ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Band of Brothers or The Pacific?

T2Kplus10

Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2010
In honor of Memorial Day, which HBO mini-series do you prefer and why - Band of Brothers or The Pacific? BoB is wrapping up a marathon run on HBOSG.

BOB. The Pacific was always going to suffer by comparison. Hard to improve on perfection.

The other reason I was more attached to BOB was all but one relative served in the European theater including my dad.

BOB, easily the best I have ever seen.

Father and Uncle in the Pacific, many Uncles in Europe.

I'm watching Band of Brothers as I type, just too hot out on the deck. They just finished the Siege of Bastogne episode. Channel 308 Cablevision/Optimum

In honor of Memorial Day, which HBO mini-series do you prefer and why - Band of Brothers or The Pacific? BoB is wrapping up a marathon run on HBOSG.

All these guys are certified heroes in my book

That said, BoB is a much better series in my opinion. Way way better...

I agree with everyone above that BoB was superior - better, more cohesive story, etc. The source materials were better for BoB.

But let me throw something out there on behalf of The Pacific. I believe Sledge's story arc (episodes 6, 7, and 9, and 10 to a lesser extent) was probably the high point of either series. Sledge's story of a privileged young man who was emotionally torn apart and effected by war so much was incredibly powerful. And the climax of his story, deciding what to do to that Japanese civilian severed injured in the bombed out house was truly moving.

Thoughts?

In reality both stories follow equal heroic veterans. From a story telling perspective it was easier to follow and thus get emotionally attached to the Band of Brothers characters.

Agree with everyone about BoB. It was just done really well.

It's also ridiculous to see all the stars in that show before they became even bigger stars. Was watching the Marathon and then saw these names pop up.

Obviously theres Damien Lewis that plays the main character in Homeland.

Tom Hardy (Bane, Mad Max, Eames)
played Private John Janovec
5B2o0zA.jpg

Michael Fassbender (Magneto)
played Technical Sergeant Burton Paul
rzuuq1F.jpg

James McEvoy (Professor X)
played Private James W. Miller
Ih53lkC.gif

Colin Hanks (appeared in so many TV Series)
played First Lieutenant Henry Jones
WQP9d48.png

Michael Cudlitz (Abraham Ford)
Sgt. Denver “Bull” Randleman
ebJOoZX.jpg

Jimmy Fallon
played 2nd Lt. George C. Rice
ilNDzse.gif

Theres also Ross from Friends and Simon Peg appeared too.

Reactions: 40Berg and redking
BoB - being Airborne and a life member of the 82nd Airborne Association I am a little bias. I would also like to wish God Blessings to a fellow 82nd member and sniper Chris Rifino, from Dunellen N.J., who passed this past Saturday in CC Texas.

Reactions: Piscataway
As I mentioned, B of B was better, but the story of John Basilone, a medal of honor winner was amazing. A guy who grew up in nearby Raritan, and did a tour in the army, but joined the Marines afterwards because he said the army wasn't tough enough. He survived Guadalcanal where he earned the Medal of Honor but didn't make it through Iwo Jima. A great soldier and great american.

BoB easily a better made/produced series.

Was conflicted last night between the new series Texas Rising and Turn. Went with Turn. What a great show. I'll catch Texas Rising tonight

Pacific was excellent, but Band of Brothers is hard to top. It was excellent in virtually every way. Even the way they handled the portrayal of the Company's first Captain, who, based on the description of him in the book, could easily have been made into a caricature on the screen, was handled very well. And the way that the indoor filming of the winter scenes was made to appear to be outdoors was exceptional.

I agree with everyone above that BoB was superior - better, more cohesive story, etc. The source materials were better for BoB.

But let me throw something out there on behalf of The Pacific. I believe Sledge's story arc (episodes 6, 7, and 9, and 10 to a lesser extent) was probably the high point of either series. Sledge's story of a privileged young man who was emotionally torn apart and effected by war so much was incredibly powerful. And the climax of his story, deciding what to do to that Japanese civilian severed injured in the bombed out house was truly moving.

Thoughts?

T2K, I agree with your views. BoB was cohesive while Pacific was disjointed. The episodes featuring Eugene Sledge were compelling. I thought the most emotional and compelling scene involving Sledge was when he broke down emotionally after trying to go hunting with his Father after the War. Anyone who found Sledge compelling should read his autobiography of his time in the War called "With the Old Breed" which was based on his war time diary. It is a haunting memoir.

I also like parts featuring Leckie, who was a real character. After the War he became a writer for the Bergen Record.

Basilone was a true hero. However, his life back in the States before he went back into action at Iwo Jima sort of dragged on the Series.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
How about that 'submarine' in NY harbor, last night in Turn ?
ie: the Turtle. Caleb is one of many great characters in that series. Hopefully Simcoe gets brutally killed before the series raps up!

I had family in both.

Uncle John jumped out of a plane at 3am on DDay.
Grandpa Walter was Guadalcanal

BoB by far was superior. TP was fantastic but disjointed. The side love story in Australia ruined it for me. Otherwise, an amazing series that gave you as close as possible view on what those men went through. Better an any movie, IMO. To watch Jose Mazzello/Eugene Sledge turn war harden was something to see.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Only saw Pacific once and BOb several time so not fair to judge for me. But E.B. Sledges book With The Old Breed at Peleliu an Okinawa was a fantastic read

I agree that BoB was more compelling overall because it focused on a single unit and not multiple ones. But I thought the episode that focused on the story of John and Lena Basilone was the best of either series.

What everyone else said.

They forced "The Pacific" to try to fit "band of Brothers" lead. "Band of Brothers" was a book first.. and a great one. And told the story of a single unit.

Pacific" tried to hit all the good story points of that theater.. but there wasn't the single unit they could focus on and tell the stories of those men. Death rate on beach landing was brutal as well... ending a lot of stories abruptly.

Maybe they could have done it with a ship.. like the Enterprise.. or maybe a few ships. The crews of those ships would have seen some heavy action and stayed relatively together.

They are working on another one for HBO based on the air war in Europe.

They are working on another one for HBO based on the air war in Europe.
If they follow the lead of the great movie Twelve O'clock High with Gregory Peck than it has a chance to be great

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT