ADVERTISEMENT

Now is your Chance Rutgers

Oh FFS, here we go again with the “excuses” delusion. Nobody anywhere ever needs to justify, excuse, explain, or discuss their level of sports entertainment donations to anybody else at any time for any reason.

And there are no forum rules about how sports donations dictate what may be discussed. It’s a ridiculous concept. You gonna somehow force people to provide proof of donation amounts and then force them to adhere to a posted-word-per-donation-dollar policy? 🤣

Some of you need to get a grip. This is reaching Pythonesque levels of delusional silliness.
No they don’t. But discussing the impact of a lack of support is fair game. Rutgers Fans and alumni simply don’t prioritize football success as much as OSU, Michigan, and LSU alumni. It’s just fact. The lack of donations puts us at a competitive recruiting disadvantage and is the 800 lb gorilla in the room that most don’t want to discuss.

Oh FFS, here we go again with the “excuses” delusion. Nobody anywhere ever needs to justify, excuse, explain, or discuss their level of sports entertainment donations to anybody else at any time for any reason.

And there are no forum rules about how sports donations dictate what may be discussed. It’s a ridiculous concept. You gonna somehow force people to provide proof of donation amounts and then force them to adhere to a posted-word-per-donation-dollar policy? 🤣

Some of you need to get a grip. This is reaching Pythonesque levels of delusional silliness.
Yes but if you don't contribute as a fervent fan of RU sports (why else would you be posting here?) then you are as effective in contributing to helping with a solution as people who offer thoughts and prayers as a way of solving gun violence.

That's right, I said it.

We don't need thoughts and prayers to compete. We need donations.

Reactions: rutgersal
Yes but if you don't contribute as a fervent fan of RU sports (why else would you be posting here?) then you are as effective in contributing to helping with a solution as people who offer thoughts and prayers as a way of solving gun violence.

That's right, I said it.

So you are equating those who do nothing about guns (which kill people) with those who don't contribute to NIL. That is pretty ridiculous! You have my thoughts and prayers.

Never switched. It’s always been an auction in most cases. There are obviously exceptions.
How does that square with these comments you made

“If West comes here, it will be due to the incredible selling job that Greg Schiano and the DL Coach have done”.

How does that square with these comments you made

“If West comes here, it will be due to the incredible selling job that Greg Schiano and the DL Coach have done”.
If West comes here, it will be an exceptional case. Not going to hold my breathe.

That's right, I said it.

Sports is entertainment. Not life. You and the 24/7 guy are expecting other people to adopt your views on entertainment, to adopt your priorities for spending their money. That's ludicrous.

People will donate or not donate according to their unique situations and choices. They don't owe you or anybody else anything with regards to their approach to entertainment. They don't owe you or anybody else information or explanation on how they choose to spend their money.

You might be right that donations are what's needed, for sure will help some. But your approach here is like trying to force others to sign up for NetFlix 'cause you happen to really like NetFlix. That's never going to work.

If you want to persuade people, then that's fine. But there are much better ways to do that than employing insults, guilt-trips, browbeating, bullying, etc. This isn't a protection racket.

Try some positive reinforcement. Do a little reading on how civilized people persuade people with money to donate to various causes.

Reactions: NickRU714
No they don’t. But discussing the impact of a lack of support is fair game. Rutgers Fans and alumni simply don’t prioritize football success as much as OSU, Michigan, and LSU alumni. It’s just fact. The lack of donations puts us at a competitive recruiting disadvantage and is the 800 lb gorilla in the room that most don’t want to discuss.
I never once said not to discuss or attempt to persuade people to donate. I would never say that. Nor have I ever said donations don't matter. I would also never say that.

My posts are in response to the ridiculously statements being made (e.g. don't post if you don't donate) or other ridiculous tactics being employed. These things are NOT how to successfully persuade people to donate money. They're counter-productive. You cannot pressure people into donating their money for their personal entertainment. It won't work. I mean, to even try is unethical.

We're talking about entertainment. Not life and death. Donate if you want, it'll surely help. Don't if you don't want to do so. Not a problem.

Sports is entertainment. Not life. You and the 24/7 guy are expecting other people to adopt your views on entertainment, to adopt your priorities for spending their money. That's ludicrous.

People will donate or not donate according to their unique situations and choices. They don't owe you or anybody else anything with regards to their approach to entertainment. They don't owe you or anybody else information or explanation on how they choose to spend their money.

You might be right that donations are what's needed, for sure will help some. But your approach here is like trying to force others to sign up for NetFlix 'cause you happen to really like NetFlix. That's never going to work.

If you want to persuade people, then that's fine. But there are much better ways to do that than employing insults, guilt-trips, browbeating, bullying, etc. This isn't a protection racket.

Try some positive reinforcement. Do a little reading on how civilized people persuade people with money to donate to various causes.

"Where does RU sports fall in this narrative? "Examples of such goods are public roads or public libraries or services or other goods of a communal nature." I pay for Rutgers season tickets. Based on your logic, someone needs to not only pay for the train ride, but contribute to the repair of the train. You make no sense!

Last edited:
I never once said not to discuss or attempt to persuade people to donate. I would never say that. Nor have I ever said donations don't matter. I would also never say that.

My posts are in response to the ridiculously statements being made (e.g. don't post if you don't donate) or other ridiculous tactics being employed. These things are NOT how to successfully persuade people to donate money. They're counter-productive. You cannot pressure people into donating their money for their personal entertainment. It won't work. I mean, to even try is unethical.

We're talking about entertainment. Not life and death. Donate if you want, it'll surely help. Don't if you don't want to do so. Not a problem.
Agree with you there. There are a lot of people who just aren’t in position to donate.

I don't think it's a tactic to get people to donate. I feels more like a rebuff to vocal people with unrealistic expectations that are themselves leveling criticisms for lack of performance.

I endorse this 100% and have often had similar thoughts.. especially when people insist the likes of Home Depot's Marcus and even Elon Musk should basically endow Rutgers sports for hundreds of millions.

NIL has made the argument that "more money = more wins" more valid than ever... unfortunately.

I still think Rutgers main angle should be converting NJ businesses into supporters. Sell them on the vision of "what if your business was based near Athens GA or Tuscaloosa or Ann Arbor or Columbus or Austin? Would you and your employees and sales teams and vendors benefit from being close to a college sports powerhouse? Well.. now's the time.. NIL will allow you to have that college sports powerhouse right here in your backyard.. just add dollars."

That increases demand and we know what happens when demand increases... so do revenues. Begging.. or demanding old alums donate.. very limited scale there. These other schools have big dollars for other reasons.

Reactions: mildone
NIL is one among many reasons a recruit might choose a school. But it’s a big one. Schools might know what the preliminary ask is. But at the end of the day, this will likely be an auction with a player going to the highest bidder. It’s up to the player to decide what is the priority for him.
So does Indiana has a deep war chest for the bidding? Is NLI still going to be the excuse or are you going to blame lack of the mythical and all powerful recruiting tool fieldhouse?

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
So does Indiana has a deep war chest for the bidding? Is NLI still going to be the excuse or are you going to blame lack of the mythical and all powerful recruiting tool fieldhouse?
They have one of the bigger NIL orgs despite the median income of indiana being in the mid 30's and NJ being a top 5 median income state.

There has always been the "You're not a real fan if you do/don't do X".

It used to be:
If you renew season tickets for 2019 and HC Ash, then you aren't a real fan.
We can't compete without upgrading the stadium/locker room. If you don't donate, stop complaining.
We don't have the money to fire HC Flood. Unless you are donating to pay his buyout, don't complain about keeping HC Flood.

Our fan base:

But but but....we have we have a previous coaching relationship
But but but....we offer playing time on a a defense that could be top 20
But but but....we are close to two major cities with plenty of opportunities
But but but....we are a top state school academically

Top portal targets:

but what about that bag?

Thanks for your suggestions, thoughts and prayers.

They have one of the bigger NIL orgs despite the median income of indiana being in the mid 30's and NJ being a top 5 median income state.

I looked and not sure having a bigger NIL org and bigger bags of money apply with what is said in your link? Not sure where the bags of money come from in doing charitable work. Please help me understand.

Hoosiers For Good is different than most collectives because it partners with Indiana student-athletes and uses their NIL to generate exposure and awareness for their respective charitable causes.

The group was also one of the first collectives in the country to receive 501(c)(3) status and earn a Federal tax exemption. Hoosiers For Good essentially wrote the playbook for collectives that support student-athletes and local charities.

“This allows us to continue to advance our goal of amplifying the mission of our charitable partners through Indiana University student-athletes NIL, platform and influence,” Hoosiers For Good executive director Tyler Harris said.

In the spring of 2022, Hoosiers For Good partnered with 14 IU student-athletes. They support causes like the Indiana Region of the American Red Cross, Boys & Girls Club of Bloomington and Recycle Force. Hoosiers For Good leaders say the class of student-athletes will change each semester, further expanding their footprint in the community. The group announced NIL partnerships with 11 new Hoosier student-athletes on Wednesday as part of its Class of Summer 2022.

I thought it was the bubble that killed recruiting. Lol

• Haha
I haven't seen a single post anywhere on the forum that implies that one of our forum members doesn't think NIL is a factor in recruiting. As was pointed out earlier, it's extremely unlikely that we bothered to bring West to RU for a visit while too far apart on NIL.

It would be a total waste of everybody's time along with a waste of one of West's visits. You think GS is a hypothetical half-million short of West's minimum requirement and GS is bringing him here because he can charm West into overlooking the half-million?
Have you ever seen any incontrovertible proof that NIL exists, such as a contract, a picture or some sort of receipt and, if so, can you share such proof with the board? Didn't think so. Just another lunatic conspiracy theory.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Looks like this one came down to academics and playing time. Hell, Indiana doesn't even know if they can get him in as a grad transfer. Meaning he might not graduate. I know, crazy as this may sound, there's still an academic side to this.

Looks like this one came down to academics and playing time. Hell, Indiana doesn't even know if they can get him in as a grad transfer. Meaning he might not graduate. I know, crazy as this may sound, there's still an academic side to this.
That will not stop the NIL drones from droning on about how shitty Rutgers fans are. It's a really bad look, and it actually further demotivates people. They should STFU with the smack talk.

That will not stop the NIL drones from droning on about how shitty Rutgers fans are. It's a really bad look, and it actually further demotivates people. They should STFU with the smack talk.
When you spend day after day on this board and still need convincing to help your own cause I don’t know what to tell you. If your cheap your cheap blaming a guy online for your cheapness accomplishes nothing and fools no one. Most of you are ok with losing as long as you get to discuss it here. You have the power to help Greg and Steve build a winner but no thanks right? So now I hold power over you? Lol. I’m not going to donate because that guy online called me cheap. Rutgers fans were cheap way before NIL. There has been many a conversation about the cheapness of the Rutgers diehard. Last in the BIG in donating is there for everyone to see. Cliff is not here because there was no money for him from this fan base. The two five stars are not here because of this fanbase. If it was based on NIL they would not be coming to Rutgers.

Agree with you there. There are a lot of people who just aren’t in position to donate.
Or who feel most of their donations should go to stuff other than their personal entertainment.

With entertainment, it's perfectly acceptable for people to live with whatever results their chosen team produces without any donations at all. Not everyone is troubled by the win/loss record of the sports teams they like to follow.

Or who feel most of their donations should go to stuff other than their personal entertainment.

With entertainment, it's perfectly acceptable for people to live with whatever results their chosen team produces without any donations at all. Not everyone is troubled by the win/loss record of the sports teams they like to follow.
This is quite obvious with Rutgers fans.

I don't think it's a tactic to get people to donate. I feels more like a rebuff to vocal people with unrealistic expectations that are themselves leveling criticisms for lack of performance.
I think it's ridiculous for fans of a team to bash the team (players or coaches) under any normal circumstance, win or lose. I don't care if someone's donation level runs into 7 figures, it's still ridiculous to bash the team, IMO.

And how does anybody know how much the people with unrealistic expectations are donating?

I endorse this 100% and have often had similar thoughts.. especially when people insist the likes of Home Depot's Marcus and even Elon Musk should basically endow Rutgers sports for hundreds of millions.

NIL has made the argument that "more money = more wins" more valid than ever... unfortunately.

I still think Rutgers main angle should be converting NJ businesses into supporters. Sell them on the vision of "what if your business was based near Athens GA or Tuscaloosa or Ann Arbor or Columbus or Austin? Would you and your employees and sales teams and vendors benefit from being close to a college sports powerhouse? Well.. now's the time.. NIL will allow you to have that college sports powerhouse right here in your backyard.. just add dollars."

That increases demand and we know what happens when demand increases... so do revenues. Begging.. or demanding old alums donate.. very limited scale there. These other schools have big dollars for other reasons.
I agree businesses are the bigger bang for the buck.

I suppose if 50,000 fans donated 1000 per year, that'd be a decent chunk of change. But does RU even have 50,000 unique sports season ticket holders at the moment? We know they do not for any single sport.

This is quite obvious with Rutgers fans.
I'm not sure what's obvious or not with RU fans and NIL. How much NIL money RU sports is taking in per year at the moment? Is there any way for anybody to know that number, factually?

Anyway, there's nothing at all wrong with sports fans who like following a team but don't value that team's winning the same way it seems to matter to you and others here. Each to their own.

Have you ever seen any incontrovertible proof that NIL exists, such as a contract, a picture or some sort of receipt and, if so, can you share such proof with the board? Didn't think so. Just another lunatic conspiracy theory.
Right?

I suppose if NTR had 501(c)(3) status (which so far as I'm aware, they do not) and we could verify that status with the IRS, then that would be proof. Although perhaps not entirely incontrovertible since we all know the us gubmint has been part of the swampy deep state for the past 350 years (back even before the germans bombed pearl harbor).

So it's true. It could well be nothing more than a vast conspiracy meant to sap our precious bodily fluids.

Reactions: RU848789
I looked and not sure having a bigger NIL org and bigger bags of money apply with what is said in your link? Not sure where the bags of money come from in doing charitable work. Please help me understand.

Hoosiers For Good is different than most collectives because it partners with Indiana student-athletes and uses their NIL to generate exposure and awareness for their respective charitable causes.

The group was also one of the first collectives in the country to receive 501(c)(3) status and earn a Federal tax exemption. Hoosiers For Good essentially wrote the playbook for collectives that support student-athletes and local charities.

“This allows us to continue to advance our goal of amplifying the mission of our charitable partners through Indiana University student-athletes NIL, platform and influence,” Hoosiers For Good executive director Tyler Harris said.

In the spring of 2022, Hoosiers For Good partnered with 14 IU student-athletes. They support causes like the Indiana Region of the American Red Cross, Boys & Girls Club of Bloomington and Recycle Force. Hoosiers For Good leaders say the class of student-athletes will change each semester, further expanding their footprint in the community. The group announced NIL partnerships with 11 new Hoosier student-athletes on Wednesday as part of its Class of Summer 2022.
Indiana is bringing in a 5 star QB currently committed to USC. That isn’t happening unless Indiana has a very large NIL bag:

Reactions: rutgersal
Indiana is bringing in a 5 star QB currently committed to USC. That isn’t happening unless Indiana has a very large NIL bag:

f1f6cafb-6444-453f-a5c5-8f603ab41a23_SP+562+-+Correlation+is+not+causation.png

"Indiana remains a longshot in Lewis’ ongoing recruitment in spite of that preexisting relationship. But appearances matter and getting a player of that caliber on campus for an official visit is no small feat."

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

He's big on his family (parents and siblings) and they are doable 4-5 hr ride from LaGrange Park, Ill (Chicago burb) to Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT