ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's schedule

BeKnighted

Heisman Winner
Jan 15, 2003
I think a decent interval has passed, so time to talk about next year.

I'm focused on OOC, although one interesting question to me is how the conference schedule will change and, in particular, what teams will be home and home (besides Maryland, which I figure is locked, although maybe I'm wrong) and which ones will not.

Based on the schedule last year and the year before, I think these are potential games:

v. Arkansas
@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
v. Temple
v. Iona
@ Syracuse or Duke (ACC-B1G Challenge)

Except for Syracuse/Duke, all of the listed teams were on the schedule this year but not the year before, so it seems likely that return matches are in order. Northeastern, Wagner and Davidson were the second games in a two-year span, and there's no particular reason to maintain the series with any of them. I left Colgate off the list because I kind of think it was a one-off, but I have no actual knowledge of that.

Does anyone have any scoop on other games, or ideas about what games would be fun? (Maybe not Seton Hall after playing them twice in 2 years, but I'd like to renew the Princeton series.)

LSU is coming to play at the RAC next year, and CVS said in one of her NCAA tournaments pressers that Stanford had called and wanted to come out here as well, although she did state that she didn't know if they'd agree.

She also said that she didn't want to schedule too hard next year because we're gonna be pretty young, and she wants to build confidence early on for the B1G.

Reactions: BeKnighted
I've already booked my Marriott timeshare for the week of Paradise Jam.

(We went last time ... about five years ago ... and loved the week. Meeting April's family there made me a, sometimes pained but always loyal to her, fan.)

Not positive how to paste url's under the new format ... but this one should take you to the brackets. Scroll down to the Rutgers WBB bracket.

http://paradisejam.com/brackets/

Rutgers is in one "division" and Maryland in the other. If I remember correctly each division gets one champion after 4 team round robin play; but the two divisions don't play one another for an overall championship.

Last edited:
So, add Virginia, Tulane and UWGB to the list. If my initial guesses all are right and LSU also is on the slate, that may leave only one OOC game (although the rule on tournaments is complicated and it might be more).

So, add Virginia, Tulane and UWGB to the list. If my initial guesses all are right and LSU also is on the slate, that may leave only one OOC game (although the rule on tournaments is complicated and it might be more).
Unless the rules change next year, the tourney would count as one game, I believe.

So far as I could tell when I set up my spreadsheets at the beginning of the last season (listing the schedules for all P5 teams) this was consistent. It seems simpler than old days, when some tourneys counted different ways.

There are some restrictions - for example the old Coca Cola classic wouldn't have worked every year, but some schools (see "UConn") get around it by changing where they host their tourney and who sponsors it each year. As long as it is a different tourney . . .

So far, then, these look like possible games (* means confirmed games):

v. Arkansas
Virginia*
Tulane*
UWGB*
@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
v. Temple
v. Iona
@ Syracuse or Duke (ACC-B1G Challenge)* (although it's possible it won't be an away game, I suppose)
v. LSU*

If the Paradise Jam counts as one game, then that leaves two openings.

So far, then, these look like possible games (* means confirmed games):

v. Arkansas
Virginia*
Tulane*
UWGB*
@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
v. Temple
v. Iona
@ Syracuse or Duke (ACC-B1G Challenge)* (although it's possible it won't be an away game, I suppose)
v. LSU*

If the Paradise Jam counts as one game, then that leaves two openings.
I stand corrected - per the NCAA rule book an institution may participate in 29 regular season games OR 27 games and one multi-game tournament, so 30 games for RU next year.

I was confused by the pre-season WNIT - which is a multi-game tournament so you can play 4 games if you are so fortunate, or 31 games. Gone are old complicated counting routines.

The old "special" rules for Hawaii now refer only to Hawaii being able to count a home tournament as regular season games, thus being able to participate in a second tournament. And the conference tournaments (and a playoff game if necessary in the Ivy) are now acknowledged separately as such.

um, Rutgers shot 43.5%, 38th best in the country. 16 of the teams with a (moderately) higher shooting percentage were mid-majors, some of whom didn't even make the tournament.

Yes, UConn shot an unbelievable 54% from the field. Only 13 teams were better than 45%! So I don't think shooting was all that bad.

Taken from ESPN's stat page.

Reactions: BeKnighted
Well it looked bad especially when you only have one pure 3 point shooter!

agreed on the shooting percentage when you take essentially no 3 pointers you have in essence lowered your shooting percentage and your chance for winning especially the games against better teams

agreed on the shooting percentage when you take essentially no 3 pointers you have in essence lowered your shooting percentage and your chance for winning especially the games against better teams

That doesn't necessarily follow. First, if you're bad at 3-pointers, the more you take the worse your chance of winning. Second, some highly successful teams (Baylor, for instance), don't take very many 3-pointers. Heck, in one of the national semifinals this year, the two teams combined took about 4 3-pointers in the 2nd half.

Updating the list based on the newest information:

v. Arkansas
Virginia*
Tulane*
UWGB*
@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
@ Seton Hall (from SHU board)
v. Temple
v. Iona
@ Florida State (ACC-B1G Challenge)*
v. LSU*

If all of these are right, that leaves one more game.

So glad to see our team plays New Jersey rival Seton Hall again. Unfortunately, there are usually more Rutgers fans in their tiny gym than Pirates fans.

Adding in some dates, and putting the games with dates at the bottom:

v. Arkansas
@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
@ Seton Hall
v. Temple
v. Iona
v. LSU*
Nov. 26 - Tulane*
Nov. 27 - Virginia*
Nov. 28 - UWGB*
Dec. 3 - @ Florida State (ACC-B1G Challenge)*

There still should be one more game, assuming all of these are correct.

FYI, Princeton's schedule has been posted on RebKell, and RU is not on it. The Tigers are playing Seton Hall, though.

I don't think we need to add Stanford this year. And it appeared that we have a couple of shooters coming in.

St. John's has released its schedule, and they're playing at RU on November 19. So what we have so far is this:

v. Arkansas
@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
@ Seton Hall
v. Temple
v. Iona
v. LSU*
Nov. 19 - St. John's*
Nov. 26 - Tulane*
Nov. 27 - Virginia*
Nov. 28 - UWGB*

*Confirmed games. The others are still surmises.

It's interesting to have the St. John's series resume. With Seton Hall and the Red Storm on the schedule, there's definitely a bit of BEast flair to this year's schedule.

Per APP: Rutgers-Seton Hall Round III has a date on the schedule. The women’s basketball teams at the two major-conference schools in the state have agreed to play Monday, Nov. 16 at 7 p.m. at Seton Hall’s Walsh Gym in South Orange, Gannett New Jersey has learned. The agreement is pending finalization of a game contract.
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...ll-womens-basketball-game-scheduled/28980261/

St. John's has released its schedule, and they're playing at RU on November 19. So what we have so far is this:

v. Arkansas
@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
@ Seton Hall
v. Temple
v. Iona
v. LSU*
Nov. 19 - St. John's*
Nov. 26 - Tulane*
Nov. 27 - Virginia*
Nov. 28 - UWGB*

*Confirmed games. The others are still surmises.

It's interesting to have the St. John's series resume. With Seton Hall and the Red Storm on the schedule, there's definitely a bit of BEast flair to this year's schedule.

With that news:

v. Arkansas
@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
v. Temple
v. Iona
v. LSU*
Nov. 16 - @ Seton Hall
Nov. 19 - v. St. John's*
Nov. 26 - Tulane* (neutral site)
Nov. 27 - Virginia* (neutral site)
Nov. 28 - UWGB* (neutral site)

Arkansas has released its schedule, so we can put that date in now and call it confirmed.

@ Tennessee
@ St. Joseph's
v. Temple
v. Iona
v. LSU*
Nov. 16 - @ Seton Hall
Nov. 19 - v. St. John's*
Dec. 6 v. Arkansas*

*Confirmed.

Tennessee's schedule is out, and RU is not on it, so it looks like there are two more games to be added. Current information:

@ St. Joseph's
v. Temple
v. Iona
v. LSU*
Nov. 16 - @ Seton Hall
Nov. 19 - v. St. John's*
Dec. 6 v. Arkansas*

*Confirmed.

I'm kinda happy with not playing Tennessee this year. We're a pretty young team this year, need to get a lot of confidence in the OOC.

Tennessee's schedule is out, and RU is not on it, so it looks like there are two more games to be added. Current information:

@ St. Joseph's
v. Temple
v. Iona
Dec 19 - LSU*
Nov. 16 - @ Seton Hall
Nov. 19 - v. St. John's*
Dec. 6 v. Arkansas*

*Confirmed.