ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Finding 55+ communities that allow pets in CNJ is frustrating.

Exit117

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2003
I guess me and my wife are in the minority of old farts that want to take their dog with them into retirement. I've found a pretty nice community in Freehold,"RainTree" a 18 and over community with eveyrthing we want except being close to the train for my youngest son to take advantage of. His commute is long enough as it is. Hard to believe with freight train tracks running right through Freehold, that NJTransit doesn't feel there would be enough ridership to reinstate a passenger line back on those tracks. There has been an explosion of growth in the area of that freight line, and if potential home buyers knew a train to North Jersey or NYC was available in that area,it would fuel even more real estate growth.

This post was edited on 3/8 9:44 AM by Exit117

Freehold should have a decent bus going to NYC. Check Academy and Coach as well as NJT. I see signs for Freehold at Port. From NB it's 45 mins so I would guess the bus ride from Freehold would be slightly north of 1 hour.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If you're concerned about your son's commute to Manhattan, I'd look north of Freehold. From your front door to his desk you're probably looking at a minimum of 90 minutes each way unless you live next to the bus stop and his office is in the Port Authority.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

55 is an old fart? I am not 55, but I can't imagine wanting to move into one of those 55+ places at 55 or even 60. Maybe 70, but as long as health permits, I would rather be in a neighborhood with a mix of age groups. Different stroke for different folks. . .

But you may want to read the Yelp reviews on Raintree. Not exactly glowing. Some of these places have homeowner's associations that are run by miserable old farts that like to selectively enforce the rules.

Raintree Reviews

In 1990 my dad said the same thing about the passenger train. Tell your son to get used to the bus.

Look in Aberdeen or S Amboy if you are worried about a commute

for 55+ check out Riviera in East Windsor. There is a bus nearby on 130 to NY. Then again, this is your retirement home and not your son's.

I'm pretty sure Rolling Meadows in Ocean Township, and Jumping Brook in Neptune allow dogs. Not sure about Cedar Village.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT