ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EPL Soccer fans

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
(Or fans of other international clubs)...

Just curious how you developed an allegiance to your favorite EPL team, being that most of us haven't spent much time in England.

I am not a soccer fan,but my best friend is a huge Everton fan. I watch them once in a while since the goalie,Tim Howard,is from New Jersey. Go Changs !

(Or fans of other international clubs)...

Just curious how you developed an allegiance to your favorite EPL team, being that most of us haven't spent much time in England.
My sister lives in Manchester and I didnt want to be a bandwagon Man U fan, so I picked Man City instead. Which worked out because they got really good right after that.

Chelsea. Combo of they are on TV a lot when EPL first started gaining popularity around here, one of my friends had already adopted them and all the teams I like wear blue besides Rutgers.

Man United actually had a relationship with the Yankees (before City got involved), which piqued my interest, but I had already found them interesting based on their history (i.e. Munich & the 99 Treble). Then when WC06 happened, the big news was the Ronaldo/Rooney dust up (i.e. Ronaldo helped encourage the ref to give Rooney a red card after he stamped on Carvalho) made it more interesting. It was then that I found Fox Soccer Channel and cemented my love of the game & team.

Liverpool. My roommate in law school played soccer in college and is a big Liverpool fan so I blame him.

I've been a Real Madrid fan from the days of Roberto Carlos, Hierro, Morientes...

but for the EPL, i'm still developing my fandom. Been watching so much EPL the last couple of seasons now that NBCSN carries games...right now, leaning towards rooting for one of the North londoners...Spurs or Arsenal...knowing full well that once I decide, I have to hate the other. For me, it's about style of football, sensible management...and partly the underdog/hard-luck status that those two squads have amongst the Chelsea, City, and United trifecta.

Reactions: wcfan10
Spurs - wanted a big club but not a traditional (or new money) powerhouse, didn't want to root for a team that would be relegated and wanted to be able to see them fairly frequently on TV (before NBC negotiated the rights and every game is available on some sort of media). Also wanted a team that I could go see live, meaning I wanted them in London - of course, the one time I went to England to see them I went to an away game at United and sat in the visitors' section at Old Trafford.

That was a number of years ago and, after Rutgers football, Spurs are the team that I follow most closely. Have seen them a couple of times here in the US and once in England.

Reactions: ron313
I've been a Real Madrid fan from the days of Roberto Carlos, Hierro, Morientes...

but for the EPL, i'm still developing my fandom. Been watching so much EPL the last couple of seasons now that NBCSN carries games...right now, leaning towards rooting for one of the North londoners...Spurs or Arsenal...knowing full well that once I decide, I have to hate the other. For me, it's about style of football, sensible management...and partly the underdog/hard-luck status that those two squads have amongst the Chelsea, City, and United trifecta.

Come On You Spurs!!!!

Reactions: rutger80 and ron313
I will also add that I went to a game at Selhurst Park last year and if I didn't have a previous infatuation with Spurs I would have instantly become a Palace supporter. The Palace fans were great, so much singing and so much fun - helps that they put a whooping on QPR 3-1 in a dominating fashion. But you could feel the bond between the fans and their team. Was a fantastic experience.

When we went to Old Trafford, my brother and my father sat in a home section while I was in the away for Spurs. They were unimpressed with the fan support there in comparison to Selhurst Park. Granted Selhurst Park is much smaller and more intimate so it's not quite a fair comparison but was an observation made by two impartial attendees.

Liverpool. My roommate in law school played soccer in college and is a big Liverpool fan so I blame him.
Something about Liverpool made me dislike them from the beginning (maybe my RU fandom causes me to immediately dislike a team who, like ND or PSU, is living off a reputation built decades ago) and that made me start following Everton.

Something about Liverpool made me dislike them from the beginning (maybe my RU fandom causes me to immediately dislike a team who, like ND or PSU, is living off a reputation built decades ago) and that made me start following Everton.

Liverpool fan here - Grandmother grew up in Liverpool...

In addition to Liverpool and Rutgers, I'm also a Mets fan so figure that...

You'll never walk alone!

WEST HAM 'TILL I DIE! Picked them up about 10 years ago, fit the bill of my other sports teams- middle of the road, win some/lose some, always passionate. Have since become a huge fan- followed them through relegation and then return to the Prem. (Trust me, there is nothing in sports like fighting off relegation!) Went to my first "home" game in London this past April. There is a bar in lower Manhattan where about 30-50 supporters gather for games- great atmosphere (singing, drinking, insulting the Spurs supporters, etc.).

Being able to see games live through NBC and follow them on Twitter has made it as easy to follow as if they were based in NYC. COYI!

Liverpool fan here, I fell in love with the traditions, history, passion and Steven Gerrard. I got in a little while after their last champions league trophy (not right after though) so it definitely wasn't the best timing. Now I'm in for better or worse, care way too much like with Rutgers sports. Went on a trip to Europe this year and started in Liverpool and it was amazing. Great city, great stadium etc. I was fortunate enough to find tickets last minute (they're ridiculously hard to get, even months in advance) and it was a dream come true. Wife loved the city too and I'm already figuring out excuses so we can go back.

Got an Arsenal hat as a kid at Soccer 'n Stix on Rt 18 - didn't know anything about the team at the time but like the military so it fit....then I read fever pitch and watched Berkamp, Viera, and Henry...hooked.

COYS, Spurs fan here also. Like Tuffer said, big team that's not the biggest spending team. Didn't hurt to have Deuce there, and Bale also. Pics of new stadium look great too.

Like other pro sports, I don't really have a favorite, per se - just like seeing good matches and great players. Have a slight interest in Chelsea, only because I really liked Drogba when he was there the first time around. And I'll always go out of my way to watch Messi - the guy is simply a magician. My only real rooting interest is Rutgers.

My team in Freehold was called the Blackburn Rovers...so naturally, we all followed them from the very beginning (even though by that time, they were in Div II, present day Champions League).

Rovers won the EPL in '95...but when the money game started being norm...Rovers didn't have the $$ to keep some stars, let alone trying to get new ones.

Some proud franchise are in the Champions League (QPR is back in it again, Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham, Bolton and others).

Long term bar back at my favorite watering hole in Philly was a London native but a huge Everton fan. They used to have early morning viewing parties and it became natural for me to follow them. Some have been to that bar for Rutgers Watch Parties, O'Neal' s 3rd and South and most likely saw the Everton memorabilia downstairs.

A Real Madrid fan here but way before R Carlos, Hierro, Morientes, Sanchis, etc...

In terms of EPL, I follow Manchster City simply because of David Silva. A magician as he is called. Terrific player and even nicer as a person..

A good friend of mine "dragged" me to London in 2008 to see a Spurs vs. West ham game at White hart Lane. So I follow Tottenham more than any other team probably. But I'm a casual fan. I also like Everton and Crystal Palace among a few others. The only teams I live and die with are Rutgers and the US men's national team.

I am having a hard time picking a team. I watch the epl every weekend and just like watching good teams and players. I am leaning towards arsenal since I am hoping Gideon breaks through there soon.

Newcastle for me, and no it's not because of the beer (which I quite enjoy). It's actually mostly from Goal: The Movie, a terrible terrible soccer movie from the mid 2000s. I then played with them in FIFA a few times, read up on them, and it was a done deal.

Little did I know that their owner was worse than the fricken Wilpons.

I follow Chelsea. I have a relatives that live in Surrey very close to where "The Blues" have their training facility. Have been to the facility several times when they have done some community "football" training for local youth teams.

Been to a few matches at Stamford Bridge Stadium, which is a great venue to watch soccer. The club is attempting to expand the stadium but is meeting resistance as it is in a built-up area.

Last edited:
My dad went on a business trip to London and got me an arsenal jersey because they had won the epl championship while he was there so they have always been my team since then. Got to go to Emirates a few years ago which was awesome.

West Ham could always use a few more good hooligans. (There are multiple movies out there about West Ham hooligans/firm, with this one starring Elijah Wood the most popular one)

Borussia Dortmund. Echte Liebe! I prefer the Bundesliga and German football to the EPL and England frankly. Better crowds and scoring and Germany is way more successful on the international stage than England. But if I am watching EPL clubs I typically will route for Arsenal and Everton. Of course, with Schweinsteiger now at Man Utd. I would like to see him do well there.

As a brit, this thread makes me cringe. And did someone actually say that fulham has a proud history??? (English football clubs are not "franchises" by the way).

Like someone above said about West Ham - they fit with us Rutgers and Jets fans as they sometimes flirt with greatness but spend most of their time treading water....hell listen to the actual words of the I'm forever blowing bubbles song - it's about getting kicked in the balls...

Reactions: famousbill19
I am having a hard time picking a team. I watch the epl every weekend and just like watching good teams and players. I am leaning towards arsenal since I am hoping Gideon breaks through there soon.

Gedion is going to have a helluva go at finding time at Arsenal anytime soon. Arsenal's new 17 year old kid, Reine-Adelaide seems to be impressing Wenger at the same position.

Like someone above said about West Ham - they fit with us Rutgers and Jets fans as they sometimes flirt with greatness but spend most of their time treading water....hell listen to the actual words of the I'm forever blowing bubbles song - it's about getting kicked in the balls...

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air.
They fly so high,
They reach the sky,
Then like my dreams,
They fade and die.
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,
I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air.

EPL (and La Liga) are the best leagues in the world. But I support MLS because I want to see American soccer thrive. Could care less about the Brits and Spaniards.

huh??? You can't watch both? How would watching the EPL hurt the MLS?

I think when the previous poster said "supports the MLS", maybe that meant attending games (i.e. most in the US can't/don't fly to England to watch EPL) and/or watch some MLS games in later afternoon/night...when EPL games are over (i.e. especially since MLS TV ratings are still fairly low...even though they are improving).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT