ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma President - Big 12 should Strive for 12 Teams

Oklahoma is gonna be in the SEC sooner than later.
Boren has maintained they elected not to join up with them a few years back. OU has eyes for the Pac-12 and the Big Ten. I'd imagine they'd be willing to go to the ACC if that was an option.

And NYC is not a college football town , let alone a RU Football town, yet Jim Delaney added RU. You are under estimating the awakening UCF in college football, and whoever among the Big12 or ACC doesn't snag UCF will be making a big mistake. Orlando is not only big, it's growing.
PS- how many Bowl games in Orlando now?

Also, from Sports Media Watch, look at UCF's games TV ratings, ranked 39 in D1 (ahead of Baylor TCU, Louiville, W Va, Maryland, Rutgers, yes Rutgers lol, etc etc etc)

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ge-football-tv-ratings-2014-texas-am-missouri
Two things wrong here.

1. The Big Ten added RU because its business model with the BTN means you only need temas that a marginally popular, as long as they are popular in big markets.

2. Orlando isnt a big market. Its a mid-sized market. Its about 20% the size of the NYC market and is similar to Cleveland, Sacramento, or Pittsburgh. In CFB markets are measured in terms of states for the most part anyway (yes technically they will look at the TV markets - but you can count on UF or FSU to deliver big ratings in all of Floridas markets, not just Gainesville and Tallahassee.)

3. That UCF got a decent rating in a year it was a BCS bowl team isnt too surprising, but at thsoe levels, its mostly about what network you were on more than anything.

The reason to add UCF isny their TV draw. If the contract oesnt automatically add money for new teams, then the Big 12 would lose money on the TV end. They would hope to make it up in extra revenue from the conference championship, the playoffs, and from the goodwill of being in the playoffs.

As pointed out this could just be OU trying to exert a little muscle as they see a power struggle going on at Texas because the President and some influential alums and their asshole AD.

Yet the ACC has remained in the Cartel by doing that at least in part. The difference between Louisville, Pitt, Cincinnati and Memphis is their network contracts.

And I think you're wrong about Cincinnati and Orlando. You may be right about Tampa, but only because Tampa isn't a sports town at all (though the crowds were great when USF was good--same as the Bucs.)
You are confused. The ACC remained in the cartel by retaining FSU and Clemson, not by adding Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse.

nope.

Just something that the message boards made up due to their locations and AAU membership.

The ONLY schools I have heard named by the Big Ten people (not JD) were schools like Kansas, Vandy, Florida. Vandy and Florida both refuse to leave the SEC.

Texas did want to approach the Big Ten when the Big12 was falling apart.

So unless Texas and Kansas wants to join or UND, the Big Ten will not be expanding with full members anything soon.
LOL. They dont want Virginia or UNC but they want Kansas and Venderbilt? That defies any logical analysis.

LOL. They dont want Virginia or UNC but they want Kansas and Venderbilt? That defies any logical analysis.

Agree. The B1G is still trying to expand south if possible. They are likely done out west unless Texas decided they've had enough punishment. I think the B1G would love to add GT/NC, but swapping Virginia for one of them would be a consolation prize.

It will now be extremely hard for the Big 12 to get any ACC team to break their GOR.

Also, former Big 12 teams (Colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou and Texas A&M) are not coming back..hence why some of the top G5 schools are in play.
One of the main reasons Nebraska left the BIG 12 was because Texas was(and still is)running the show.When they looked at joining the PAC 12 a few years back they insisted on keeping the Longhorn Network as well as spliiting the PAC 12 tv revenue.PAC 12 response was have a good day.

More coverage out of the Dallas Morning News last night as writer sums up yesterday's events/quotes.

OU’s Boren says Big 12 is ‘psychologically disadvantaged (at a 10 member conf)
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...f-conference-presidents-favor-expansion.html/

Now that the cat is out of the bag...seems that Big 12 Commish Bowlsby is now afraid to even ask what other Univ President's think or say on this topic.

During an appearance Friday on the “Paul Finebaum Show,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said he doesn’t sense that a majority of league presidents favor expansion, even though he hasn’t taken a vote and doesn’t plan one.
He was on his other line with Austin.

GT... that was a legit school brought up by some at the Big Ten, never heard anyone mention UVA or UNC.

ESPN's Paul Finebaum is interviewing UCF Coach (and now interim AD) George O'Leary at 5 pm today.

Cincinnati's Coach Tubberville also had a national radio interview today.

Coincidence?

Host Ian Fitzsimmons also tweeted out this from Tuberville’s interview:

Tubs told us he has heard if the Big 12 doesn't expand as David Boren said it should it could be absorbed into the other Power 5 conferences

— Ian Fitzsimmons (@Ianfitzespn) June 29, 2015

HUH?

2. Orlando isnt a big market. Its a mid-sized market.

Out of the 210 US TV Markets in the USA, Orlando is now the 18th largest market in the USA...and growing.

Networks (especially FOX which doesn't have a part of the SEC or ACC) wants a piece of a conf in FLA.

Also, UCF's 60,000 plus student body has pushed their alumni base up to almost 230,000...as UCF will have over 300,000 alumni by 2020...and 400,000 alumni by 2028.

No clue if its an option but if networks want Big 12 to add 4 teams to get to 14 member conf (like Big Ten, like SEC and like the ACC who has 14.5 teams with ND), if they added UCF and USF...those 2 next door tv markets combined would tie Chicago for #3 TV market in the USA.

Can you really see Texas and Oklahoma playing schools in the Pacific 12? Oregon St vs Texas? Oklahoma vs. Wazzu? Cal? These are conference games?? The Southwest/Texas needs a conference, no reason to break up the XII

Host Ian Fitzsimmons also tweeted out this from Tuberville’s interview:

Tubs told us he has heard if the Big 12 doesn't expand as David Boren said it should it could be absorbed into the other Power 5 conferences

— Ian Fitzsimmons (@Ianfitzespn) June 29, 2015

HUH?
Again, who wants KSU, OkSt, ISU & prob Kan? Also, Tex being so top heavy, I can see a real breakup in that state between SEC, Big 10 & the PAC.

Again, who wants KSU, OkSt, ISU & prob Kan? Also, Tex being so top heavy, I can see a real breakup in that state between SEC, Big 10 & the PAC.

If there is a new conference expansion feeding frenzy coming, the PAC has very little choices and those schools might be targets for them .
I really think that the PAC would go after OK & OK St as targets hoping the schools and the Oklahoma legislature won't want
to see them in different conferences.
I doubt the SEC or B1G would offer a package deal to get Oklahoma., but think the PAC would knowing Texas would start looking to save itself and might join those two without demanding special treatment to join the PAC.

Eventually all the Power Conferences will have 16 schools.
The question is will there be 5 power conferences with 16 or will one (ACC/Big 12) be raided and lose its power rating.
That's why I feel the B-12 needs to expand , not follow the old BE's status quo tactic and only move on adding members , after losing some. We all seen what that did and no matter what the reason, it cost the BE a chance to be a power conference ,
which led to it breaking up.
The Vitamin Conference might suffer the same fate, if it makes the same mistake and stays in the status quo mode until it's forced to act because of schools leaving

adding Cincy, UCF, USF, and Memphis adds a grand total of zero markets.

Not only that, ECU has quietly had a better program than all 4 of those schools over a much longer period of time and brings an emerging Carolina TV market. They probably have been the most consistent FBS program in North Carolina over the past 10 years and have an awesome game day atmosphere in large stadium. They'd also be somewhat of a travel partner for WVU. I think UCF can eventually be there but ECU has been doing it longer. Before someone says "what has ECU won?" as we learned when we were invited it's not about that. It's about TV markets and having shown enough to have the POTENTIAL to be a major player for years to come. ECU has that edge over cincy and UCF despite those two schools going to BCS bowls in the past decade. IMO Cincy offers nothing.

Always absent from these discussions; two items:

Ou and osu are essentially a package deal...no way their state legislative body lets them "divorce" ...period

Most also seem to forget that A&M to the SEC was a remarkable set or circumstances when the legislature was off session and it was clear that baylor and tex tech were both safe...that level of assuredness may never happen again! Although the horns are a powerful brand, they are now in care-taker status...this is not changing and you better believe that the trio of Baylor Texas Tech and TCU will join forces (in court if necessary) to prevent Texas from leaving them behind…the big12 better expand now because it is not going anywhere!

UConn and Temple, book it. Gives Big 12 access to both the #1 and #4 TV markets. And let's be honest, those Temple versus Kansas and Kansas State games would be epic affairs played in front of 15,000 frenzied fans at the Linc.

Not only that, ECU has quietly had a better program than all 4 of those schools over a much longer period of time and brings an emerging Carolina TV market. They probably have been the most consistent FBS program in North Carolina over the past 10 years and have an awesome game day atmosphere in large stadium. They'd also be somewhat of a travel partner for WVU. I think UCF can eventually be there but ECU has been doing it longer. Before someone says "what has ECU won?" as we learned when we were invited it's not about that. It's about TV markets and having shown enough to have the POTENTIAL to be a major player for years to come. ECU has that edge over cincy and UCF despite those two schools going to BCS bowls in the past decade. IMO Cincy offers nothing.

Huh?

ECU hasn't finished ranked in the Top 25 since since 1996! (And that was in just 1 poll..unranked in the other).

ECU finished just 1 season ranked in the Top 10...and that was 1991.

ECU is a fine program...but you seemed to have been duped to "all that ECU success"...especially over the last 2 plus decades.

Always absent from these discussions; two items:

Ou and osu are essentially a package deal...no way their state legislative body lets them "divorce" ...period

Most also seem to forget that A&M to the SEC was a remarkable set or circumstances when the legislature was off session and it was clear that baylor and tex tech were both safe...that level of assuredness may never happen again! Although the horns are a powerful brand, they are now in care-taker status...this is not changing and you better believe that the trio of Baylor Texas Tech and TCU will join forces (in court if necessary) to prevent Texas from leaving them behind…the big12 better expand now because it is not going anywhere!
1. So?
2. I think you are wishcasting. Texas was allowed to leave Rice, Houston, and TCU behind last time. Tech I could see getting a bailout as a major state school - but Im guessing the PAC12 would be just fine in the end with taking the quartet of OU, OSU, TT, and UT if it meant being able to add 8 million households to their network. The SEC probably not - but they dont need Texas. I doubt the Big Ten would do it either.

To the poster above - ECU is interesting becusae they are like WVU or VT - they have a pretty reliable fan base for a lower level school. As good as any other NC team in my mind. If I were the Big 12 and I wanted to go East I would go ECU and UCF. Florida is so big that UCF can carve out a decent niche as a P5 team there. North Carolina is still largely up for grabs in FB - one of the few large states where a CUSA level team moving to a P5 conference could really make waves.

UConn and Temple, book it. Gives Big 12 access to both the #1 and #4 TV markets. And let's be honest, those Temple versus Kansas and Kansas State games would be epic affairs played in front of 15,000 frenzied fans at the Linc.

do you really think Kansas will bring 10,000 fans?

North Carolina is one of the most over loaded states with power 5 teams compared to competition. ACC is 4 NC schools. How can you say "North Carolina is still largely up for grabs in FB - one of the few large states where a CUSA level team moving to a P5 conference could really make waves."

North Carolina is one of the most over loaded states with power 5 teams compared to competition. ACC is 4 NC schools. How can you say "North Carolina is still largely up for grabs in FB - one of the few large states where a CUSA level team moving to a P5 conference could really make waves."

Because none of those P5 schools in NC are currently killing it in football on a big time level. ECU with the right exposure and conference affiliation could.

Because none of those P5 schools in NC are currently killing it in football on a big time level. ECU with the right exposure and conference affiliation could.

That state is overcrowded when it comes to BCS football. I dont see ECU having any more upside than Wake Forest or NC State or Carolina.

That state is overcrowded when it comes to BCS football. I dont see ECU having any more upside than Wake Forest or NC State or Carolina.
The upside is that they are already ahead of Wake and Duke in terms of fans and generally on field performance, and on par with UNC and NC State on and off the field (in FB). So if they are already level, imagine what happens if they are a P5 team playing Texas instead of Texas State.

Basically, there arent alot of large population states (the ones worth money) that dont have a runaway favorite P5 team but could support one (so exclude NY and MA). Florida would be owrth the add because its SO big and recruit heavy that it can support four P5 teams at a decent level. SO you look for places where the P5 team would have a decent shot at becoming if not THE team - at least a 1A - and in big states, only NC stands out.

Good Topic and several good post!

First off...The Big-12 will Implode before the ACC will!!!

Second...Either the PAC or Big-12 expands next...The PAC can ONLY go EAST...Targets would be...Big-12 Schools!!!

The PAC already told Tex-@$$ to take a hike, so they're OUT...However, The PAC would still take TT (Gets them into Texas), and they'll take an Oklahoma and Kansas School, and believe it or not Iowa State...That gives them four more states to expand in, and ties them together with Arizona, Colorado and Utah.

Oklahoma and Kansas HAVE Eyes for the BIG...That reunites them with Nebraska, and it gives the BIG another Blue Blood Program in BOTH Basketball and Football...The Big-12 is TOAST, and the Okie President and AD know it!!!

The SEC will take WVU because they OWN the state and have a BIG following in the Pitt area...That helps open up Pennsylvania Beefy Linemen Recruiting, and it POKES a stick in the eye of BOTH the ACC and the BIG...And maybe another Texas School (Baylor?, Houston, TCU), other than the HEADACHE that is Tex-@$$!!!

The ONLY conference that would be willing to take Tex-@$$ is the ACC...But thats after the Longhorns have been HUMBLED by being REJECTED by the BIG, PAC and SEC...That gives the ACC an EASY in with ESPN to turn the LHN into the ACC Network...And Notre Dame WILL be ALL in, in the ACC within three years!!!

The other G5 Schools that were being mentioned here, and ARE Deserving of inclusion into the P5 will eventually form a new conference that WILL be included in the Playoff Expansion when it moves to an Eight Team Playoff...Five Conferenc Champs and Three At Large Selections.

I see a TRUE Coast to Coast 16 Team Conference consisting of teams from medium to large Metro Areas, set up in Regional Pods:

North
Army (NE and NY Markets)
Connecticut (NE)
Cincinnati (Ohio)
Temple (Philly)
All these schools put a Conference Flag in the BIG Footprint!

South
Central Florida (Orlando)
East Carolina (Central Atlantic Markets to include Maryland, NC and Virginia)
Navy (Baltimore and DC)
South Florida (Tampa)
All these schools put a Conference Flag in the ACC and SEC Footprint!!!

Central

Baylor (Texas Market)
Colorado State (Colorado Market)
Memphis (Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee Markets)
TCU (Dallas/Ft. Worth)
All these schools put a flag in the BIG, PAC and SEC Footprint!!!

West
Air Force (Colorado)
Boise State (ALL of Idaho and the NW Markets of Oregon and Washington)
BYU (Utah)
San Diego State (Southern California Market).
All these schools put a Conference Flag in the PAC Footprint!!!

Give these schools the same access to a piece of the pie that the schols in the P5 Conferences have now and you'd be surprised as to how well they could and can compete!!!

Just my two cents worth!

:sunglasses:

Last edited:
It is about tv markets and UCF will be getting invited to a power conference probably the BIG 12.I don't see ECU as a viable alternative,NC and NC State are already there so what market are you going to gain?

It is about tv markets and UCF will be getting invited to a power conference probably the BIG 12.I don't see ECU as a viable alternative,NC and NC State are already there so what market are you going to gain?

East Carolina has the 3rd largest stadium in North Carolina, and their fanbase is as large as UNC and NCST...There are alot of UNC and NCST Fans that root for ECU as their second team!

The Pirates are a team like Virginia Tech...Not the State School but Well Liked in Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia...They offer a lot more then people know!!!

Reactions: LC-88
East Carolina is small time, not even the Big East wanted them nor anyone else. North Carolina had to put in a good word for them.

If the Big 12 dropped the ball with BYU, and didn't go after FSU and Clemson before the GOR kicked in then there is no way in hell they will add ECU.

The entire state of North Carolina. ECU is popular there. Its like saying in 1990 - Virginia is already there, so why would you add Virginia Tech just to get the Blacksburg/Roanoke market.

Of course the Big 12 will drop the ball on ECU like the ACC did with WVU because the focus on markets is great short term, but long term, you want teams that have passionate fan bases - the kind who will pay to see their team on TV - which will be how money is made after cable TV goes down the tubes.

nope.

Just something that the message boards made up due to their locations and AAU membership.

The ONLY schools I have heard named by the Big Ten people (not JD) were schools like Kansas, Vandy, Florida. Vandy and Florida both refuse to leave the SEC.

Texas did want to approach the Big Ten when the Big12 was falling apart.

So unless Texas and Kansas wants to join or UND, the Big Ten will not be expanding with full members anything soon.

You are so wrong here. Delaney is a UNC alumn and really wants UNC and UVA. Maryland was a keystone to a fufuture discussion. Georgiat Tech was also in the mix in case UNC demanded Duke come with them.

Obviously UNC wants to stay Texas to its ACC.

East Carolina is small time, not even the Big East wanted them nor anyone else. North Carolina had to put in a good word for them.

If the Big 12 dropped the ball with BYU, and didn't go after FSU and Clemson before the GOR kicked in then there is no way in hell they will add ECU.

Dude...If ECU is "small time", whats that make Rutgers...Overall History is UGLY!!!

As far as the Big East... a conference Rutger was a part of a FEW Short Years ago...Why do you think it IMPLODED???...They listened to Basketball ONLY Schools!!!

ECU should have been selected over a school like Tulane!!!

Reactions: BoogieKnight
East Carolina has the 3rd largest stadium in North Carolina, and their fanbase is as large as UNC and NCST..

ECU has a solid football fan base (44,786 last season...and just under 44,000 in 2013), not so good NC State (54,398) and UNC (54,667) teams still outdraw them in football attendance and outdraw them in TV ratings. (Zero reason to even bring up basketball fan bases...as UNC and NC State dwarf ECU's not so good hoop following.)

ECU has a solid football fan base (44,786 last season...and just under 44,000 in 2013), not so good NC State (54,398) and UNC (54,667) teams still outdraw them in football attendance and outdraw them in TV ratings. (Zero reason to even bring up basketball fan bases...as UNC and NC State dwarf ECU's not so good hoop following.)

As I said, ECU has the 3rd largest stadium and fan base in North Carolina...And lots of NCST and UNC Fans root for ECU as a second team!!! Noone mentioned Basketball but you...However, do you think Rutgers BB outdraws ECU BB...NJ vs. Tabacco Road...I HIGHLY Doubt It!!!

As I said, ECU has the 3rd largest stadium and fan base in North Carolina...And lots of NCST and UNC Fans root for ECU as a second team!!! Noone mentioned Basketball but you...However, do you think Rutgers BB outdraws ECU BB...NJ vs. Tabacco Road...I HIGHLY Doubt It!!!

Somehow I doubt you are "American Male"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT