149-Dippery
157-AP
165-Lewis
174-Bak?
184-kid from ohio?
197-hymac
Hwt-Camp/Smith

Delvec and Theo RS

125,164,184. Dont have other options really.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like AP might be going to 165. Lewis more likely at 157. Theo has to be at 149 unless there is a move to push either he or Dippery to 157. Giraldo and Del Vecchio will grind out 133. Hrymack could be 184 or 197. We could use another person ready to contribute one in those weight classes. Pafumi could use a RS year.

Ideally

125 McCabe
133 Giraldo (Scott redshirts)
141 Ash
149 Dippery (Genbtile, Hunt also and Theo redsirts)
157 AP (Lewis competes for a spot)
165 Backukas if he can make it)
174 Parfumi
184 Gravina (he is bulking up)
197 Hrymack
285 Smith

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
Ideally

125 McCabe
141 Ash
174 Parfumi
197 Hrymack
285 Smith
Backukas is a pretty well put together 174lber. Is it a realistic possibility the coaches want him @ 165?

Gravina @ 184 is a bit of surprise considering he was a twig at 165.

Could be AP goes to 165, he struggled w weight all season, not sure what weight Gravina will be at next season. Coach G needs to recruit some big boys big time.

Thanks wng. You dont see camp wrestling some at hwt? If he is on the team i guess?

Camp is a great kid but it does not seem to me that he wants to compete which is the only way one gets into the lineup.

125 McCabe
133 Giraldo (DelVecchio redshirts)
141 Ashnault
149 Dippery/Hunt (Theobold and Gentile redshirt)
157 Lewis (JC transfer)
165 Perrotti
174 Bakuckas/Pafumi
184 Hrymack (i think he can be more effective here)
197 Normandia
285 Smith

I know it's unlikely, but I hope one of our recruits or redshirts can come out of the spotlight and surprise us by winning the starting spot!

If the team stays healthy, I can see 3 allamericans next season!

Originally posted by RU93:
125 McCabe
141 Ashnault
157 Lewis (JC transfer)
165 Perrotti
174 Bakuckas/Pafumi
197 Normandia
285 Smith

I know it's unlikely, but I hope one of our recruits or redshirts can come out of the spotlight and surprise us by winning the starting spot!

Why would they consider redshirting DelVecchio and Theo? They both seemed successful.

Originally posted by c_husk:
125 McCabe
141 Ashnault
157 Lewis (JC transfer)
165 Perrotti
174 Bakuckas/Pafumi
197 Normandia
285 Smith

Why would they consider redshirting DelVecchio and Theo? They both seemed successful.
My answer to that question reminds me of an old joke.

Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can.

Penn State redshirted Nico Megalunus this season after taking 2nd his Freshman and Sophmore season and then 3rd as a Junior. Also redshirted Zain Retherford this season after taking 5th as a Freshman last season. Redshirts are used for many reasons, there is talk of Megalunus taking an Olympic redshirt next season extending his 4th year of eligibility to 2016-17 season.

Ideally

125 McCabe
141 Ash
174 Parfumi
197 Hrymack
285 Smith
125 McCabe
141 Ash
149 Dippery (Gentile, Hunt, Theo redshirts)
157 AP OR Lewis
165 AP OR Lewis
174 Buckukas OR Parfumi
197 Hrymack
285 Smith

Originally posted by c_husk:
125 McCabe
141 Ashnault
157 Lewis (JC transfer)
165 Perrotti
174 Bakuckas/Pafumi
197 Normandia
285 Smith

IMO, Giraldo has higher upside and is ready to score points at the NCAA tourny. Hard to keep a kid like him on the bench. Let Delvecchio take the year off to concentrate on training w/o losing a year of eligibility.

Re: Theo, I think the coaches want to do everything they can to get Dippery into the lineup, even though Theo had a very good year. An extra year of development may be what Theo needs to put him over the top and get on the podium.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:40 AM by belushijo

Kremiller ... what are the chances that he's good enough to contribute next year? Sure, he won one of the Ohio levels, but I have no idea what his competition was like out there.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
Kremiller ... what are the chances that he's good enough to contribute next year? Sure, he won one of the Ohio levels, but I have no idea what his competition was like out there.
Kremiller defeated Bailey Faust in the finals of the Ohio States, Div2. Faust is a good wrestler who is headed to WVU, so we are getting a good kid. Is he good enough to start for us? I hope so! It'd be huge if Kremiller is better than Hrymack at 197, b/c Hrymack can also wrestle at 184 and would be pretty strong for that weight class.

I would be surprised if giraldo can stay at 133. He is a big kid for that weight. If he can I think he could AA.

What I think the whole 30 man roster will be next year (currently at 34 people)

125 - Sean McCabe, Josh Patrick, Billy Ward, Peter Lipari (RS)

133 - Anthony Giraldo, Scott DelVecchio (RS), Nick Ottaviano

141- Anthony Ashnault, Jalen Ramos

149- Tyson Dippery, Ken Theobold (RS), John Van Brill, Tyler Hunt, Mike Underwood, Bill Povalac (RS)

157- Anthony Perrotti, Ritchie Lewis (RS), Dylan Painton, Ronnie Gentile (RS)

165- Phil Bakuckas (if he can get down), Mikey Simmons, Willie Scott (RS)

174- Anthony Pafumi

184- Nick Gravina, Anthony Messner, Taylor Jackson, Lucky Shaut

197- Hayden Hrymack, Ralph Normandia (RS), Kyle Kremiller (RS)

285- Billy Smith, Andrew Campolattano, Wesley Bernard (RS), Nick LaShell

125 McCabe
141 Ashnault
157 Lewis (JC transfer)
165 Perrotti
174 Bakuckas/Pafumi
197 Normandia
285 Smith

Which 3? Ash, Perotti and Smith or someone else?

I think obviously ash and perrotti can AA since they have done it already. Smith has the talent and alot of hwts graduated
. I think giraldo at 133 has a chance as well.

Is the concensus that next years team will be a stronger dual meet team AND potentially field more AA`s? It seems there are still so many weights that either lack star power or depth. Can`t wait to see how this program handles the offseason.

Originally posted by Lips Manus:
I think obviously ash and perrotti can AA since they have done it already. Smith has the talent and alot of hwts graduated
. I think giraldo at 133 has a chance as well.
Yes, the same 3 I had in mind: Ash, AP and Smith. I think Smith will put it all together next season, and Perrotti will shine again!

Watch out for Giraldo. Kids a winner knows how to win the 3-2, 2-1 OT matches. Sometimes not the prettiest but gets it done. Already beat several NCAA qualifiers this year including Rauser, Devoy, and Richardson and lost tight ones to Gulibon and Norstrem. 20-5 freshman redshirt season. Will be in the hunt for AA every year.

You are right about Smith and Giraldo. Both have decent shots to AA. If Theo does not redshirt next year, he has a great shot if he stays healthy. He was 7-2 in his Big Ten matches this year which is something. Had a nice long talk with Smitty at the social and he gets it. Knows he can bang with the best and is better than most. He needs to get it into his head and translate that to action against the best. It is all mental not physical. I think this team will be better next year and will figure out who is the best to represent us wherever we need them. Now we need to get better kids coming in who are Big Ten caliber talent.

A few questions, WNG.

1.) Thoughts on Kremiller's potential, as I brought up above?

2.) Are Billy's struggles on bottom really more of a mental issue than a physical issue? I can understand the lack of shooting at important times being a mental thing.

Spoke to Donny at length about the 2 Ohio kids. He thinks they are legit, especially the 126 pounder. Smitty's mental blocks apply to top, bottom and on his feet

Spoke to Donny at length about the 2 Ohio kids. He thinks they are legit, especially the 126 pounder. Smitty's mental blocks apply to top, bottom and on his feet
Wng: you sure you didn't leave out anything else in Smith's mental blocks?

I hope I did not sound like I was denegrading Billy's talent or mental state. He is a wonderful young man and one of the nicest kids you will meet. He is a 3.6 student so he is extremely intelligent and thinks about things very deeply (probably too deeply in some cases). Besides the NCAA champ, he was as good as the other AAs so there is very little separating him from the podium. If he had wrestled Waltz like he wrestled Larson of Oklahoma, he would have been on the podium and I told him so. He agreed. Sometimes Billy lets rankings of opponents dictate how he wrestles. Maybe next year we should tell him every opponent is unranked and he will win the NCAAs. I love him and hope he finally reaches his potential next year as he deserves it.

We all know you are not bad mouthing smith. It was kind of funny though when I read your post. Esp. bc it came from you.

AP will probably be better suited at 165 unless Bak can make the cut to 65. Any chance Ash goes 49?
33 seems like a big cut for Giraldo.

So much of the top talent at 141 graduates this year (Steiber,Port,, Dardenes, Carter) Ash has a very good shot at the finals at 141 if he stays at 141. I doubt the path is that easyif he bumps up and wrestles bigger kids like Sorensen of Iowa and TShirt of NW, and some other kids than at 141.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
So much of the top talent at 141 graduates this year (Steiber,Port,, Dardenes, Carter) Ash has a very good shot at the finals at 141 if he stays at 141. I doubt the path is that easyif he bumps up and wrestles bigger kids like Sorensen of Iowa and TShirt of NW, and some other kids than at 141.
Returning AA for 141 next year will include : Heil, Jack, Mecate, Mayes, also lets not forget Zain R. comes off RS. R12 Abidin also returns.

149 also graduated some good talent (Drake H., Habat, Villalonga, Kindig). AA returning for 149: Tshirt, Sorensen, Hunter S., Clagon, Richardson)

This post was edited on 3/25 12:23 AM by KidDagger

And Steve Dutton from Mich. I read he is taking a medical redshirt this year and will most likely be ranked top 3 at 141 next year as he was at the start of this year

Originally posted by Passe24:
And Steve Dutton from Mich. I read he is taking a medical redshirt this year and will most likely be ranked top 3 at 141 next year as he was at the start of this year
His wrestling career is over, he gave it up after too many concussions. There was a news release Jan 21 from University or Michigan.

MGOBLUE Steve Dutton
MGOBLUE
Steve Dutton
MGOBLUE

Jan. 21, 2015

ANN
ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan fifth-year senior Steve Dutton
has elected to end his wrestling career due to multiple concussions. A
2014 NCAA All-American at 141 pounds, Dutton appeared in two dual meets
for the Wolverines this season but has not competed since the season
opener at the EMU Duals (Nov. 15).

"After several meetings with
our doctors over the last couple months and listening to their advice to
hang it up and step away from wrestling, I had to do what was best for
my health," said Dutton. "It's disappointing. I felt like I had great
training through the offseason and could have been a top competitor this
year, but unfortunately, it was taken out of my hands.

"Being
an All-American last year was great. I wanted to do more, but that's
still something that I'll forever be proud to have accomplished here at
Michigan. Perhaps this can be something that will drive me later in
life. You never know when something will end, so you've got to keep
striving to fulfill your goals every day."

"This was a decision
made after continued consultation with our medical staff," said head
coach Joe McFarland. "We support him completely. Obviously, it's a
disappointing way to end a very successful wrestling career, but there
are more important issues at play here. We look forward to Steve's
continued involvement and leadership for the remainder of this season."

Injuries
also shortened Dutton's junior season in 2013-14. He joined the
Wolverine lineup at 141 pounds in late January last year and contributed
to Michigan's 6-2 dual record over the final month of the regular
season, including wins over ranked opponents in Minnesota, Ohio State,
Nebraska and Pittsburgh. He took fourth place at the Big Ten
Championships before claiming his first career All-America citation with
a seventh-place finish at the NCAA Championships. He compiled a 22-7
record over his three seasons at Michigan.

A native of Miller
Place, New York, Dutton transferred to Michigan prior to the 2012-13
academic year after spending two seasons at Lehigh University. During
his tenure as a Mountain Hawk, he was a two-time NCAA qualifier,
reaching the Round of 12 as a true freshman in 2011, and twice placed
among the top four at the EIWA Championships. He posted a 42-21 record
through two seasons at Lehigh.

Per his twitter, he just got the surgery a week or two ago. Not sure what the hold up was. Don't have a great feeling on this one.

man if Bakuckas can get down to 165 he is going to be tough. looked like a full size 174 to me. i was thinking one off season of training with Donny P and he'd be ready to turn the corner at 74.

ADVERTISEMENT