ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cespedes to Mets for 2 pitching prospects (not Wheeler)

Ken Rosenthal tweeted at the time of the trade negotiations that Grandy to center was likely. We'll see. Like you said, for the defensive difference I wouldnt do that. I'd continue to platoon Kirk and Lagares because Lagares hitting against righties this year has been brutal.

You can't put Grandy in center because your defense becomes very weak. Let Lagares and Kirk split time in center, with Grandy in right and Cespedes in left. Cuddyer is now the 3rd corner outfielder and backups Duda. Conforto goes back down until getting called up again in September. Next year, Conforto gets a shot at the corner position since it's likely both Cespedes and Cuddyer are gone.

Why is Eric Campbell still around? Vegas is where he belongs for now.

Campbell is still around because he can play anywhere.

But he can't hit. This team is struggling to hit and score runs. Like they need more dead weight at the plate. Campbell makes Mario Mendoza look like a batting champ. Campbell is batting .176 and you think his glove is enough to overlook his weak bat?

Campbell is batting .176 and you think his glove is enough to overlook his weak bat?

I do as long as his role is 25th man, last man on the bench, which is what his role will be now that they have Cespedes. If his role is #5 in the batting order, as it was a week ago, then not so much.

For the life of me I can't understand how, on a Rutgers message board, people are getting made fun of for being Mets fans.

They're kinda the same deal.

What a bunch of crap.
1.Rutgers is a UNIVERSITY...THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY. I'd be willing to wager that quite a few of its fans and also quite a few of those that post here are graduates of Rutgers and thus have an attachment to RU that would be impossible to have to a professional baseball team. There might even be some who did not attend Rutgers but have relatives who did or do and thus have an attachment to RU.
2. Rutgers, as noted above, is THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY and thus might have some followers of the program who prefer to root for NEW JERSEY'S team. And Rutgers is at present the sole D1A program representing this state and this area.
3. The Mets arrived in the Metro area in 1962, when there already was a rather successful major league team right across the river in the Bronx. Some might say one of the most successful teams in professional sports history. And the Metsies were laughing stocks when they first came into existence. They weren't worth watching, as they played a miserable, non-competitive brand of baseball.
3. In their long, disappointing history the Mets have had only two championship seasons....since 1962. And they've given their fans more disappointments than any fan deserves from a team. Their ownership exists in one of the largest...if not THE largest market in baseball, yet refuses to make the necessary financial commitment to compete with the top teams in baseball. While the Yankees are on the list of teams that pay their players well, the Mets are at the bottom of that list...AND THEY PLAY IN NEW YORK.
4.Perhaps if someone first was exposed to major league baseball when the Mets were winning in 1986 and the Yanks were down or during the period when George Steinbrenner was at his worst it might be possible to comprehend the attraction to the Amazins. Or if someone lived in Queens Or if they were related to Marv Throneberry or Choo Choo Coleman, Other than that it's a real head-scratcher.

Other than 1969 and 1986, it's been good times rooting against the Mets. I thank them for that. And I thank them for Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, David Cone, and Chris Young. And I think I'll soon be thanking them for Matt Harvey. Don't ever change.

Last edited:
What a bunch of crap.
1.Rutgers is a UNIVERSITY...THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY. I'd be willing to wager that quite a few of its fans and also quite a few of those that post here are graduates of Rutgers and thus have an attachment to RU that would be impossible to have to a professional baseball team. There might even be some who did not attend Rutgers but have relatives who did or do and thus have an attachment to RU.
2. Rutgers, as noted above, is THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY and thus might have some followers of the program who prefer to root for NEW JERSEY'S team. And Rutgers is at present the sole D1A program representing this state and this area.
3. The Mets arrived in the Metro area in 1962, when there already was a rather successful major league team right across the river in the Bronx. Some might say one of the most successful teams in professional sports history. And the Metsies were laughing stocks when they first came into existence. They weren't worth watching, as they played a miserable, non-competitive brand of baseball.
3. In their long, disappointing history the Mets have had only two championship seasons....since 1962. And they've given their fans more disappointments than any fan deserves from a team. Their ownership exists in one of the largest...if not THE largest market in baseball, yet refuses to make the necessary financial commitment to compete with the top teams in baseball. While the Yankees are on the list of teams that pay their players well, the Mets are at the bottom of that list...AND THEY PLAY IN NEW YORK.
4.Perhaps if someone first was exposed to major league baseball when the Mets were winning in 1986 and the Yanks were down or during the period when George Steinbrenner was at his worst it might be possible to comprehend the attraction to the Amazins. Or if someone lived in Queens Or if they were related to Marv Throneberry or Choo Choo Coleman, Other than that it's a real head-scratcher.

Other than 1969 and 1986, it's been good times rooting against the Mets. I thank them for that. And I thank them for Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, David Cone, and Chris Young. And I' think I'll soon be thanking them for Matt Harvey. Don't ever change.

I root against 2 MLB teams every game, the Mets & Phillies.
When they play each other I'll root for the team that has a less chance to make the playoffs.

Let me guess, you're also a Penn State fan.

My Dad and most of my friends rooted for teams like Pen St, Syracuse, Texas, Notre Dame and West Vag when I was young.
But I always have been a RU fan since they are the NJ team.
Even all those years when RU alums that I knew were embarrassed of their school and refused to wear Rutgers apparel.

It's cool to see so many people wear RU gear now and the Block R's on cars.

What a bunch of crap.

Other than 1969 and 1986, it's been good times rooting against the Mets. I thank them for that. And I thank them for Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, David Cone, and Chris Young. And I' think I'll soon be thanking them for Matt Harvey. Don't ever change.
Respectfully, you seem a little too intense about this subject.

That said, (the second) #3 sounds, I dunno, sorta familiar no?

I do as long as his role is 25th man, last man on the bench, which is what his role will be now that they have Cespedes. If his role is #5 in the batting order, as it was a week ago, then not so much.

Agree and somehow Campbell is usually batting too high in the lineup every time he plays. I rather go with a young player out of the farm system to do the same thing. Campbell's window of opportunity is closing face as he approaches 30 in a little over a year.

Campbell can't hit. like the Uribe addition.

What are you talking about? Uribe is batting .273 for the season with a little more pop in the bat than Campbell. Campbell has yet to establish himself. He's a solid hitter in the minors, but it hasn't translated to the major league level. Let's face it, he might be a career minor leaguer.

Agree and somehow Campbell is usually batting too high in the lineup every time he plays. I rather go with a young player out of the farm system to do the same thing. Campbell's window of opportunity is closing face as he approaches 30 in a little over a year.

What are you talking about? Uribe is batting .273 for the season with a little more pop in the bat than Campbell. Campbell has yet to establish himself. He's a solid hitter in the minors, but it hasn't translated to the major league level. Let's face it, he might be a career minor leaguer.

I'll assume he meant to say

"Campbell can't hit. I like the Uribe addition" and left the "I" out.

Kbee - you are ignoring the # of fans left without a local team when the Dodgers and Giants went west. There's no way those fans would start rooting for the Yankees.

All the Yankee World Series championships before I was born were irrelevant to me when it came to becoming a fan. Jumping on a bandwagon because of tradition isn't for everyone. Likewise for their crowns in 1996 on, as by then already had a team. That leaves 1977 and 1978, when I was a kid but too young to really follow the sport. It was 1983 when I realized I was a Mets fan.

1983: Mets 68 wins, Yankees 91
1984: Mets 90 wins, Yankees 87
1985: Mets 98, Yankees 97 (this was a great year to be a Mets fan even though the Cardinals won 101 games to win the NL East)
1986: Mets 108, Yankees 90
1987: Mets 92, Yankees 89
1988: Mets 100, Yankees 85
1989: Mets 87, Yankees 74
1990: Mets 91, Yankees 67
1991: Mets 77, Yankees 71
1992: Mets 72, Yankees 76

For eight straight seasons in my teens and early 20s (man I'm getting older), the Mets were better than the Yankees - and usually it was by a wide margin.

A season does not need to end in a championship for a fan to enjoy the ride.

On point 3 number 1, in 1962, there were quite a few fans in the New York area who had very strong National League rooting interests and who hated the Yankees.

And only a Yankee (or maybe Cardinals) fan would talk about "only two championship seasons since 1962." There are 10 teams - including 2 of the other 3 teams that joined MLB around the same time as the Mets - that have won no World Series since then, 5 teams that have won once and 4 other teams that have won 2. So Mets fans have had more championships than the average since the team was created.

On point 3 number 1, in 1962, there were quite a few fans in the New York area who had very strong National League rooting interests and who hated the Yankees.

And only a Yankee (or maybe Cardinals) fan would talk about "only two championship seasons since 1962." There are 10 teams - including 2 of the other 3 teams that joined MLB around the same time as the Mets - that have won no World Series since then, 5 teams that have won once and 4 other teams that have won 2. So Mets fans have had more championships than the average since the team was created.
Lineup is out.

Grandy in CF tonight. Kelly Johnson in RF.

Certainly looks a lot better with Cespedes in there!

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/107872/saturdays-mets-nationals-lineups-2

I like this move better than the Gomez trade but I don't think we got him for nothing. While a prospect is a prospect until proven otherwise, seems like Fulmer is having a good year and thought to be close to major league ready. We have a wealth of arms so we can afford to give up both him and Meisner but it would be nice if either Clippard or Cespedes works out for a longer term period. If I had to guess I would say we have a better shot with Clippard. Regarding Cespedes, the roundtable talk about him on Baseball Tonight was that he is a very good LF. I did not realize that. Whether he takes to coaching could be another matter.

But he can't hit. This team is struggling to hit and score runs. Like they need more dead weight at the plate. Campbell makes Mario Mendoza look like a batting champ. Campbell is batting .176 and you think his glove is enough to overlook his weak bat?

I was at last night's game and the talk among the fans was that Campbell needs to go. My comment was that you can put him at 3rd, left, 1st wherever and he can't hit at any of those positions.
His glove is not enough to overcome the horrible offense. Get rid of him now.

As expected, Conforto goes down to Vegas. Correct decision IMO. He has to play every day, and he wasn't going to.

"A season does not need to end in a championship for a fan to enjoy the ride."

Definitely a Mets fan's attitude. No Yankees fan would ever say that.
BTW, I've seen those exact words written in team yearbooks for the Buffalo Bills and the New York Jets.

"A season does not need to end in a championship for a fan to enjoy the ride."

Definitely a Mets fan's attitude. No Yankees fan would ever say that.
BTW, I've seen those exact words written in team yearbooks for the Buffalo Bills and the New York Jets.
If you are consistent by that standard, you have NEVER enjoyed a Rutgers season in any sport.

You shouldn't have enjoyed Pandemonium in Piscataway. Sure, we beat Louisville and cracked the top 10 - but did not win a championship that year. Being Texas Bowl champions doesn't really count as a championship.

We could beat #1 Ohio State this year, but you shouldn't enjoy it if we do - that's not a championship.

Hell, we could shock the world this year, go 12-0 in the regular season and lose the B1G title game to whoever emerges from the west. No championship, though, so you should not enjoy the ride.

That's just stupid IMO. But whatever floats your boat!

It may be hard for NYY to understand, but the Yankees didn't always own NY. Look up the attendance figures. Expos even out drew them in early 80's. I'm a Mets fan, but I also love baseball and root for a subway series every year. Doesn't make sense for me to 'hate' any team.
Unless, of course the team is loaded with douch bags...then I simply root against them.

Reactions: redking
It may be hard for NYY to understand, but the Yankees didn't always own NY. Look up the attendance figures. Expos even out drew them in early 80's. I'm a Mets fan, but I also love baseball and root for a subway series every year. Doesn't make sense for me to 'hate' any team.
Unless, of course the team is loaded with douch bags...then I simply root against them.

Or there fan base. And the Yankee fan base is loaded with them. There are some good ones, but a lot of dbs.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
My Dad and most of my friends rooted for teams like Pen St, Syracuse, Texas, Notre Dame and West Vag when I was young.
But I always have been a RU fan since they are the NJ team.
Even all those years when RU alums that I knew were embarrassed of their school and refused to wear Rutgers apparel.

It's cool to see so many people wear RU gear now and the Block R's on cars.

West what?

For the life of me I can't understand how, on a Rutgers message board, people are getting made fun of for being Mets fans.

^^^^^ THIS

Gotta love the Yankee Fan arrogance.....kind of reminds me of Notre Dame Fans. In fact they go hand in hand. I'm wiling to bet that most of the Yankee Fans are also ND Homers.

"I don't get how anyone in NJ would be a Mets fan when you have the Yankees in the area."

Why would anyone be a Met Fan comes from an ass who does not understand how Brooklyn's heart was crushed when the Dodgers moved to LA.

Not sure if you realize it but the Mets uniform colors are Dodger Blue and Giant Orange. Many of those fans moved to NJ as well.

I hope the Yankees get really close this year but then their fans get their spoiled hearts ripped out at the end when they don't win it all.

I wouldn't say the team is load with douchbags, but a lot of their fans are questionable right Kbee3? I use to work in an office with 90% of the people there were Yankee fans. During the year of the Subway Series it really got ugly. Some of the people didn't even know Jeter was still on the team. One person said he only follow the Yankees when they reach the playoffs, WTF? I'm a Mets fan and I respect the Yankee Organization in how they produce winners so often, but some of their fans can go to h*ll. No need to put down others just to feel good about your team.

^^^^^ THIS

Gotta love the Yankee Fan arrogance.....kind of reminds me of Notre Dame Fans. In fact they go hand in hand. I'm wiling to bet that most of the Yankee Fans are also ND Homers.

"I don't get how anyone in NJ would be a Mets fan when you have the Yankees in the area."

Why would anyone be a Met Fan comes from an ass who does not understand how Brooklyn's heart was crushed when the Dodgers moved to LA.

Not sure if you realize it but the Mets uniform colors are Dodger Blue and Giant Orange. Many of those fans moved to NJ as well.

I hope the Yankees get really close this year but then their fans get their spoiled hearts ripped out at the end when they don't win it all.

The NY Giants owned NY long before the Highlanders moved from Baltimore. The Giants did the Yankees a favor by allowing them to play in their stadium when they first moved to town. The Giants and the Dodgers were very popular. I've read and hear from a few older people that Yankees were really only popular in the Bronx. The Giants and Dodgers owned the other Boroughs. It wasn't until both left did the Yankee popularity grow well beyond the boundaries of the Bronx to other parts of the city. I dare a Yankee fan to walk the streets of Brooklyn back in the 40s and early 50s.

Quick story how the Mets' name, the Giants and Dodgers are tied together long before the new Mets took the colors of the Giants and Dodgers. Back in the 1880s there was another pro team named the Mets and they were considered the best pro team out there. Both the National League and American Association wanted them. It just so happen the owners for the Giants owned the Mets too. While deciding which league to place the Mets in, the owners striped the Mets of talent and place it on the Giants roster. The Giants went on to win big in the 1880s while the Mets fell apart. Soon after the Mets were sold and moved to Staten Island. Not long after they were absorbed by the Brooklyn Grays along with players from Brooklyn Ward's Wonders. The Grays made the move from the American Association to the National League and changed their name to the Dodgers a few years later Also, Yankee fan should be thankful to the Dodgers because it was their actions that made it possible for the Yankee to exist. The Grays (Dodgers) merged with the original Baltimore Orioles. A few years later a new Baltimore Orioles team was created to fill the void. Still struggling as an organization, the Orioles moved to NY and became known as the Highlanders. Everyone knows the Highlanders changed their name to the Yankees.

Last edited:
What a bunch of crap.

Other than 1969 and 1986, it's been good times rooting against the Mets. I thank them for that. And I thank them for Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, David Cone, and Chris Young. And I think I'll soon be thanking them for Matt Harvey. Don't ever change.

First let me say I'm of the rare breed who roots for both Mets and Yanks because growing up in the early to mid 80's before the advent of inter-league play and the now infamous "subway"World Series in 2000, these teams were like apples and oranges and never played each other. In fact, they still are apples and oranges from how they build their teams (Yankees power hitting, Mets power pitching) to how they approach their day to day operations (Yankees are a billion dollar corporation, Mets are akin to a small market MLB team by comparison). As for the Mets long history of losing and "only 2 world championships" since 1962, well I'm sure older more historic franchises like the Cubs, Indians and White Sox would love to have the resume of 4 pennants and 2 WS championships in that time. Hell up until 2010 the Mets had a similar or arguably better resume than the SF Giants since 1962 when the Mets came into existence.

For me personally, I'm just an NL guy at heart. I admire the Yankee tradition and enjoy going to the Bronx for games, but other than the rivalries with the Red Sox and Orioles I have always found the American League completely boring by comparison to the National League. Baseball in Canada irks me, the Rays play in the biggest dump of a field in mlb history and to me outside of KC, the other 4 AL Central teams may as well all be the same team. Boring. Out west I guess the A's and Angels are kind of exciting but Seattle is a snooze-Fest and up until recently Texas never bothered to pitch.

The NL by comparison has the Cards, Giants, Dodgers, Braves...all historic, great franchises and lovable losers like the Cubs and Phillies (I only say this because Phil's fans are as diehard as they come when they are down). The Reds and Pirates are exciting small market Midwest franchises who have done a lot of winning in their history. Yeah the Brewers, Rockies and Dbacks are wack but the Marlins are the better of the 2 Florida expansion franchises and Washington, D.C. has plenty of baseball history. And even the Padres have two pennants to their credit where as Seattle is one of only 2 existing mlb franchises who have never played in a WS (the other being Montreal/DC) And let's face it, it's not like the AL west has been some juggernaut division throughout it's history. The Astros are cool but they just became an AL team. Again, I like watching and rooting for the Yanks, but I guess I'm an NL guy at heart and that makes me a Mets fan at heart. Plus, Doc and Daryl were THE GUYS in NYC during my formative years (all due respect the great Donny Baseball) so that's how I was sold.

Last edited:
Don't know much about him but there is a reason he is with his 5th team in 4 yrs. He either sucks defensively or is a detriment in the clubhouse

Don't know much about him but there is a reason he is with his 5th team in 4 yrs. He either sucks defensively or is a detriment in the clubhouse

I think Oakland admitted they made a mistake trading him last year because their team fell apart in the second half. They felt they needed another starting pitcher for a short playoff series and had a chance to get Jon Lester...how do you say no to that? But I think after the Donaldson trade it's pretty clear that Billy Beane is out of his mind so there's that. Also, I guess his 2 months with Boston wasn't the best for either party so Detroit signed him. But here again, Boston wanted to get rid of Sandoval after only two months...why sign him to such a big deal in the off season then? I think both Beane and the Red Sox act first and think second but just my opinion. Detroit is in rebuilding mode so figured may as well get something for him and Fulmer is a solid prospect. I have no problem with the deal. Mets fans bitch the team doesn't try to win. Now they are going for it so can't complain. Whether or not the Mets get into the tournament remains to be seen but Cespedes is much needed offensive help. He's got a good arm in LF and Kelly Johnson who played with him in Boston says he's not an issue in the clubhouse whatsoever. Sox fans have their kind of guys and obviously neither Cespedes nor Sandoval are "their kind of guys". But Big Poppy can hit .250, publicly inject himself with a cycle of Winstrol on NESN and then go murder a litter of kittens and still be revered as the biggest hero in the city. Got to love those crazy Sawx fans.

Last edited:

The Nats starter seemed to have a pretty good book on Cespedes at bat last night. He was an absolute sucker for a slider low and away each time up. Instead of going with it and trying to drive it to the right side he tried to pull it and was early on it. If this continues we'll see a steady stream of groundouts to short and 3rd like we saw last nite. He also strikes out a lot so he should fit in well with the rest of the team.

Being that this is his first time in the National League I'm not sure if this is to his advantage or if he will struggle at bat. Since this is his 4th team in the last 12 months I'm thinking that he's not an asset in the clubhouse. Mets don't have much of an investment in him so he may be worth taking a chance on, for now.

If you are consistent by that standard, you have NEVER enjoyed a Rutgers season in any sport.

You shouldn't have enjoyed Pandemonium in Piscataway. Sure, we beat Louisville and cracked the top 10 - but did not win a championship that year. Being Texas Bowl champions doesn't really count as a championship.

We could beat #1 Ohio State this year, but you shouldn't enjoy it if we do - that's not a championship.

Hell, we could shock the world this year, go 12-0 in the regular season and lose the B1G title game to whoever emerges from the west. No championship, though, so you should not enjoy the ride.

That's just stupid IMO. But whatever floats your boat!

No. I don't hold a Rutgers football season to the same standard as I do a New York Yankees season. Rutgers is a COLLEGE football team with a rather meager level of success, particularly vs. the Big Boys. And college football is set up way different than major league baseball. In college football there is an elite group of schools that have bigger stadiums, bigger financial resources, bigger fan bases...bigger everything. Consequently they get the best coaches, facilities, and most importantly... PLAYERS. There is no draft in college football. Year after year the same handful of schools get the best prospects at each position. And the best position coaches to help develop this talent. And they get to schedule their OOC games, mostly at home vs. vastly inferior competition....thus virtually ensuring a winning season and a bowl game. When/if RU gets to this elite level I will probably start to expect a championship season. Until then I'll settle for winning seasons and bowl games.
The Yankees and the Mets are in a very different world. They have a draft...which is supposed to help equal out the talent level. They can spend money on free agents. They play an entire schedule set up by the league, again supposedly to level the playing field. And on and on. It's a very, very different situation.
So for me a successful Yankees season is a World Series championship. Perhaps it is different for Mets fans. Perhaps they're happy to just be in it. Perhaps a championship every twenty or thirty years is just great.
Perhaps they're Buffalo Bills fans and are just happy to be in a Super Bowl. Who cares if they win it or not ? Or Jets fans who have been waiting so long...45 years...that any playoff success or just reaching the playoffs is a big deal. I don't know.
But to compare Rutgers football and what it has to compete against to win a championship....and how the deck is stacked in favor of the Big Boys in D1A football....to a professional league with a draft, an equitable schedule, and rich owners is absurd.

Last edited:
Kbee3 is such a p*ss poor fan, he's really a Temple fan, why is he still around? Oh yeah, Temple only has 3 fans.[roll]

Kbee3 is such a p*ss poor fan, he's really a Temple fan, why is he still around? Oh yeah, Temple only has 3 fans.[roll]

A Temple fan ? Really ?
You wouldn't find one Temple fan that thought I wished their team well.
And for the record, I've probably been a Rutgers fan since before you were born.

cubuffsdoug :
IMO there are Pedd St. fans in New Jersey because they are the closest program that's been competitive with the Big Boys for many, many years. Taking Rutgers seriously as a competitive top-level program is a relatively recent development.
Thank you, Greg Schiano.

ADVERTISEMENT