ADVERTISEMENT

OT.Harrison Ford crashes his vintage airplane.

Saw this earlier in the evening , sounds like injuries were moderate. Glad to hear nothing bad. Don't mess with Han/Indy!

And certainly don't mess with Mrs. Harrison Ford - a.k.a. Calista Flockhart, MGSA, formerly of Brett Hall.

This post was edited on 3/5 9:38 PM by chickenpatty2

Glad he is OK, but why is a 71 year old guy flying this plane near a residential area?

2015-03-05T233450Z_567132943_GM1EB360KZJ01_RTRMADP_3_USA-CRASH.JPG

Originally posted by RUMcMahon:
Saw this earlier in the evening , sounds like injuries were moderate. Glad to hear nothing bad. Don't mess with Han/Indy!
Han's son said he will be OK. Saw this on another site:

35bv9l4.jpg

Well, when you fly a Millennium Falcon for so long i suppose you start to get cocky in the classic propeller plane

"(I'm going to ) Get off my plane."

His son says he was shaken up but okay. Speedy recovery Mr. Ford.

Originally posted by mullerpesq:
He wasn't flying he was crashing. That's the definition of not flying.
Details shmetails. Tow-may-tow tow-ma-to.

Proving that these small aircraft cannot do the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs.

Guy crashes on a golf course with 2 doctors playing. Only thing missing was Woody Johnson with a tin of Band-Aids

Someone needs to photoshop Lao Che airlines on the plane asap.

Glad to hear he's going to be ok though.

Alright, listen up, people. Our fugitive has been on the run for ninety minutes. Average foot speed over uneven ground barring injuries is 4 miles-per-hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at fifteen miles. Your fugitive's name is Dr. Richard Kimble. Go get him.

Chickenpatty, What floor did Clasita live on in Brett? I was on Brett 2nd in 84-85. I don't remember her being there.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
Anyone know what type of plane that was?
It is a Ryan PT-22 Recruit. They were used as primary flight trainers during WWII.

PT-22-aerial-01-comp.jpg

Just a few hours before Indiana's crash I was reading about Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens crash. Guys took off in a storm (Beechcraft) on a cold Feb night with a 21 year old pilot. Seems there's a move to reopen investigation into cause of crash. I don't know the stats but seems these single engine prop planes do most of the crashing. I assume that's more because of the of the pilots?

"It is a Ryan PT-22 Recruit. They were used as primary flight trainers during WWII."

He was flying Hans Solo.

Originally posted by RU0517581:

Just a few hours before Indiana's crash I was reading about Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens crash. Guys took off in a storm (Beechcraft) on a cold Feb night with a 21 year old pilot. Seems there's a move to reopen investigation into cause of crash. I don't know the stats but seems these single engine prop planes do most of the crashing. I assume that's more because of the of the pilots?
Depends on how you look at it.

Single-engine aircraft account for more accidents, overall. The leading cause of serious crashes in piston singles is "flight into instrument meteorological conditions (IMC)". If the pilot-in-command is not proficient in instrument flight, all kinds of bad things can happen once he makes the decision to poke into the clouds.

Flight into known icing conditions (such as with the ill-fated Buddy Holly incident) is pretty high up on the list, too. Behind that comes basic aircraft mismanagement, mainly involving fuel - running out or failing to manage fuel tank switches properly.

Surprisingly, at least to most non-pilots, is the fact that basic mechanical failure of the aircraft is not a major contributor to the overall accident total.

Interesting to note that while piston singles are involved in more accidents, piston twins have a higher accident rate. Most of the differential is due to poor pilot performance in engine-out situations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT