ADVERTISEMENT

OOC scheduling

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
With us being in the "toughest" division of one of the top conferences in football, those who claim our OOC scheduling should be laden with other big schools should be silenced now. Our league schedule brings more than enough glitter to our schedule without loading up with some more major players. We will be hard pressed to keep up with the top BIG programs as it is

I can see both sides of this argument.

I would like to be like Solomon and come down in the middle...

Have another BCS "name"-type opponent to go with the B1G sked but leave it at one and have another reasonable bought game or two.

With us being in the "toughest" division of one of the top conferences in football, those who claim our OOC scheduling should be laden with other big schools should be silenced now. Our league schedule brings more than enough glitter to our schedule without loading up with some more major players. We will be hard pressed to keep up with the top BIG programs as it is

SEC! SEC! SEC! I'm pretty sure we've consistently roasted SEC schools on this board who have this attitude.

Reactions: Knight_Light
I agree there is no reason to play tougher opponents, but I'd like us to drop the service academies. I don't have any data, but I'd guess there is a higher risk of injury when playing Army or Navy based on their blocking and tackling techniques. In addition to the big injuries, I'm sure many other guys get banged up with lingering injuries that we don't hear about, and are forced to play through.

We need to ease up with the occ games.

I do like playing Power 5 schools. But it should be Kansas types not Bama.

Your gonig to see schedules that give us a chance to get to 6/7 wins minimum in order to continue to go to bowls. Like the last few years. And, that's fine with me. Everyone is doing it.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Rutgers does not have the Cachet to play DII schools like Bama and many in the SEC. We must still play the Kansas and WSU and win to get the respect to play creampuff. As for Army and Navy they are a loss, loss situation,1) the outside the box offenses and 2)blocking scheme lead to injuries not worth playing. A Temple and UConn't should be subsisted as 90% of the time it will be a win against a DI school and it suppresses them recruiting Jersey and both when away can be a "Home" game.

Look at the OOC schedules of the two teams in this years NC game. For me, 1 P5, one bought MAC game, and 1AA once we move to 9 conference games . Until then add a 2nd p5 with one being a perennial bowl team and the other a crapfest.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
The OOC schedule should have a few goals:
- help us get enough wins to be bowl eligible (if we believe we are not in the top tier of the B10 - ie. Ohio St and Mich St). A model of 3-4 OOC wins plus 4-5 B10 wins will do the trick.
- allow us to schedule 7 home games a year
- allow us to try and bring back some of our old Big East rivalries (Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UConn, etc...)
- allow the athletic department to save a few dollars with more localized travel for OOC away games (ie. UConn, Army, Navy, BC). These games can be via bus and not air charter.

Reactions: RUChoppin
If you don't want Army/Navy, which are local, then that means Temple and UConn, which I am fine with. UBuffalo and UMass? BC, Cuse and Pitt?

Does anyone know where the B1G has landed on FCS scheduling? At first I had heard that they were banning future FCS scheduling, but that previously-scheduled games could be played. Then I heard they had backed off that position because the other P5's were not doing likewise, but I have not seen this in writing.

I strongly suspect that we will be playing an FCS every year for as long as the NCAA and the B1G allow us to do so. And correctly so, IMO. I am fine with 9 conference games, 1 P5 home and home, 1 Group of 5, and 1 FCS.

SEC! SEC! SEC! I'm pretty sure we've consistently roasted SEC schools on this board who have this attitude.

Difference being, we're on a bit of a different trajectory than elite SEC level teams. When we're working at bagging our second, third ... NC, then we can start booking only P5-level powerhouses. For now, I gotta agree with the OP.

I like what we've done scheduling lower-level BCS teams, which are basically in the same league as us. We have a chance to get an extra BCS win every year. It may not be a "shock the CFB world"-type win, but it's also not the more likely "get absolutely dismantled by an OOC" every year.

I think with moving to a 9 game conference schedule, we have to have an FCS game.

Rutgers does not have the Cachet to play DII schools like Bama and many in the SEC. We must still play the Kansas and WSU and win to get the respect to play creampuff. As for Army and Navy they are a loss, loss situation,1) the outside the box offenses and 2)blocking scheme lead to injuries not worth playing. A Temple and UConn't should be subsisted as 90% of the time it will be a win against a DI school and it suppresses them recruiting Jersey and both when away can be a "Home" game.
  1. We don't play DII, nor does the SEC. We all play one FCS.
  2. We are in the B1G. We play OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan EVERY YEAR. We have plenty of opportunities to win and get respect. We don't need our OOC games to achieve that objective.
  3. After 2015, we don't have Army or Navy on our future schedules at this time. We certainly won't be playing Navy again anytime soon. With eight AAC games, ND, Army, and Air Force every year, they only have one opportunity to schedule down.
  4. We have Temple scheduled home and home 2020-2023. IMO the advantage of that game is that it provides exposure in the Philly area which is prime recruiting ground. I don't understand the comment about suppressing them recruiting Jersey... if anything it helps them, but it helps us more. Conversely, scheduling UConn does NOTHING for us and we should never do it.

2016 OOC:
Washington Huskies
Howard
New Mexico

2017 OOC:
Washington Huskies
Morgan State
E Michigan

2018 OOC:
Kansas

2019 OOC:
Miami

2016 OOC:
Washington Huskies
Howard
New Mexico

2017 OOC:
Washington Huskies
Morgan State
E Michigan

2018 OOC:
Kansas

2019 OOC:
Miami
And...

• 09/05 - at UCLA
  • 09/12 - Temple
  • 09/11 - UCLA
  • 09/25 - at Temple

Our schedules are perfedt now

9 confrence games
1 power 5 confrence game...home when we have 4 league home games and away when we have 5 league home games
1 bought home game against a lower 1a team
1 home game against a 1aa team

7 home games per year

We play
Wahsington 2016-2017
Miami 2019-2019
UCLA 2020-2021
Va tech some time after UCLA

Those a perfedt teams to be playing for our power 5 games

I'd rather play Buffalo or UMass instead of Morgan or Norfolk, and BOTH (former) we should play only at RU. I like the local touch better, and add a national team for the exposure,i.e. BIG12, SEC, PAC12, or ACC.

I do agree with the OP but for a different reason. Next year we go to a nine game conference schedule. As a result every other year we will have 4 home and 5 away conference games. In order to get to our 7 home games all three out of conference games must be home. That means we must start buying one and dones or get 2 home for one away deals or else we will be playing 6 even 5 home games in some seasons. At this point in time in our program we can't afford to pay for top competition in a one or done, we need to find the team that is willing to play us for a little as possible. That means bottom of the barrel OOC opponents. OSU, Michigan, PSU, they will be able to afford to pay a huge sum of money to get to their 7 home games. So unless you want to be at a disadvantage every single season before the season even starts get used to playing crappy teams at home.

I'd rather play Buffalo or UMass instead of Morgan or Norfolk, and BOTH (former) we should play only at RU. I like the local touch better, and add a national team for the exposure,i.e. BIG12, SEC, PAC12, or ACC.
Buying an FCS game is a lot cheaper than buying a lower level FBS game.

You must consistently beat other P5 schools to gain any traction as a perennial contender for recruits and titles.

Not sure I even understand the point. I don't recall -- ever -- anyone saying out schedule should be "laden" with other power-conference schools. Ever. Not even when we were in an eight-team Big East. So let's start there by not setting up straw men, not that that ever happens on this board. :)
Our schedules, for years, SUCKED. No way around it. They did. But moving forward, they don't. There is one legit team on just about all of them going forward. With four -- or three -- non-conference games, one "real" team is all we need. Again, not sure I've ever heard an argument against that.
The only argument I can recall that is even valid based on the OP is the FCS issue. The Big Ten will decide that more than we will. If we can play one, we should play one, although I wouldn't mind playing a UMass or a Buffalo, and those would be at worst 2-for-1s. At worst. (Hell, Baylor went to Buffalo, so don't act like it's so insulting.) I don't mind Temple because it's an easy road trip and an awesome stadium for the players to be in.
I think our schedules are fine. Quality foe, decent foe, easy win. Don't see the reason for any of this.

Oh, by the way, NOBODY should be "silenced" unless they break the rules of the board. So stuff that line as well.

Reactions: Local Shill
Do the players like playing against the FCS teams? I'm sure it's fun to score, but I'd rather score against a P5 team than Howard myself. And, as a fan, those games are simply hard to watch. I wish the NCAA would put an end to them for everyone. I realize the small schools fund their programs with these games, but they shouldn't count imo. Have them be official preseason games or something.

Last year, just 2 out of the 7 Big Ten East Division members had an above .500 record in conf play.

Conf and obviously divisional strength changes from year to year...and last year, Big Ten East had 2 really good teams and 5 not-so-goodgreat teams.

Last year, just 2 out of the 7 Big Ten East Division members had an above .500 record in conf play.

Conf and obviously divisional strength changes from year to year...and last year, Big Ten East had 2 really good teams and 5 not-so-goodgreat teams.
And the AAC sucks. UCF is a part of C-USA 2.0

Do the players like playing against the FCS teams? I'm sure it's fun to score, but I'd rather score against a P5 team than Howard myself. And, as a fan, those games are simply hard to watch. I wish the NCAA would put an end to them for everyone. I realize the small schools fund their programs with these games, but they shouldn't count imo. Have them be official preseason games or something.
The reason the schedule was increased to 12 games was to add the FCS game.

Reactions: Knight_Light
As a season ticket holder, alumni, and football fan we should NOT be playing the Howards, Norfolk St of the world. We need to be playing D1A teams every week of the season.

Benefits of playing D1A Teams (P5 or not):
- National exposure
- Strength of schedule
- See what other programs do
- Create rivalries
- Forge meaningful games with bigger implications
- Challenge yourself and program

Benefits of playing D1AA or lower:
- Make yourself bowl eligible
- Beat up on lousy teams and boost your confidence
- Have fans think you are better than you really are
- Lose on homecoming (my attempt at humor)

I'm laughing because only Rutgers fans can still be havening this discussion.Every single year, we play Mich/OSU/Mich St/PSU etc etc etc...we have now scheduled teams like WSU, KS, Miami, UCLA, etc. We do not need to worry if we play a Howard or Norfolk St each year- we win our games and we will be respected.
How can you possibly have this conversation when you see our schedule? And I for one, am all for the Oh La La girls visiting every other year- just saying

As a season ticket holder, alumni, and football fan we should NOT be playing the Howards, Norfolk St of the world. We need to be playing D1A teams every week of the season.

Benefits of playing D1A Teams (P5 or not):
- National exposure
- Strength of schedule
- See what other programs do
- Create rivalries
- Forge meaningful games with bigger implications
- Challenge yourself and program

Do a vast majority of all P5 teams play FCS teams?

I'm laughing because only Rutgers fans can still be havening this discussion.Every single year, we play Mich/OSU/Mich St/PSU etc etc etc...we have now scheduled teams like WSU, KS, Miami, UCLA, etc. We do not need to worry if we play a Howard or Norfolk St each year- we win our games and we will be respected.

How can you possibly have this conversation when you see our schedule? And I for one, am all for the Oh La La girls visiting every other year- just saying

Because bitching and moaning is the official New Jersey sport, and these posters are doing their best to represent the great state of New Jersey.

We need to ease up with the occ games.

I do like playing Power 5 schools. But it should be Kansas types not Bama.

+1 Agree. When you have OSU, MSU and Nebraska coming in to your building in a season, what more do you need?

Best local OOC game = Temple by far
Second best local OOC game = Army
Best national OOC game = USF, UCF, Florida Atlantic or FIU
Best Power 5 OOC game = Virginia or Miami
Worst OOC game on future schedule = Washington

Do you guys not know that our schedule is fully set through 2017 and that we have scheduled at least one OOC P5 team through 2024?

Do a vast majority of all P5 teams play FCS teams?
I would say a majority of the P5s play FCS. I would stop short of saying a vast majority.

In the B1G for 2015, it's split right down the middle. Seven do, seven don't.

I'm not saying we have to play opponents from just the Pac-12, Big 12, ACC, SEC--- we can play Mountain West, MAC, WAC, et el.

We just need to stop playing the Howard Bison's of the world. What does that prove? We should only be playing teams that have a chance to win a National Championship.

I said this before I guess people didn't want to read the long post. The benefit of scheduling a lower team is money money money. If we schedule all good teams you are asking the football team to lose money. We can't afford to pay one-and-dones against P5. And we can't afford to play home and homes since every other year we won't have an away OOC.

ADVERTISEMENT