ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best songs of the 80's

RUboston

All American
Sep 13, 2002
Been listening all night to 80's music. Anyone used to listen to WLIR? My top five:

I Melt With You - Modern English
Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Beds are Burning - Midnight Oil
Pride - U2

So many other great songs from that decade.

GO RU!

Should I Stay or Should I Go--The Clash
Rio-Dura Duran
True Colors-Cindy Lauper
Red Red Wine-UB-40
Rock Lobster-B-52's

Just to name a few.

Blister In The Sun - The Violent Femmes
Whip It by Devo
What Do All The People Know - The Monroes
The Break Up Song (They Don't Write 'em) by the Greg Kihn Band
Should I Stay or Should I Go by the Clash
I Got You by Split Enz
I Ran (So Far Away) by A Flock of Seagulls
Words by Missing Persons
Cars by Gary Numan
I Know What Boys Like by the Waitresses
Suddenly Last Summer by the Motels
Drive by the Cars
Save It For Later by the English Beat
Back On The Chain Gang by Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders
Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears
Every Breath You Take by the Police
Stone In Love by Journey
You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride) by Don Felder
Janie's Got A Gun by Aerosmith

You got to go with Huey Lewis and the news. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
In no particular order.. though my favorite seems to be Dee Lite Groove is in the Heart.. don't know why

Brass in Pocket - Pretenders (1979 but it still counts imho)
Blister in the Sun - Femmes
You Spin Me Round - Dead or Alive
Just a Gigilo - Barbie and the Kens
Rock Lobster - B52s
Elvis is Everywhere - Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper (not very "80s". rockabilly)
Cherry Oh - Keep on Moving - UB40 (and of course Marley's originals like Redemption Song.. UB40 just 80-fied them)
Free Nelson Mandella - The Specials
In a Big Country - Big Country
Shoot You Down - apb (vid shot at the Loop Lounge.. saw them there... this could be a hit today so few people have heard this)
Need you Tonight - INXS
Our House - Madness

And I like The Proclaimers but its not everyones' cup of t.. scotch

(after a few on this list I had to jog my memory and don't have time to pick more.. but here is the source I found..Uncle Millie List)

Those new to 80s music should look up the best of these bands on youtube..

The Fixx (like One thing leads to another)
INXS
Haircut 100 (Fantastic Day)
Split Enz
Tears for Fears
Culture Club
The English Beat
The Cure
Violent Femmes (kiss off)
The Smiths
Human League
Joe Jackson

.. and so many other bigger names like Elvis Costello, Go-Gos, Clash (and Clash off-shoots like Big Audio Dynamite), B52s (and offshoot Fed Schneider and the Shake Society if you like the whole 52s thing). And then you got so so many non-80s sounding bands who did well in the 80s.. Huey Lewis, Springsteen, Thorogood, etc.

This post was edited on 4/18 10:00 AM by GoodOl'Rutgers

snippets

brief samples....number 10 is my number 1....
This post was edited on 4/18 9:19 AM by wheezer

link

loved LIR when I went to dental school at Columbia got the station perfectly in my apartment it was awesome

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
We Built This City by Starship
+1 but Jack Casady must be turning over in his grave. He always regretted Starship.

The 80's were definitely an odd decade, but it was an awesome time for music. If I were going to single out a 10 year run, I think I would go with 78-88 as the most productive time in music. There were a lot of different genres that were crisscrossing the pop charts. More importantly, record sales made artists money. You still had major, iconic bands from the 60's and 70's doing studio work and getting air time on AOR stations like WNEW. You could turn the dial on the car radio (yeah that's how us old folds used to do it) and hear new music from Metalica, the Ramones, the Police, U2, Michael Jackson, Tom Petty, the Who, the Stones. It was the decade that brought us both hair bands and break dancing.

For those of you who didn't live through the 80's and don't respect the music from that time I would recommend that you pick up a few albums and listen to them start to finish: Back in Black, Look Sharp, Thriller, Raising Hell, Born in the USA, Pyromania, and the Joshua Tree. If you cant find something you like in that mix, than you probably don't really like music.

Originally posted by Jonas Grumby:
You got to go with Huey Lewis and the news. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
Well done, sir. LOL

"Would you like to hear the specials tonight?"

"Not if you want to keep your spleen."

80's Songs

Old Friends-Stanley Clarke
Mary's Prayer-Danny Wilson
Ain't Missing You - John Waite
Le Grande- ZZ Top
Uptown Girl- Billy Joel
I Can't Go For That- Hall / Oates
If She Knew What She Wants-Bangles
Betty Davis Eyes- Kim Carnes
I Don't Mind At All- Bourgeious Tagg
All Through the Night- Cyndi Lauper
Time After Time-Cyndi Lauper
Karma Chamelon-Culture Club
She Drives Me Crazy-Fine Young Cannibals
Wanna Go Back-Eddie Money

And This Classic .....Not Gonna Rick Roll You though

And this classic ....attached!

This post was edited on 4/18 3:27 PM by RutgersMO

80's: Bes Video EVER!

Originally posted by richthedentist:
loved LIR when I went to dental school at Columbia got the station perfectly in my apartment it was awesome
To hell with LIR.. WHTG-FM 106.3 Ruled

Re: 80's Songs

Not one of my favorite decades for music...but there is good and bad in every decade. Some of my favorites from then:

"Freeze Frame" J. Geils Band

"Higher Love" Steve Winwood

"Money For Nothing " Dire Straits

"Pride and Joy" Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

"I Feel For You' Chaka Khan

"Dance Hall Days" Wang Chung

"The Way it Is" Bruce Hornsby & The Range

Originally posted by RutgersMO:

Old Friends-Stanley Clarke
Mary's Prayer-Danny Wilson
Ain't Missing You - John Waite
Le Grande- ZZ Top
Uptown Girl- Billy Joel
I Can't Go For That- Hall / Oates
If She Knew What She Wants-Bangles
Betty Davis Eyes- Kim Carnes
I Don't Mind At All- Bourgeious Tagg
All Through the Night- Cyndi Lauper
Time After Time-Cyndi Lauper
Karma Chamelon-Culture Club
She Drives Me Crazy-Fine Young Cannibals
Wanna Go Back-Eddie Money

And This Classic .....Not Gonna Rick Roll You though

And this classic ....attached!

This post was edited on 4/18 3:27 PM by RutgersMO
Not to nitpick, but La Grange was released in 1973. Great tune.

One of my favorites, Drive by the Cars.

More Than This--Roxy Music
Head Over Heels--The Go Go's
If She Knew What She Wants--Bangles
Don't Get Me Wrong--The Pretenders

Nobody a Talking heads fan?

And she was and Burning down the house were great songs.

Also in the Eighties liked Phil collins/Genesis, Huey Lewis, U2, Bruce Hornsby, Bryan Adams.

Sad to see the Eagles, one of my favorite groups break up and have no songs for the Eighties.

Originally posted by LotusAggressor:
Originally posted by HeyHuey:

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
We Built This City by Starship
+1 but Jack Casady must be turning over in his grave. He always regretted Starship.
Jack Casady is dead?
My mistake...it was his wife that passed in 2012. Maybe by now he's glad to have the Starship money still coming in.
Either way I still think the song was an 80's highlight.

Cities in Dust by Siouxie and the Banshees
This is Not a Love Song and May the Road Rise Up To You by Public Image Limited
Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo
anything by Social Distortion or X or English Beat
'Holiday in Cambodia by Dead Kennedys
I might Like You Better If We Slept Together by Romeo Void
Monster of Love by Sparks
Jackie Onassis by Human Sexual Response
Tainted Love (sorry)
All Lined Up by Shreikback
She's In Parties by Bauhaus
I love a man in a Uniform by Gang Of Four
If I can grab one from the 70's my anthem was White Punks On Dope by The Tubes
And two from the 90's? Separated by Offspring and the Marshall Suite album by The Fall

I am starting to get worried about RU8474953's health. How is it possible he has not responded to this thread?

GoodOl'Rutgers nailed it with mention of WHTG - Eatontown, 106.3. I thank them every time I put on Prefab Sprout's "Steve McQueen" (subsequently named "Two Wheels Good") album, my personal favorite -- a cult classic, yet virtually unknown by most. "HTG" was an awesome Summer station, with all the new alternative stuff, especially the Brit Pop of the 80s:
Prefab SproutUltravoxLes EnfantsKilling JokeB MovieThe CureThe TheThe Smiths
You still hear The Smiths and The Cure, but not much else from those days.

This question is too difficult to answer and my list would probably take a few pages, so I will take the easy way out and say the best songs of the 80s are any 80s song Matt Pinfield ever played publicly.

Reactions: RutgersRissa
60's, 70's, 80's...What's the Difference, They're All Histtory

ohwell.r191677.gif

MO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT