ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another team releases plans for $30 Million 63,000 sq ft practice facility (non-P5)

Knight_Light

Legend
May 29, 2001
Memphis just filed permits for their new $30 Million 63,000 sq ft practice facility that should be completed over next 18 months.

1434383135.png

1434382969.png

1434382986.png

basketballpractice.png

1434382931.jpg

It had a great start , funding wise, when Sam Walton's Son-In-Law donated $10 million in 2013 towards building that facility.

Knight_Light

As an UCF fan why do you spend so much time here? I've never read a positive or support post from you. It's always a post talking about Rutgers shortcoming either about its facilities, history or lack of support as compared to others. Why?

It had a great start , funding wise, when Sam Walton's Son-In-Law donated $10 million in 2013 towards building that facility.

Didn't hurt that Paul and Nancy Laurie are both graduates of then Memphis State Univ too and are giving back to their school.

Memphis has been busy planning for the future as they just broke ground on their new 74,000 sq Football Complex which will include their first ever 120 yd indoor practice facility (which took 4 years from studies to approval to campaign fundraising, etc...).

Last edited:
and the point of this thread is what? Rutgers is a P5 program in name only. Memphis is one of the top non P5 basketball programs around and historically a periennial national top 25 program.

and the point of this thread is what? Rutgers is a P5 program in name only. Memphis is one of the top non P5 basketball programs around and historically a periennial national top 25 program.

It's an OT thread that shows that some teams, even without BCS/P5 $$ are able to plan (sometimes takes 3-4 years, like this one), to get projects like this started and/or completed.

Those that have a lot more $$$ from BCS/P5 conf have already built facilities like this and/or are planning to do so (something which is slowly starting to happen for RU Hoops).

Just like this Memphis project, many are able to tap into alumni/sponsorship levels to get the projects kickstarted, while others (like Houston), use generally Athletic Funds (much smaller than RU) to get their projects completed.

It's an OT thread that shows that some teams, even without BCS/P5 $$ are able to plan (sometimes takes 3-4 years, like this one), to get projects like this started and/or completed.

Those that have a lot more $$$ from BCS/P5 conf have already built facilities like this and/or are planning to do so (something which is slowly starting to happen for RU Hoops).

Just like this Memphis project, many are able to tap into alumni/sponsorship levels to get the projects kickstarted, while others (like Houston), use generally Athletic Funds (much smaller than RU) to get their projects completed.

What you just posted makes this (cubuffsdoug's question ) :
>"Knight_Light

As an UCF fan why do you spend so much time here? I've never read a positive or support post from you. It's always a post talking about Rutgers shortcoming either about its facilities, history or lack of support as compared to others. Why?"<

something I'm interested in seeing answered.

something I'm interested in seeing answered.

Answered multiple questions like that a dozen times over the years(multiple times from the person on ignore this thread.....plus, its pretty obvious either you and/or that other poster do not read all posts.

Answered multiple questions like that a dozen times over the years(multiple times from the person on ignore this thread.....plus, its pretty obvious either you and/or that other poster do not read all posts.

Sorry. I really don't read every post on this board. It seems like I spend too much time here already, and I can't imagine how much extra time I would need to spend here in order to read every post.

It is also possible that I read your response at some time in the past, and just don't remember.

Maybe instead of typing that you already answered the question, you could just answer it again.

Thanks.

Back to topic of this thread...took Memphis almost 3-4 years to plan and raise funds for this project and their indoor football practice facility.

Good news for RU is that for the first time in their history...there is at least some discussion at higher levels at improving both the lack of basketball training facility and for the RAC itself.

+ FedEx $

I haven't done any research to see if Memphis' FedEx connection yielded any contributions to this project, but I do find it interesting that fans always assume schools' most notable donors play a part in everything that happens. Projects at Oregon aren't always Nike. Projects at Maryland aren't always Under Armour. I would imagine not all projects at Memphis involve FedEx.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Back to topic of this thread...took Memphis almost 3-4 years to plan and raise funds for this project and their indoor football practice facility.

Good news for RU is that for the first time in their history...there is at least some discussion at higher levels at improving both the lack of basketball training facility and for the RAC itself.

Seems like you don't know Rutgers already released the details , so it's gone beyond " .there is at least some discussion at higher levels at improving both the lack of basketball training facility and for the RAC itself."
New Facility for Rutgers
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSJUNE 19, 2015

Rutgers University's board has approved a plan to build a multiuse men’s and women’s basketball facility and give the university’s football team exclusive use of a refurbished Hale Center. With Rutgers entering its second year in the Big Ten, upgrades to the facilities have become a priority to compete in a major conference.

I think you're using old material to get out of answering the question you refuse to answer and your putting in what has been discussed before on this MBB board is not showing me that cubuffsdoug didn't ask a valid question.

"Back to topic of this thread" doesn't mean you can ignore that question, without SN members wondering why you don't.
Claiming you posted answer before or implying you have posted positive thoughts about RU MBB doesn't excuse you from answering , if you want to be considered someone without an agenda !

Last edited:
I haven't done any research to see if Memphis' FedEx connection yielded any contributions to this project, but I do find it interesting that fans always assume schools' most notable donors play a part in everything that happens. Projects at Oregon aren't always Nike. Projects at Maryland aren't always Under Armour. I would imagine not all projects at Memphis involve FedEx.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...buy-its-way-into-a-BCS-confe?urn=ncaab,247910

Based on the link provided, I would assume that FedEx is Memphis's Nike or UnderArmour for $$$ purposes.

What surprises me is how much they can build for $30 million. Well, not really surprises me, but annoys me. We could never build the Memphis facility at Rutgers for that amount. More like double.

In this thread I record 1 point for each of the following:

cuffsbuffdog for asking a legit question

bac2therac for pointing out the obvious...Memphis IS a P5 when it comes to BB

MADHAT1 for the bump of a legit question and also providing some good info about RUTGERS on a RUTGERS message board

And 2 points are awarded to Upstream for the civility in his post while trying to get the answer to the question

This post is a lot like the rich kid showing up at school with the new Nike's, and latest fashions, shouting look at me look at me. I liken Rutgers to the other football players who can't wait till the boy gets on the grass so they can Nike his ass into the ground. Just saying....

Reactions: winRU
This post is a lot like the rich kid ....

But the point of this thread (and others posted over the last few years by others and myself) shows that a school doesn't have to be a "rich kid" to plan, design, raise funds for basketball (or football) practice facilities.

I still remember one of the first threads 1-2 years ago when many on this board had no clue what a basketball practice facility was and/or only the Top 10-20 teams had them...and once they were educated on this subject, many became loud cheerleaders stating how RU should have adequate (not even great) facilities to compete...especially after seeing "lesser" programs (others beside Memphis) were able to raise funds and plan/build new facilities for their "lesser" teams.

But the point of this thread (and others posted over the last few years by others and myself) shows that a school doesn't have to be a "rich kid" to plan, design, raise funds for basketball (or football) practice facilities.

I still remember one of the first threads 1-2 years ago when many on this board and/or only the Top 10-20 teams had them...and once they were educated on this subject, many became loud cheerleaders stating how RU should have adequate (not even great) facilities to compete...especially after seeing "lesser" programs (others beside Memphis) were able to raise funds and plan/build new facilities for their "lesser" teams.

Very nice and I'm sure there are college basketball fans of every school that haven't a clue of what role a basketball practice facility plays in helping their school's BB team improve and that practice facilities are not always at the same place the home games are played
So I would guess. that the RU fans , you claimed , were educated on that subject are just like other school's fans that learned about basketball practice facilities from those who went on their board , or a member or two of that board, and explained just how much a properly set up practice facility can help their school's basketball programs.

But unless you're claiming you are on this board to educate RU fans on practice facilities, please answer cubuffsdoug's question :
>"As an UCF fan why do you spend so much time here?"<
Seems like you are avoiding answering that simple question and saying you answered it before , doesn't mean everyone who is reading the posts in this thread has seen it.
Please clear up this why post issue so we can get back to comparing the future RU BB practice facility with the ones you so graciously continue to inform us of, every-time a new one is being built or approval of building it is given.
As you know RU is planning to build one

Rutgers Unveils Master Plan For Facility Upgrades, Including Basketball Practice Venue - SportsBusiness Daily
AD61C704B4564C1FB4A441BA13294804.ashx

>Rutgers AD Julie Hermann will "meet with a group of major athletics donors on June 29 to discuss the plans." That meeting "will be a starting point to determine how much can be reasonably accomplished and when." Hermann said that it "didn't make sense to make upgrades solely for football or basketball because the entire athletic department needs help to compete in the Big Ten."<
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/06/19/Facilities/Rutgers.aspx

I don't really care about his motivation for posting, because his message is important. Our basketball facility is vapor ware until it is fully funded, and it sure ain't gonna fund itself. While we're dawdling, other programs, even in lesser conferences are leaving us in the dust. There's no reason why programs like Villanova and Memphis can fully fund their practice facilities via private donations and we can't. Actually, our fanbase can, they just choose not to because they'd rather spend their money on other things. Sure it would be nice for an angel to step up, but it looks like to me well all be dead before that happens.

People have to step up to the plate. $6000 x 5000 fans gets this done. 1500/year over 5 years.

I am NOT trying to make this a unions are bad question,but what would happen if Rutgers sat down with a handful of construction companies and unions and said "look, we have $30 million to spend,this is what they built in Tennessee,Florida,Georgia,etc. for that amount. If you are willing to build the same project for the same amount,we will sign the contracts tomorrow. If not, we are hiring the XYZ Company from Nashville and they will take the money, bring their own workers, and we will house and feed them at some local hotel that will give us a great rate while we throw them some Free advertising" ?

I am NOT trying to make this a unions are bad question,but what would happen if Rutgers sat down with a handful of construction companies and unions and said "look, we have $30 million to spend,this is what they built in Tennessee,Florida,Georgia,etc. for that amount. If you are willing to build the same project for the same amount,we will sign the contracts tomorrow. If not, we are hiring the XYZ Company from Nashville and they will take the money, bring their own workers, and we will house and feed them at some local hotel that will give us a great rate while we throw them some Free advertising" ?

The "Rat" would make an appearance. But to try and answer your question, we could save at least 30% if not union. It still boggles my mind that the 10k seats in the endzone and the Audi club cost 110 mill to Build. This just makes Rutgers trying to catch up in the Athletics infrastructure Race that much more difficult.

The hope is to get shovels in the ground in early '16. Keith Seargent has an article this morning.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...buy-its-way-into-a-BCS-confe?urn=ncaab,247910

Based on the link provided, I would assume that FedEx is Memphis's Nike or UnderArmour for $$$ purposes.

My only point is that the presumption about schools with high profile corporate donors like Oregon, Maryland, and Memphis shouldn't be that those corporate donors are involved in every athletic project that happens.

I'll admit that I don't know Memphis or Oregon intimately, but I do know Maryland. Kevin Plank/Under Armour is literally all over the announced Terrapin Performance Center football facility. You'll have to walk through a UA logo to get into one of the entrances. But there are projects like the planned soccer stadium (shame that a program that's won multiple national championships and made 7 Final Fours in the last 15 years plays in the "stadium" Maryland currently does), the planned baseball stadium upgrades, and the planned basketball practice facility are being moved forward because of significant pledges by donors who aren't billionaires like Plank is but still move the needle w/r/t those specific projects.

I can't imagine that the same doesn't hold true at others schools.

David Stern Practice Center at Rutgers University. Lets Go Julie, get him on board!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT