ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cespedes to Mets for 2 pitching prospects (not Wheeler)

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
Nice fallback after missing on Gomez.

Nice power hitter who's been clutch in the past! Nice week by Alderson!!!

Nice fallback after missing on Gomez.

Nice power hitter who's been clutch in the past! Nice week by Alderson!!!

Mets fans will learn very quickly to hate Cespedes. Lazy, a bad defensive outfielder and not coachable. This is his 4th team since the 2014 season if I recall correctly. Another contract that Mets fans will regret.

If Cespedes does merit the hatred of Mets fans, they won't have to hate him for long. He is a rental.

Reactions: OTBOTOR
Serendipity...Cespedes is a better hitter than the overrated C Gomez, and we keep Wheeler. Two average prospects is a cheap price for a rental that will bolster the lineup & could propel the team into the playoffs.

He's a lazy dick? So what! We need him for two months.

And Cespedes only costs like 4 million the rest of the year.

It's a rental and I hope it works out for the next 2 months. He won't be with the Mets next year.

He did not come cheap though. Fulmer is far from an average prospect. He's the top rated pitching prospect the Mets had left, and he is MLB ready. But the Mets were dealing from strength, and they did what they had to do.

Mets fans will learn very quickly to hate Cespedes. Lazy, a bad defensive outfielder and not coachable. This is his 4th team since the 2014 season if I recall correctly. Another contract that Mets fans will regret.
Cepedes's contract ends this year, so I am not sure what you are referring to. I think it is a good move. Mets need a power hitter.

I don't get how anyone in NJ would be a Mets fan when you have the Yankees in the area.

Unless you grew up in Queens or maybe Brooklyn.

I've been wondering that for years.
I mean it's not like they graduated from Metsie University.

HATE trades like this. Hate 'em. A desperate attempt to buy the present by mortgaging the future. Look what a bargain this kind of trade turned out to be for the idiot Nets two years back. The Knicks have engaged in this kind of stupidity since the Ewing days. This works out about one time in a thousand. Idiots.

Sooooo true. I had to endure this slapnuts as a Red Sox fan for 50+ games. This guy is a mutt.

I'm a little surprised Cashman & the Yankees didn't make a move for another pitcher. They are in position to win their division, yet their starting pitching not built for the playoffs (bullpen YES). Pineda just put on the 15 day DL, Tanaka could go down at any time, Sabathia looks washed up, Evoldi you never know what you will get, Nova seems the most reliable. Anyway, with Cueto, Hamels , Price and few other Aces available, I'm surprised the Yanks stood pat in regards to starting pitching.

Skillet, you are wrong on this one, for multiple reasons:

1) Unlike the 2012 Nets, the Mets did not take on any stifling long-term contracts. Just rentals.

2) Baseball is much more egalitarian than basketball. As recent history has shown, if you make the playoffs you got a shot. Whereas the Nets, in attempting to beat LeBron in the playoffs, were on a fool's errand.

3) Most importantly, the Mets did not mortgage their future, because their future and their present are one. It is named Harvey, deGrom, Syndegaard, Matz, and Wheeler, and it is still here.

I like the move. I dont know why people are acting like we signed him to a long term contract. We needed a big bat down the stretch and we got one for basically nothing.

The only way I'd be pissed at losing Fulmer is if he was going to be our rock in the bullpen. Looking at the loafs we have now, I doubt this was the case. Look at our starting rotation...where was he supposed to fit?

I don't get how anyone in NJ would be a Mets fan when you have the Yankees in the area.

Unless you grew up in Queens or maybe Brooklyn.

Some of us were 9 years old in 1969. Anybody who became a Yankees fan that year either was crazy or was forced into it by heredity.

Well worth the gamble. We had to trade for a stick to make a run and pitching is the asset we had. Lots of prospects do not pan out, and there are already plenty of young proven starters even if two are hurt right now.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
4th team in 2 years. He must be a cancer in the locker room.
Not necessarily, as the Tigers were sellers now anyway. I read somewhere they couldn't extend him a qualifying offer, either, so it makes sense for them to make a deal

With Cespedes playing for a new contract for 2016 we can expect that he'l make a strong effort the next 2 months for the Mets. I also heard the ESPN analysts say that he is a good LF, so my earlier impression was incorrect.

I doubt that he will be a Met in 2016. The Red Sox had him for 50 games last season and said that he was uncoachable. Let the buyer beware for any team that signs him to a long term deal after the season. The A's, Red Sox and Tigers were all happy to let him go in the past 12 months. He also switched agents last season and is now represented by Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports, an agency notorious for looking for top dollar for their clients.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
Like this move better than Gomez move. Been a Mets fan since 1962. Never gave consideration to being a Yankee fan even though uncle printed scorecards and yearbooks for Yankees back then.

With Cespedes playing for a new contract for 2016 we can expect that he'l make a strong effort the next 2 months for the Mets. I also heard the ESPN analysts say that he is a good LF, so my earlier impression was incorrect.

I doubt that he will be a Met in 2016. The Red Sox had him for 50 games last season and said that he was uncoachable. Let the buyer beware for any team that signs him to a long term deal after the season. The A's, Red Sox and Tigers were all happy to let him go in the past 12 months. He also switched agents last season and is now represented by Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports, an agency notorious for looking for top dollar for their clients.
The ESPN analysts didn't watch him for 50+ games. I did. He is a butcher in left field with an absolute cannon for an arm.

Reactions: Knightmoves
So now what happens with Conforto? Does he go back down? Or does Granderson get moved to center? I would think that Conforto has to play every day somewhere -- if not here, then in Vegas (which is still a promotion from where he was a week ago).

So now what happens with Conforto? Does he go back down? Or does Granderson get moved to center? I would think that Conforto has to play every day somewhere -- if not here, then in Vegas (which is still a promotion from where he was a week ago).

Assuming Cespedes is as bad advertised, I think you need to keep Legares in the line-up if he is healthy. You need his glove and ability to get to balls in the gap. Grandy can't move like he used to.

Conforto probably goes back down until getting called up again in September.

But it is the Mets...so if there is a way to screw up the moves, they'll find it.

Assuming Cespedes is as bad advertised, I think you need to keep Legares in the line-up if he is healthy. You need his glove and ability to get to balls in the gap. Grandy can't move like he used to.

Conforto probably goes back down until getting called up again in September.

But it is the Mets...so if there is a way to screw up the moves, they'll find it.
Ken Rosenthal tweeted at the time of the trade negotiations that Grandy to center was likely. We'll see. Like you said, for the defensive difference I wouldnt do that. I'd continue to platoon Kirk and Lagares because Lagares hitting against righties this year has been brutal.

ADVERTISEMENT