ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best mosquito repellent for a yard

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
I've got a back patio, and it'd be a lot nicer to sit in it and enjoy the spring/summer nights if the mosquitos weren't there. What's your best suggestion for a product that would basically protect the entire patio area/backyard from mosquitos? Basic size backyard.

Bats!

There are a couple of products out there which take care of mosquitoes, trying to remember who carried them. The Sharper Image, Hammacher?, and a couple of other places. Some of them worked off of propane. What I recall is that the placement of these was very important to their effectiveness.

I've got a back patio, and it'd be a lot nicer to sit in it and enjoy the spring/summer nights if the mosquitos weren't there. What's your best suggestion for a product that would basically protect the entire patio area/backyard from mosquitos? Basic size backyard.
Flit always worked well when I was a kid until they banned DDT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flit

interesting topic. i was just talking to a co-worker today about getting the yard professionally sprayed. has anyone ever done that? if so, does it work and what exactly are they spraying?

I've used the Cutter and Off brand yard sprays and both have worked great. Walmart home depot etc. Hooks up to your hose.

I am installing a Bat house in the yard this summer, Bats eat mosquitos! Also for a quick fix an oscillating fan does the trick as well, They will not go near the air stream.

interesting topic. i was just talking to a co-worker today about getting the yard professionally sprayed. has anyone ever done that? if so, does it work and what exactly are they spraying?
I get my yard sprayed professionally. Think it's like every 12 days or so..cost about 800 for the season. At any time if I'm not happy they come back no questions asked. I live on over an acre with lots of woods and adjacent to woods and a golf course. I've been very happy with them. Mosquito squad....don't get their tick program is sucks.

As to what they spray, they claim it's all natural....need to stay indoors for 30 minutes after they spray.

When the bugs are really bad (like this year) I load up a pump sprayer full of Sevin at about 4x recommended strength and hose the place down.

Very important - get as many branches of large, overhanging shade trees as you can.

I get my yard sprayed professionally. Think it's like every 12 days or so..cost about 800 for the season. At any time if I'm not happy they come back no questions asked. I live on over an acre with lots of woods and adjacent to woods and a golf course. I've been very happy with them. Mosquito squad....don't get their tick program is sucks.

I second Mosquito Squad. I get sprayed every 3 weeks. 3rd year doing it. By the end of the 3rd week the effect wanes and they begin to return, but I was literally unable to use my yard previously. I have very aggressive Asian Tiger Mosquitos. They are much hardier and more aggressive than our native species.

I have a 22 acre sheep farm here in central NJ and I find that rolling in sheep dung keeps mosquitoes far away. And chicks dig it.

Flies, on the other hand, are a problem.

No mosquitoes around this deck . . . .

new-fire1.jpg

I've used the Cutter and Off brand yard sprays and both have worked great. Walmart home depot etc. Hooks up to your hose.

Same here. Think I used the Off brand last year and it was like night and day. Less than $20 for the bottle that goes on the hose and got rid of all the mosquitos. Still have most of the bottle and will probably spray again soon.

Same here. Think I used the Off brand last year and it was like night and day. Less than $20 for the bottle that goes on the hose and got rid of all the mosquitos. Still have most of the bottle and will probably spray again soon.
I use a lowes brand hose spray and it works well for about 3 to 4 weeks only $10 for a can .

Also for a quick fix an oscillating fan does the trick as well, They will not go near the air stream.

Yep...1 or 2 nice fans on porch will easily do the trick as RV'ers having been doing that a long, long time.

Last edited:
Have 100+ acres of conservation zone behind my house that is part wetlands. Mosquitoes are viscous here. We installed a 10' by 20' gazebo that i built screens for. We just bought nice outside couch from Costco. Its like having a family room outside.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Have 100+ acres of conservation zone behind my house that is part wetlands. Mosquitoes are viscous here. We installed a 10' by 20' gazebo that i built screens for. We just bought nice outside couch from Costco. Its like having a family room outside.

What makes your mosquitoes thicker than everyone else's?

I am installing a Bat house in the yard this summer, Bats eat mosquitos! Also for a quick fix an oscillating fan does the trick as well, They will not go near the air stream.

I am in Florida, but I had 10x the skeeter problem in Upstate NY than I do in Fla because they do mosquito control here.

When I am on my porch I have a box fan and a pedestal fan I aim at us,,,it may be a little more breeze than some prefer,,but the mosquitos stay away.

I am currently looking at putting in a bat house to attract them. I read that it can take awhile for them to inhabit the dwellings, and they prefer to be away from trees and a house that gets a good deal of sunlight during the day- I assume to keep them warm.

I have also put several planters on my patio that are growing herbs which are supposed to repel Mosquitos somewhat.

Try and eliminate any standing water in pots, stuff behind your shed etc. Had a neighbor move in years ago and he put a bunch of old tires out back. Went from very few to a lot very quickly in my back yard.

Interesting thread. Electric repellants are something I've noticed more of over the past few years. Not sure how effective they are, but could make a good alternative for those that don't want to spray and don't like the smell of torches, candles, insect spray, etc. The electric ones are often built into lanterns. Anyone have any experience?

Prior to this thread, I thought a "bat house" was a term for weird, abandoned houses that bats inhabited. Didn't realize people invited bats on purpose.

Try and eliminate any standing water in pots, stuff behind your shed etc. Had a neighbor move in years ago and he put a bunch of old tires out back. Went from very few to a lot very quickly in my back yard.

You should have asked him to put those tires into his old refrigerator that he keeps on the front porch.....

But the old refrigerator may block the view when he is sitting on his couch on the front porch..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT