ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bobby Hull dead at 84.

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
The Golden Jet has taken his last shift.

He was the NHL's version of Mickey Mantle,known for his powerful slap shot and for his skating speed.

• Sad
Reactions: rurichdog
Didn’t Bobby Hull use a straight wooden stick as opposed to the curved and composite sticks of modern times?

“His slap shot in that article was recorded as having a top speed of 118.3 MPH. That would make him hands down the player with the hardest slap shot in NHL history. It is more than 10 MPH faster than any other recorded slap shot; all done in the '60s with a wooden stick.”

Didn’t Bobby Hull use a straight wooden stick as opposed to the curved and composite sticks of modern times?

“His slap shot in that article was recorded as having a top speed of 118.3 MPH. That would make him hands down the player with the hardest slap shot in NHL history. It is more than 10 MPH faster than any other recorded slap shot; all done in the '60s with a wooden stick.”
Bobby actually used the original banana curves, him and Stan Makita

images

Reactions: Knight Owl
Checking out his stats on HockeyDB and was surprised he was only 5'10", I always under the impression he was a bigger man.

But I don't think he was a lightweight as he was just under 200 lbs. A lot of muscle under that sweater.

one could argue he was also the most respected man on the ice. Some great stories about him but the best was by Barry Melrose

Reactions: Knightmoves

I personally don’t believe that mph, at least not in a game situation. But, for fun one night while watching old hockey video clips I tried calculating the speed of a shot that Hull took from the blue line in the middle of the ice beating Ken Dryden clean. It was a legit 90 mph (traveling the entire distance) so off Hull’s stick it was certainly over 90 mph.

Saw him play in the old garden.
One of my first hockey experiences with my dad who was obsessed with the sport.
RIP Jet
Same here. With no helmets in those days you couldn't miss his blond hair, stocky build, blinding speed and terrific slap shot. Easily the most exciting player I ever saw. Those super Black Hawk jerseys were wonderful....and I was a Ranger fan.

Reactions: zappaa
Bobby Hull died years ago. Seriously, that was the name of the guy who introduced me to my wife 32 years ago. One of my favorite people. Cancer took him.
True story: We were going to a game in Chicago and we went to the "will call" window to pick up our tickets. The look of diappointment on the face of the guy giving us our tickets when he realized it was not THAT Bobby Hull was priceless.
My Bobby Hull was bigger than the guy who just died, could drink more than almost anybody I ever knew, and had a bigger personality than the legendary hockey player.
Miss him.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT