ADVERTISEMENT

NJ 101.5 Bill Spadea and Eric Scott SLAM RUTGERS

They were saying Rutgers is trying to be like a southern state school...................I think their talking out their southern orifices.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
As soon as I hear someone say Rutgers is "wasting" money on football (when, in fact, it makes money from football), all I hear after that is "blah, blah, blah, Rutgers, blah, blah, blah".

gary-larson-far-side-cartoon-what-we-say-to-dogs-blah-blah-ginger.jpeg

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Guys , I hear the "my taxes going to Rutgers Sports " all the time." Before I start handing out that 25 cents per New Jerseyan goes to Rutgers Athletics line, are we sure it is THAT small. That really doe seem very very small.

Direct Institutional Support in 2016 was $17,159,613.

The state of NJ provides, as has been noted, about 24% of the school's budget.

So the state's share of that $17,159,613 is $4,289,903.

There's about 8.5 million people in the state, so the total per person is about 50 cents.

However, only a quarter of the state's overall budget comes from taxes on citizens, i.e. income and property taxes. So you're down to 12 cents per person but obviously not every person is a taxpayer.

Scrounge around the floor of your car and locate a quarter, flip the person said quarter (tell them you generously rounded up as a courtesy and to reciprocate their generosity as a taxpayer), and apologize for it not being enough to cover the next toll both they pass through since a quarter doesn't pay for much these days. For that quarter, they are free to enjoy any benefit they may care to extract from Rutgers-NB athletics.

Direct Institutional Support in 2016 was $17,159,613.

The state of NJ provides, as has been noted, about 24% of the school's budget.

So the state's share of that $17,159,613 is $4,289,903.

There's about 8.5 million people in the state, so the total per person is about 50 cents.

However, only a quarter of the state's overall budget comes from taxes on citizens, i.e. income and property taxes. So you're down to 12 cents per person but obviously not every person is a taxpayer.

It would be interesting to get these numbers for each state schools athletics department.

NJ 101.5 Bill Spadea and Eric Scott SLAM RUTGERS

Here's the weird thing.. these two opened this morning's show at 6AM with seemingly off-hand remarks about Rutgers. Here are the main points they made:

A) They began talking about how expensive Rutgers is saying its cheaper to go to a private college out-of-state

B) Then they blasted the campus.. specifically citing the sidewalks for some reason.. and no, they did not specify which of the New Brunswick area campuses they were talking about

C) Then they attributed these issues to spending on football and the stadium and saying we are trying to be a southern state school where this works because there are no professional sports teams in the south.

D) They mentioned cutting sports (apparently someone remembered that from 10 years ago)

E) They mentioned not paying adjunct professors well enough (again, just pulling a charge from their bin labelled "we hate Rutgers")

F) Then they said that New Brunswick, the city, is great.. positively mentioning the theater district

G) They slammed Barchi and suggested that new Governor Murphy will have the power to remove him

I wish I had a recording of that to link for you all. Eric Scott is the news head at NJ 101.5.. he should know better than to go off and speak from ignorance. If Rutgers spent ZERO on football the tuition would likely need to go up or we'd need to cut other sports too... because we would be out of the Big Ten ASAP.

These idiots need to be forced to actually visit campus and be taught a few things about why it is so expensive to run Rutgers and why it looks like it does.

My list would be:

1) Princeton is beautiful.. it was a much larger school than Rutgers for 100 years or more and was a town built around a college. Most flagship state universities are towns built to serve the university.

2) Rutgers is a college built in and around a trade town on the D&R Canal. And did not become especially large until after WWII when state legislators made a deal to help returning GIs, to allow Rutgers to become the flagship State U.

3) Now imagine the typical State U.. created by the State (or even Territory) in the mid to late 1800s.. state contributions began immediately and were part of the budget for more than a century. Buying land (or having it granted to them).. building buildings, etc. MEANWHILE, at Rutgers.. a small private eastern college is finding ways to do the same thing. The benefit of the Morrill Act after the Civil War, Rutgers because the state's Land Grant institution and the land granted is selected by politicians and then sold off and that money is used to buy land in and around New Brunswick in order to build Cook College, the agricultural school. And during the Great Depression, Rutgers expands across the river into Piscataway.. again.. no state funds used.

3) Rutgers bought up and were granted lands piecemeal. It was, in essence, a group of small colleges.. a liberal arts college for men, a liberal arts college for women, an agriculture school, and engineering school.. it was pieced together with loss of economies of scale due to distance between campuses.

4) In the 60s and 70s.. like many New Jersey cities, New Brunswick suffered white-flight and Rutgers along with it. This is something towns built around State Us largely did not suffer.

5) I know the state funding has dropped.. in real and adjusted dollars... repeatedly. As cost of living increases in this state. As overhead of state workers pensions and benefits has increased. As cost of repairing roads and streets and building new buildings has increased. You can see the state funding here. Keep in mind the recent increases came with even larger increases in liabilities due to assuming UMDNJ's debts and liabilities. UCONN gets more from its state, has fewer students in a lower cost-of-living area...

6) Rutgers football is revenue neutral at a minimum... and when you consider that the bulk of the Big Ten money is yet to arrive.. blaming football is just ridiculous.
Who are these people obviously they are Penn State people

It would be interesting to get these numbers for each state schools athletics department.

All NCAA-member schools are required to file a financial report, annually, which is essentially a P&L statement for the athletic department.

Most schools do not make them public. Rutgers does.

Those are the numbers you'd need to start with and we're fortunate that RU sees fit to be transparent about them.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Meanwhile an Insurance guy by the name of George has the State Pols by the balls and can direct millions as he chooses...

Latest example is the $7.5 million he's getting from RU and $7.5 million from the states Green Acres ($15 million total) to knock down Campbells field (which cost over $20 million to build 15 years ago with state $) to build athletic fields in Camden which will be owned by the City of Camden and operated by RU.....
They're gonna knock that down? They invested $35 million in that.

RUforreal, I wish Rutgers could find a way to get that info to everyone in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT