ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Avengers 2 Age of Ultron (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Going to see this tonight. I grew up a huge fan of the Avengers in the late 70s gobbling up many of their silver age comics and even earlier to the bronze age. It has been amazing to see these characters brought to live on the big screen in recent years especially since the DC superheroes were always more popular. The inclusion of Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Vision in this movie almost make me want to pass out with excitement since they were my favorites. I just wish I kept my Avengers #57 the first appearance of the Vision in better condition. I got for my birthday when I was 10 as a back issue it cost $7.50 which was expensive back in 79. That book in great condition is worth a lot now. Even with the condition mine is in which is probably a 3 or 4.0 grade is worth over $50

My one complaint and its a big one is that they are changing the origin of Ultron and the ridiculous exclusion of founding members Hank Pym aka Ant Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yelllowjacket and his wife Janet Van Dyne aka the Wasp is bordering on criminal. How on earth could they dispose of these characters like that. This would have been a great story to tell with Pym but now I guess we are going to get Tony Stark with his wise crack. Not a fan of Robert Downeys constant annoying humor as Iron Man as Tony Stark was never like that. Yes I am a fan boy but not sure why they have to deviate from the source material so much

So even with the complaints I am really looking forward to this tonight. I will wear either my new Ultron "Submit or Perish t shirt or my old Avengers t shirt with Captain America standing with the faces of Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. Hoping the movie at least makes reference to her famous tiara

So did anyone see it last night. What were the crowds like and the reaction. This will possibly go onto be the highest grossing movie of all time. NO SPOILERS OR YOU WILL DIE.

Reactions: MikeR0102
I actually disagree on ant man at this stage. I'm glad they are doing on a spear at film on him to introduce him and establish his origin.
He is a tier 2/3 character and the best way to get him out to the masses is through his own movie. Most people don't even know who he is compared to the well known characters.

This will only be the start where they all get together.

they don't know who he is because they excluded him from the Avengers. He was a founding member along with his wife. Black Widow who is a total minor character in the Avengers history was given a front and center role. Hulk was an Avenger for 5 issues and yet they jam in down our throats. The Antman that they are coming out with isn't even Pym, another injustice. He is a great flawed character that they can really delve into but for some reason they don't want to

The proper scenario would be for the Pym Antman and along with his wife the Wasp to be introduced in their movie and end up creating Ultron who wrecks havoc..then the movie picks up in Avengers 2 with Ultron creating The Vision. I am a bit skeptical of how they can introduce Ultron, Vision and the two twins all in one movie properly

Bac... will you bring your avenger figurines and cheer and clap with the action? Just busting chops as I see all those loonies dressed up as characters waiting in line.

One of my favorite Avengers cover of all time. By George Perez who crammed in I think 23 Avengers on the front cover. Perez nailed the artwork, one of the best out there and I find todays modern touch on comic books to be terrible artwork.

728415.jpg

they don't know who he is because they excluded him from the Avengers. He was a founding member along with his wife. Black Widow who is a total minor character in the Avengers history was given a front and center role. Hulk was an Avenger for 5 issues and yet they jam in down our throats. The Antman that they are coming out with isn't even Pym, another injustice. He is a great flawed character that they can really delve into but for some reason they don't want to

The proper scenario would be for the Pym Antman and along with his wife the Wasp to be introduced in their movie and end up creating Ultron who wrecks havoc..then the movie picks up in Avengers 2 with Ultron creating The Vision. I am a bit skeptical of how they can introduce Ultron, Vision and the two twins all in one movie properly
Sounds like you haven't read a comic book in a long time haha I think these movies are more based on the Avengers of the last 20 years rather than the 70s. Black Widow has been a much more important Avenger than Hank Pym for a long time now. As for Ultron I think it only makes more sense for Stark to have created him. Iron Man is an already well established character the audience can connect to easier than if he were someone new. Also Ultron basically looks like an evil version of Iron Man anyways

So you expect someone investing hundreds of millions in a movie, hoping to making hundreds of millions more in profit, to religiously follow story lines written for a niche audience in the 60's and 70's instead of featuring the characters with the most commercial appeal now?

Black widow commercial appeal..lol...as compared to Ant Man and the Wasp lol...and The Hulk has always been a clunky character on the big screen that does not translate well

am i the only one that has super hero movie fatigue?

i just dont care about seeing them anymore.

I don't think I will ever get bored with superheroe movies ever...always will live in from my childhood

The problem with Ant-Man not being in the movies until now comes from the fact that Edgar Wright was supposed to make the film, and it was supposed to come out around the time Iron Man 1 came out, around early 2009 most likely, but then he decided to work on this film and that film and it kept getting pushed back, and eventually he just left the project.

Black widow commercial appeal..lol...as compared to Ant Man and the Wasp lol...and The Hulk has always been a clunky character on the big screen that does not translate well
Did you seriously just "lol" the idea that the Black Widow character, portrayed by Scarlett Johannson, has commercial appeal with the male-majority audience for these comic book movies?

My daughter just sat through a 29 hour movie theater marathon of all the Avenger movies (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Capn America ect) that led up to the first showing of the new one. Eleven movies in all. And yes I think she's nuts lol, but she really enjoyed it.

I actually disagree on ant man at this stage. I'm glad they are doing on a spear at film on him to introduce him and establish his origin.
He is a tier 2/3 character and the best way to get him out to the masses is through his own movie. Most people don't even know who he is compared to the well known characters.

This will only be the start where they all get together.
Not that great pretty boring. Saw it in San Jose yesterday night. Not that special. Weak plot.

I have the issue of time gap from when I read comics vs. my grown kids. I just go with the big screen interpretations and enjoy. What I do like about the Avengers is "Agents of Shield". It is a great show and kinda picks up when the movie ends and bridges the gap till the next one. The last line from Coulson this week was "Time to bring in the Avengers". Nice way to lead into the movie. Coulson is the only crossover between the big and small screen, i think. It would be cool to see some of the TV characters get a role in an Avenger movie.

ADVERTISEMENT