ADVERTISEMENT

OT: An Informal Poll

Aug 29, 2014
Hey all-

I was kicking around the idea of starting up a new sports writing website/blog/something and wanted opinions from the general public on here about one thing:

When browsing the web for sports info, scores, etc, is there anything you think is missing? I am trying to narrow down and find a singular focus, so any help on what you guys think may be an underdeveloped area would be splendid.

Don't make it too broad. Focus on people of your generation. Fast paced. Quick hits. A good opinion is always valued.

Whatever you focus on make sure it is deep enough where you can provide A LOT of content. There's a reason why reddit and buzzfeed and deadspin and huffington and gawker are successful, because they're pumping out content constantly (I know reddit is different because it's user generated, but the point is still there that it's always something new to look at).

I like Bleacher Report because they have lots of lists and give opinion. So, more sports lists (creative ones) and more opinions. The one thing I like about ESPN are the chats - so try those. I think it would cool to have your best betting plays of the day - start each month with $1000 and see what you end up and end of month. And have a couple of different guys to play against each month. Kind of like Hondo in the NY Post.

I agree with Lists . Also the British tabloids seem to have success with TMZ type sports news along with pics of scantily clad babes. So there's that, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT