ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Greatest golfer of all time Tiger, Jack or Sam?

Who is the best golfer all time ?

• Tiger Woods

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Jack Nicklaus

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • Sam Snead

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters

RUaMoose

Heisman Winner
Oct 31, 2004
Lebanon, TN
Majors: Jack 18; Tiger 14; Sam 7
Total PGA wins : Jack 73; Tiger 79; Sam 82

I would give Jack the nod. He was dominant for a longer period (2.5 decades compared with Tiger's one), played against better competition (Watson, Palmer, Player, Trevino) . He's also the second oldest (46) to win a major. N

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Greatest overall career - Jack
Most dominant run (for about 10 years) - Tiger

I think a lot of folks are starting to forget how dominant Tiger was during he peak. There were no Watsons or Players during Tigers 10 year run because Tiger won almost everything!

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Jack..., played when he felt like it and never felt like he couldn't win, even if he was playing poorly, he had the ability and confidence to win anyway, if he didn't, he didn't care, it's a gifted intangible that most all hall of famers in any sport have.
Here's a good example of how greatness and confidence works, my dad never felt like he was in a slump...if you asked him if he was in a hitting slump, he'd say I ain't in no slump, I'm just not hitting. Every time he went to the plate, he felt the pitcher was in trouble. Every time Jack played, he thought he'd win, even if he wasn't playing well, he knew his game could turn on a dime, and his best beat everyone.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Bobby Jones. Competed in only 31 majors (ametueur & pro) won 13 of them and finished in the top 10 an amazing 27 times. Never turned Pro and was only a part time golfer (was a lawyer by trade). Retired at 28 years old.

Moe Norman owned his swing better then anyone who ever played.
Tigers stretch in early 2000s was greatest stretch.
Nicklaus has had best career.
Bobby jones is the legend.

Don't even think its a question. Jack Nicklaus by far was the best golfer to play the game.

You give Jack the equipment Tiger is playing with today, against the "competition" Tiger played against in the late 90s-2000s, Jack wins a few more majors.

LOL Moe Norman…never won a regular or senior PGA tour event. He was great at exhibitions…he played Chi Chi in a 36 hole challenge match (Chich was also great at exhibitions of golf magic)
Chi Chi won by 10 shots.

Reactions: greenknight
Jack...should have been Tiger by now. Sam's putting technique disqualifies him for me. Now outlawed. If he wanted to shoot/putt like that he should have played pool.

Bobby Jones. Hogan needs to be in the conversation as well. Palmer not far behind the top ones. Tiger had a chance to be the greatest. One heckuva dominating run. Everyone was playing for second. You didn't want to be paired with Tiger on Sunday.

Jack...should have been Tiger by now. Sam's putting technique disqualifies him for me. Now outlawed. If he wanted to shoot/putt like that he should have played pool.
Sam Sneads putting stance isn't banned. Side saddle putting meets all the rules of golf. There is talk of some of the belly putters have been testing it for use next year

Shouldn't we factor into this how many rounds of indoor golf each played on different courses?

Jack and it's not even close.

I grew up watching Jack and he's my favorite golfer of all time.......followed by Phil (I always liked him because he was a gambler type especially early in his career....and I'm a lefty). I do think that Jack has had the best career of all time and I rank him well above Tiger - because being an all time great professional athlete also means working through injury, age and off the field/personal issues. I also give Jack major props for winning some big tourneys as he got older....and the Jack/Arnie and Jack/Watson competitions were great.

However, I think the early 20th century golfers (Jones, Hogan, Hagen etc) are not examined enough for their greatness in these comparisons. I ranked Jones #1 - because he is up there with the best and only played part time for half a career. Just my opinion.

1. Best amateur of all time: Bobby Jones, and most dominant player of his time.
  2. Best Player between 1997 and 2008: Tiger Woods, and he dominated like no other for that period.
  3. Best Player of all time: Jack Nicklaus, 18 majors and 19 seconds, always in the hunt in majors, and longevity.

1. Best amateur of all time: Bobby Jones, and most dominant player of his time.
  2. Best Player between 1997 and 2008: Tiger Woods, and he dominated like no other for that period.
  3. Best Player of all time: Jack Nicklaus, 18 majors and 19 seconds, always in the hunt in majors, and longevity.

I think Jones would easily have been the best of all time had he not retired in his 20s. He also earned an English degree from Harvard, an engineering degree from Georgia Tech and a law degree from Emory. Top that!

I think Jones would easily have been the best of all time had he not retired in his 20s. He also earned an English degree from Harvard, an engineering degree from Georgia Tech and a law degree from Emory. Top that!

Great man, great sportsmanship, and great golfer. But he did retire, so I can't really put him at the top. Maybe he would have had a great next 10 years, but we will never know.

What, no female choices? I'd go with the cutest woman. Because golf is quite possibly the most boring thing mankind has ever invented. Silly sport, knocking hard little balls around with long sticks. Talk about Freudian.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Ok tiger only played tourneys and courses that suited his game. Most if his wins are at a handful of courses. Tiger had the technology edge on all golfers (ball) and I'm sure clubs. I will bet everything I have that Tiger was on the juice golfers that bench 300 plus don't come around often. Tiger if he was not leading a major he DID NOT win. He never chased down anyone in the last round. Great player no doubt but race definitely played in his favor If he was white he would not have made half the money he has made over the years and the tour would not be as successful as it is w/o him being black

By the way, is there any evidence, direct or indirect, that Tiger was on roids? Just wondering.

There is plenty of evidence. It was all swept under the rug. Why did he win his last major right before they started testing. Why did he go for the deep end right after that. Why did people say they supplied him with the stuff

There is plenty of evidence. It was all swept under the rug. Why did he win his last major right before they started testing. Why did he go for the deep end right after that. Why did people say they supplied him with the stuff?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...-200k-hgh-guru-doc-new-book-article-1.1860280
A

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...-200k-hgh-guru-doc-new-book-article-1.1860280
There is plenty of evidence. It was all swept under the rug. Why did he win his last major right before they started testing. Why did he go for the deep end right after that. Why did people say they supplied him with the stuff?

All the galea stuff was after his last major

Sam Sneads putting stance isn't banned. Side saddle putting meets all the rules of golf. There is talk of some of the belly putters have been testing it for use next year

Snead only used the side saddle at the end of his career. Most of the time he putted the conventional way.

If tiger was on the juice and the PGA knew he is probably the only player they would have looked the other way on. He pumped billions into the PGA and they needs him golf was on the downslide

Jack..., played when he felt like it and never felt like he couldn't win, even if he was playing poorly, he had the ability and confidence to win anyway, if he didn't, he didn't care, it's a gifted intangible that most all hall of famers in any sport have.
Here's a good example of how greatness and confidence works, my dad never felt like he was in a slump...if you asked him if he was in a hitting slump, he'd say I ain't in no slump, I'm just not hitting. Every time he went to the plate, he felt the pitcher was in trouble. Every time Jack played, he thought he'd win, even if he wasn't playing well, he knew his game could turn on a dime, and his best beat everyone.
It should come as no news to you that I love Yogi BERRA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT