ADVERTISEMENT

OT: fishing in OBX

fischy5000

All Conference
Dec 11, 2008
Hey all - sorry for the OT, but wanted to seek suggestions for a fishing outing in OBX (at the end of August).
There will be 2-3 adults and 1 or 2 younger kids (around 5yrs old). Does anyone have any suggestions on charter companies they like/trust? (where you have 4-6 people as opposed to the large boats that heard you on like cattle with 50+ people at a time) The goal is to catch fish you could eat for dinner, but nothing too specific.
We'll be in Corolla and I guess need to drive south to where most/all the fishing boats are docked but probably wouldnt want to go past the Nags Head/Roanoke island area. This would probably be a 1/2 day trip so nothing in the tuna/marlin/shark type range. Thank you!

I'm not familiar with the charters in the OBX area, although I know others are based on previous discussion.

The one thing to point out as that you're looking for the distinction between a "6-pack" and a "head boat". The former is licensed for no more than 6 passengers, the latter up to 50. So keep that in mind when making your guest list, since if you come up with 7 people you'll move yourself out of the 6-pack range.

why go out in a boat? I hear the shark fishing off the beach is in full swing..

ok seriously now..while I do not have any specific reco's I think you have to drive further south a bit to the Oregon Inlet..on the right just before the bridge over the inlet. Beautiful on the beach parking and partying right there as well (by car I mean). Inlet where they are filming Wicked Tuna from Outer Banks season.

OBX is a long stretch of sand.

I'm intimately familiar with what is considered the "northern beaches" which, as you need not be Magellan to surmise, are the beaches in the northern half of the state...hardy har har.

I would classify that as Oregon Inlet north to the Virginia border. I've fished out of there several times, on charters and on private boats.

As indicated, Oregon Inlet is the main hub of charter action. You can do either or out of there...jump on what we might call a party boat--pack a small cooler, some lunch and sunscreen and motor out for a half day of fishing. They will provide bait, tackle and ice storage for your catch. For a few bucks, the mate will even clean your catch.

If you want a legit open water charter, you can go out of Oregon Inlet, the main dock in Manteo or out of Pirates Cove Marina. You'll see million dollar tuna boats lined up in Pirates Cove like soldiers. It really is a site when you go over the bridge.

If you are staying further north (Southern Shores, Duck or Corolla) there are charters that go out sound side up there. I've never done one of those, but reviews are generally good.

If you are staying south of Oregon Inlet (ie: south of the national seashore) I'm not really your man for details. I only know those areas from drives to and from Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke.

Drop some more specific info here and I'll be happy to add more.

Some things to consider are:

Where do you plan on making your home base? Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk and Southern Shores are all easy drives down to Oregon Inlet or Manteo (Pirates Cove is located on your way from the barrier islands over to Manteo, so real geographical difference). Staying anywhere north of Southern Shores and the drive to Oregon Inlet needs to be factored into your calculus, if you plan on fishing every day.

Are you just looking to wet a line or are you a looking for the Cecil the Lion of the sea? If you want to try and hook a sailfish or a big tuna, and will be pissed if you don't, you need to be more focused in your search for a captain and boat.

Are you bringing your own gear? or similar to above, are you just looking to hang out for a half a day?

Surf fishing is in a lull for July to August. Limited action along the beach for small blues, stripers, croakers and spot. Better fishing at the inlets. If you fish the Nags Head pier you'll see much of the same fish plus king mackerel. Off-shore fishing from Oregon Inlet charters focus on tuna which can run pretty well depending on conditions. It's a short ride to the Gulf Stream and easy access to good fishing. Cobia, wahoo and jacks can be found too. Charters can run between $400 and $600 based on number in party and distance you want to travel. Good striper fishing around the Mateo causeway, but the season doesn't open until October 1 so you cannot keep your catch.

Many fisherman hit the OBX surf in the early spring and late fall to catch the big strippers and blues that migrate at these times of year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT