ADVERTISEMENT

OT Anyone been to Iceland

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
Wife is looking to do a trip want to see the sights.

What did you do any recommendations?

Left one year ago today for a short trip (4 nights on the ground). Couldn't recommend it enough.

We packed a ton in. Stayed 3 nights in Reykjavik and then did a 1 night guided group tour to the South Coast and Glacier Lagoon with Extreme Iceland. Could not recommend that tour enough. Seems pricey but it includes lodging, a glacier walk, guided hikes, etc. Was worth it just not to have to drive 4 hours each way on vacation. The trek to Jokusarlon (Glacier Lagoon) was well worth it.

On top of that did the standard tourist trek of the Golden Circle (couple waterfalls, continental divide, geothermal powerplant), horseback riding, caving in lava tubes and the blue lagoon (geothermal hot spring).

Hope that helps. Let me know if need anything else.

Reactions: Ruthinking
Definitely a great getaway. My wife always talks about going back and there are not all that many places she says that about, and we have done a lot of traveling.

How much time do you have and what season would you be going. Surprisingly, Iceland has a lot of winter tourism, for people wanting to see the Northern Lights. I might try that next year. But I did go many years back and did a 12 day mostly camping trip through the interior which was spectacular. It was a July-August trip and it was daylight 23 hours per day. There are companies that do these tours and provide all the equipment. They use specially designed Mercedes Benz buses that can go through streams as there are no bridges in the interior. It was a unique experience. Iceland's appeal is in its physical geography, but the human story is interesting as well.

Here are a few links that will hopefully be permitted onto this new board.

http://iceland.nordicvisitor.com/travel-deals/winter-self-drive-tours/

http://nordicsaga.com/northern-lights-exploration-tour

http://nordicsaga.com/winter-northern-lights-photography

Oh well. They didn't copy as links but the urls are there so you can check out those sites.

Have fun.

Reactions: Raritan83
I went for a bachelor party two years ago so not quite going with your wife, but here are some recommendations.

- Go to the Blue Lagoon for a thermal spring, its a very unique experience.

- Do the brewery tour, I think there is only one, excellent beer there.

- Eat a hot dog from the famous hot dog place

- Try puffin and whale

- Do the free walking tour

- Pre arrange transportation from the airport, it is very far from Reykjavik

- Nightlife starts late, it's all on the same street whose name I forget.

Maybe you know this, but Icelandair offers a free layover in Reykjavik...this means that you can fly from JFK to Reykjavik for a few days and onto Europe at no extra charge, and back to the US. Well worth it to combine with a European city.

Iceland is awesome. There are some good suggestions here. Combining with something else (e.g., Stockholm) wouldn't be a bad move.

Agree with others here.

I went on a horse riding trip a few years ago, it was awesome. Remember to roll the reins to get your horse to tolt. The countryside was stark and amazing and weird and beautiful.

Reykjavik was a real fun town. I went as a bachelor. Did I mention it was a real fun town? I've been all around the world and I would put Icelandic women on the top of the list - just stunning.

I went for a bachelor party two years ago so not quite going with your wife, but here are some recommendations.

- Go to the Blue Lagoon for a thermal spring, its a very unique experience.

- Do the brewery tour, I think there is only one, excellent beer there.

- Eat a hot dog from the famous hot dog place

- Try puffin and whale

- Do the free walking tour

- Pre arrange transportation from the airport, it is very far from Reykjavik

- Nightlife starts late, it's all on the same street whose name I forget.

Maybe you know this, but Icelandair offers a free layover in Reykjavik...this means that you can fly from JFK to Reykjavik for a few days and onto Europe at no extra charge, and back to the US. Well worth it to combine with a European city.

Ive been to Iceland and I cant improve on the above info. I fly Icelandair when I can and have utilized the free layover. I also like that Icelandic is part of the Schengen program that checks your passport and luggage so that once you hit Europe you can hit the ground running.

One caveat...be aware Iceland is SUPER expensive ! But the dollar is strong now and its the time to go !!!

ENJOY !

A vodka ginger ale was the equivalent of like $15 or so...it is very pricey to drink, Blue Lagoon will seem pricey but it is worth it.

Reactions: mikefla
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT