ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Game Income-Rutgers Stadium or The Meadowlands ?

It was "Busch Stadium" when I was a student there ('78-'81), and, so, it will remain Busch Stadium, for me and the old gang. Always.

Wow , do not remember that, '74-'78. Not saying you are incorrect but I just remember the the football stadium not even Rutgers Stadium.

It has never been called Busch Stadium. It was Rutgers when we had wood bleachers, it was Rutgers when it was redone and it was Rutgers when it was expanded now called high point solutions stadium. Busch campus wasn't even called Busch until 1974 or 75. Before that it was university heights.

As to the topic of this thread, all hone games on campus. You lose atmosphere going to a pro stadium.

Last edited:
There is zero reason for Rutgers to play Ohio State at MetLife Stadium. The purpose of high dynamic prcing for the OSU game is to encourage local football fans to buy season tickets. You move the game to the Meadowlands and you lose that incentive.

Contrary to what some here think, Rutgers is more interested in building its fanbase through season tickets than chasing a transient single-game dollar.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yeah that's the campus it's on but I've never ever heard it referred to that way. I suspect I'm not alone.

Wowwee. Wow. Wow. Wow. Sorry for the disturbance. Having lived together on Busch Campus for three of my years at RU, that's the designation our group used when referring to the stadium. I realize it's official NAME was Rutgers Stadium, as did the rest of the gang. Still, we CALLED it Busch Stadium. Believe it or not. Rest easy folks. We also "called" the College Ave Gymnasium "The Barn." And I call Taylor Ham "pork roll." Sheesh....

Reactions: taudelt73
Its definitely something we have to look out. With OSU and Michigan raising 20M more from alumni, how are we supposed to compete? OSU/Rutgers and Rutgers/Penn State would sell out the Meadowlands.

Maryland is playing PSU at M&T stadium in Baltimore. its something we should investigate as well.

No, No and did I mention No?

If memory serves, I believe the B1G announced before the inaugural season that Rutgers Stadium would host all the other members the first time around. After that, I don't believe there was a commitment to anything.

And yes, up until it became High Point Solutions Stadium, officially, it was always Rutgers Stadium on the Busch Campus. And yes, before it was Busch Campus it was University Heights Campus and before that it was River Road Campus.

If memory serves, I believe the B1G announced before the inaugural season that Rutgers Stadium would host all the other members the first time around. After that, I don't believe there was a commitment to anything.

The Big Ten doesn't care where we play our home games. That is up to Rutgers. There is zero chance the conference tells Rutgers that it has to play home games in a different stadium, because it doesn't matter to the conference.

Reactions: ScarletNut
College avenue was the Barn. But no such thing as Busch stadium. I used to sell programs before games. Never referred to as Busch stadium.

My opinion as an outsider is out of conference, neutral site games are the only things you should consider for MetLife. We played Syracuse there 2 years ago and it was OK. Marginal tailgating, stadium was corporate but fine. Comparing that to playing UCF the following year in Dublin probably negatively affects my opinion as well. Actually Syracuse in MetLife might be the perfect game for you guys.

And yes as a Penn Stater we feel it's a little ridiculous that the first time Maryland gets us at home they were willing to sacrifice the atmosphere of playing on campus and sold out for a bigger payday. That's small time thinking if you ask me.

I would love to play Syracuse, UConn, UMass, Delaware, Lehigh or any other of our lesser regional peers in a NEUTRAL site or ROAD game at MetLife lol.

In all seriousness, once in a blue moon for a big payout is fine by me, but only if it makes good financial sense and based on what people are figuring above I'm not sure it would really be enough.

The Big Ten doesn't care where we play our home games. That is up to Rutgers. There is zero chance the conference tells Rutgers that it has to play home games in a different stadium, because it doesn't matter to the conference.

At the initial press conference Tim Pernetti made it seem as if this had been discussed and that RU had expressed a willingness to play at MetLife every once in a while. That made it seem like the Big Ten had brought it up (Because why would Rutgers?). However, if you look at the recent comments from big ten folks they seem to have underestimated how great a venue we have for both in person and TV atmosphere.

Rutgers vs. Maine at MetLife. Make it happen! The Knights vs. the Black Bears! Real men hunt with sword and lance.

There is zero reason for Rutgers to play Ohio State at MetLife Stadium. The purpose of high dynamic prcing for the OSU game is to encourage local football fans to buy season tickets. You move the game to the Meadowlands and you lose that incentive.

Contrary to what some here think, Rutgers is more interested in building its fanbase through season tickets than chasing a transient single-game dollar.

That's the mistake some make when they say moving a home game to Metlife/Giants stadium back in the day is that they only look at one game revenue...and completely ignore season tix sales/booster donations, many times BECAUSE the biggest game of the year is played on-campus.

Keep moving the biggest game of the year to Metlife and watch season tix sales/donations fall.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
"Keep moving the biggest game of the year to Metlife and watch season tix sales/donations fall."

No one is really suggesting this though. I think everyone pretty much agrees that it should be a once in forever kind of thing and only for the right price. The opinions seem to run from "I don't like it but I could deal with it once every few years" to "Over my cold, dead, corpse." That's about as unified as this board gets lol.

"Keep moving the biggest game of the year to Metlife and watch season tix sales/donations fall."

No one is really suggesting this though. I think everyone pretty much agrees that it should be a once in forever kind of thing and only for the right price.

And in the previous sentence, I noted that while one game revenue could be higher, season tix sales (and donations for that year) would still suffer if fans know well in advance that the biggest game of the year won't be played on-campus.

Biggest games of the year/season are HUGE SEASON TIX DRIVERS and without them on campus, sales/donations will drop.

At the initial press conference Tim Pernetti made it seem as if this had been discussed and that RU had expressed a willingness to play at MetLife every once in a while. That made it seem like the Big Ten had brought it up (Because why would Rutgers?). However, if you look at the recent comments from big ten folks they seem to have underestimated how great a venue we have for both in person and TV atmosphere.

-------------
This could have been a casual lie of sorts......the big 10 is aware of MetLife, nearer still to NYC, and we answer we are open to it when being interviewed to join...... I would suspect we would not be so willing when asked from this point on.

The bigger the game is, the more we need it at home, certainly in league

Its definitely something we have to look out. With OSU and Michigan raising 20M more from alumni, how are we supposed to compete? OSU/Rutgers and Rutgers/Penn State would sell out the Meadowlands.

Maryland is playing PSU at M&T stadium in Baltimore. its something we should investigate as well.
My understanding of why the game is at M&T Bank Stadium is because when Maryland was still in the ACC there was an agreement for them to play Virginia Tech at M&T. After the move to the B1G they were still obligated by contract to play a game there and opted for the PSU game which will likely be a sellout.

I personally prefer seeing college football games being played on campus since that's what really makes the atmosphere great. Students, alumni, etc. Those games at Jerry World are nothing but a money grab by Jones.

I know the B1G has some limits on how often a given school can move conference games off campus. Years ago the PSU game at Indiana was moved to the RCA Dome which at least was in the same state. More recently the Indiana home game against PSU was moved to FedEx Field. IU was in a tight budget spot and welcomed the $3 million+ payday from Dan Snyder. It was a great opportunity for PSU fans to make a short drive to an away game but I still didn't like the concept.

Last edited:
That's exactly right, NittPicker. Maryland often plays a game a year in Baltimore (it's actually not as much of a "stunt" as some in this thread believe; there are a lot of off-campus games in NCAA football, including conference games).

The Ravens asked for this particular game to replace the Virginia Tech game from last year.

As to the general point, I agree that on-campus games are preferable, but money often talks.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2013/06/03/maryland-penn-state-mt-bank-stadium.html

It was Rutgers stadium on Busch campus, or Rutgers stadium at Busch. Or Rutgers stadium at the heights.
Busch stadium I do not recall ever that reference

That was three years ago...the dynamics are changing....

It could happen...but "it would have to be a really big check".

A MORE likely option....is that we play a NEUTRAL site game at the Meadowlands against a major out of conference opponent on a one and done situation. Think like the old Kickoff Classic (but not an extra game).....or the Chick fila classic. Labor Day weekend when people can travel.

That was three years ago...the dynamics are changing....

It could happen...but "it would have to be a really big check".

A MORE likely option....is that we play a NEUTRAL site game at the Meadowlands against a major out of conference opponent on a one and done situation. Think like the old Kickoff Classic (but not an extra game).....or the Chick fila classic. Labor Day weekend when people can travel.

+1. Things have changed.

Unless RUTGERS is getting this.... $

I doubt it will ever happen again.

And for those of you who dream of a bigger Rutgers Stadium, you do not want this to happen.

Last edited:
Actually Syracuse in MetLife might be the perfect game for you guys.

As long as it's a Syracuse home game!
Wouldn't it be more lucrative for RU if it is was a neutral site game as the revenues would be split 50/50? Unless there is some rule about neutral site games having to replace a home game that I don't know about?
That's unlikely nowadays. We played Army as a home game at the new Meadowlands Stadium in 2010, but only because they offered us a significant amount of money that was more than we would clear on a home game in 2010. With the amount we bring in now for a home game, I don't think they could match that to lure us up there. Plus we'd never take a neutral site game there over a home game.

Q. Tim, there were some rumors going around about the possibility of playing some home games at Met Life as part of going with the Big Ten. Is that something you guys have discussed or are considering?

TIM PERNETTI: We did discuss it, and honestly, three years ago when we played Army at Met Life Stadium, and I had the same conversation with most of you about it, the beauty of our location and the geography is we have multiple options to compete in certain sports, football and basketball, off our campus. We've invested a lot in this stadium. We've invested a lot in the experience here, but we're always going to look at those things.

Now, Jim and I and Dr. Barchi had a very direct and frank conversation about that where I even asked if that would be something that the conference would require us to do. It's not something we're going to be required to do, but I will tell you that we're going to continue to do what we have been doing. We're going to look at those opportunities. I want to be a good partner to my new colleagues in the Big Ten. So if we can move a game on an infrequent basis to Met Life Stadium or to Yankee Stadium to help create new visibility and exposure for this conference in the East we are absolutely going to look at it and we are very likely going to do it.

this was for the perfect storm conditions i.e. Rutgers and PoSU are both undefeated at the end of the season and we are to play each other in late Nov.

I'm thinking RU will not schedule any games off campus while they're trying to raise money for facilities improvement. Will just give opponents ammunition being able to say "why spend money, just play off campus"

Reactions: Local Shill
Sell out Busch Stadium, continually. Then expand THAT facility per the evidence of continuing/constant demand and sell outs. Playing at any other facility is for "away" games only.
I think you could make a case that selling say 70,000 tickets at Giants Stadium shows more reason to expand than selling 55,000 tickets at Rutgers Stadium. It puts the excess demand on display in a way that selling out for a higher price does not.

Knight_Light is right that if we had just one big game a year, that it might cause season ticket sales to crash. So we would likely have to do it in the right year. Say a year when we had both Michigan and PSU at home, in which us and Michigan were expected to be good and we are considering expanding (because the point is to visibly show that there is plenty up demand that will show up for big games in a bigger stadium.)

Move the Michigan game to MetLife. Get extra money. See how big the crowd could get. Still sell plenty of season tickets becuase of PSU.

There is a simple solution to this. If people start writing the checks, there's no reason to play off campus. the only reason to consider offcampus is money.
right now, we are averaging about $350-$400 in donations per season ticket, when what we need is $1,000 a season ticket to fund facilities improvements.

facilities aren't going to fund themselves. we need a funding strategy and playing a game off campus can be part of that, if people are unable to donate enough.

Filling MetLife off campus will provide a solid business case for why Rutgers Stadium should be expanded on campus for the same reason, money. this of course, assumes that Rutgers continues to improve and make progress. You're not going to see any games offcampus in the next few years. But OSU 2017 could be a candidate.

Don't mind a game at Metlife (especially if its a marquee OOC), it helps to grow the brand.

Do mind a game at Yankees Stadium (it's not a place to watch football).

edit. It's also why I'm glad that we have that home and home scheduled with Temple, it's great for the fans in South Jersey.

If we could have made money on MetLife games over the last 2 or 3 years, it would have happened. Otherwise, it won't. Given the bind the Athletic Department is in, they would have taken the revenue over the last few years if it made sense to do so.

When we were only drawing 25K on campus, Mulcahy said that one game against PSU or ND at the Meadowlands would have brought in more than the other games on campus combined. Now that's not the case -- or we'd be playing there.

If we could have made money on MetLife games over the last 2 or 3 years, it would have happened. Otherwise, it won't. Given the bind the Athletic Department is in, they would have taken the revenue over the last few years if it made sense to do so.

When we were only drawing 25K on campus, Mulcahy said that one game against PSU or ND at the Meadowlands would have brought in more than the other games on campus combined. Now that's not the case -- or we'd be playing there.
Im not sure about that. I think it was very important from a PR perspective to show how rowdy our stadium could been, even if it meant leaving some money on the table. I mean we played Army at the Meadowlands just a few years ago - surely if that were a money maker, then Michigan or PSU would be.

After the bath they took in the army game, the jets/giants won't feel compelled to offer unless there is a very solid business case. Opponents like Nebraska, OSU, and PSU would fit the bill.

There is no good reason (financial or otherwise) for Rutgers to ever play a home game off-campus.

EVER

NEVER EVER

NOT EVEN ONCE

NEVER

Before the game (or at halftime), when Eric can walk again, he goes to the spot where he was injured and rises.....

Reactions: ATIOH
You would have to wonder if we lost a close game at MetLife to a big time team, if playing it our place might have swung the game our way.....you have to believe a home field advantage is mostly lost at the meadowlands

If expanding the seating of the stadium is a priority, you have to prove it is necessary. The only thing that will do that is filling the existing seats game after game and having a long waiting list for season tickets. Farming any home games outside will just delay if not destroy this.

Reactions: iReC89
Keep in mind that the Giants/Jets basically own the stadium. If a game was to be played there they would pay Rutgers a flat fee and keep all revenue for themselves. They would also give their season ticket holders a shot at the best seats. I wonder how much they made for the 2010 Army game - I believe they paid us what we would make on campus, maybe more and that was not a well attended game. Had they made money they might have found a way to get us back there.

I say - all home games on campus!

Keep in mind that the Giants/Jets basically own the stadium. If a game was to be played there they would pay Rutgers a flat fee and keep all revenue for themselves. They would also give their season ticket holders a shot at the best seats. I wonder how much they made for the 2010 Army game - I believe they paid us what we would make on campus, maybe more and that was not a well attended game. Had they made money they might have found a way to get us back there.

I say - all home games on campus!
After sitting on the goal line for the Army game in 2010 I made a promise never again or I will certainly give up my tickets ...If I live another 10-15 years maybe I'll feel different...but I remember many of our long time ticket holders being pissed off at our seat locations...It wasn't even close ...

Reactions: Local Shill
Home advantage is more then neutralized at Metlife. Unless RU has a waiting list, any higher ticket sales are disproportionately to away team fans, and you are likely to lose the cheering density of a packed house with people spread out. When a waiting list gets re-established, an occasional OCC game there might make sense, especially if it helps us get better opponents without spending a fortune.

Personally, I can't wait to this years home games in Piscataway. The schedule is unbelievable. Unfortunately I just got my kids travel schedule and I may miss a couple day games.

ADVERTISEMENT