ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State website on Julie

The author means well, I guess. But why say the campus smelled like manure when he arrived? I don't get it?
I will go on record that the campus has never smelled like manure, except for the farm on Cook.

I thought that was a pretty fair article and encapsulates what has been going on at our school and athletic department. Seemed like a writer who actually bothered to take into account all points of the situation rather than just parrot out anything that might be put out there by the local media for public consumption.

Nice comment by the RU band member below as well.

Yes, absolutely, I was trying to find the right words, and guess what? You found
them for me. " Poorly written piece of crap" gets 2nd by me. How can anyone say
that's a fair article?

Poorly written piece of crap by Rutgers alumnus on Ohio State blog dredging up issues not discussed in months.

Not sure I understand the rationale for writing this. No one is currently calling for Julie's head, yet it is written as if there is are protests outside the AD's office.

Reactions: RU Mike73
Yes, absolutely, I was trying to find the right words, and guess what? You found
them for me. " Poorly written piece of crap" gets 2nd by me. How can anyone say
that's a fair article?
I didn't have an issue with it. Who cares about the manure comment, I'm focusing on the main points of the article.

JH isn't the most media savvy. I think that's fair.
JH is coming from an AD where she served as the #2 to one of the best ADs in the country and helped build it up. and is more than qualified to help build us up as well. I think that's fair.
None of these media gaffes, real or otherwise, or other "mole hills" have any consequence on JH's real goal on improving our AD. That's fair and a point I've made here multiple times.
RU is highly politicized and that is a detriment. Fair to me.
The media and many of the states residents aren't "friendly" to the school. Again fair to me.

The main jist is JH, despite the media gaffes real or imagined, is perfectly qualified to take on the role of building our athletic department and there are a lot of other issues at play when it comes to RU in general and the way she's been perceived.

I don't pay attention to the minutiae those were the main points and I think all of them seem fair to me.

If she's able to reel in that 8 figure donation hopefully along with others, something we've never done in our AD's history, it'll be even more apparent how qualified she is.

I agree, the main points of the article were very fair and accurate for the most part. Not sure what everyone's complaining about. The manure comment was stupid because he probably just entered an area that was freshly mulched/landscaped at the time that he visited. He should have left that out. He has a point about Livingston campus though. That place was pretty much the netherworld in 2007. Now it looks like a part of some futuristic metropolis. He was trying to emphasize how things have improved at RU but he isnt the most gifted writer.

The author means well, I guess. But why say the campus smelled like manure when he arrived? I don't get it?
I will go on record that the campus has never smelled like manure, except for the farm on Cook.

Plus, if you're going to mention that and the disrepair of Livi, you should also mentioned the brand new buildings that have gone up and are going up. Also, maybe the writer visited while they were planting the spring plants?

Not sure I understand the rationale for writing this. No one is currently calling for Julie's head, yet it is written as if there is are protests outside the AD's office.
I agree the timing would seem off but I think it's kind of a response to another article on the same site from a couple weeks ago about how RU sucks and doesn't belong in the B10 etc..

So this guy puts up a response saying JH is more than qualified and has a chance to build up our AD despite what you may hear about her in the media or the issues RU may have locally. The last line basically says it to OSU fans who may have read or supported the previous article, saying basically you better hope JH's and RU's long term plans work out because they're not going anywhere.

Last edited:
This is the second Rutgers based article on that Blog in 1 week. Why are they all of sudden so worried about us?

This is the second Rutgers based article on that Blog in 1 week. Why are they all of sudden so worried about us?

They are not worried about us. They like us exactly where we are.

When opposing conference fans say good things about our AD that means that they expect that we will continue as cellar dwellers, which is good for them.

Why is it that RU fans are always looking for approval from our conference opponents ? That dog doesn't hunt.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
They are not worried about us. They like us exactly where we are.

When opposing conference fans say good things about our AD that means that they expect that we will continue as cellar dwellers, which is good for them.

Why is it that RU fans are always looking for approval from our conference opponents ? That dog doesn't hunt.
Who is looking for approval from our conference opponents? The question is why do the bloggers even care what Rutgers is doing. Shouldn't they be more concerned about Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin?

I thought the article was reasonable, but I think the culture has changed more than the writer lets on. It's definitely "in" to go to RU at pretty much every non-rich HS.

Also, we have plenty of t-shirt fans that never attended.

The only part I really hated was that sunsetlament posted a comment. That dude is insane.

Reactions: ruthetiger
To hell with well written! This article actually hits it. Rutgers has been doing the same old thing with their AD hires, and here comes Julie, and she is trying to change the culture, herself. Some people just don't get it. In order to build a winner, you have to think differently. Maybe this isn't written like the NYT like some of us would like to see, but in terms of keeping it a buck, the writer does that.

Doesn't it seem odd that the only people to even care about Rutgers besides us fans, and us alumni, are people outside of the state? I know it perplexed me?

Last edited:
Doesn't it seem odd that the only people to even care about Rutgers besides us fans, and us alumni, are people outside of the state? I know it perplexed me?

This is what drives me absolutely insane. Having lived and worked in the Midwest the respect and regard people have for their Big State Uniiversities is unbelievable. And the regard that people have for Rutgers is amazing. But at home in NJ, the disdain and disrespect for RU is nuts.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I think it's good that OSU sites,are writing articles,about Rutgers. Most OSU fans have very little knowledge of,the school and the area. As,with any publication or web site you'll get a variety of articles some of which are good and some bad.

Fans here aren't going to fine tooth comb the articles like you would, any more than you guys would do the same about say a Purdue or Iowa, or even an OSU.

I've been to NJ, Central, Northern, and Southern, many times. I tell people here that they would be surprised how green- with trees, farms, and quaint towns make up parts of the state. And while it took a bit of time to understand why I had to turn right to go left, it was nice to have my gas pumped for me.

it was pretty fair....at least it took a positive position of Julie unlike the NJ media or even blogs like On The Banks that reem Julie for everything....firing Baum an issue? really? lol that's a NJ media created issue...boo hoo

All anyone has to read from that article is this little nugget -

"People in New Jersey HATE Rutgers unless you actually went there. North Jerseyans send their kids to fancy private schools out of state and South Jersey kids are drawn to PA's rural schools"

DING DING DING. which is why i laugh at people who expect us to be this championship level program when we don't even have the support of local papers, citizens, politicians, etc. We are battling a tremendous opponent and its the State of New Jersey first and foremost. Then we have to play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin that all have the support of their own home states plus double our budgets, yet we are supposed to beat these teams? come on. solid article, but was it written by an OSU guy? he says in the article he's a Rutgers alum. I am assuming that that site is an OSU site.

Reactions: Ruthinking
yeah and Ohio is a great state--with no rust belt--have you been to cleveland

i thought the article was accurate (except for the manure part....probably mulch as others have suggested). Here's the quote that hit home..... (NYsportsfan beat me to it).

"People in New Jersey hateRutgers unless you actually went there. North Jerseyans send their kids to fancy private schools out of state and South Jersey kids are drawn to Pennsylvania's rural schools and other out of state public schools. Nobody in New Jersey strives to go to Rutgers."

Unfortunately, I see a lot of truth in that statement. It still feels like a safety school to most high schoolers. I recently spoke to some parents of high school age kids and they didn't even know about the B1G affiliation. This makes me think that the "We R Big" campaign doesn't get the point across. I think we need to be even more obvious than "We R Big". Imagine for a second that you never heard of the Big Ten and saw a billboard claiming that Rutgers is big!! This change of public opinion of RU gonna take longer than I thought...

Reactions: NYSportsFan
i thought the article was accurate (except for the manure part....probably mulch as others have suggested). Here's the quote that hit home..... (NYsportsfan beat me to it).

"People in New Jersey hateRutgers unless you actually went there. North Jerseyans send their kids to fancy private schools out of state and South Jersey kids are drawn to Pennsylvania's rural schools and other out of state public schools. Nobody in New Jersey strives to go to Rutgers."

Unfortunately, I see a lot of truth in that statement. It still feels like a safety school to most high schoolers. I recently spoke to some parents of high school age kids and they didn't even know about the B1G affiliation. This makes me think that the "We R Big" campaign doesn't get the point across. I think we need to be even more obvious than "We R Big". Imagine for a second that you never heard of the Big Ten and saw a billboard claiming that Rutgers is big!! This change of public opinion of RU gonna take longer than I thought...

great minds think alike RUthinking. changing mindset in NJ is always an uphill battle, and its for sure not going to happen overnight

A monkey with an anal absess could've written an equivalent blog entry. That said, there are a few kernels of truths in there. Among them is that New Jerseyans other than Rutgers alums hate Rutgers.

The writer is way too harsh in his criticism of RU; we're not as bad as he makes us out to be. I agree, why on earth write this, it's all old news? If I were going to write an article in response to the one posted by the Ohio State jerk I sure wouldn't be bringing up everything wrong with RU and making it sound a lot worse than it is. Something doesn't smell right here, pun intended.

Poorly written piece of crap by Rutgers alumnus on Ohio State blog dredging up issues not discussed in months.

Agree wholeheartedly

ADVERTISEMENT