Votes: 97 59.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Pacquiao by KO/TKO

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Pacquiao by Decision

Votes: 18 11.0%

• Total voters
Whatever lol. Yeah I won't buy it because I am poor.

They hype up some fight almost monthly. Don King and his ilk are the scum under the pond scum. They have lied and stolen hundreds of millions from the public and their clients. It a giant scam. If you can't see it you need help.

PT Barnum is a piker compared to them.
Don King hasn't been involved in any of the big PPV cards recently. So maybe you're thinking Bob Arum who at least Mayweather was smart enough to recognize as a crook a long time ago. Most of the big cards right now are him or more often Golden Boy promotions.

I watched the Wlad Klitshko fight over the weekend and I still say he's not all that good, and has largely taken advantage of what is now a very weak crop of heavyweights. I think the guy he fought(Jennings) could have given him real problems if he had started out the fight with more aggression. Like the guy in the prelim. He lost but never stopped winging punches.

You will see a different Floyd on Saturday. He knows that it can't go to a decision. When Floyd is called out, he normally steps it up a notch.

You will see a different Floyd on Saturday. He knows that it can't go to a decision. When Floyd is called out, he normally steps it up a notch.
I'm hoping for a stoppage too and I think it very well could happen. Manny is no defensive technician and will be there to be hit with right hands. And then I hope Roger knocks out Freddie Roach.

Whatever lol. Yeah I won't buy it because I am poor.

They hype up some fight almost monthly. Don King and his ilk are the scum under the pond scum. They have lied and stolen hundreds of millions from the public and their clients. It a giant scam. If you can't see it you need help.

PT Barnum is a piker compared to them.

Lol. Don King?? I love all the people who do not follow boxing, have no idea what they are talking about, and cannot wait to share their opinion. Btw - I agree that Don King is scum, but he has not been relevant in a headline fight in a long time.

Greatest matches of the 21st century says nothing.

How much 21st century boxing have you watched? I see people with this opinion all the time, but they don't actually watch the matches. The reality is that there have been some incredible fights the past few years, they have just been sparsely watched by the general public. The action now is in the middle weights, but a lot of Americans are pre-programmed from the 70's to think that heavyweight is the only thing the matters. Heck, the fight of the year probably happened 2 weeks ago between Provodnikov and Mathysse, but I'll bet you didn't even know about it.

I don't follow boxing these days, and I'm dating myself, but the hype reminds me of Hagler-Leonard. Hagler supposedly unstoppable and Leonard past his prime. Hoping for the same type of result with wily veteran Pacquaio outlasting Mayweather. But maybe it will be Hagler-Hearns redux, where Hagler went right at Hearns to try to finish him off quickly. I don't think that would bode well for Pacquaio.

it'll be some controversial ending so they can drag it out another two fights.

I don't think it will be close. Pacquiao is not in his prime..but honestly, I don't follow boxing enough to speak with any certainty..just a feeling..

Mayweather is 38 and Pacquiao is 36. Age should not be a factor, both are past their prime.

I think it is important to understand the difference between past their prime and washed up. Tom Brady isn't in his prime anymore but he just won a Superbowl. Tim Duncan/Tony Parker/Manu Ginobili weren't in their prime when they won a title last year. Granted those are team sports, but Manny is coming off dominant wins over Bradley, Rios, and Algieri who are all respected fighters in the sport.

Regardless, this is the best fight that could be made in the sport. The #1 and #2 Pound for Pound fighters squaring off.

I just can't understand why people are trying to downplay that regardless if you think Mayweather will win easily. It's still the best fight that can be made.

I think that is the point. Both of these guys are passed their prime and it is still the best fight that can made. Boxing just doesn't have it right now. This is a fight that should have been made 5-8 years ago.

Boxing needs more talented guys to generate the consistent, overall interest that it used to have.

Unfortunately I see a convincing 12 round Dec for Mayweather

yes, I think the fight could actually wind up boring, with neither fighter getting hurt bad, and round after round Mayweather just outpoints him, landing more jabs, Pac attempting power punches....but not landing enough...

best fights I had to see at a movie house, well before ppv......Hagler/Hearns....a no nonsense, punch out till one or the other drops...

the thrilla in Manila was quite good also......but you lose a bit because you could never hear the commentary

I'm with you. I wouldn't pay $90 to watch a Rutgers game on television. There is no way in the world I would pay $90 to watch a fight. I don't understand the boxing audience model at all.

I'll pick Mayweather to win, as a very casual boxing observer, just because Pacquiao feels past his prime. But I won't go out of my way to look for the result.

A big +1 on this ^^^

I think that is the point. Both of these guys are passed their prime and it is still the best fight that can made. Boxing just doesn't have it right now. This is a fight that should have been made 5-8 years ago.

Boxing needs more talented AMERICAN guys to generate the consistent, overall interest that it used to have in AMERICA.

I think the reality is that the truth looks more like this. There are some super talented fighters right now...the best in a long time. Kovalev and Triple G are absolute dynamos. Cotto is looking the best he ever has working with Freddie Roach who finally has his head on straight. But no one seems to really care outside of boxing fans. I don't think any boxing fan would agree that "this is the best fight that can be made" from the standpoint of the best actual matchup. The best fight would be the undefeated champ Mayweather, to take a challenge and move UP to a catch weight to fight Cotto or Golovkin, instead of moving down to face pacquiao, finally, after pacquiao is no longer himself. Of course, Mayweather wants no part of Golovkin. This is simply the most high profile fight that can be made, given the two boxers histories, and the fact that it has been in the making for nearly a decade. The second best fight right now would probably be Kovalev vs. Adonis Stevenson.

Aside from a lack of American champions, boxing is killed by the fact that there are multiple sanctioning bodies, and few meaningful ways to compel the best boxers to fight each other. It makes it really hard on the true fans, who want to see the best fight the best. A big part of the issue is that the origins of the sport put too much value on undefeated champions. The general population has no interest unless the fighters are undefeated. Undefeated champions get PPV events. 1 and 2 loss fighters do not. Not other sport has this notion that you only have worth if you are undefeated. As a result, boxing fans suffer, while boxers try harder to preserve their records than they do to create the best matchups. A loss will cost them far too much, and set them back way too far in what is already a short career. I don't blame Floyd, but in no way has he ever tried to fight the best. He has always put his record first, and he has made a hell of a lot of money doing it.

Reactions: bscharf
Hopefully will be a good fight, but it amazes me how anyone can root for this loser Mayweather: claiming he's better than Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson, giving $10M to Suge Knight to bail him out of jail if he wins the fight, and now insisting that Pacman's cup be checked?

I think the reality is that the truth looks more like this. There are some super talented fighters right now...the best in a long time. Kovalev and Triple G are absolute dynamos. Cotto is looking the best he ever has working with Freddie Roach who finally has his head on straight. But no one seems to really care outside of boxing fans. I don't think any boxing fan would agree that "this is the best fight that can be made" from the standpoint of the best actual matchup. The best fight would be the undefeated champ Mayweather, to take a challenge and move UP to a catch weight to fight Cotto or Golovkin, instead of moving down to face pacquiao, finally, after pacquiao is no longer himself. Of course, Mayweather wants no part of Golovkin. This is simply the most high profile fight that can be made, given the two boxers histories, and the fact that it has been in the making for nearly a decade. The second best fight right now would probably be Kovalev vs. Adonis Stevenson.

Aside from a lack of American champions, boxing is killed by the fact that there are multiple sanctioning bodies, and few meaningful ways to compel the best boxers to fight each other. It makes it really hard on the true fans, who want to see the best fight the best. A big part of the issue is that the origins of the sport put too much value on undefeated champions. The general population has no interest unless the fighters are undefeated. Undefeated champions get PPV events. 1 and 2 loss fighters do not. Not other sport has this notion that you only have worth if you are undefeated. As a result, boxing fans suffer, while boxers try harder to preserve their records than they do to create the best matchups. A loss will cost them far too much, and set them back way too far in what is already a short career. I don't blame Floyd, but in no way has he ever tried to fight the best. He has always put his record first, and he has made a hell of a lot of money doing it.
Mayweather didn't move anywjhere to fight Pacquaio. This fight is at welterweight where he's fought for years with the exception of the occasional fight against a 154lber like Alvarez. And even those occasions he never weighed in at more than like 151-152 which is his walk around weight. As for Cotto he has to show more than beating an old one-legged fighter like the former champ Martinez before I give him a ton of credit. And if you're gonna talk about walking away from challenges. Why did Cotto slide past Alavarez to take on some far lesser fighter? Mayweather moved up to take him on. That's the kind of selective bias that kills me. To that point instead of talking about Mayweather taking on a much naturally bigger man in Golovkin, why not suggest Golovking going up to face the undefeated Andre Ward if he wants a challenge. Again; because it doesn't fit your narrative. Mayweather is not even big for a welterweight and you're talking about why doesn't he go up to face a guy who would surely walk into the ring at about 165lbs. And if your going to mention guys who are immensely talented but largely under the radar, remember that Terrence Crawford won fighter of the year honors in 2014.

Hopefully will be a good fight, but it amazes me how anyone can root for this loser Mayweather: claiming he's better than Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson, giving $10M to Suge Knight to bail him out of jail if he wins the fight, and now insisting that Pacman's cup be checked?
First of all that Suge Knight story has been certified as bullshit. But hey it was on the internet so...........
Also his opinion is one that he's entitled to. Not everyone liked Ali who I was a huge fan of always proclaiming himself the greatest. No matter how much people like to try to act like they revered him now. Mike Tyson proclaimed himself the baddest man on the planet and said no one could beat him. The same Mike Tyson who is now running off at the mouth because Mayweather made similar claims. Only difference is that Tyson started getting his ass kicked as soon as he started to face guys who weren't intimidated and actually fought him. Again I was a big Ali fan. One of only two in my family along with my Dad. All the rest of my family hated him. So I do have to mention that he did lose to Leon Spinks in his 7th pro fight. Arguably lost to Jimmy Young who was nobody's pick as an all-timer. And then there was Ken Norton.

Mayweather didn't move anywjhere to fight Pacquaio. This fight is at welterweight where he's fought for years with the exception of the occasional fight against a 154lber like Alvarez. And even those occasions he never weighed in at more than like 151-152 which is his walk around weight. As for Cotto he has to show more than beating an old one-legged fighter like the former champ Martinez before I give him a ton of credit. And if you're gonna talk about walking away from challenges. Why did Cotto slide past Alavarez to take on some far lesser fighter? Mayweather moved up to take him on. That's the kind of selective bias that kills me. To that point instead of talking about Mayweather taking on a much naturally bigger man in Golovkin, why not suggest Golovking going up to face the undefeated Andre Ward if he wants a challenge. Again; because it doesn't fit your narrative. Mayweather is not even big for a welterweight and you're talking about why doesn't he go up to face a guy who would surely walk into the ring at about 165lbs. And if your going to mention guys who are immensely talented but largely under the radar, remember that Terrence Crawford won fighter of the year honors in 2014.

Wow. You are obviously a big Mayweather fan.

I don't have any anti-Mayweather agenda. My only "narrative" was that boxing is great right now, and that people knocking boxing, saying there are no good fighters, and the best fight that could be made was a 5 years too late matchup between Mayweather and Pacquiao, have no idea what they are talking about.

I was simply suggesting that Mayweather-Pacquiao is not the best fight that COULD be made right now. The other fights I suggested (Mayweather-Cotto, Mayweather-Golovkin) would, in my opinion, be better fights if they took place this weekend. That was my real point. Just defending the sport to the non-fans. I am not saying Mayweather is somehow obligated to fight those fights, he has very legitimate reasons no to. But the best actual fight you could make would almost always be the best P4P fighter fighting someone heavier than they are.

I wanted to mention Crawford, but my posts tend to ramble on enough. I am a big fan of his. Really hope he continues to win. I enjoyed watching him kick that guys ass a couple weeks ago.

I asked my Filipino friend if he thinks Pac can win. He doesn't think so, but wrote a really nice Facebook post about how Pac has invested so much into improving his country's infrastructure.

yes, I think the fight could actually wind up boring, with neither fighter getting hurt bad, and round after round Mayweather just outpoints him, landing more jabs, Pac attempting power punches....but not landing enough...

----------

I think I nailed it here, unfortunately..........this is what you get when you have a very skilled defensive boxer with a quick jab, vs an aging but also skilled brawler.......nine out of ten times you get such a fight, UNLESS the dancer wants to make a statement some time during the fight....which Mayweather did not.....

As long as MAyweather was content to out point pac man the fans will not see an exciting bout

This was a very boring fight with Mayweather running from one corner to the next. Will never again waste my time watching a Mayweather fight. Technical boxing my a**! More like a fighter running away from a punch until he can collect his $$.

This was a very boring fight with Mayweather running from one corner to the next. Will never again waste my time watching a Mayweather fight. Technical boxing my a**! More like a fighter running away from a punch until he can collect his $$.

Supposedly we are finding out that PAC reinjuried his right shoulder during the third round

Eddy - in boxing you are not suppose to get punched. Did you want him to just stand there for your amusement Mayweather boxed brilliantly and got the W.

Eddy - in boxing you are not suppose to get punched. Did you want him to just stand there for your amusement Mayweather boxed brilliantly and got the W.

True, but it made for a boring fight that a lot of fans wish they did not spend a lot of money to see.....they envisioned a much more actioned packed fight.........it would have added to Mayweathers rep if he would have tried to take Pac man out......Ray Leonard fought much the same, but when he stunned Hearns he would go for the kill

well anyone who has seen or read about any of mayweathers last 47 fights knows this is his style so not sure what people expected differently this time.
He is not a fighter who looks for the knockout.

well anyone who has seen or read about any of mayweathers last 47 fights knows this is his style so not sure what people expected differently this time.
He is not a fighter who looks for the knockout.

Fair enough, but then I don't think he should command the payday that he does.....he deserves a very high place in the history of boxing....and yes, the public was willing to give him that money, but they probably expected more out of him, foolishly....

The people that say all Mayweather did was run are retarded. It's called defense and not getting hit. Floyd could have knocked him out last night if he cared enough. Wasn't even close.

Boring fight but that was to be expected from Mayweather who is a classic boxer moreso than a fighter that wants to exchange punches at center ring.His undefeated record speaks for itself.

If continuous holding was Illegal, the outcome may have been different. Paciquao needed to get significantly close to Floyd (because of much shorter reach ) to land legitimate shots. But just about everytime he entered striking distance Floyd would wrap his arms around Pac so he couldn't throw punches. Sucks that they allow this, but it is what it is

The people that say all Mayweather did was run are retarded. It's called defense and not getting hit. Floyd could have knocked him out last night if he cared enough. Wasn't even close.

You don't know that Mayweather could have done this. In fact, just stating that makes you "retarded".

The fact is that Mayweather or should we call him "Mayrunner" style is boring for the regular boxing spectator.

Lets do a few Mayweather jokes... :>)

2843CEA700000578-0-image-a-2_1430645029313.jpg

Another good one

2843D76300000578-3066042-image-m-15_1430646437178.jpg

So you throw more punches, land almost twice as many, land a much higher precentage of both jabs and power shots and there's some controversy after you win. Umm okay. You guys talked about Pac for years. Well guess what he turned out to be just like the others. Not good enough. Deal with it!!

My friend predicted the outcome correctly. (Forgot to say in my last post that he and his brother went to Vegas last year to see Pacman beat Bradley)

Another good statement about the fight: Mayweather was supposed to hug his woman and punch the guy in the ring, not the other way around!

If you are a Mayweather fan, then there is nothing that can be said that will make you see different so by all means go ahead and gloat. But if you are not biased here are the simple truths:
1. Mayweather uses a strategy that combined with his natural skill can be very effective.
2. I've boxed, I'm a big boxing fan, but Mayweather's style of fighting is extremely boring. It's not even fair to call it fighting. It's grabbing and running with enough occasional jabs and counter punches to slightly win a round.
3. While other boxers can appreciate his skill, most boxers don't like to watch it any more than casual fans.
4. Most fans of Mayweather are more fans of his hype and style outside of the ring than in it. Matter of fact, that's why he needs the hype. If he tried to market himself only on his fighting, no one would buy his events.
5. I wanted Pacquiao to win, but I predicted that Mayweather would do so. I felt that he was a faster runner which proved to be true.
6. I think that Braxton Miller should become a professional boxer. He may be one of the few athletes out there who can avoid contact at the same level. I think that he could run faster than Mayweather as well. It would be a good match.

My friend predicted the outcome correctly. (Forgot to say in my last post that he and his brother went to Vegas last year to see Pacman beat Bradley)

Another good statement about the fight: Mayweather was supposed to hug his woman and punch the guy in the ring, not the other way around!
Yep. So he punched him 150 times. Pacman punched the air well though. He beat the air by decision. The air couldn't get out of the way of his punches. :p

If continuous holding was Illegal, the outcome may have been different. Paciquao needed to get significantly close to Floyd (because of much shorter reach ) to land legitimate shots. But just about everytime he entered striking distance Floyd would wrap his arms around Pac so he couldn't throw punches. Sucks that they allow this, but it is what it is

Reminded me of a Lennox Lewis fight...zzzzzzzzz

ADVERTISEMENT