ADVERTISEMENT

OT - HBO's "Ballers"

RUfinal4

Heisman Winner
Apr 24, 2006
I started to watch this new show on HBO starring The Rock.

While I don't know any pro athletes and never see any in these high end super cars one comment sticks in my head.

"If it floats, flies, drives, or Screws (he used another word) then lease it".

Does anyone here know any pro athletes? Do they really spend stupidly on Ferraris, jets, boars, etc...?

Other than Ray Rice Rutgers really didn't have any that would have been considered at the superstar NFL level. We saw what happened to Ray after a mistake so I hope he was leasing.

Maybe Devin McCourty is at that level where he has fun money to spend on things but not sure he is at that superstar level.

I've seen every NFL practice facility - and their parking lots.

The overwhelming majority of NFL players have large SUVs or pickups as their daily driver. That doesn't mean that there aren't some guys who have a Lambo sitting in a garage somewhere, but from the car perspective they're not, on average, as flashy as they're made out to be.

Over 75% of NFL players are bankrupt within 5 years of leaving the game. They spend it all while in the League.

I've seen every NFL practice facility - and their parking lots.

The overwhelming majority of NFL players have large SUVs or pickups as their daily driver. That doesn't mean that there aren't some guys who have a Lambo sitting in a garage somewhere, but from the car perspective they're not, on average, as flashy as they're made out to be.
That was what I thought. Especially since a lot of these guys are at least 6 foot 3 and like 250 or more lbs they may need an SUV. I am guessing they have a duffelbag of equipment for practice too.

If they drive a Lexus LX / GX, Benz SUV, AUDI Q7, Porsche SUV, or the like I would not be surprised but those are not 250k vehicles.

That was what I thought. Especially since a lot of these guys are at least 6 foot 3 and like 250 or more lbs they may need an SUV. I am guessing they have a duffelbag of equipment for practice too.

If they drive a Lexus LX / GX, Benz SUV, AUDI Q7, Porsche SUV, or the like I would not be surprised but those are not 250k vehicles.

Tahoes and Escalades are highly represented. It's actually kind of interesting to see that - again, on average - the players are more prone to "buy American" than one might think.

Not a few of them are also very fond of old Detroit muscle - Chevelles, GTOs, etc.

I used to work at the HQ for a pharma company that was located near Halas Hall, the Bears Training Facility in Lake Forest,IL. As RU4Real noted, most players drove SUVs and pickups. They were likely leased because you would see the players driving different vehicles but using the same Illinois vanity plates. Devin Hester was the lone standout. He drove a tricked-out brown Bentley with "The U" plate cover.

I used to work at the HQ for a pharma company that was located near Halas Hall, the Bears Training Facility in Lake Forest,IL. As RU4Real noted, most players drove SUVs and pickups. They were likely leased because you would see the players driving different vehicles but using the same Illinois vanity plates. Devin Hester was the lone standout. He drove a tricked-out brown Bentley with "The U" plate cover.
a lot of the superstars are given cars from dealerships or various sponsors. My wife was involved in a transaction where a dealer was trying to give Carmelo Anthony a car. His attorney had so many revisions to the deal and whacked out demands, that A'mare ended with the car and Carmelo got squat.

Most spend like they are going to make millions annually for the Tay of their lives. They also make bad decisions like investing businesses run by family members who have no clue what they are doing.

I started to watch this new show on HBO starring The Rock.

While I don't know any pro athletes and never see any in these high end super cars one comment sticks in my head.

"If it floats, flies, drives, or Screws (he used another word) then lease it".

Does anyone here know any pro athletes? Do they really spend stupidly on Ferraris, jets, boars, etc...?

Other than Ray Rice Rutgers really didn't have any that would have been considered at the superstar NFL level. We saw what happened to Ray after a mistake so I hope he was leasing.

Maybe Devin McCourty is at that level where he has fun money to spend on things but not sure he is at that superstar level.

Devin just signed a contract that guarantees him $28 million. If he lasts thru the life of the contract it's around $45 million. I think he's more than able to afford just about any "toy" that strikes his fancy.

Jason is in the 4th year of a contract that guarantees him $17 million. He also collected a $3 million bonus on top of that last year. Provided he lasts, the total value could approach $42 million.

Don't think they'll have any problems.

Speaking of Ballers, the locker room was basically done over by a donation from Dwayne Johnson and is named after him. Would love to see the McCourtey's make a nice tax deductible contribution at some point towards the program. The only way our fortunes will change is if our alumni feel the same responsibility as those guys who play for places like "The U".

Speaking of Ballers, the locker room was basically done over by a donation from Dwayne Johnson and is named after him. Would love to see the McCourtey's make a nice tax deductible contribution at some point towards the program. The only way our fortunes will change is if our alumni feel the same responsibility as those guys who play for places like "The U".

Funny in the thread about players not holding onto their money and giving in to exterrnal pressures and bad choices we get a request that once an alum hits it big there should be a "responsibility" to give back to the school. Imagine the responsibility some of these young guys feel to close friends and family they've been with their whole lives. Also, DJ is worth considerably more than the contracts of both MCCourtys - recall reading that his 2 pts in the fast and furious films are worth 40mm on their own. Think he is a 150mm guy at this pt. different stratosphere

I think the time that Devin and Jason give back is the limit of any potential responsibility and all we should ever ask for / reasonably expect ... Rest is gravy

Reactions: redking
These guys are way too big to fit into lambos, Ferraris, etc. Hence the SUVs and pick ups

For instance when Joe Flacco won super bowl mvp he received a free corvette stingray, which he supposedly gave to his wife cause he can't possibly fit in it. Not the smartest move on chevys front

Funny in the thread about players not holding onto their money and giving in to exterrnal pressures and bad choices we get a request that once an alum hits it big there should be a "responsibility" to give back to the school. Imagine the responsibility some of these young guys feel to close friends and family they've been with their whole lives. Also, DJ is worth considerably more than the contracts of both MCCourtys - recall reading that his 2 pts in the fast and furious films are worth 40mm on their own. Think he is a 150mm guy at this pt. different stratosphere

I think the time that Devin and Jason give back is the limit of any potential responsibility and all we should ever ask for / reasonably expect ... Rest is gravy

Yeah because if you make $40 million you have no need for tax deductible contributions right?

By the way, Time doesn't win Big 10 Championships.

If every "Knight in the Pros" endowed a future scholarship to RU, the athletic budget and fundraising would be light years ahead of where it is now. I'm not saying some haven't started to. What I am saying is that until the culture of our professional athletes change, we won't move forward as fast as we all want. So before you make stupid comments Givemesomemore, understand how the system works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT