ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colin Cowherd: "Big Twelve Will Evaporate"

The ESPN host said today that the Big Twelve is on the verge of collapse.

Oklahoma is close to joining the SEC, while the Pac-12 will snag Texas. This will cause another round of expansion.

Not sure if this is just pure speculation or if he has a source, but interesting to hear.

http://collegespun.com/big-12/kansa...ate-with-oklahoma-joining-sec-texas-to-pac-12

I wouldn't mind seeing the B1G scoop up Oklahoma. Not sure of their value as a TV market, but renewing the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry would be pretty cool.

if legit, Oklahoma would be wise to hear the SEC and the B1G out.

Oklahoma and Kansas to the B1G would be a huge boost to the B1G West.

Purdue can move to the B1G East.

The only way I see OU picking the SEC over the B1G is if the SEC is willing to take OSU as well.

Love to see West Virigina back in conference. They have a rivalry with Maryland. Pitt and W.VA are rivals and Pitt and Penn St are rivals, so maybe there is something between Penn St and W. Va, idk. W. Va and Rutgers have something between them, they have had our number but i think both teams ge up for playing eachother these days. Also bridges the gap nicely between us and the rest of the Big 10.

Love to see West Virigina back in conference. They have a rivalry with Maryland. Pitt and W.VA are rivals and Pitt and Penn St are rivals, so maybe there is something between Penn St and W. Va, idk. W. Va and Rutgers have something between them, they have had our number but i think both teams ge up for playing eachother these days. Also bridges the gap nicely between us and the rest of the Big 10.

Don't think B1G will ever take WVU purely because of their academics. But who knows..?

Reactions: MidwestKnights
He is the same guy who predicted that UConn was going to the Big 10, some time before we were invited. Take him with a grain of salt.

Reactions: trentonrufan
if legit, Oklahoma would be wise to hear the SEC and the B1G out.

Oklahoma and Kansas to the B1G would be a huge boost to the B1G West.

Purdue can move to the B1G East.

The only way I see OU picking the SEC over the B1G is if the SEC is willing to take OSU as well.

Don't know if there is any truth to this speculation.

However, I always reasoned that the Big 12 Conference was the most vulnerable for breaking up.

When Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M left the writing was on the wall.

There are 3 schools that are AAU and they are Kansas, Texas and Iowa State. I know the B1G, Pac and ACC(maybe team with ND for 16 members) would all want Texas. I can see the B1G going after Texas and Kansas.

If the SEC wants Oklahoma I think that is where they would go. Oklahoma knows that Texas would have a home in any Conference any time they want to leave.

Where there is smoke.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I don't see any way the B1G would invite Oklahoma to join. As with WVU, the academics aren't there and it is more of a geographic reach,not contiguous with the B1G's footprint unless KU was also invited. They belong in the SEC, not the B1G.

One issue with this also not mentioned is what will happen with Oklahoma State. If both OU and TX leave, there will still be 8 schools so the conference won't evaporate and the Oklahoma legislature might prohibit OU from ditching OSU and leave them in a non-P5 conference. I can't see the SEC wanting OSU since OU delivers the Oklahoma TV market, such as it is.

Where would the other B12 members go? Among the PAC12, SEC, ACC, + B1G, there are nine total slots remaining to have four P4 conferences with 16 members each and that includes the slots for TX and OU. Who gets left out?

But what about the B12's GOR? Can that, perhaps, be tested in court? Can any of you who practice law out there comment on whether or not a GOR has a solid legal basis?

Last edited:
I don't see any way the B1G would invite Oklahoma to join. As with WVU, the academics aren't there and it is more of a geographic reach,not contiguous with the B1G's footprint unless KU was also invited. They belong in the SEC, not the B1G.

But what about the B12's GOR? Can that, perhaps, be tested in court? Can any of you who practice law out there comment on whether or not a GOR has a solid legal basis?
If the B1G could pull Texas and Oklahoma that would be a home run. You would have two equally matched divisions and would probably immediately be the most popular conference in the country.

West:
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern
Illinois

East
Penn State
Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan State
Rutgers
Maryland
Purdue
Indiana

Oklahoma is close to joining the SEC, while the Pac-12 will snag Texas. This will cause another round of expansion.

Not sure if this is just pure speculation or if he has a source, but interesting to hear.

http://collegespun.com/big-12/kansa...ate-with-oklahoma-joining-sec-texas-to-pac-12

This is what I Though would happen all along, except I didn't thing OK would go SEC, or anywhere without OK State.

I would love to know if this actually has legs

Reactions: trentonrufan
When The Big Ten Opens up and goes to 16 I assure it will be from the the WEST and not the East.

Agreed that it's highly unlikely OU could leave without OSU (they seem like SEC schools to me anyway). Texas and KU would be fine additions.

Ok State, Baylor, KST, TCU, Iowa State are in a whole lot of trouble.

When The Big Ten Opens up and goes to 16 I assure it will be from the the WEST and not the East.
I would not count out continued eastern expansion although WVU is defiantly out. I could see Virginia and Syracuse which would help solidify the NYC and Washington DC Markets. I could also see going after Virginia and North Carolina or NC State (probably be easier to lure away).

it might be all non-sense as well. So let's not get crazy..

Texas and Oklahoma to B1G would be insane. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

it might be all non-sense as well. So let's not get crazy..

Texas and Oklahoma to B1G would be insane. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
They aren't coming to the Big Ten. They are both a poor fit for the conference. Not saying that it wouldn't be a wet dream for Delany, but it's not happening. Okie has more in common with the SEC and Texas has more in common with the PAC 12.

They aren't coming to the Big Ten. They are both a poor fit for the conference. Not saying that it wouldn't be a wet dream for Delany, but it's not happening. Okie has more in common with the SEC and Texas has more in common with the PAC 12.

What does Texas have in common with California?

What does Texas have in common with California?
Baseball and softball. And they have a small amount of football history with the PAC-12 while having virtually none with the Big Ten outside of Nebraska (who they do not like). Academically, the conferences are a wash.

NEbraska would be an automatic NO vote for Texas Joining the Conference. Also I'm not sure any other Power 5 Conference would cowtow to Texas and their Longhorn Network, unless a deal was in place to absorb that the Conferences Network (BTN or PAC12 or SECN) absorbs the longhorn network. Realistically the only place I can see Texas going is the SEC since ESPN has stakes in both the SEC Network and the Longhorn Network.

NEbraska would be an automatic NO vote for Texas Joining the Conference. Also I'm not sure any other Power 5 Conference would cowtow to Texas and their Longhorn Network, unless a deal was in place to absorb that the Conferences Network (BTN or PAC12 or SECN) absorbs the longhorn network. Realistically the only place I can see Texas going is the SEC since ESPN has stakes in both the SEC Network and the Longhorn Network.

Texas will never go to the SEC, they see themselves above them. They want to go with academic peers.

I am surprised no one is mentioning the fact that the Big 12 owns the TV rights of all these schools and that this isn't happening for that reason alone.

Texas is NOT a northern school. They have much more in common with the PAC than the B1G.

The B1G needs OK more than they need the B1G. OK would be smart to get into the SEC, IMO. The South is growing, the North is less so. But if I was Delany, go after OK and Kansas hard. Leave TX out. They are not worth the misery in dealing with.

What do they have in common with either of those conferences. If it about having things in common they would stay in the Big12. The bottom line is they will go where the money is.

Reactions: ruready07
Why do people keep suggesting that the B1G will take any school that's not an AAU member? The B1G will never take Oklahoma. The B1G will never take Syracuse (heck, even if they do rejoin the AAU someday). The B1G will never take WVU.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
What do they have in common with either of those conferences. If it about having things in common they would stay in the Big12. The bottom line is they will go where the money is.
I'm not so sure about that. They already make more money than anyone else. IF they were to move, that would mean that they would be abandoning the LHN which signifies that a move would not be financially based. They are getting their teeth kicked in right now by aTm because aTm is in the hot league and Texas is stuck in one where they have to play a bunch of nobodies and Okie.

consider the source here--Cowherd...
ever since I found Dan Patrick on the radio for my morning commute (West Coast) I've completely ditched Colin...can't stand him.

Reactions: BoroKnight
I am surprised no one is mentioning the fact that the Big 12 owns the TV rights of all these schools and that this isn't happening for that reason alone.

Only realistic way around it is if enough schools leave at once that there is not enough left behind to qualify as a legitimate conference to fight it.

Reactions: American Male
Money cures that and Texas is absolutely loaded. I think their AD made something like $165 million last year.

Schools have more in common with those who can offer the best deals.

ESPN also has a 100% stake in the ACC and the ACC is a conference that already caters to Notre Dame by making an exception when it comes to joining the Conference in football. If Texas were to leave the Big 12, which I can't see until at least the GOR expiration, I could see them joining the ACC and obtaining some special deal similar to Notre Dame. Not to mention that Texas would also find at least a higher academic standard, albeit with a mixture of private universities and some large state universities, compared to the SEC.

Reactions: ruready07

If there is a scoop to be had here, its not going to Colin Cowherd. So I would say its just speculation. it slike expecting breaking news on Mike and Mike.

The SEC taking OU? That would seem obvious from one standpoint (great football school next to their existing footprint) but from the other side - its a small population sate and there is a high chance they would have to take OSU as well.)

ADVERTISEMENT