ADVERTISEMENT

Omoruyi Must Develop a Quicker Post Move

Drsupremo

Redshirt
Feb 15, 2010
How many times does Cliff, with his back to the basket, make several predictive, ponderous dribbles, only to either get the ball stripped, take an off balance half-assed, ugly looking hook or off balanced scoop shot or make a lousy pass that results in a turnover? Time to develop a variety of new moves, with an emphasis on using his supernatural quickness and quick twitch jumping ability.

One perfect example of what I'm referring to is the quick jump hook basket he made at the end of the Wisconsin game. He received the post entry pass and immediately turned and put up the jump hook. There were no ponderous dribbles and thus no one could double him. 1-2-3 shoot. Turn left or right -- in an instant.

Another thought would be for Cliff to receive the post entry pass about 10-12 feet from the basket. Immediately upon receipt of the pass, Cliff should turn and face his defender and then drive right or left to the basket. Another variation would be a jab step and then a dribble to a jump shot.

Cliff is unable to master the drop step, low post move. He has bad hands and his footwork is not improving.

Time to figure out some new moves. He should be a 20 point scorer.

Reactions: Ruthinking
How many times does Cliff, with his back to the basket, make several predictive, ponderous dribbles, only to either get the ball stripped, take an off balance half-assed, ugly looking hook or off balanced scoop shot or make a lousy pass that results in a turnover? Time to develop a variety of new moves, with an emphasis on using his supernatural quickness and quick twitch jumping ability.

One perfect example of what I'm referring to is the quick jump hook basket he made at the end of the Wisconsin game. He received the post entry pass and immediately turned and put up the jump hook. There were no ponderous dribbles and thus no one could double him. 1-2-3 shoot. Turn left or right -- in an instant.

Another thought would be for Cliff to receive the post entry pass about 10-12 feet from the basket. Immediately upon receipt of the pass, Cliff should turn and face his defender and then drive right or left to the basket. Another variation would be a jab step and then a dribble to a jump shot.

Cliff is unable to master the drop step, low post move. He has bad hands and his footwork is not improving.

I think you are right about deciding quickly and making a move before he gets doubled or tripled team like Wisconsin and others have done when he delays or tries to fake

I think you are right about deciding quickly and making a move before he gets doubled or tripled team like Wisconsin and others have done when he delays or tries to fake
I think he need to work on shooting the ball instead of throwing it. His free throws have gotten a lot better so hopefully so can his post shooting

No he needs to develop touch and arc on his post shot. Everything is a line drive and fast/forced.

Kinda shocking he isn't. I don't know why we feed him so much so far from basket. He simply doesn't have the skills to score from there.

No he needs to develop touch and arc on his post shot. Everything is a line drive and fast/forced.
the second part is right...but if he doesnt have touch on his low post fastballs, ahem i mean shots, he never will. he is who is, positives and negatives.,

He should not get the ball 8 ft from the basket. That's not for him. Not yet. He needs touches but they must be quality touches. Passes that get him moving away from the basket or making drop down to pick up low ball are useless. I'd say being decisive is more important than being quick.

Reactions: FastMJ and carmenst
If I was Pikiel, this off season, have him Watch Hakeeem Olajuwon in the post on a loop and then get in the gym and practice that footwork. I dont know if we will ever have the touch, but he should have much better foot work based on his athleticism

Reactions: satnom
Not sure if anyone noticed it, but I saw one major improvement in Cliff the other day.

Typically during a double team in the post Cliff will allow the double team to dictate what he does.

Vs PSU I think for the first time ever I saw Cliff put the ball on the floor, dribble away from the double team, and make an excellent pass out. I believe this led to the Oskar corner 3.

Cliff can make the short jumper. I think he can develop that hook shot. He has a drop step. He can get a lot better. The tools are there imo. He’s already pretty good. A couple of huge buckets down the stretch Sunday.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Lots of good points in this thread. Arc the ball on the jump hook, immediately put the move on to the basket after the pass, learn where to pass after the double team (this is as more on the staff, right?), practice a fade away jump shot.

He has unlimited upside. So many possibilities!

I have a somewhat different take about where Cliff needs to improve. To be sure, I think he's an excellent player - probably the best pure athlete RU has ever had.

If I were the coach, I'd have Mo Sanu running the Juggs machine to throw fast basketballs to Cliff. Gotta improve his hands receiving the ball.

Reactions: FastMJ
Cliff needs post moves on the block shooting 2-5 feet shots off the backboard instead of line drive shots into the rim.

If Cliff learns to use the backboard, he is 20/10 every game. Take it to the bank [pun intended].

GO RU

Reactions: Rufaninga
We have all of These big men coaching gurus here saying what he should do….while the guy is getting 13-10 a game ???

I imagine the ball feels like a tennis ball in his hands. And the way he is able to flick his wrists anywhere close to the hoop to dunk or scoop shot, I’d imagine that’s how I’d shoot too, if I had a ball too small for my hands.

The pro that fits this same description is Shaq. Cliff doesn’t have Shaq’s size though to bump and create space. Oddly enough, despite his size, when you watch Shaq highlights, he actually rises up pretty quickly too once he decides to shoot.

Unfortunately, Cliff gets the ball too far from the basket too often. If he was closer, I’d say he should just make one hard dribble before attempting a turnaround hook shot. Just gotta maintain some balance.

As long as he lives he'll never be a offensive player. He is exactly what he is

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT