ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Grateful Dead Fare Thee Well (last show)

okieKnight

Sophomore
May 20, 2013
Well the long strange trip ends tonight. Below is a link to the audio of tonight's show. Enjoy the sweet sounds from one of the greatest bands to have ever toured and one of the best guitarist that will ever live.

Audio Link

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
I'll be grateful when there music is dead, never understood the fascination. I'll await the insults thrown my way ...

It's all good. To each their own. Admittedly, I'm more into Phish myself, but wanted to pass along the link.

Well the long strange trip ends tonight. Below is a link to the audio of tonight's show. Enjoy the sweet sounds from one of the greatest bands to have ever toured and one of the best guitarist that will ever live.

Audio Link
Aren't they all dead anyway? How many original members are left?

Almost all original members, or at least a number of long time members and friends.

Thanks for the reminder, just ordered it.

Aren't they all dead anyway? How many original members are left?

Of the original group, 2 are dead - Pigpen and Jerry Garcia, but Pigpen died long long time ago before they really were in their most popular period. Of the replacements, almost all keyboard players have also died

Of the original group, 2 are dead - Pigpen and Jerry Garcia, but Pigpen died long long time ago before they really were in their most popular period. Of the replacements, almost all keyboard players have also died

Yup. Same bass player, same rhythm guitarist/singer and same drummers for 50 years, although Mickey Hart bowed out for a bit after his father did some misdeeds managing the band.

Bobs voice is sounding a littler worn, probably can't do three big shows in a row like this anymore.

They sound good though. Real good. Never knew that about Hart's dad. I know Jerry passed away with a modest amount of millions (if there is such a thing) for a guy who was part of such a revenue generating machine.

Bobs voice is sounding a littler worn, probably can't do three big shows in a row like this anymore.

They sound good though. Real good. Never knew that about Hart's dad. I know Jerry passed away with a modest amount of millions (if there is such a thing) for a guy who was part of such a revenue generating machine.

Jerry was a true hippie (the original hippie, really) and supposedly didn't care much about money. He'd get a $50K royalty check and just stash it in the glove compartment of his Beamer until an accountant called wondering what happened to it. Plus, he had an incredibly expensive drug habit and support for multiple children. He probably makes more now being deceased.

Indeed, I am sure he is worth more now. His estate was worth just under $10MM according sfgate.com when he passed.

That is an unbelievably small amount when you consider he was an integral original member of one of, if not the largest revenue producing live bands in history.

Jerry was a true hippie (the original hippie, really) and supposedly didn't care much about money. He'd get a $50K royalty check and just stash it in the glove compartment of his Beamer until an accountant called wondering what happened to it. Plus, he had an incredibly expensive drug habit and support for multiple children. He probably makes more now being deceased.
Do hippies drive Beamers?

"I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac"...from Hotel California by the Eagles. The Grateful Dead was a great band when Jerry Garcia was alive and I saw them a few times in the late 70's and early '80s. I never really understood some of the bitterness toward the band from some of those who like the heavier, harder rock stuff. All that started back in the 70's when unfortunately rock music started to get separated from it's roots of blues and country influences. I always loved bands like Cream, Led Zeppelin and also bands like the Grateful Dead and Creedence Clearwater Revival. The Dead were very innovative and used a lot of jazz techniques in their extended improvisation of rock, etc. Garcia was an under appreciated guitarist by many. His roots were in bluegrass but incorporated so much more into his beautiful melodic playing style.

"I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac"...from Hotel California by the Eagles

From "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley.

Also don't understand the Dead - outside of maybe 4 or 5 songs that have wider appeal, it's all sounds the same and never seems to end. I also was repulsed by the hippies that followed them around when I went to a couple of shows in the early 90s. That said, to each their own

Last edited:

You are correct Sir. I'm showing my age and overall brain cell deterioration.

Also don't understand the Dead - outside of maybe 4 or 5 songs that have wider appeal, it's all sounds the same and never seems to end. I also was repulsed by the hippies that followed them around when I went to a couple of shows in the early 90s. That said, to each their own

All rap music sounds the same
All EDM sounds the same
All country songs sound the same

It really only sounds the same if you don't pay attention to it. Its just a matter of whether you like it enough to actually listen or not.

Reactions: okieKnight
But how can you really have a Dead reunion without Garcia. You make an argument he WAS the band

A Jerry Garcia joke. Don't shoot the messenger.

Mick Jagger and Jerry Garcia were on an expedition to a remote island inhabited by man eating pygmy tribes and were captured and about to be boiled in the black pot.

Leader of the Pygmy tribe: Do you have any last words?

Gerry Garcia: No last words but could I have my guitar so I can play Truckin for the last time.

Mick Jagger: I would like a gun so I can shoot myself so I don't have to listen to Truckin again.

All rap music sounds the same
All EDM sounds the same
All country songs sound the same

It really only sounds the same if you don't pay attention to it. Its just a matter of whether you like it enough to actually listen or not.
That is true about country, or at least modern popular country. It all sounds very similar. Like alot of genres (blues, raggae, etc) it is kind of confined in its scope. Too much one way it becomes Southern rock. Too much the other and its just twangy pop. Its like ketchup - change it too much and its something else entirely.

The Os were playing in Chicago over the weekend and the announcers were getting in some good (if stale) jokes about the show.

I hear the same thing about any music or scene people don't like:

I also was repulsed by the rednecks.....
I also was repulsed by the "urban youth"
I also was repulsed by the "alternative lifestyle"

I love the Dead. Been to many shows. Enjoyed the music and the scene. Like a traveling carnival. Different strokes, etc.

Having said that, this made me crack up:

The Grateful Dead are putting out an 80-disc live box set. No word yet on which Grateful Dead song it will be.- Conan O'Brien, June 02, 2015

I'll be grateful when there music is dead, never understood the fascination. I'll await the insults thrown my way ...
----------
I am in the same boat as you.......of course I have my favorite bands and get insulted when someone says they stink, so I try to respect all musical tastes

I went to one dead concert about 20 years ago and did not stay for the second half....and this was the only concert I have ever left before it was done

Now some dead head fans will say that I don't understand it, do not a understanding what good music is etc etc.....

But I just did not like it.....they have had along and successful career and some of THE most dedicated fans I have ever seen...and for that they have my respect

I like the Dead's "bluesy" stuff...love it actually. But I can see how a lot of their other stuff, namely the hippie/trippy songs and the 1,000th bootleg live album where the 642nd recorded version of Bertha goes on for 20 minutes annoys people.

Not really a big Dead fan, but I have seen them a number of times, including the first show ever at the Meadowlands. It's called having friends who are Deadheads. Willie Nelson was also on the bill that night...and I thought his band was better. I do possess several Dead albums....Workingman's Dead is very good. And Garcia was an awesome guitarist.
That being said, It's not The Dead without Jerry Garcia.

Trey Anastasio was outstanding in Garcia's spot. They sounded exceptional last night.

Trey Anastasio was outstanding in Garcia's spot. They sounded exceptional last night.

He was....just different but definitely not in a bad way. Agree with Kbee about Jerry's playing though I think Jerry was more diverse then maybe given credit for over the years in that he played banjo in Old and in The Way as well as his work with Dave Grisman, Merle Saunders, and the JGB.

I hear the same thing about any music or scene people don't like:

I also was repulsed by the rednecks.....
I also was repulsed by the "urban youth"
I also was repulsed by the "alternative lifestyle"

I love the Dead. Been to many shows. Enjoyed the music and the scene. Like a traveling carnival. Different strokes, etc.

Having said that, this made me crack up:

The Grateful Dead are putting out an 80-disc live box set. No word yet on which Grateful Dead song it will be.- Conan O'Brien, June 02, 2015

I think the hippies are the worst of that bunch - no problems w/ rednecks, rap fans or alt lifestyle folks (though that's a very broad spectrum of people). Hippies in 2015 (or 1991 for that matter) are without doubt....gross and need to have their heads examined. And this comes from someone who did the drugs (now only pot smoking!), still listens to classic rock and has a great appreciation and interest in the cultural movements of the 60s and early 70s in terms of books, film, art, sights, etc.. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing young new or old age hippies begging with their babies at Venice beach. IMO these misfits are reasons 1-100 why we don't already have legalized marijuana.

I think the hippies are the worst of that bunch - no problems w/ rednecks, rap fans or alt lifestyle folks (though that's a very broad spectrum of people). Hippies in 2015 (or 1991 for that matter) are without doubt....gross and need to have their heads examined. And this comes from someone who did the drugs (now only pot smoking!), still listens to classic rock and has a great appreciation and interest in the cultural movements of the 60s and early 70s in terms of books, film, art, sights, etc.. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing young new or old age hippies begging with their babies at Venice beach. IMO these misfits are reasons 1-100 why we don't already have legalized marijuana.

There's no question that marijuana is still illegal on the federal level because hippies and blacks smoke it. The prohibition is more of an FU to the counterculture and African-American hip-hop culture.

People that like the GD are a very eclectic group. To classify them all as hippies is missing what their fan base is really all about.

The Grateful Desd's marathon improvisations may have been excessive, but they were a real band that played real music, unlike the completely incompetent studio creations that have been defacing the concert landscape.

Reactions: Bones131
The critics of the GD always mention .. the extended jamming..which at times could be aimless and at other times could be brilliant ..depending on the night. The critics also don't seem to be aware of their musical body of work. The same songs are criticized "Truckin', etc. I've listened to many different types of music for upwards of 50 years, if people think songs like "Franklin's Tower", "Eyes of the World", "Box of Rain", "Friend of the Devil", "Sugaree", "Throwing Stones" are bad...you have to be listening sideways. As for the "Hippy Culture" that the band gets associated with, there were certainly excesses that I would not advocate...especially the drug culture. However, from the 60s and 70s counter culture, some ideas have become mainstream, concern about the environment, tolerance for differences in people, etc. The US was a much different, more closed and restrictive society previous to that time.

Reactions: Bones131
Big fan of the dead, but some songs are definitely 'ehh' to me. Not sure where all the hate is coming from - it's all personal preference. If it's because of the culture and cult following I guess that's one thing, but best way for me to define their music is just relaxing, good for the soul music.

Reactions: okieKnight
I think Garcia is in the conversation with Hendrix as the greatest rock guitar player ever. He could play rock, acoustic blues, folk music and bluegrass with complete authenticity. He was an accomplished banjo player and had an uncanny knack for the pedal steel. (He played the steel lines on CSN&Y's Teach Your Children.) But he wasn't flashy, rarely used distortion (and didn't sound very good when he did) and admitted that the GD was like licorice - you love it or hate it. There's no in between.

So......

Did you hear about the two guys that went to the concert this weekend but forgot their drugs? After about two hours they looked at each other and said " this music really does suck"

Love Eyes of the World and a few other but the jamming is annoying as hell.

So......

Did you hear about the two guys that went to the concert this weekend but forgot their drugs? After about two hours they looked at each other and said " this music really does suck"

Love Eyes of the World and a few other but the jamming is annoying as hell.
Good one RC
Also like Eyes and a few others like Terrapin Station & Friend of the Devil album versions but agree with the long jams that got out of hand live guess thats why they could play 2+ hours.
Perfect example a 5 min song stretched to 15

The current band made $50 million for the two shows in Chicago... doubt that will be their last show.

Good one RC
Also like Eyes and a few others like Terrapin Station & Friend of the Devil album versions but agree with the long jams that got out of hand live guess thats why they could play 2+ hours.
Perfect example a 5 min song stretched to 15

Jerry's solos were the highlight of the band, especially when he was ON. If Eyes is less than a 10 minutes version, then I'm disappointed. Especially when you have Bruce Hornsby on piano.

Trey is on another level as a guitarist.

Totally agree. I see a TON live music, and he was amazing. Have seen Jack White a few times, once recently, and though vastly different, they are both incredible guitarists.

ADVERTISEMENT