ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Anyone going to have a back yard fireworks display?

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
Some people put on quite the display. I like seeing them if I happen to be on the road at the time.

backyard stuff always seems a bit underwhelming - and mildly scary when the "chief of pyrotechnics" is not exercising the best judgment / or has been over served.
However -
It is really fascinating to be on a plane @ about 9:00 - 10:00 coming in to a major metro area on the 4th - seeing fireworks from above is quite unique!

Boring. Haven't been to one in 10 years. Its the backyard yahoos with their illegal firework that really has me praying for rain.

Some MIT reject burned his house down in Manalapan last night. Shot a mortar into an open window.

I don't mind the annual Darwin contest, really. It's fun to see who wins.

I just hope no vets suffering from PTSD live near the dimwits setting them off in their yards.

However -
It is really fascinating to be on a plane @ about 9:00 - 10:00 coming in to a major metro area on the 4th - seeing fireworks from above is quite unique!

Once had a turbo prop flight from Charlotte to Harrisburg on the 4th of July at that time. Perfect clear night and the entire time you would see little burst of color along the trip. It was a unique experience.

Some MIT reject burned his house down in Manalapan last night. Shot a mortar into an open window.

Not so bad when people burn down their own houses. But last year one of my friends had a tree ignited by a neighbor setting off fireworks.

The 4th has to be my dogs' least favorite holiday. Fireworks stress the hell out of them.

Last edited:

Would be really funny if it really was an MIT graduate!!!!!!!!

backyard stuff always seems a bit underwhelming - and mildly scary when the "chief of pyrotechnics" is not exercising the best judgment / or has been over served.
However -
Its illegal . My neighborhood had a bunch of them. These idiots could be causing fires .

Hey you could have seen Jason-Pierre Pauls show minus a few fingers or The kid up in Maine that shot a mortar off the top of his head and blew his head off literally

Leave it to the professionals usually there is drinking involved in the backyard fireworks displays

The Manalapan fire was electrical issue and the family is basically totally burned out of their home.

Here are a just a few incidents involving fireworks from July 4th

Maine man killed instantly after lighting fireworks mortar off his head:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-32231780

Montana Man killed in fireworks mortar accident
http://www.ktvq.com/story/29476397/billings-man-killed-in-firework-mishap

NJ Man blows off part of his leg in fireworks explosion
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NJ-Man-Blows-Off-Chunk-of-Leg-with-Fireworks-311681901.html

Hey you could have seen Jason-Pierre Pauls show minus a few fingers or The kid up in Maine that shot a mortar off the top of his head and blew his head off literally

Leave it to the professionals usually there is drinking involved in the backyard fireworks displays
usually ?!!? You must go to different types of backyard fireworks displays, than I do

I certainly see drinking involved even in the city fireworks here in Fla...its always at the end of a day when beer has been sold and music groups have sung....almost everyone has a cooler.....

I can speak for my neighbors on the south end of my property ...EVERY night with few exceptions there are 5-10 adult people drinking beer.....has gone on for a decade......

Then theres the nitwits in the distance that were popping them off until 3:30am......

Isn't everything? Of course it is.

Yet every year from mid-June through mid-July, the pond across the street from me becomes ground zero for every local who wants to shoot off fireworks. Considering there are Cranford cops that live within 3 houses of the park, I'm guessing they've been instructed to look the other way. probably to keep the fireworks in an open area instead of people's back yards.

ADVERTISEMENT