ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Pi Day

And Happy Birthday to Albert Einstein

Einstein-BDay-PiDay[1].jpg

Pi is of course the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. But with the concept of the curvature of space introduced by Prof Einstein, that is not true for very large circles.

Originally posted by GeorgeStreet:
Pi is of course the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. But with the concept of the curvature of space introduced by Prof Einstein, that is not true for very large circles.
Sounds like circular logic to me.

Celebrated Pi day at the Hill Center for Mathematics today, as my son's team was in the finals for the Math Counts competition. Some kid new Pi out to 50 digits.

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
Celebrated Pi day at the Hill Center for Mathematics today, as my son's team was in the finals for the Math Counts competition. Some kid new Pi out to 50 digits.
Having been around geeky science/math types my whole life, I always chuckled at folks who thought that knowing pi to X digits gave them some math cred, when all that is is memorization, having nothing to do with math.

Originally posted by RU848789:

Having been around geeky science/math types my whole life, I always chuckled at folks who thought that knowing pi to X digits gave them some math cred, when all that is is memorization, having nothing to do with math.
Yeah, but some of these 7th and 8th graders were crushing questions in the countdown round, which was jeopardy style. Truly impressive.

Sitting in Hill 114 brought back fond memories of the 4 semesters of calculus and differential equations lectures I endured in that room (and maybe 116). I got some good sleep in that room, and still pulled out decent grades.

Originally posted by RU848789:

bazinga-the-big-bang-theory-33926500-600-600.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT