ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Driving to Boston Friday Evening

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
We are leaving from the Sea Bright area around 4 or 5 p.m. Google Maps is sending us across the George Washington Bridge to 87 N to Hutchinson Parkway and then further North.

We expect to leave around 5 p.m. and be a the GWB by 6 p.m.

Is there a better way to go to avoid traffic?

Google maps says 4 hours 45 minutes for 262 miles. That seems a bit slow.

I drove to Boston for the first time in decades last December. Someone familiar with the ride recommended the Tappan Zee over the GW. Listen to traffic reports on the way up to decide.
I beleive the Hutch turns into the Merritt which is the way I went. Leaving New Providence at 4 PM we got hammered with a long traffic jam on the Merritt but I don't know if that was out of the ordinary.
Leaving at 5 PM will add at least an hour to the drive since you will hot traffic somewhere on that ride, maybe multiple somwheres.

I've done the trip probably 50 times.

Take the Tapp. Stay away from the GWB. The GW/Cross Broxn was great for years, but now it sucks at 2 in the afternoon or 2am.

Listen to the traffic report. Either get on he Merrit to 84 in Hartford or take 95 to 84 in Hartford.

For RU games - leaving at 7pm on a Friday night I can be in Mannions in Somerville in just under 4hrs. No stops and I am doing 73mpg.

Lastly, you're insane leaving at 5pm. Good luck

Reactions: LadyRU09
My rule of thumb is be on that bridge by 5 o'clock sharp and you're good. 5:05 you're beat. If traffic backs up way before the tolls try getting off and taking the service road entrance to cut some of it off. And have an EZ-Pass!!!!

On a Friday, good luck.

Take the Tapp. Stay away from the GWB. The GW/Cross Broxn was great for years, but now it sucks at 2 in the afternoon or 2am.

Listen to the traffic report. Either get on he Merrit to 84 in Hartford or take 95 to 84 in Hartford.

For RU games - leaving at 7pm on a Friday night I can be in Mannions in Somerville in just under 4hrs. No stops and I am doing 73mpg.

Completely agree that leaving at 5 pm on a Friday is simply nuts. However, I disagree on the GWB: it's 20 miles shorter than taking the Tappan Zee, so it's worth checking the traffic and if it's not horrible (and I get it - it usually is pretty bad), I take the GWB.

One other tip for traffic, if you didn't know: on Google Maps, you can click on the "typical traffic" button and select a time of day/day of the week and see what it's usually like. You'd never drive anywhere within 30 miles of NYC if you look at the typical traffic on a Friday at 5 pm, lol...

I do agree. If the traffic report says the GW/CBE is wide open, take it.

It was great 10yrs always taking the route.

First of all, going across the Hudson River on Friday evening is bad, no matter which way you go. As stated above, listen to the traffic reports. I prefer the GWB if the time to get across is said to be 20 minutes or less. TAKE THE LOWER DECK (no trucks allowed). You can either take the Henry Hudson Parkway to the Cross County Parkway, which turns into the Hutchinson Pkwy (North), which turns into the Merritt Pkwy in CT. If you don't want to take the Hudson Pkwy, when you go over the GWB into the Bronx, keep to the right and take I-87 (Major Deegan) north (Albany). It turns into the NY Thruway. Just after Yonkers Raceway, exit onto the Cross County Parkway, going across 3 lanes of traffic to exit on to the Parkway. Follow the Hutchinson Pkwy North signs and Merritt Parkway as mentioned above.
Just beyond Wallingford, take I-91 North to Hartford. Follow the signs to Ct 15/I-84 East. Take I-84 to the Mass Turnpike (I-90) east to Boston.

Could not agree more. STAY AWAY FROM THE GWB! Wait to you see what a treat 95 is in Connecticut.

It will take you you closer to 5.5 or 6 at that hour, but you'll get there. Diving early in the morning on sat would be a breeze. The cross Bronx sucks and CT on 95 can make you want to turn around. The northern route is longer but much more reliable. With no traffic, I take 95.

We are leaving from the Sea Bright area around 4 or 5 p.m. Google Maps is sending us across the George Washington Bridge to 87 N to Hutchinson Parkway and then further North.

Agree with Moz. I've made that trip from NJ more than 100 times as I have family in Boston. 90% of the time the Tappan Zee Bridge is far better than the GWB, but listen to the traffic reports.

Being a Middletown resident if you leave after 3PM Friday you're probably screwed on either route. Pls provide us with a recap of your drive when you get there. Good luck.

A lot of good info. Knightmoves, if we leave by 3 p.m., will we be good? I was figuring the traffic would be bad around Boston if we left earlier than 3 p.m. Maybe we'll hit the road by 2:30, and miss the Boston rush hour? I'll report back.

How earlier would we need to leave on Saturday morning if we wanted to be in Cambridge (MIT) by 9 a.m.?

As t he Bostonian RU alum I need to chime in. Wait till 8 PM to leave, then take the TZB. I have made tjis drive WAY to many times and unless you time it right it sucks. The GWB can be enraging, the trip up 95 in Conn is a horror show. Why is there always construction on that road. Once you get past Groton is ok,but from NY to there it can be a chinese water torture.

If you leave at 1 or 2 you should be safe. If you re heading to Boston/Cambridge, maybe it is best to avoid 95. I have left at 5 in the morn and made it at just after 9. Be careful going to fast in Conn. If you can get over the Hudson by 3:30 you could stop for dinner around 5:30, grab some eats and continue on.

Was in Cambridge Tuesday, the Longfellow Bridge going into Cambridge is closed, you will need to take MAss Ave to get into the People Republic of Cambridge.

Last edited:
I have also made the trip many times. My youngest daughter lives in the Jamaica Plains section of Boston.

I'm guessing about 5.5 hours door to door. Good Luck.

that's a terrible time to leave if you want to avoid traffic. You will hit a ton of traffic in CT if you leave the time you want too no matter if you take either bridge. That damn state is always congested. Honestly would recommend just take a 1/2 day at work and try to be on the road by 1/2 pm. I just got finished on a 9 week project in Hartford in which I would take the Merritt parkway back to NJ every Friday around 4pm to spend the weekend home. The traffic going north on that road is extremely congested since it is only 2 lanes and I would avoid it during rush hour times. Any other times it will be fine.

I'm going to estimate it is going to take you 6 hours if you leave during rush hour times. Just not a good time, leave either later 7PMish or take a 1/2 day of work and leave early.

You could probably comfortably do it in 4:15 in the am. I've done similar trips early trips in just over 4.

Tappan Zee to either:
  • 684 to 84 to Mass Pike, or
  • Saw Mill River Parkway (which cuts out a bunch of miles from 684), to 684, to 84, to Mass Pike.
You just never know about traffic, so put on some Pat Metheny and go for a ride!

Sounding like better to leave at 7 p.m., and hope to be in Boston by midnight or 12:30 a.m.

We need to be at MIT by 9:30 a.m. on Saturday. Maybe we can leave at 4:45 a.m. and be there no problem.

I'm glad I posted. We would have naively left around 3-4 p.m.

I agree on the Tappen Zee to 684 to 84. My sister lives in Boston and I do this often. My daughter lives in Plymouth where you almost have to take 95, and Connecticut is always a nightmare, day or night. I would never take 95n to Boston.

Sounding like better to leave at 7 p.m., and hope to be in Boston by midnight or 12:30 a.m.

We need to be at MIT by 9:30 a.m. on Saturday. Maybe we can leave at 4:45 a.m. and be there no problem.

I'm glad I posted. We would have naively left around 3-4 p.m.

If you don't have to be at MIT until 9:30 am, then just leave at 5 am and take the GWB - as I said, above, it'll save you 20 miles and should not be a traffic issue around 6 am (but you'd be nuts not to monitor traffic and have backup routes planned, because you just never know when an accident or construction will pop up, especially in the "Construction State.").

Also, 95 to 15 to 91 to 84 to 90 is the fastest route. It's 265 miles from Sea Bright and you ought to be able to do it in 4 hours without too much trouble (I've made it in under 3.5 hours from Metuchen, 245 miles away, when leaving that early on a weekend or late at night, in general).

If you don't have to be at MIT until 9:30 am, then just leave at 5 am and take the GWB - as I said, above, it'll save you 20 miles and should not be a traffic issue around 6 am (but you'd be nuts not to monitor traffic and have backup routes planned, because you just never know when an accident or construction will pop up, especially in the "Construction State.").

Also, 95 to 15 to 91 to 84 to 90 is the fastest route. It's 265 miles from Sea Bright and you ought to be able to do it in 4 hours without too much trouble (I've made it in under 3.5 hours from Metuchen, 245 miles away, when leaving that early on a weekend or late at night, in general).

I think that will be the way to do it. I was not too excited about staying in a hotel Friday night anyway. Sounds like leaving a little before 5 a.m. will be pretty easy. Google maps suggests 95 to 15 to 91 to 84 to 90.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Sort of unrelated, but when you're in Cambridge, go to Toscanini's for ice cream (not too far from MIT). The flavors are unique and amazing. They let you sample as much as you want.

Thank your very lucky stars you didn't leave in the evening, especially on a Friday! Saturday morning is a much wiser choice.

My son went to college in Boston and now lives in Charlestown so we took that trip many times. Avoid the GW and go with the Tappan Zee. Suggest you download WAZE on your phone and listen to it. Good luck!

- Download waze for real time traffic, and make sure you have a charger as it will suck up your battery

- Take GSP to the end, Tap to 684 to 84 to Mass Pike. Plan on this route and let Waze guide you around any jams

Smart move leaving at 5am. Listen to the traffic right before you leave. If the GW/CBE is wide open: TAKE IT. 4hr tops to Boston.

Last edited:
Want to make a special note: CT-15 has many rest stops; 684 doesn't have much. You'll probably have to go in between, unless you lay off the coffee while driving.

Another money saving tidbit--gas up in NJ, even if it means topping off at Vince Lombardi on Tpke or the last station on GSP. Gas is sky high in NY, CT and MASS. There is a relatively cheap station in Mass (Pilot) at exit 1 on I-84.

Yanks are hosted Orioles at 7:10 on Friday. You don't wan to be crossing the GW at 6 PM. Plus GW toll is $14. Tappan Zee is $5.

I drove there a couple months ago.. Took the Tappen Zee to 684 to 84 to the mass pike. Be prepared to get stuck in bad traffic in Connecticut at some point.

Please....take the train

I forgot to mention - whatever you do get a good nights sleep before.

I haven't gotten hooked on Waze yet but it seems to invite more distracted driving then google maps. I assume google is passively tracking travel times vs Waze user updates, or is Waze mainly used for speed trap avoidance? I've heard high praise from a few people.

I forgot to mention - whatever you do get a good nights sleep before.

I haven't gotten hooked on Waze yet but it seems to invite more distracted driving then google maps. I assume google is passively tracking travel times vs Waze user updates, or is Waze mainly used for speed trap avoidance? I've heard high praise from a few people.

Waze was great about alerting for accidents, police and potholes. I did not find it distracting. My Audi navigation was sending me up 95, and WAZE SENT US UP 15/91/84/90.

Will probably roll out of here around 2 p.m. and I think we will hit the Tappan Zee to avoid the NY Yankee traffic.

Waze not so good on the way back. First, I got dumped into Boston because of constructions on Main Street in Cambridge. I was going to ignore Waze and take the Tappan Zee, but followed it. It was stop and go for a good part of 15 South and near the bridge. 4:40 for the way home.

Thanks for all the tips. We hit Miracle of Science for lunch-their menu is on periodic table of elements. And icecream at Toscanini's was a solid recommendation. Great day.

It was Scratch day at MIT. Anybody else's kids program on Scratch?

Reactions: LadyRU09
Another money saving tidbit--gas up in NJ, even if it means topping off at Vince Lombardi on Tpke or the last station on GSP. Gas is sky high in NY, CT and MASS. There is a relatively cheap station in Mass (Pilot) at exit 1 on I-84.

I fueled up my diesel SUV before leaving. On long trips, I get 650-700 miles per tank. Still driving on Saturday's fuel.

ADVERTISEMENT