ADVERTISEMENT

One Thing Is Clear Re: Corey...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
... is that we have never (at least not since I became an RU hoops fan in 1995) had a guard with a handle like his. He got more crowd reactions than anyone else out there tonight, showing out and having fun in a meaningless allstar game. And he busted up Briscoe real good once... got in his face and stole the rock, forcing Briscoe to foul him, ha! I for one am happy he's a Scarlet Knight. His game is a bit raw and very street but he is gonna be fun to watch at the RAC.

Reason to have high hopes ... and then hope that they are greatly exceeded!

Awesome kid. If he can use that handle to draw two guards and make a pass..good things coming next season.

One thing that got be excited about his handle yesterday that wasn't in the stat line for Corey was that at one time they tried to get Corey in a full court press. I understand its an all-star game but these are two 5 star players double teaming Corey in a trap. He just did his thing and dribbled right between them like it was nothing. If he's like this all the time it could get to the point where I want teams to press us because that will be just handing us two free points every time.

He is fast and that helps a lot in press. If you can't beat them with speed though, you are better off making a pass technically. Saw B daniels turn the ball over like that a lot this year.

But daniels and Sanders in a fast break, watch out. Hopefully it all works out. Just gotta make sure to be smart.

Liked his handled and hops, but definitely needs to develop an outside shot.

Will be the most athletic guard I can recall at RU; liked that he actually passed the ball to open guys a fair amount in an all-star game. The talent is obviously there - now let's see how Jordan does with that talent and the rest of the talent coming in - we need these guys to really gel as a team and that's no small order.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
One thing about Mack, he wasn't a star athlete so he made sure he had a shot coming in. He also consistently hit free throws. Sanders has shoes to fill, and i am willing to tamper my expectations a little. Mack was a player who had an outside shot and would hit his free throws.

Sanders has compared himself to Westbrook. The big is too smart to let players get into the full court. They defend it well. For sanders to be successful he must do the same things mack did. We'll miss Myles Mack.

Waiting or hoping for non-shooters to become shooters is a painful and generally unrewarding piece of business. I'm sure Mack worked at it. But he also had the talent to shoot. Some don't. It's not as if anyone can do it if they just practice enough.

WIllis,are you saying it's innate or something?You don't think practice with a coach would help?Like it just can't be improved. Tell any shooter how they became a good at it.

These games are hard to get anything tangible from. AAU,these games, lanes wide open every time. Corey
s gotta funny way with moves. Hell make a move just to stun a guy. Next year I know will be different. Make move, pass by them. No time to show the guy you beat him.

Waiting or hoping for non-shooters to become shooters is a painful and generally unrewarding piece of business. I'm sure Mack worked at it. But he also had the talent to shoot. Some don't. It's not as if anyone can do it if they just practice enough.

+1. RU fans have lived with this experience for quite some time. Other than Quincy Douby who are the shooters that have been on our roster the past 15 years ?

Reactions: Local Shill
WIllis,are you saying it's innate or something?You don't think practice with a coach would help?Like it just can't be improved. Tell any shooter how they became a good at it.

If that's the word you'd like to use, feel free. But it's like any athletic skill. To some extent you have it or you don't. If it were different, RU could just pick any kid out of high school and make him practice enough so that he becomes an elite shooter. It doesn't work that way. I get the impression that some think it does, or at least seem to think that a player with a bad outside shot can simply develop a really good one by practicing a lot. Because it's not an obvious athletic talent, like jumping high or running fast, it gets changed into something that can be uniquely developed more so than other talents.

Sure, you can get better, like anything else, through hard work. But there will be a limit, and you've got to have the talent in the first place. There's a reason that some people are good at darts and other aren't, or are top (and actual) sharpshooters, and others aren't. Some people can make a long wooden stick hit a small ball traveling really fast that is three fee away from them better than others (it's called baseball). But that doesn't mean that you will become great at it by just practicing a lot.

All of this is to say that when I read about a player who doesn't have good outside shooting skills, and predictions that he can become a threat that way by practice, I say uh oh.

(Go back and read the articles about all the shots that Dane Miller took in the off season to try to improve his outside shooting. How'd that work out?)

Curious why we are going back and forth on Coreys outside game? The announcer himself that Corey missing freethrows is unlike him hes a good free throw shooter. And by the way he doesn't have to be great just good enough to keep people honest. We've spent freakin over a decade trying to make shooting guards into PGs we finally got a great PG and you guys see one game and we want him to play like a SG. Shoot me.

Reactions: fredRU93
Curious why we are going back and forth on Coreys outside game? The announcer himself that Corey missing freethrows is unlike him hes a good free throw shooter. And by the way he doesn't have to be great just good enough to keep people honest. We've spent freakin over a decade trying to make shooting guards into PGs we finally got a great PG and you guys see one game and we want him to play like a SG. Shoot me.
All those questions aside, we desperately need to inject some life into that building. He will do just that. I was considering dropping my tickets after about 20 years, but the recent recruiting news has me ready to give it another shot and see how this team develops.

You need both point guards and shooters. If you can get two in one, all the better. Historically, we have tried to get by with points who weren't really points. I really haven't seen enough of Sanders to say definitively how good or bad he is as a shooter.

Wills, i guess our opinions differ but that obvioulsy doesn't make yours wrong. If you don't start out with decent fundamentals of shooting, you can consistently shoot bad no matter how many shots you take.

The thing that I see tricky is how bad habits are hard to break. After 5000 shots of bad shooting mechanics, it's going to be hard to correct them and shoot the right way. It's about learning how to shoot well when you're young I think.

What do you think?

Ricky Shields, Billet, Mack

Do you differentiate between shooter and scorer? If so, which would you consider Mack? And if you think Mack was a shooter, would you consider a guy like Wooten to be a shooter? He had crazy range, too. Interesting topic to think about (shooters).

To me Jerome Coleman would fit in the category of scorer more than shooter.

Hodgson had a game where he was perfect from both the field and the line, including six three-pointers. You don't have a stat line like that if you're not a shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT