ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Blog-Rutgers a Bad Addition to the B1G

Originally posted by IL Lusciato:
I'd say we didn't do too bad in Football. So idk what this clown is talking about.
What are you people watching?

PSU, lost ..................13-10
Mich, won ......26-24
OSU, lost.................56-17
NEB, lost.................42-24
Wis, lost..................37-0
Indy, won....43-23
Mich, lost................. 45-2
Maryland, won..41-38

The nation doesn't care what you do against the bottom feeders.

Thanks, MozRU for your reality check - yes the season was better than many of us expected. That is certainly something to be pleased about. But that doesn't get you respect in your league (especially a top notch one like ours) or get you recruits. All that matters is winning, nothing else, and while our FB team is certainly ahead - at least for this year - of almost all of our other sports in that regard (the majority of which are mediocre and many of which are absolutely abysmal), lauding a team and coach that has yet to beat a ranked team and that has beaten a total of two FBS teams with winning records in the last three years is a bit premature.

Off the top of my head, there were 4 winning or ranked teams: FB, WBB, Wrestling, and W Soccer.

That's around 20% of all teams RU sponsors. Pretty bad by any standard.

Sure-you are going to get some bright guys once in a while. Don't tell me that Andy Katzenmoyer, Maurice Clarett and the other jabronis from this place are irrelevant from this conversation. The article a year back showing how poor the grades were for OSU's football team show these kids aren't the smartest group of kids. This is a factory that only cares about swallowing up kids and spitting them out on the gridiron. And let's be honest-any moron can be a broadcaster. It's not hard to talk in to a camera-even Lou Holtz was doing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by R1950:
You guys are taking one article and running with it. MOST OSU and BIG fans realize that the Rutgers addition to the conference is extremely valuable - it's our access to a huge market. The fertile NJ/Maryland recruiting base is another asset. Once you're in the conference a few years, I really believe your athletic department will be in the middle/top of the BIG. I could probably pull out a few derogatory posts about OSU/BIG from your boards/local papers but does this represent your views as a total fan base - no.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you're a good dude from your posts here. I don't get overly worked up about this stuff anyway, its crazy. Hard to say its a bad addition when having access to NY media market will be useful in bringing in more money for everyone over the long term. Besides, It's really only Football and Basketball that matter. We won 8 games in our first football season, women made the NCAA basketball tournament. The only really bad team that matters is men's bball. And hopefully having a plan to improve facilities will help towards recruiting better talent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'd get a lot of resistance to that idea on the PSU boards. Took them about a millisecond to ban me on all of their boards. I guess they consider me a very small part in the overall huge BIG scheme against them. Hell, I went over to congratulate them on last year's bowl win (being a fellow BIG member) and by the end of the thread was being called a low-life cheat. See, Rutger and OSU fans do have something in common.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by MozRU:

I'd say we didn't do too bad in Football. So idk what this clown is talking about.

Mich, won ......26-24
Indy, won....43-23
Maryland, won..41-38

we won three road games as substantial underdogs, and then a bowl game as a close tossup

if you look at the entire season, we did better than most expected....granted we got pasted by the top teams, but we still
did better than figured overall......

Originally posted by ScarletDave:
Lack of a quality soccer facility?? Are you kidding? We have one of the largest soccer-specific stadiums in the country, it's a great facility and we have more soccer practice fields than any other sport I'm pretty sure.

Won 0 B1G Championships. Doesn't mention our women's track star who won her B1G championship.

Top 4 in two sports. How about Purdue? They finished top 4 in exactly 1 sport (Mens bball), where they finished tied for 4th. They are last in more common sports than us. Maybe we should kick them out?

Also, it's a little ironic that the message is that football is really what matters, well it was our best sport but now that we're not doing great in the olympic sports now they matter .... If when it came to athletics anything but football mattered, UConn would be in the Big Ten.
Nailed it. I swear every time I turn my head theres some "blogger" who is talking out of his ass about RU. We've barely been here for a year and these asshats incessantly make shit up to try and boost their "Rutgers is a mistake" prediction.

Originally posted by derleider:

And yes - we now are beginning the opportunity to catch up. Its gonna take a while. We are still running on basically a MAC infrastructure outside of FB, and are only getting Big East level money. Thats not a recipe for catching up to Big Ten schools with Big Ten money and Big Ten infrastructure (MD is in this set - the Big Ten only really passed the ACC as a cash cow in the past few years.), but its what we are stuck with.
This. Absolutely this.

For decades, RU's administration wasn't committed to athletic success and thus, more athletic funding. Only somewhat recently did the RU admins start to care about more money for better facilities and coaches (15-20 years ago). It takes time. The traditional powerhouses were committed to successful athletes, coaches, and facilities for many, many decades.

Plus, RU came from a now mid-major league which, for most of its existence, had inept leadership, while Maryland and Nebraska came from other P5 conferences

The turnaround of the football program since 2005 was nothing short of monumental, but even that required some facility upgrades to sell Schiano's blind faith to top players. While all of us here are thankful for that, the same kinds of upgrades are needed for the other sports.

Originally posted by CuredbywinningRU:
Thanks, MozRU for your reality check - yes the season was better than many of us expected. That is certainly something to be pleased about. But that doesn't get you respect in your league (especially a top notch one like ours) or get you recruits. All that matters is winning, nothing else, and while our FB team is certainly ahead - at least for this year - of almost all of our other sports in that regard (the majority of which are mediocre and many of which are absolutely abysmal), lauding a team and coach that has yet to beat a ranked team and that has beaten a total of two FBS teams with winning records in the last three years is a bit premature.
And for too Moz....

Now, please don't let this get out but I have a secret for you, please don't share with anyone else, let's just keep it here.

90% OF FANS DON'T BREAK IT DOWN LIKE WE DO EVERY SINGLE DAY, EVERY SINGLE MOMENT, EVERY SINGLE QTR...THEY SEE THAT RUTGERS WENT 8-5 AND WON THE BOWL GAME CONVINCINGLY. MOST DON'T EVEN REALIZE THAT MICHIGAN HAD A DOWN YEAR BUT MY GOD, THAT RUTGERS TEAM BEAT THEM!

Anyway, please keep that here. I don't want to scare my sources away...

Originally posted by CuredbywinningRU:
And? If we arent worth of the Big Ten, then what about the 8 other teams that were worse than us - all of whom had P5 backing for the past century or so?

We were middle of the pack, the definition of Big Ten level.

Take your complaints elsewhere. We have plenty of other sports for you to malign and Im sure football itself will give you chances to rip it in the future.

Stop with the earned respect stuff. So if we arent top 25 in our first year then we arent worthy of respect. Good greif. You dont have to jump so quickly to fellate every half ass writer who says we blow.

Reactions: RuRoman
bottom line we don't suck in football and can put together an event like RU vs. Penn State and Michigan. Those two games earned us another two night games on the BTN in the sport that makes the real money.

I agree we need to do better in the other sports with all the talent that is in this state. Time and money can get us there
Posted from Rivals Mobile

In the Service I recall an expression that is appropriate for use in response to that crap.'"F**K 'EM AND FEED 'EM BEANS!!! "

we did bad to ok to pretty damn good all things considered. Remember we are not coming from a Power 5 conference like Maryland and we have few resources.

That will change overtime and we get used to the Big Ten grind and people around here start to get a better understanding of what is needed to win in the Big Ten. Most importantly, once we are fully vested you will see even greater and faster changes.

20 years from now we will look back at Rutgers today the way we look back at Rutgers during the time when we joined the Big East.

We the market, fans, talent around here, there is just no way in heck we will stay as a doormat.

We can easily be a top 5-6 team in the conference for football, wrestling, WBB and other sports as well.

well, maybe not in MBB and VB...
tired.r191677.gif
but if those mythical upgrades finally happens, then who knows, right?

what scarlet said. 8 wins in football, wrestling ranked top 25 most of the year, women's soccer and women's basketball both NCAA tourney bids, women's softball doing well. the men's sports need to pick it up as far as baseball, lacrosse, mens hoops and men's soccer. but overall, year 1, we are what i expected to be which is a middle of the pack big ten team in certain areas.

$$$$$ MONEY $$$$$

The teams with the money win in this league and everywhere else.

Rutgers has no history of big money for sports as well as no history of the corruption of money in sports... something all the "winning" programs seem to have in spades.

So, to all the Rutgers critics.. give us the Big ten money for 10-20 years and then lets see how we spend it and if we get wins out of it. It is beyond stupid to demand winning now when we have no advantages that the Big Ten, for decades, has given all the other Big Ten programs save Maryland and Nebraska... two schools that had been dedicated big money to big time sports for a long time.

Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread - any jerk can have a website. I think it's similar to how some journalists like to take a negative angle just to try and get attention or differentiate themselves. Saying Rutgers isn't a good addition is extremely short-sighted. If RU is a bad addition, then half the conference is dead weight (which I don't believe).

Originally posted by kapyoche:

Was there any mention of how many of these students from Rutgers actually get their degrees?

These are student-athletes.

OSU is a one classless university. They are getting just as bad as Penn State.

Well less of them get them then at Rutgers then at Ohio State. Rutgers four year federal grad rate for student athletes is 70% and GSR is 86%. While Ohio State it is 75% and GSR is 89%.

Originally posted by PSU_Nut:
Originally posted by kapyoche:

Was there any mention of how many of these students from Rutgers actually get their degrees?

These are student-athletes.

OSU is a one classless university. They are getting just as bad as Penn State.

Well less of them get them then at Rutgers then at Ohio State. Rutgers four year federal grad rate for student athletes is 70% and GSR is 86%. While Ohio State it is 75% and GSR is 89%.
Is that from 2004 to2007?
That's what I got in a quick search found RU, but didn't see Ohio state listed .
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/division-i-graduation-success-rates-search

Edit: found this article > The Bootleg's 2014 Graduation Rate Analysis<
http://stanford.scout.com/story/1399111-the-bootleg-s-2014-graduation-rate-analysis

This post was edited on 4/20 7:29 PM by MADHAT1

Originally posted by ElmiraExpress:

In a 14 team league, the only football teams with fewer 2014 Big 10 football wins were Penn State, Indiana and Purdue. Rutgers did fine this year in football compared to expectations, but you can not expect other Big 10 fans to be impressed with 3-5, particularly when 3 of the losses were blow-outs. The blog writer is just expressing the opinion of most B10 fans
You could also point out that Rutgers was the only Big Ten
team to go 2-0 in games vs. out of conference Power 5 opponents.
Or that the Big Ten started the season 1-10 in those games and the only win belonged to the Scarlet Knights

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
It's a blog. Who the F cares.

We don't need to care, repost and get angry about every non news article online. Get a thicker skin and stop searching for negativity!
Agree with WhiteBus here. I generally get a chuckle out of these types of articles. My favorite is when Cuse fans and others say that RU was simply a cable box play to get chosen for the B1G conference.

No need to be thin skinned about conference affiliation, especially when we are in the Club. The future looks bright. Why fret about the past and present in non revenue sports ? It matters Nada to those in the know.

Here, I can write also:

the following quote is from today's cRURAH's Blog -

"Rutgers is the best thing to ever happen to the BiG. The conference is humbled by Rutgers' finally accepting the invitation for membership after many years of recruiting the institution that co-invented the game of American football. The BiG is awed by the University's athletic achievements that date back almost 250 years. RU's rich athletic history and rise to prominence brings a whole new golden luster to the perception of the BiG 10 conference throughout the world. Through the inclusion of Rutgers, the BiG has not only enhanced its prestige, but also added the largest financial and media markets in the world to it's footprint bringing even greater prosperity to its' brethren institutions."

Seriously who gives a damn what Ohio State or any other Big Ten fans think. They never had any input into whether we got into the Big Ten, and they have absolutely no say in how successful we will be. Enough already. They are another fanbase just like Syracuse or Pitt, or UConn. They are not any great judge of sporting greatness or predictors of the future. Stop looking for a pat on the back from them. Just beat them. And when we do, they'll like us even less. Perfect.

This post was edited on 4/20 9:01 PM by graystork

Seriously who gives a damn what Ohio State or any other Big Ten fans think.

First of all, it's called a writer/blogger having nothing to write about so they try to make up,something they hope will create some kind of controversy or reaction.

Regarding OSU fans, I really don't see anyone here or anywhere else saying anything negative about Rutgers. We reserve most of outr negative comments about Michigan, Penn State, and an occasional SEC team. And even those don't contain the same degree of venom that the Buckeyes get from those and most Big 10 fans.

Sorry graystork, didn't mean to make it look like you were saying my statement. I was only trying to quote the first sentence in my post. The rest are my words. Still trying to figure out this new format.

I know that there is a reflex reaction when someone says something about OSU's performance on the football field to paint the picture where a football factory exists in which no one goes to school and players don't graduate. But the facts are never actually mentioned.

In the most recent rates listed on the internet, for those entering school 2004-2007, OSU was tied for fourth in the Big 10 with a 78% graduation rate. For the same period Rutgers was at 83% which would have been fourth and pushing OSU to a tie for fifth.

Looking at APR rankings which takes into account players who go pro early, OSU had a 972 which was 5th in the conference. That was 10 points down from the previous year where they were ranked 3rd. Despite the drop OSU still ranked 17th among Power 5 schools and 26th among all FBS programs. While I wouldn't consider those numbers elite, they are better than average and no where near the picture often painted.

I also like the references to Clarett and Katzenmoyer. Examples from 12 and 17 years ago. Clarett was a very good football player and from multiple accounts was very intelligent. He also has documented mental issues. There are several reasons why he was suspended from the team and never returned.

Katzenmoyer got a lot of highly publicized grief. He was never ineligible. He was a true freshman who found himself starting on a National Championship contender. That's a huge life adjustment that he admits he ended up making school secondary. After the school year his grades made him eligible but on the border. So he took Golf and Aids Awareness as electives- worth 1 credit hour each over the Summer, the Summer, let me say one more time, the Summer; to give himself a margin of error going into the next school year.

To me that was the responsible thing to do. He was proactive and no grades were fixed. He never was ineligible and he did eventually graduate after his NFL days. But a good trash up,story is much more fun to expand upon.

Look, to most B1G folks not privy to the seeing the extra zeros on the checks due to our addition (and who don't necessarily care about such things), RU probably looks like a bad choice. On the field of play, we are bad for the most part. Thank goodness we started the most important sport on decent footing. Props to Flood & co. for that.

Like may have pointed out though, we are the only school in the B1G that came from rinky-dink beginnings. There is a lot of catching up to do.

Hopefully, whoever is in charge will put the additional revenue to good use and change the athletic ineptitude. That the money will be wasted/pocketed is my greatest fear though and why I am very wary of current leadership.

Mich, won ......26-24
Indy, won....43-23
Maryland, won..41-38

What did you watch? I watched a full season of 13 games. I thought I remembered coming away with more victories than losses. If we are so horrible what about MD? We beat them on the road. We beat B1G ten legacy Michigan. We beat inferior Indiana and crushed them. We had a great game against PSU can't win em all. We mopped the floor w UNC to set the B1G bowl season rolling.

Yeah we lost to f'n the national champ on the road, 2 prime bowl teams, 1 on the road and had probably the hardest schedule in the whole big ten.

The blogger acts like we are crying and reeling from a horrible football season. It was a winning football season. We got crushed by some of the best teams in the nation. We also beat big ten teams who weren't ridiculed in this article and beat all OOC opponents. Either way we did not have a bad football season.

As an Iowa fan I say you should ignore this arse. RU has been a good addition in fb, and for TV sets and recruiting.
All we can ask in year 1.
In the two main sports there is one standard for excellence....make a bowl in fb, and make the Dance in bb.

Only 5 schools achieved that in both main sports:
OSU,MSU,Wis.Maryland, and Iowa. The rest are not much better than RU this year as programs.

Reactions: CNJKnight
Some people do hate the recent expansion, if only because it ruins tradition. They don't care about the money, they care that their team might not see a traditional rival for several years because Rutgers or Maryland is on the schedule every year now. When expansion happens, some B1G fans may hate it, but at least want it to be a big splash. Penn State was a big splash. Nebraska was a big splash. Maryland was only a big splash in basketball and Olympic sports, so some hated that. Rutgers wasn't a big splash in anything, so even more people hated that.

Not saying I agree with them, but that is the reason why many fans who hate the expansion do in fact hate it.

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
Rutgers will make their big splash when the new TV contracts are announced.
:cool:
I wonder if this is true. Obviously we are pretty money for the BTN. But for the national contract I think its a little less clear how much impact we can have. It would probably help alot if we could find a way to be a top 25 level team (i.e. a team that actually gets on primetime TV, or at least non-BTN TV now and again).

We are in the biggest TV Market (by a lot) and we get the biggest ratings in this market. So, it helps a lot, of course it would help even more if we were a top 25 team as well. But, that is what OSU is for.

Rutgers will make their big splash when the new TV contracts are announced.
:cool:

Isn't that reason why Rutgers' spring game is on Friday night (prime time), when everyone else was Saturday afternoon. The B1G and the B1G Network want the rest of the B1G fans to realize what Rutgers has to offer to the league and the impact they will have on the new TV contracts. Everyone was starting to close in on the B1G money wise, but this new deal should clearly separate the B1G from everyone else again.

I personally enjoy rutgers in the big ten. I like to travel to watch conference games and have been to rutgers three times since you guys joined for wrestling football and basketball. Beats the hell out driving to Minnesota Nebraska or Wisconsin.

The blog didn't say anything out of line. Facts are facts and most of our sports are terrible.

Reactions: mikefla
The B10 has 28 sports. They have championships in all 28 PLUS bowling. The B10 loves its sports and loves its championships. They dont care who won ONE event in track they care about who won the championship. Thank God for the women because we were only competitive in 2 sports...womens soccer and womens basketball(we took a 4th in each). We dont even field a team in hockey, mens tennis or mens swimming and we failed to win so much as ONE game in lacrosse and several other sports and were dead last in basketball.

We ended pretty well in football which is KING in the B10 but we have a LONG way to go to be worthy foes in the B10 in sport across the board.

I hope that changes.....and i think it will.....................

ADVERTISEMENT