less than $5 million in conference revenues. The gap between the haves and have-nots is just enormous at this point, and it will grow even more as the Big Ten gets its new contract and the SECN works off its startup costs and starts returning more to the conference teams.

Why are you dividing by 12? The figure for the Big 12 comes out to $25 million per school. It's $22.7 if you factor in a share for the conference.

OOPS!!! 250/10 = $25 million per school. then fees.

So that is right. Some schools have extra money on top of that number like Texas, etc.

And A&M and Mizzou...fully vested from day 1...cash money...honey! The SEC exit fee stands at a staggering $0.00

It's funny three years later to witness everyone of the dire predictions (mainly from the emasculate bovine mouth pieces) vaporize!

And A&M and Mizzou...fully vested from day 1...cash money...honey! The SEC exit fee stands at a staggering $0.00

It's funny three years later to witness everyone of the dire predictions (mainly from the emasculate bovine mouth pieces) vaporize!
???
Who predicted the demise of the SEC?
I don't recall any talk like that.

???
Who predicted the demise of the SEC?
I don't recall any talk like that.

There was not...the dire predictions I'm talking about are about the demise of A&M and MU specifically: isolated beyond its rivals in a "strange land" foreign to them. It is these two schools that served as catalysts for the SECN...

The SEC is not folding...ever and the B1G will be as rich or richer soon...I'm just beyond delighted that both my schools landed in WAY better spots...

On another board I frequent I'm enjoying the spin being spun! Hehehehehehehehe! Everyone who could leave the big dumpster fire conference, left the BDF...and landed in an infinitely better place! Amen!

B12 with record revenue as well. Like I said the playoff money will give all the conferences a nice bump. They made 27M this year vs. 23M last year so a 4M dollar bump. Not bad. It doesn't include tier 3 though. Bowlsby, their commissioner says some schools made more than the SEC schools when you include tier 3.

I'd say that for Texas (with their 15M) and maybe OU but don't know about the others. The thing is though even tier 3 can be split. There's tier 3 tv rights like what these conference networks are but there's also tier 3 for other stuff which doesn't include tv. So basically Texas earns more in tier 3 than just their 15M tv rights from ESPN. Same for the ACC teams earning tier 3 revenue, outside of the 3 tiers of tv rights they've given to ESPN. But for the others in the B12 unless you actually splice out the tier 3 tv rights for the individual schools, I don't know that you get an apples to apples comparison of revenue to the other conference's schools with revenue included from only tv rights (tier 1-3).

I believe the B10 distributed 25.9M for full members last year so I'd expect at least a couple million bump per school because of the playoff money. Reported projections have been in the 30M range though for 2014-2015. I'm sure they will release their numbers soon along with the ACC too.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/29/big-12-sets-record-for-big-revenue-too/

B12 with record revenue as well. Like I said the playoff money will give all the conferences a nice bump. They made 27M this year vs. 23M last year so a 4M dollar bump. Not bad. It doesn't include tier 3 though. Bowlsby, their commissioner says some schools made more than the SEC schools when you include tier 3.

I'd say that for Texas (with their 15M) and maybe OU but don't know about the others. The thing is though even tier 3 can be split. There's tier 3 tv rights like what these conference networks are but there's also tier 3 for other stuff which doesn't include tv. So basically Texas earns more in tier 3 than just their 15M tv rights from ESPN. Same for the ACC teams earning tier 3 revenue, outside of the 3 tiers of tv rights they've given to ESPN. But for the others in the B12 unless you actually splice out the tier 3 tv rights for the individual schools, I don't know that you get an apples to apples comparison of revenue to the other conference's schools with revenue included from only tv rights (tier 1-3).

I believe the B10 distributed 25.9M for full members last year so I'd expect at least a couple million bump per school because of the playoff money. Reported projections have been in the 30M range though for 2014-2015. I'm sure they will release their numbers soon along with the ACC too.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/29/big-12-sets-record-for-big-revenue-too/

Yes, you do get an apples to apples comparison with just TV rights/conference payouts. Tier 3 rights are self-generated. (Yes, I know the TV rights are included in some conference contracts. Not really the point here.) The point is, Big 12 schools add Tier 3 money on top of their $27 million, and the SEC schools add Tier 3 money on top of their $31 million. If you are trying to analyze the value of each conference, then the payouts are an apples-to-apples comparison.

One other point about Texas. $15 million is the entire amount of their Tier 3 revenue. Texas's Tier 3 rights are all bundled into one package, which is owned by IMG. IMG is the one who has the contract with ESPN, not Texas. ESPN cuts a singe check to IMG, and then IMG splits that with Texas. The $15 million is what IMG pays Texas for their entire Tier 3 rights. That includes the LHN, plus radio broadcasts and things like that.

Yes, you do get an apples to apples comparison with just TV rights/conference payouts. Tier 3 rights are self-generated. (Yes, I know the TV rights are included in some conference contracts. Not really the point here.) The point is, Big 12 schools add Tier 3 money on top of their $27 million, and the SEC schools add Tier 3 money on top of their $31 million. If you are trying to analyze the value of each conference, then the payouts are an apples-to-apples comparison.

One other point about Texas. $15 million is the entire amount of their Tier 3 revenue. Texas's Tier 3 rights are all bundled into one package, which is owned by IMG. IMG is the one who has the contract with ESPN, not Texas. ESPN cuts a singe check to IMG, and then IMG splits that with Texas. The $15 million is what IMG pays Texas for their entire Tier 3 rights. That includes the LHN, plus radio broadcasts and things like that.
Really? I didn't realize that about Texas. I thought they made additional money on top of the 15M but I'd have to see if I can find that again.

The tier 3 money on top of the 27 million for B12 schools includes tv rights (not included in that 27M conference distribution). The tier 3 money on top of the 31M for the SEC doesn't include tv rights because that has been bundled up into the SEC network (included in 31M conference distribution). So while B12 conference doesn't include tier 3 tv rights in its conference distribution and all the other conferences do include tier 3 tv rights inside their conference distribution, I'm not sure how you can call it apples to apples between conference distributions without splicing out the B12's tier 3 tv rights of each school.

I found a Forbes article and I was right Texas gets more than the 15M in other multimedia rights. Of that 15M from ESPN, Texas gets 13M and IMG gets 2M. However, Texas also gets 10M from other multimedia rights and that's what I'm referring to in other when I'm talking about other tier 3 rights.

From the article:

And there’s little doubt that Texas, college football’s most valuable program, still reigns supreme thanks to the Longhorn Network, the school-specific sports network that commands $15 million annually fromESPN. Texas gets close to $13 million of that payout (the rest goes to media rights partner IMG College), plus another $10 million or so for the school’s more traditional multimedia rights.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...l-is-lucrative-but-not-especially-impressive/

Last edited:
Really? I didn't realize that about Texas. I thought they made additional money on top of the 15M but I'd have to see if I can find that again.

The tier 3 money on top of the 27 million for B12 schools includes tv rights (not included in that 27M conference distribution). The tier 3 money on top of the 31M for the SEC doesn't include tv rights because that has been bundled up into the SEC network (included in 31M conference distribution). So while B12 conference doesn't include tier 3 tv rights in its conference distribution and all the other conferences do include tier 3 tv rights inside their conference distribution, I'm not sure how you can call it apples to apples between conference distributions without splicing out the B12's tier 3 tv rights of each school.

I found a Forbes article and I was right Texas gets more than the 15M in other multimedia rights. Of that 15M from ESPN, Texas gets 13M and IMG gets 2M. However, Texas also gets 10M from other multimedia rights and that's what I'm referring to in other when I'm talking about other tier 3 rights.

From the article:

And there’s little doubt that Texas, college football’s most valuable program, still reigns supreme thanks to the Longhorn Network, the school-specific sports network that commands $15 million annually fromESPN. Texas gets close to $13 million of that payout (the rest goes to media rights partner IMG College), plus another $10 million or so for the school’s more traditional multimedia rights.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/04/23/alabamas-new-media-rights-deal-is-lucrative-but-not-especially-impressive/

It's apples to apples, because the TV rights to Tier 3 are not that valuable. Those are mostly games against mid-major teams or AA teams. Those rights offer minimal value individually. (For example, Kansas St won't make $10 million a year off a game vs. Stephen F. Austin.) The only significant value for Tier 3 TV rights is when they are leveraged collectively, such as the BTN or SECN.

That's the reason it's apples to apples. The value for the individual school's Tier 3 rights is nowhere close to what they bring collectively. If a conference like the Big 12 doesn't have a network, the individual Tier 3 rights won't offset that, in comparison to another conference. For example, Oklahoma makes $6.5 million from Tier 3, with the TV rights. North Carolina makes $11 million, without the TV rights. See, the TV rights aren't making up the difference.

That's still incorrect about Texas. They don't get extra money. Here is the actual contract between ESPN and IMG for the LHN:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byz...S00ZWZlLTkxYTAtZTMzMjhiMDJmYzY0/edit?hl=en_US

It's apples to apples, because the TV rights to Tier 3 are not that valuable. Those are mostly games against mid-major teams or AA teams. Those rights offer minimal value individually. (For example, Kansas St won't make $10 million a year off a game vs. Stephen F. Austin.) The only significant value for Tier 3 TV rights is when they are leveraged collectively, such as the BTN or SECN.

That's the reason it's apples to apples. The value for the individual school's Tier 3 rights is nowhere close to what they bring collectively. If a conference like the Big 12 doesn't have a network, the individual Tier 3 rights won't offset that, in comparison to another conference. For example, Oklahoma makes $6.5 million from Tier 3, with the TV rights. North Carolina makes $11 million, without the TV rights. See, the TV rights aren't making up the difference.

That's still incorrect about Texas. They don't get extra money. Here is the actual contract between ESPN and IMG for the LHN:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byz...S00ZWZlLTkxYTAtZTMzMjhiMDJmYzY0/edit?hl=en_US
I agree they're not that valuable which is why I only singled out Texas/OU but pretty much the rest I said I don't know and assume that they don't make much from tier 3 tv. I never said they'd make up the difference, I said it's just not an apples to apples because you're not getting the same picture when it comes to the B12 vs. all the other conferences.

It's not only football though, it would be some basketball games and their Olympic sports as well, etc...How much is that worth? Are those tier 3 tv rights as negligible as you make it or could they be worth 1-2M or so. I've never seen the tv figure spliced out for a school's tier 3 rights so I don't really know. I thought Texas was an exception to that with their 15M but you say otherwise. If it's in that 1-2M range while it doesn't make up the difference I don't consider it negligible and that's all I'm saying when I say it's not true apples to apples because I don't think you can say eh that type of money isn't a big deal when tallying up the numbers for the conference distributions. What is your estimation about what the value of these tier 3 tv rights for these schools are worth. Obviously it will vary from school to school but just an average range that you think.

Texas' 15M I did think was a tv figure spliced out of their tier 3 and the article I quoted says that. You posted a link to the contract but I'm not going to look through the whole thing. Can you point out what page it is or quote the part where it says all of Texas' tier 3 money is 15M and there aren't any additional multimedia rights.

BTW another source this time from SBD which says the same thing.

Texas, which has its multimedia rights with IMG College, makes $15 million annually from ESPN for the Longhorn Network, while its more traditional multimedia rights generate close to $10 million, for a total of $25 million a year.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/04/21/Colleges/Alabama.aspx

Last edited:
I agree they're not that valuable which is why I only singled out Texas/OU but pretty much the rest I said I don't know and assume that they don't make much from tier 3 tv. I never said they'd make up the difference, I said it's just not an apples to apples because you're not getting the same picture when it comes to the B12 vs. all the other conferences.

It's not only football though, it would be some basketball games and their Olympic sports as well, etc...How much is that worth? Are those tier 3 tv rights as negligible as you make it or could they be worth 1-2M or so. I've never seen the tv figure spliced out for a school's tier 3 rights so I don't really know. I thought Texas was an exception to that with their 15M but you say otherwise. If it's in that 1-2M range while it doesn't make up the difference I don't consider it negligible and that's all I'm saying when I say it's not true apples to apples because I don't think you can say eh that type of money isn't a big deal when tallying up the numbers for the conference distributions. What is your estimation about what the value of these tier 3 tv rights for these schools are worth. Obviously it will vary from school to school but just an average range that you think.

Texas' 15M I did think was a tv figure spliced out of their tier 3 and the article I quoted says that. You posted a link to the contract but I'm not going to look through the whole thing. Can you point out what page it is or quote the part where it says all of Texas' tier 3 money is 15M and there aren't any additional multimedia rights.

BTW another source this time from SBD which says the same thing.

Texas, which has its multimedia rights with IMG College, makes $15 million annually from ESPN for the Longhorn Network, while its more traditional multimedia rights generate close to $10 million, for a total of $25 million a year.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/04/21/Colleges/Alabama.aspx

Pages 16-18 of the contract. It says:

ESPN agrees to pay Licensor (that's IMG) the following consideration for each Contract Year....

Then it states the amount: $10.9 million, which is called the "Minimum Annual Guarantee Royalty."

Then it states:

The AGR .....shall be paid to IMG.

Then it states:

IMG shall be responsible for remitting to UT its share of any AGR

Ok, so the point is, the total that ESPN is paying now is $11 million. It hasn't gone up, because ESPN hasn't earned back the overhead yet. (That's spelled out in the next section on page 17.) So, we have a total of $11 million.

Now, that total of $11 million has to be split between IMG and Texas. So right off the bat, we aren't even at $15 million. In addition to that the $11 million has to be split. That means Texas is going to be well below $15 million mark, based on money from the LHN. That means you have to include the other revenue from IMG (basically radio, since ESPN has the TV and Digital rights, plus coaches' shows and such) to get to the $15 million mark. That's why the articles are wrong. (It wouldn't be the first time that happened.)

By the way, the reason your 2nd article says the same thing is that it was reporting on the same story as your first article. In other words, these two authors were reading from the same base story. It's not really two separate articles. Just the same article rewritten by two different authors.

Now aside from that, here's why the Tier 3 stuff is apples to apples. I pointed out earlier that Oklahoma makes $6.5 million from Tier 3, and North Carolina makes $11 million. Here's the problem. The ACC sold it's Tier 3 rights, and the Big 12 didn't. So you say, "Ok, let's add in the Tier 3 to make that even." Well the problem is, Oklahoma only has $6.5 million total in Tier 3. TV is only a fraction of that. Ok, so let's say taht's worth 1/3, so we credit Oklahoma $2 million in their comparison against the ACC.

Well, the problem is, now you might have made conference vs. conference revenue a little closer, but look at the gap in Tier 3 vs Tier 3. Oklahoma is now down $6.5 million to North Carolina. So, shifting that minimal amount for Oklahoma didn't really make a difference in the total comparison.

You might say, "Well, to get a good comparison, we need that estimate for Tier 3 to know what the Big 12 would make if they had included it in the payout." Well no, that's not a good comparison. By that logic, you would have to factor out the BTN if you wanted to compare the Big Ten to the ACC's payout. Do you think anyone on this board would go along with that? No, and that's because the decisions each conference has made (not to have a network, or not to sell Tier 3) impacts the earning power of each conference. We have to compare each conference as it is currently constructed, which includes how they chose to package their rights. The point of the comparison is to show that selling the rights collectively (especially as a network) is more lucrative than selling them individually. In other words, it shows that the Big 12 made a bad decision.

Reactions: FlintTown
I'm not sure how you get that they don't make 15M/yr over the life of the 20M deal. It's seems just like any of the other tv contracts we read about. The number reported in the media is the average over the life (15M in this case) but initially it's smaller and as the deal proceeds the number grows and becomes larger than the reported average.

To me that contract looks like it says the minimum Texas gets is ~11M and that number grows 3% every year over the life of the contract (page 17 clause 1). I'm not sure why you think it hasn't gone up. I'd think its probably gone up 3% every year since the LHN has been in existence. If you actually work that out, it's going to be a figure close to 300M. So over the life of the contract the average is ~15M. The 2nd clause on page 17 seems seems like Texas would get 70% of the profit after ESPN recoups 295M. I don't see anything related to not increasing the payout by 3% every year. The only reduction I see is a reduction related to the amount of rent ESPN pays to Texas. Of course Texas has to pay IMG a cut out of their revenues as well. Outside of that I don't see anything, what am I missing that you're referring to.

Also don't see anything in the contract negating the extra 10M Texas makes from other multimedia rights sited in the other articles. The articles are similar but I don't know how they sourced their info and what article is the source if they're both referring to the same source and what makes you think it's wrong.

As to the tier 3, I think you're missing my point. If you take tier 3 as a whole, it means different things to different schools. Even among schools in the same conference it can mean different things. For some it could me concessions, seat licenses and for others not or for some naming rights or for others not. It can be different from school to school. That's why I'm focusing only on the tier 3 tv rights only. That is something that is included in all the conference distributions, save the B12. That allows apples to apples between conferences outside of the B12.

You say the ACC and B10 can't be compared if you include tier 3 tv or you'd have to leave out the BTN. You can compare them and with the BTN too. The B10s conference distribution includes all tier 1-3 tv rights from BTN/ESPN, bowl payouts, NCAA credits, etc.. The ACC's conference distribution would include all tier 1-3 tv rights from ESPN, bowl payouts, NCAA credits, etc.. It's an apples to apples comparison of conference distributions. That goes for the PAC12/SEC as well.

It's only the B12 that is the outlier in getting an apples to apple comparison because their tier 3 tv is lumped in with all the other tier 3 stuff which varies from school to school. Even if you did splice out the tier 3 tv from the B12 schools it wouldn't be a uniform number across the board because each school's tier 3 tv rights will have a different value unlike the uniform distribution the conference networks payout to each member.

I'm only comparing conference distributions not what each school like OU/UNC/Michigan/OSU/USC, etc..have in other deals with the IMGs/Learfields of the world. The problem is B12 schools lump those kind of deals in with some of their tier 3 tv so you can't do an apples to apples with the other conferences which don't lump those things in.

BTW you didn't answer when I asked what you think the average value of the B12's various schools tier 3 tv rights are worth. Out of that 6.5M OU gets, how much do you think comes from tv rights to football/basketball/Olympic sports not including stuff like concessions, seat licenses, naming rights etc... Now OU's number will be different from the others but just what's your estimate as to the average worth of tier 3 tv rights in the B12.

ADVERTISEMENT