ADVERTISEMENT

ok favorite song now, list only 2 or 3

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
I can remember where I was and how much in awe I was when I heard these cuts for the first time.

Tie Good Times Bad Times / Dazed And Confused….Zep
One way out………Allman Bros

I know there's 1000s more, but for me using that criteria…'those are them"

Well if we're playing by the rules as set forth by zappaa...

The opening riff of "Rock and Roll Band" by Boston. Hair still stands up when I hear it.

"Statesboro Blues" live by the Allman Brothers Band. "Ramblin Man" will do too.

"Big Country" by Big Country.

Those three all of some sort of significance for me.

And I will throw in "Song 2" by Blur just because....

Interested to see the responses. Hoping to add songs to my Spotify workout playlist.

For me, 3 songs from vastly different genres:

1- Supper's Ready - Genesis
2- How a Resurrection Really Feels - The Hold Steady
3- Willin' - Little Feat

"Thunder Road" by the Boss. Imagery, melody, story line, instruments, voice. It's a complete song. And it appeared when I was "coming of age," so there's the timing element as well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Comfortably Numb
Crazy Train (original version with Randy)
Sweet Child O Mine

I get chills whenever I hear the solos from the first two. Hard to pick 1 GNR song, when I could've said anything from the album.
This post was edited on 3/23 9:41 AM by Rokodesh

Originally posted by Rokodesh:
Comfortably Numb
Crazy Train (original version with Randy)
Sweet Child O Mine

I get chills whenever I hear the solos from the first two. Hard to pick 1 GNR song, when I could've said anything from the album.

This post was edited on 3/23 9:41 AM by Rokodesh
Us and Them by Pink Floyd, followed closely by comfortably numb

Loyal Sons
smile.r191677.gif

The theme song to Gigantor. I remember where I was--right in front of the TV set. Also, the Gong Show. ;-)

Originally posted by ag67:
Loyal Sons
smile.r191677.gif
C'mon 67-
You are in a very interesting music period, hard rock, Motown, folk ballots, English invasion, Elvis, Doo Wop hold overs.

I've found in your era you either went the way of The Stones or you stayed traditional, is there anything to that?

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Haha somehow I don't think people will play by the rules
lol, not quite sure what the "rules" are for this, anyway, so I'll focus on the part that said, "how much in awe I was when I heard these cuts for the first time." Will pick a few from the last 45 years or so. Here's part one, as I gotta go do work stuff...

Sweet Caroline, by Neil Diamond (1969) - first pop/rock song I really remember hearing the first time and loving it - was 7 years old and we were driving back from some family trip and I was enthralled

And You And I, by Yes (1972) - although it came out in '72, I didn't hear it until about 1974 or so, when I started really getting into Yes, as a 14-year old stoner. Fell in love with that amazing 12-string acoustic guitar that Steve Howe played so beautifully in that song.

Hotel California, by the Eagles (1977) - love the opening acoustic guitar play, and love when the bass drum kicks in, and of course, the wailing dueling guitars over the last couple of minutes. Was doing bong hits, drinking beer, and playing poker at my house with friends after school (our regular routine back then, lol) and the song came on and all of us kind of grooved to it.

I Will Follow, by U2 (1980) - opening guitar riff just killed me and the rest was great, too. My roommate, who DJ-ed frat parties, played it at a party one night in my first semester, freshman year, and I was floored. That was also when I really started to realize that I liked dancing and that that was also a great way to break the ice with girls.

Anything, Anything, by Dramarama (1985) - another song with a throat-grabbing opening guitar riff (many of my favorite songs feature that) - was at the Melody when Matt Pinfield dropped this and I was so blown away I remember running up to the DJ area to ask him who/what this amazing song was. Probably still my favorite song ever - close call between that and "Temptation" by New Order (which isn't on this list as it didn't completely floor me the first time I heard it - that one kind of grew on me).

Whether you're talking about favorite song or opening riff my answer is:

Voodoo Child - A Slight Repeat Jimi Hendrix

Doesn't hurt that I saw him play it live in MSG May, 1969

I'm just going to list two of my favorites that haven't been listed yet:

* It's The End of the World - REM
* Dream On - Aerosmith

1. Cortez the Killer......by Neil Young and Crazy Horse....#1 for me...always.
2 .Desolation Row.......by Bob Dylan.....it's so great IMO that it's a really long song but it's too short
3. Gimme Shelter........by The Rolling Stones....every single time I hear it I'm recalling party days back at RU.

but three is really tough....I could easily add five or six more to that list that are that great to me.
Actually, I just thought of three more....but Zappaa said two or three....so three it is.

Oh, and RU848789.....Zappaa said two or three !
And Neil Diamond blows.
This post was edited on 3/23 11:48 AM by Kbee3

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:

How long did it take you to sing that song all the way through with the right lyrics? (I'm still not sure I've done it despite random repeated attempts at getting it down.)

Dock of the Bay - That song still holds up and I still stop and listen every time I hear it

Gimme Shelter

Sweet Jane - talk about opening riff

Very tough but I have some not listed:

"I've Got A Feeling" Beatles, "Green Grass & High Tides" Outlaws, "Sultans Of Swing" Dire Straits

Top 3 songs of all time are:

1. Blue Sky Allman brothers

2. Take it Easy Eagles

3. Rosalita Bruce

This is impossible. I think there was a favorite song thread a few years ago,...and I listed a couple hundred songs. Depends on the day and my mood.

I"ll just mention a couple of under the radar songs that I really like:

"I'll Be Around" The Spinners

"Mary Jane's Last Dance" Tom Petty

"What Does It Take" Jr Walker and The Allstars

"Franklins Tower" The Grateful Dead

"Night Bird Flying" Jimi Hendrix

"He Can Only Hold Her" Amy Winehouse

"Amie" Pure Prarie League

"

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:

How long did it take you to sing that song all the way through with the right lyrics? (I'm still not sure I've done it despite random repeated attempts at getting it down.)
I still can't (haven't really tried to sit down and learn the lyrics). It's sorta why I like it, though. In the middle of the song, I'm just like "da da da da da da da. da da da da da da da."

"Growing Up" by the Boss

"Sweet Jane" by The Velvet Underground

"Santeria" by Sublime

"The Diamond Church Street Choir" by The Gaslight Anthem

"Mutt" by Blink 182

Ditto on Take It Easy and Hotel California

"Blueprint2" by HOV

"The Man In Me" by Bob Dylan

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:

I still can't (haven't really tried to sit down and learn the lyrics). It's sorta why I like it, though. In the middle of the song, I'm just like "da da da da da da da. da da da da da da da."
I didn't get past 1985 on my list yet, lol, so this might still make it. Great friggin' song and no, despite hundreds (thousands?) of listens, I can't get through the whole middle fast part, except for the part that goes, "Leonard Bernstein! Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs..." then something birthday cake, cheesecake party, blah, blah, blah, lol. Lots of fun on the dance floor when everyone yells "Leonard Bernstein!"

This changes all the time so I'll go on theme since I got my tax return

For the love of money - O'jays

Opportunities - Pet shop boys

Money City Maniacs - Sloan

Originally posted by jiggscasey:
This changes all the time so I'll go on theme since I got my tax return
"Let me tell you how it will be
there's one for you nineteen for me
Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the tax man"

This post was edited on 3/23 1:41 PM by mdk01

Cities - Talking Heads

Infected - Bad Religion

Cattle Drive - Marshall Tucker Live on Long Island

Well, so far, all but 3 people have been able to limit themselves. As I've started a similar topic like this before, I'm amazed it's lasted this long without someone posting every song they've liked over the last 25 years.

Anyway, here's my 3, winnowed down from a list of 17:

Velcro Fly - ZZ Top
I Knew The Bride (When She Used To Rock & Roll) - Nick Lowe
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen

Rush - Limelight (Neil Peart - nuff said)
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock We Salute You (best opening - hard to pick one AC/DC song)
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (I know it's obvious but doesn't mean its not great)
Blue Oyster Cult (cowbell and what happened to those guys)
Aerosmith - Dream On (see Zeppelin)
Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps/Penny Lane/A Day in the Life (can't choose one)

Originally posted by zappaa:

Loyal Sons
smile.r191677.gif
C'mon 67-
You are in a very interesting music period, hard rock, Motown, folk ballots, English invasion, Elvis, Doo Wop hold overs.

I've found in your era you either went the way of The Stones or you stayed traditional, is there anything to that?
Zap. I was born in 61 and your "choice" of music was limited. Mostly you listened to what your parents played until you were old enough to buy your own record player and music. They controlled what you heard until you were in your young teens. Even than your exploration was limited as they had you "turn down that blasted noise"
laugh.r191677.gif

Once I was old enough to drive at 17, then my music interest exploded as I controlled the radio in the car and I could buy my own albums. Had to listen at home with headphones. By freshman year at RU I had made about 10 trips to CBGB and seen tons of concerts at the Garden State Arts Center. I had a "free" pass

However I never stuck to one type of music. I lean toward punk/alternative but I like traditional old school stuff as well. I find myself listening to Big Joe Henry on the weekends a lot. The same music that was OK by my parents. LOL

Lover, You Should've Come Over: Jeff Buckley
In the Sun: Joseph Arthur
Perpetual Change: Yes

And many more.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
Originally posted by zappaa:

Loyal Sons
smile.r191677.gif
C'mon 67-

Zap. I was born in 61 and your "choice" of music was limited. Mostly you listened to what your parents played until you were old enough to buy your own record player and music. They controlled what you heard until you were in your young teens. Even than your exploration was limited as they had you "turn down that blasted noise"
laugh.r191677.gif

Once I was old enough to drive at 17, then my music interest exploded as I controlled the radio in the car and I could buy my own albums. Had to listen at home with headphones. By freshman year at RU I had made about 10 trips to CBGB and seen tons of concerts at the Garden State Arts Center. I had a "free" pass

However I never stuck to one type of music. I lean toward punk/alternative but I like traditional old school stuff as well. I find myself listening to Big Joe Henry on the weekends a lot. The same music that was OK by my parents. LOL
You don't count Bus, I'm 6 years older than you…LOL.
I had two older brothers, one was Stones, Hendrix, Cream, the other was Motown, Elvis, Kingston Trio… My parents were not even involved with my music evolution.

In no particular order:

'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' - Santa Esmeralda

"It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" - ACDC

"Bad Luck" - Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes

"Shambala" - Three Dog Night

"In My House" - Mary Jane Girls

"All Too Much" - Beatles

"Charlie Brown" - Coldplay

"Eternal Optimism" - The Cult vs Flo Rida (She Sells Sanctuary/Good Feeling)

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
Well, so far, all but 3 people have been able to limit themselves. As I've started a similar topic like this before, I'm amazed it's lasted this long without someone posting every song they've liked over the last 25 years.

Anyway, here's my 3, winnowed down from a list of 17:

Velcro Fly - ZZ Top
I Knew The Bride (When She Used To Rock & Roll) - Nick Lowe
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
And now it's FOUR people.......not cool.
It was hard, hard work to limit it to three songs. Perhaps I should have just ignored Zappaa's request as well.
Huh, I just thought of two more tunes that qualified IMO..

ADVERTISEMENT