ADVERTISEMENT

OT: anyone attending Belmont Stakes?

sharmoota

Junior
Aug 27, 2009
Any of you planning on going this Saturday?

Has anyone attended this event before? What's it like? What should I expect if I go?
I've heard horror stories, but want to hear from the board members who have gone in the past...

Any of you planning on going this Saturday?

Has anyone attended this event before? What's it like? What should I expect if I go?
I've heard horror stories, but want to hear from the board members who have gone in the past...

You'll have no problem with crowds this Saturday. The race is next Saturday, June 6. NYRA is going to limit the crowd to 90,000. So it will be a lot more comfortable than it in the recent past when a TC was on the line but you'll need a ticket in advance.

Simply if you don't have seats don't go.
I'm going the Wednesday before to be able to buy Pharaoh items and be able to bring my beer into the track.
Without seats watch at your favorite bar or at home

Cmon white bus you gotta be there...

Went for bafferts last 2 near misses, circa 97-98. Yes it was pretty crowded but manageable and very exciting. A challenge to get out but what major sporting event isn't ?

Now that they limit attendance, I'd get advance Tix, roll in at 3pm, soak up the crowd and hope for history.

Cmon white bus you gotta be there...

Went for bafferts last 2 near misses, circa 97-98. Yes it was pretty crowded but manageable and very exciting. A challenge to get out but what major sporting event isn't ?

Now that they limit attendance, I'd get advance Tix, roll in at 3pm, soak up the crowd and hope for history.
I understand the excitement for this race but so many changes over the past years I have to pass for many reasons.

Tickets have been sold out for months. Standing room only. I've done that on a few occasions and it fine up until 40 mins before the race and than it a fight just to keep the inches you occupy.
It's a great place if you have seats. A great racetrack on a normal day but not worth it to me to go and battle the crowd too be there in person when I can see the race much better on TV.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Went to see Big Brown and the crowd was horrendous. My son wants to go again, and since I am officially retired now, might as well go,lol.

My son & some of his friends went last year, had a blast until it was time to leave, over 3 1/2 hours waiting on a line to board a train....he will never go again!!!

In 1986 I went to see Alysheba's unsuccessful Triple crown bid.Crowds were insane. We parked in the back of the place and had to sit for about 90 minutes after the races were over. At that time, a bunch of guys literally knocked the fence down and thousands of cars exited through some guys lawn then down his driveway to get out of the place. It was a hysterical to see some old guy in a wife beater and his wife with her apron watching all these cars ript their lawn and flowers up as we exited the place.

Capping the crowd at 90,000 will help. Also, the Goo Goo Dolls are performing after the race card is finished. You won't have much trouble exiting the venue if you hang around for the music because only roughly 15,000 will remain to see the band.

I wonder what the cross section or horse racing and goo goo dolls fans really is. 15,000 seems a little high.

I was able to get good seats, between the 8th and 16th poll. I've been to 12 Belmont's in my life, the last 5 consecutively. We have a tradition where we get there at 11am and toast the day with a mimosa or two while eating a small feta cheese and black olive sandwich. We absolutely love the excitement, especially when there is a Triple Crown hopeful. I enjoy all three races and have the utmost respect for Churchill Downs and Pimlico, but in my humble opinion Belmont creates an more serious atmosphere. When they show Secretariat blasting down that stretch, Seattle Slew's wire to wire win, and the stretch run between Affirmed and Alydar the crowd goes nuts. I love it!

In 1986 I went to see Alysheba's unsuccessful Triple crown bid.Crowds were insane. We parked in the back of the place and had to sit for about 90 minutes after the races were over. At that time, a bunch of guys literally knocked the fence down and thousands of cars exited through some guys lawn then down his driveway to get out of the place. It was a hysterical to see some old guy in a wife beater and his wife with her apron watching all these cars ript their lawn and flowers up as we exited the place.
Hey I was there too!! But it was 1987.

I was lucky enough to buy 2 seats on the 3rd level about 40yds from the finish. Been to 5 other Triple Crown misses. I really think AP will get it done. Hope so especially since the Preakness might get moved. They will cap the crowd at 90K so consider paying for a ticket. Expect restrooms and vendors to be overwhelmed. Travel will be rough. PS will the Goo Goo Dolls definitely be after the racing?

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to buy 2 seats on the 3rd level about 40yds from the finish. Been to 5 other Triple Crown misses. I really think AP will get it done. Hope so especially since the Preakness might get moved. They will cap the crowd at 90K so consider paying for a ticket. Expect restrooms and vendors to be overwhelmed. Travel will be rough. PS will the Goo Goo Dolls definitely be after the racing?
Nice get Jumba! Bring your own food and scope out the rest rooms on the 2nd level right below your seats. Bigger and shouldn't have lines. Travel always sucks leaving just pack your patiences. If Pharaoh gets it done you ride will be well worth it!
Can't call American Pharaoh "AP" however because of a former Belmont Stakes AP Indy. ;)

PS will the Goo Goo Dolls definitely be after the racing?

Yes.

http://www.belmontstakes.com/story/...-for-the-2015-belmont-stakes-racing-festival/

The GOO GOO DOLLS will perform a short set between the Grade 1 Manhattan and the Grade 1 Belmont Stakes. Following the completion of Saturday’s race card, the GOO GOO DOLLS will also lead a special concert near the winner’s circle featuring many of their top hits, providing another reason for guests to stay and enjoy.

Haven't been since 91, saw both Alysheba and Sunday Silence lose among the seven I saw. Reserved seats are the ONLY way to go. I've been to Belmonts where the crowd was probably below 90G and it was still a joke. My dad made all his bets for the card at one trip to window early in the day.

I wouldn't go near the place w/o reservations unless watching the race is secondary. If you just want to party and say you were there then you may as well

I went to the Derby this year, which was a bucket list item and an awesome time. We had great seats in a box right along the home stretch. My friends are busting my chops that I flew all the way to Louisville to go to the Derby, and I won't go out to Long Island to watch the Belmont live and see 2 legs of the potential triple crown in person.

I'd rather just watch on TV and really hope American Pharoah can pull it off so I can say I was at the Derby when the Tripe Crown winner won it.

I went to the Derby this year, which was a bucket list item and an awesome time. We had great seats in a box right along the home stretch. My friends are busting my chops that I flew all the way to Louisville to go to the Derby, and I won't go out to Long Island to watch the Belmont live and see 2 legs of the potential triple crown in person.

I'd rather just watch on TV and really hope American Pharoah can pull it off so I can say I was at the Derby when the Tripe Crown winner won it.
The Derby remains on my bucket list. One of these years...

The Derby remains on my bucket list. One of these years...
Made over 10 straight trips. But like Yogi said "nobody goes there anymore it's too crowded"
As stated above. Don't attempt without seats to any of the Triple Crown events

I went to the Preakness 5 years ago. The infield reminded me of Rutgersfest on steroids... minus the fights and shootings.

I can never make a Belmont, I'm always busy that weekend.

I wonder what the cross section or horse racing and goo goo dolls fans really is. 15,000 seems a little high.

Probably 2/3 at the concert/hanging out late at track just don't want to sit in traffic or wait 2 plus hours for trains.

Smart.

PS. While its hard to beat the Friday card at Churchill before Derby, even Friday at Pimlico before Preakness or this Friday at Belmont, its a good time to go and have a good chance at pretty good seats, plus, lay your bet for Saturday's race...all without fighting the big crowds (even though the Kentucky Oaks crowds are huge (123,786 record crowd this year for the Friday card at Churchill Downs which includes Kentucky Oaks).

American Pharoah had an eye popping work yesterday. Breezing 5 furlongs in 1:00.2

The backstretch at Churchill was a buzz all morning on how easily he ran and how good he looked physically.

The barns at America's great race tracks are some of the most cynical areas in sports but yesterday some are beginning to believe.

My seats for Friday are up for grabs. Includes a performance by O.A.R. Must pick up tix in Jersey City around lunch time tomorrow or thurs.
TmcI72@gmail.com If you email me also post a heads up here

American Pharoah had an eye popping work yesterday. Breezing 5 furlongs in 1:00.2

The backstretch at Churchill was a buzz all morning on how easily he ran and how good he looked physically.

The barns at America's great race tracks are some of the most cynical areas in sports but yesterday some are beginning to believe.

I watched some of those workouts on Youtube and he does look great. He has a beautiful flawless stride, he looks like he can run forever. If Victor Espinosa rides the right race American Pharoah is going to look like Secretariat. There are many deserving trainers out there, but Bob Baffert deserves a Triple Crown, especially after watching Real Quiet and Silver Charm get screwed . Side notes: Frosted workouts looked dammed good. Even though Frammento should not have a snowballs chance in hell in winning this race I remember Zito and Birdstone in 2004. Man did I want Smarty Jones to win that race.

American Pharoah drew post 5 in an 8 horse field. With the Belmont post position means nothing. However he did draw inside his main rival Frosted which is good.

And some history here Seattle Slew wore #5 to win in 1977

ADVERTISEMENT