ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Cowherd Fired from ESPN

I liked Cowherds interviews with NFL analyst Greg Cosell (Howards nephew). Also liked his interviews with Bill Romanowski, who was very revealing of the steroid useage of many NFL players. Cowherd often quoted writer Malcolm Gladwell, but not sure he ever interviewed him. Probably one of the more educated , well read of the radio talk show guys, but his style obviously not for everyone. I liked him much more than Mike&Mike, Francesca, Mad Dog etc. My favorites are/were on Sirius.. Bill King, Rick Neuheisel, Gino Torretta, Chris Childers, Mike Leach when he was on, and when they interviewed Phil Steele, Savage, etc. I like Finebaum, but after a while I can't stand listening to another SEC fan.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
Listened to the clip - didn't think there was really anything wrong with what he said. This PC stuff has gone overboard.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Didn't think what he said was racist, sponsor dictated political correctness is getting out of control in this country.

Never really listened to Cowherd, anytime I did he sounded like a condescending know it all to me.

Listened to the clip - didn't think there was really anything wrong with what he said. This PC stuff has gone overboard.

I didn't listen to the clip, but read the quotes, below. Not sure how you can't see what's wrong with what he said, though, particularly the bold part of the quote. I don't think it's worth a firing, since I think it was more clumsy than mal-intentioned (especially since you could tell he knew he made a mistake in the bold sentence by following up with a much clearer statement about backgrounds/opportunities). My guess is ESPN was happy to score a few easy PR points for being "tough" since the guy was leaving, anyway. Cowherd did apologize.

“I’ve never bought into that whole ‘baseball is too complex,'” he said. “Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominion Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world-class intellectual abilities. I mean, a lot of those kids have come from rough backgrounds and have not had the opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have.”

I didn't listen to the clip, but read the quotes, below. Not sure how you can't see what's wrong with what he said, though, particularly the bold part of the quote. I don't think it's worth a firing, since I think it was more clumsy than mal-intentioned (especially since you could tell he knew he made a mistake in the bold sentence by following up with a much clearer statement about backgrounds/opportunities). My guess is ESPN was happy to score a few easy PR points for being "tough" since the guy was leaving, anyway. Cowherd did apologize.

“I’ve never bought into that whole ‘baseball is too complex,'” he said. “Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominion Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world-class intellectual abilities. I mean, a lot of those kids have come from rough backgrounds and have not had the opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have.”

Again, he should not have said what you bolded, but really more clumsy than anything racist. Some PC just goes too far.

He didn't say or imply there was anything wrong with the people of Dominican republic, that would be racist, and getting past the clumsiness, he explained what he really meant when he said they lacked academic opportunities that kids in other countries had. Would anybody dispute this?

THis was no Jimmy the Greek.

Agree ESPN used this since he was leaving anyway, they get no credit from me, they only looked insincere and manipulative.

When a high profile person gets caught up in something like this, they have no choice to apologize. He has future jobs to think about.

I don't think for a second he is really sorry, because I don't believe he thinks what he said is that bad. IMO

Reactions: RUMountie
His wording just wasn't the best. There's a way to say people don't have the same academic support without going to the extent of saying "in my lifetime this group of people aren't known to be smart." He really should have known better to not go there though.

I get the point he was trying to make but he could have gotten the same point across with less words.

ESPN has become a liberal groupthink network. They really jumped the shark with the Jenner sham.

This is just another example, of which what Cowerd actually said wasn't inaccurate. Their education system isn't great.

ESPN is making Fox Sports job easier and easier.

Al Dark got fired as the giants manager long time ago (40 years ?) for disparaging the intellect of Latino players.

Taken out of context as a single statement is a lot worse then when put into context of what he was saying. Probably could have chosen his words a little better, but certainly not grounds for being fired - maybe suspended a day or two. He qualifies the sentence by talking about their socioeconomic hardship and lack of opportunities in the next sentence. Not much of an issue with this.

Agree.

I don't listen to him but what he said was much closer to reality than insult.ESPN was looking for a reason to take him off the air.

Reactions: gnamur
Funny because I saw him interview Herbstreit earlier in the week and he said he was looking forward to leaving so he could actually talk about what he wanted to.

I will miss him
Was always an entertaining listen

Most of the other guys on ESPN radio stink. Too vanilla, too boring, too annoying

Hope to hear him again wherever he winds up

Talking about Hogan. Both got screwed in my opinion.

Hulk Hogan got screwed? Of course he should be fired once something like that became public. Blatantly racist comments aren't any better when they're said in private. No one should be arrested for their thoughts or statments but a company that relies on a multicural audience and sponsors with multicutural clienteles of course should have canned him immdeiately. But why should anyone be surprised. He's a pea-brained muscle head who about 30 years ago decked a reporter about a third of his size who dared to asked something about wrestling being fixed. For that type of bullying he should have been canned years ago. But people don't notice stuff like that unless it happens to them or their families.

Hulk Hogan got screwed? Of course he should be fired once something like that became public. Blatantly racist comments aren't any better when they're said in private. No one should be arrested for their thoughts or statments but a company that relies on a multicural audience and sponsors with multicutural clienteles of course should have canned him immdeiately. But why should anyone be surprised. He's a pea-brained muscle head who about 30 years ago decked a reporter about a third of his size who dared to asked something about wrestling being fixed. For that type of bullying he should have been canned years ago. But people don't notice stuff like that unless it happens to them or their families.

WOW!!! You said it. A PRIVATE conversation. We are all racist to a point. So now we truly do have thought police to govern our thoughts and PRIVATE conversations. George Orwell would be so proud. Ridiculous!!

WOW!!! You said it. A PRIVATE conversation. We are all racist to a point. So now we truly do have thought police to govern our thoughts and PRIVATE conversations. George Orwell would be so proud. Ridiculous!!

Well now that he is available, you can put your money where your mouth is and hire him to be the spokesman for your business now. Have fun!

Unfortunately this is the way the world is going these days. Private conversations are no longer private, and people pay a price in their business and personal lives for what was considered off the record. Just ask Donald Sterling about the sanctity of private conversations.

And is anyone surprised that Donald Trump leads in polls where the voting is anonymous ?

I don't see the issue in this context. I'll re-word it for you.

“I’ve never bought into that whole ‘baseball is too complex,'” he said. “Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. It isn't as if the average Dominican is smarter than the average American. I mean, a lot of those kids have come from rough backgrounds and have not had the opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have.”

Better than some, more annoying than many, smarter than most. Almost an Olbermann light, in some ways. Trying to show he's smarter than the average sports person a bit too much, or at least looks at things in more pseudo-intellectual ways.

Won't miss him, but then again I cut back sports radio dramatically since leaving the Northeast. (You think Francesa is bad, try listening to sports talk in a major city with no pro teams and a focus on betting. Just plain awful.)

I used to listen to Colin, but I grew tired of him as to me he became a blowhard--too busy hearing him talk when supposedly asking questions during interviews. Last year I found Dan Patrick on the radio (grew up in 90s with him and KO on SC) and I became instantly hooked...

Cowherd didn't talk just sports. Talked his share of politics, race relations, etc. Would he have been fired if he said the US was more brutal than ISIS?

And is anyone surprised that Donald Trump leads in polls where the voting is anonymous ?

Huh?

Isn't that true with anyone (with a landline) taking a poll about anything? Politics? Sports? Local issues?

Those that show up at his rallies are obviously not totally anonymous but Trump is capitalizing on the frustration by many (GOP and Independent especially) on how politicians in Washington, DC do not speak for them.

Will Trump win the GOP nomination? Maybe, maybe not...but he seems to be the only candidate now, GOP or Dem, that is building on the DC frustration across the country.

Won't miss him, but then again I cut back sports radio dramatically since leaving the Northeast. (You think Francesa is bad, try listening to sports talk in a major city with no pro teams and a focus on betting. Just plain awful.)

Are there really "major" cities that don't have any professional teams? I can't think of any "major" city that fits that category.

Also, even small towns, let alone small cities, seem to have affiliates for ESPN Radio, FOX Sports Radio or even CBS Sports Radio...so one can have access to national sports talk across the country (and of course those with sat radio have tons of options).

First time I ever heard Cowherd he was talking about coaches moving from city to city and he likened himself to them as he has worked in several big cities and talked about coaches and himself being "upwardly mobile", came off as a total douchebag.

Cowherd was just a younger version of Fatso

I know you really dislike Cowherd. ....but he and Francesca could not be more different. There enunciation, diction, discussion topics, sports knowledge base, focus etc are just about the complete opposite.

I know you really dislike Cowherd. ....but he and Francesca could not be more different. There enunciation, diction, discussion topics, sports knowledge base, focus etc are just about the complete opposite.
Really? They both thought all their callers were complete morons. Same clowns born 20 years apart

I hate this blowhard Cowherd but the faux outrage over what he said is another example of all the hypocrites who sit and judge on social media sites like twitter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT