ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Blog-Rutgers a Bad Addition to the B1G

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Ouch. They give props to women's soccer, women's basketball and wrestling (kind of), at least.
------------------------------
Snippets:

We knew Rutgers wasn't going to provide much of a benefit for football
and basketball. Did we understand how bad they were going to suck at
everything else?

I won't pretend to be an aficionado of college men's soccer, but I know
enough to figure out this isn't very good, especially since the only
team the Scarlet Knights were able to beat was Wisconsin, who beat
exactly nobody in Big Ten play.

. With the school lacking a quality facility, compared to the rest of
the conference, coupled with the depth of coaching talent, I don't see
any way this changes dramatically in the near future. Rutgers is really
bad at basketball, and will probably stay that way.

Okay, so maybe the fall and winter were tough for Rutgers. But what
about the spring? Maybe they're just some late bloomers. What about
lacrosse? They play lacrosse pretty well in the northeast, right?

So to recap, not only did Rutgers fail to capture a single league title in their first season, they haven't even come close,
only cracking the top four in two sports. Rutgers finished (or is
currently ranked) last or second to last in an astonishing eight sports.
Their football program was their best male team sport, and they didn't
crack the top six of the conference. Rutgers has been uniformly terrible
at nearly every level.

But hey, TV sets. Location. National brand. Enjoy those hypothetical
Nielsen ratings the next time you have to watch a terrible Rutgers
sporting event in the near future.

Link

Anyone can be a writer these days. All you need is a keyboard, username and a password.

GO RU

Originally posted by anvilofstars:
It's our first season and we were competing with a lot less income. That'll change soon and hopefully so will the results.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
150 years of intercollegiate athletics at Rutgers. Let's not make excuses. Shoulders to the wheel, and let's get to work.

Originally posted by SanFranRutgers:
Originally posted by anvilofstars:
It's our first season and we were competing with a lot less income. That'll change soon and hopefully so will the results.
150 years of intercollegiate athletics at Rutgers. Let's not make excuses. Shoulders to the wheel, and let's get to work.
Right attitude , in my opinion.
party0012.r191677.gif

But hey, TV sets. Location. National brand. Enjoy those hypothetical
Nielsen ratings the next time you have to watch a terrible Rutgers
sporting event in the near future.

This was the sole reason we are in the BIG and not stuck in the AAC like UConn and Cincy. We have no "go to" sport that we can go to and say "at least we are good at that". We were brought only for our location and the fact that we can actually generate enough money from cable boxes that we are actually going to bring in more money then we take out. That being said let take advantage of this situation now and start getting better across the board.

anyone can be a dumbass these days. B1G invited us because when we play away games thats when R Nation is watching on TV. These pundits need to quit crying because they are going to be raking in money because of our viewership.

It truly amazes me how stupid some "writers" are and how anyone can just about post anything on the internet and theyll call it "journalism"

Those clowns don't realize if we went 0-4 OOC in football TCU probably goes to the playoff instead of OSU.

Originally posted by MoobyCow:
We're terrible at almost every sport and it is embarrassing. I can't get worked up when people point out we suck because they are right.
Who cares. The writer makes it seem like sports are all equal. Normalizing for importance, the weights are something like:

Football: 90%

Men's basketball: 9.9%

Everything else: .1%

So congrats on OSU's women's tennis team being significantly better than ours. I'm sure that makes for some impressive bragging rights to the half dozen people nationally who actually give a shit.

This post was edited on 4/19 7:21 PM by RUGT

He's kinda right. We're there to make everyone else richer and we'll get rich in the process. What we do with those riches is the question. It begins now.

I have yet to find someone who expresses this kind of sentiment in person. People write snarky articles and post derisive comments in order to get attention. Posters do it here about Temple and UConn all the time.

This guy wants to snap the chalk at a place where it fits his narrative. A lot of teams finished ranked behind us in wrestling, but since our volleyball team didn't win a game in conference it's a problem. Only Penn State and us didn't lose an OOC football game, but other teams have competitive field hockey teams so that makes their athletic departments less embarrassing. The author suddenly cares about the travel of student athletes out east, but I'd wager is in favor of a 12 game football season and an expanded post season.

We're on their mind. They're talking about us because they know it'll generate clicks and attention. That's all I take from articles like this. If it bothers you (and even if it doesn't) I suggest you donate to the Big Ten Champions Fund.

This post was edited on 4/19 7:31 PM by RUseaweed

Moron. Football won more than Purdue and Indiana who have been in the conference forever.

Blogs are meaningless and who cares what he says. But empirically, we really haven't even come within a game of a conference title and we are at or close to the very bottom (and winless in conference in multiple sports) of the conference in multiple sports - volleyball, tennis, mens and womens lax, field hockey, MBB, mens track, womens track, etc. Even wrestling, an excellent top 25 program, couldn't do much in the B1G. We simply don't have the resources and facilities to get the kids we need to compete effectively in a conference like this (and we barely competed in most sports in the AAC). A long way to go, but eprhaps when the B1G revenues start coming in, it will help.

Was there any mention of how many of these students from Rutgers actually get their degrees?

These are student-athletes.

OSU is a one classless university. They are getting just as bad as Penn State.

Originally posted by IL Lusciato:
I'd say we didn't do too bad in Football. So idk what this clown is talking about.
In a 14 team league, the only football teams with fewer 2014 Big 10 football wins were Penn State, Indiana and Purdue. Rutgers did fine this year in football compared to expectations, but you can not expect other Big 10 fans to be impressed with 3-5, particularly when 3 of the losses were blow-outs. The blog writer is just expressing the opinion of most B10 fans

Originally posted by RUseaweed:
I have yet to find someone who expresses this kind of sentiment in person. People write snarky articles and post derisive comments in order to get attention. Posters do it here about Temple and UConn all the time.

This guy wants to snap the chalk at a place where it fits his narrative. A lot of teams finished ranked behind us in wrestling, but since our volleyball team didn't win a game in conference it's a problem. Only Penn State and us didn't lose an OOC football game, but other teams have competitive field hockey teams so that makes their athletic departments less embarrassing. The author suddenly cares about the travel of student athletes out east, but I'd wager is in favor of a 12 game football season and an expanded post season.

We're on their mind. They're talking about us because they know it'll generate clicks and attention. That's all I take from articles like this. If it bothers you (and even if it doesn't) I suggest you donate to the Big Ten Champions Fund.

For Big 10 conference matches, the only teams ranked below Rutgers in wrestling were Michigan State, Indiana and Maryland. In a 14 team league, 3 teams is not a lot.

Originally posted by ElmiraExpress:

Originally posted by RUseaweed:

For Big 10 conference matches, the only teams ranked below Rutgers in wrestling were Michigan State, Indiana and Maryland. In a 14 team league, 3 teams is not a lot.
Alright champ, we finished ranked in the top 25 which means that there were several dozen teams below us. Should I have supplanted wrestling for finishing top 4 in womens basketball in conference?

Provide something of substance rather than a snipe.

Wrestling was 2-7 in B1G but they didn't wrestle the 3 bottom teams in the B1G. Maryland, Michigan State and Indiana were horrible dual meet teams that RU would have blasted. RU did finish as a top 25 dual meet team and return everybody next season. The dual meet record will be better and they will again be a top 25 Dual meet team next season (should be pushing top 10/15). Also RU Wrestling is just starting to run like a Division 1 Program. When Goodale started he had 3 scholarships and zero NCAA Qualifiers These other B1G programs have been fully funded forever. It's amazing how fast the program has grown and is able to be competitive now in the best conference in USA. We still have a bunch of catching up to do in many areas to be equal to most B1G programs but you can bet RU Wrestling will be very competitive and will bring out the fans in the future. NJ loves their wrestling and most are just getting introduced to how great D1 College Wrestling is. Next years NCAA Tournament at MSG will be our B1G splash! It's a great time to be a RU Wrestling Fan!

Let's Go RU!

Guess we got the last laugh.
We may never win championships but we will collect our share of the money.
The joke is on the the rest of the conference.

I'd say we didn't do too bad in Football. So idk what this clown is talking about.
In a 14 team league, the only football teams with fewer 2014 Big 10 football wins were Penn State, Indiana and Purdue. Rutgers did fine this year in football compared to expectations, but you can not expect other Big 10 fans to be impressed with 3-5, particularly when 3 of the losses were blow-outs. The blog writer is just expressing the opinion of most B10 fans
Those loses were against arguable the best teams in the Big Ten of which all were ranked at some point except for Penn State. Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska and Wisconsin were all ranked at least one point of the season. It's not like we're in the Big Ten West where we would play a pretty average schedule. We also drew arguably the best 2 teams out of the West as cross-over games. The Big Ten did us no favors with our scheduling the first two years. Despite that we won all the out of conference games and killed UNC in our bowl game.

Our mens lacrosse team and soccer team have certainly taken a nose dive in the last 20 years. Once consistent top 25 programs.

I had a lot of hope inmen's lacrosse this year but it was a bit of a disappointment. This is a sport that rutgers should invest some resources in aside from football and hoops. We have excellent geographic location and have had success.

And put the games back at yurcack. The empty football stadium is embarrassing. However, I Would have loved to see lax beforethespring game tho like OSU did.

Originally posted by satnom:
Anyone can be a writer these days. All you need is a keyboard, username and a password.

GO RU
and most of all - no more than half a brain.

Lack of a quality soccer facility?? Are you kidding? We have one of the largest soccer-specific stadiums in the country, it's a great facility and we have more soccer practice fields than any other sport I'm pretty sure.

Won 0 B1G Championships. Doesn't mention our women's track star who won her B1G championship.

Top 4 in two sports. How about Purdue? They finished top 4 in exactly 1 sport (Mens bball), where they finished tied for 4th. They are last in more common sports than us. Maybe we should kick them out?

Also, it's a little ironic that the message is that football is really what matters, well it was our best sport but now that we're not doing great in the olympic sports now they matter .... If when it came to athletics anything but football mattered, UConn would be in the Big Ten.

Originally posted by ScarletDave:
Lack of a quality soccer facility?? Are you kidding? We have one of the largest soccer-specific stadiums in the country, it's a great facility and we have more soccer practice fields than any other sport I'm pretty sure.

Won 0 B1G Championships. Doesn't mention our women's track star who won her B1G championship.

Top 4 in two sports.
No one cares about your facts and your logic.

You guys are taking one article and running with it. MOST OSU and BIG fans realize that the Rutgers addition to the conference is extremely valuable - it's our access to a huge market. The fertile NJ/Maryland recruiting base is another asset. Once you're in the conference a few years, I really believe your athletic department will be in the middle/top of the BIG. I could probably pull out a few derogatory posts about OSU/BIG from your boards/local papers but does this represent your views as a total fan base - no.

All major carriers in this area have renegotiated their contracts with BTN within one year since we joined the B1G. I do not think anyone in Columbus will be crying with the extra cash we are bringing in from cable.

Unfortunately, we will not see the total benefit for a few years and that will impact our ability to compete on a level field in the Olympic sports.

Originally posted by ClassOf02:
He's kinda right. We're there to make everyone else richer and we'll get rich in the process. What we do with those riches is the question. It begins now.
True...as Big Ten wanted the #1 TV Market in the USA so they can cash in on their Big Ten TV Network, plus, have an ace in the hole for every upcoming TV Negotiation with ESPN in coming years.

Now that RU is part of the Big Boys club...time is now to sees the opportunity.

Originally posted by sct1111:

Those loses were against arguable the best teams in the Big Ten of which all were ranked at some point except for Penn State. Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska and Wisconsin were all ranked at least one point of the season. It's not like we're in the Big Ten West where we would play a pretty average schedule. We also drew arguably the best 2 teams out of the West as cross-over games. The Big Ten did us no favors with our scheduling the first two years. Despite that we won all the out of conference games and killed UNC in our bowl game.
What about the teams with the same number of losses - add in Michigan, Northwestern, and Illinois. Now tack on the fact that we were the ONLY team in the conference to play the four highest ranked teams. Massey's composite had us 6th. In the top half. Sorry - thats not bad. Its pretty good considering where we came from. 8 other teams, 7 of whom had the benefit of being Big Ten schools for decades couldnt beat that.

There are sports where we are legitimately bad. And there are none where we are legitimately great. The writer is right about that. Denying it would be pointless. But to say we sucked at FB. If thats the opinion of most Big Ten fans, then either most Big Ten fans are OSU, MSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, or Minnesota fans, or they should look in the mirror because we were as good or better than them.

And yes - we now are beginning the opportunity to catch up. Its gonna take a while. We are still running on basically a MAC infrastructure outside of FB, and are only getting Big East level money. Thats not a recipe for catching up to Big Ten schools with Big Ten money and Big Ten infrastructure (MD is in this set - the Big Ten only really passed the ACC as a cash cow in the past few years.), but its what we are stuck with.

In thee meain time, I suggest this fellow write to OSU's leadership and demand they send back the money they made off of us, and will make in the future if we are such a bad addition.

It's a blog. Who the F cares.

We don't need to care, repost and get angry about every non news article online. Get a thicker skin and stop searching for negativity!

Originally posted by R1950:
You guys are taking one article and running with it. MOST OSU and BIG fans realize that the Rutgers addition to the conference is extremely valuable - it's our access to a huge market. The fertile NJ/Maryland recruiting base is another asset. Once you're in the conference a few years, I really believe your athletic department will be in the middle/top of the BIG. I could probably pull out a few derogatory posts about OSU/BIG from your boards/local papers but does this represent your views as a total fan base - no.
you're a good dude from your posts here. I don't get overly worked up about this stuff anyway, its crazy. Hard to say its a bad addition when having access to NY media market will be useful in bringing in more money for everyone over the long term. Besides, It's really only Football and Basketball that matter. We won 8 games in our first football season, women made the NCAA basketball tournament. The only really bad team that matters is men's bball. And hopefully having a plan to improve facilities will help towards recruiting better talent.

This post was edited on 4/20 9:39 AM by Rokodesh

We may suck at most sports but let's be honest here-did we think we were going to compete in most sports from the beginning? No and that's ok. We will get there. What the blogger failed to mention here is that because the OSU "student-athletes" are so dumb, we exponentially raise the academic standards of the BIG. OSU seems to be more in line with the Big 12 in regards to their academic standing.

Mindlessly and without basis insulting folks that gratuitously malign us (although in terms of their saying that we have poor sports teams they are, for the most, part pretty accurate) isn't really becoming of RU fans and merely diverts us from the fact that we have an urgent need to get better in almost all of the sports that we play. Kirk Herbstreit, Robert Smith, Eddie George, Archie Griffin, Clark Kellogg, Jack Nicklaus are all former stars at OSU and now very successful in broadcasting, athletic administration and/or business don't really seem so dumb. But mindless chauvinism is.

We went undefeated OOC and won our bowl convincingly and had a respectable football season. We also did quite well in attendance and in wresting and wrestling attendance. We lost to the eventual national champ in WBB and I'm pretty sure we were ranked the entire season.

It's basically been the same the past several years- we are respectable in football, wrestling, WBB and women's soccer. We are really bad at everything else. It's been that way since the late 2000s or so.

Our MBB, lacrosse and soccer programs are a disgrace, especially compared to NJ talent. But what does that matter in the scheme of the B1G...football is king.

ADVERTISEMENT