ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How The Art Of Persuasion Saved The TCU Horned Frogs

You can reduce the ENTIRE TCU discussion as follows...if A&M and Mizzou had not left, the horny frogs would be stuck in the wilderness known as the AAC...or worse...period!

The should send both schools annual gift baskets every July 1st. TCU and west vaginny are only there as last ditched efforts to save a moribund conference...they probably should have invited Louisville instead and at least wv would have someone nearby!! If there's ever another successful round of realignment...the frogs are f***ed!

/fact

You can reduce the ENTIRE TCU discussion as follows...if A&M and Mizzou had not left, the horny frogs would be stuck in the wilderness known as the AAC...or worse...period!

The should send both schools annual gift baskets every July 1st. TCU and west vaginny are only there as last ditched efforts to save a moribund conference...they probably should have invited Louisville instead and at least wv would have someone nearby!! If there's ever another successful round of realignment...the frogs are f***ed!

/fact

TCU's future was always tied to A&M...because if A&M never left the Big 12....there was no way that conf was going to add a 5th team from TX (especially since UT and A&M had so much power).

Mizzou was an after-thought...and had zero influence in TCU's invite to join Big 12 after A&M announced they were leaving.

And there are people on this board who think Mulcahy and Pernetti's contribution to our getting into B1G was merely they picked up the phone when the call came.

And there are people on this board who think Mulcahy and Pernetti's contribution to our getting into B1G was merely they picked up the phone when the call came.
I think there's a big difference between the attractiveness of being a small Texas school trying to finagle your way in to an already heavily Texas centric conference and being the large state school in the largest market in the country.

/fact

if A&M and Mizzou had not left, the AAC looks remarkably different -- and perhaps the Big East doesn't split.

Assuming no Big 10 expansion, the American/Big East with WVU, Rutgers, TCU, UCF and UL does not get a $2mm contract from ESPN -- with the hoops schools the contract is worth significantly more. Still might be a tweener conference for football but would get the access bowl slot most years (instead of it going to Boise feasting on weak conference competition).

It's alternative history but people can write books on that stuff. Yes the ball bounced correctly for TCU (and for us), but it wouldn't have been as cataclysmic if WVU, TCU, RU and UL were in the Big East/AAC.

if A&M and Mizzou had not left, the AAC looks remarkably different -- and perhaps the Big East doesn't split.

Assuming no Big 10 expansion, the American/Big East with WVU, Rutgers, TCU, UCF and UL does not get a $2mm contract from ESPN -- with the hoops schools the contract is worth significantly more. Still might be a tweener conference for football but would get the access bowl slot most years (instead of it going to Boise feasting on weak conference competition).

It's alternative history but people can write books on that stuff. Yes the ball bounced correctly for TCU (and for us), but it wouldn't have been as cataclysmic if WVU, TCU, RU and UL were in the Big East/AAC.

Great points. TCU is in a better place because A&M left, but they'd be in a good spot if A&M stayed. WVU, TCU, RU, and UL along with UCF and Cincinnati would make the American / Big East at least as strong as the ACC. The conference would be among the Power 6 conferences if Boise State and San Diego State joined.

I think there's a big difference between the attractiveness of being a small Texas school trying to finagle your way in to an already heavily Texas centric conference and being the large state school in the largest market in the country.
Only bonehead fans of others schools that thought the main criteria for expansion was win loss record on the field were surprised by our admission. Bob and Tim, as much as anybody, understood the inherent characteristics that made RU a desirable candidate. But they had to make sure the one on one relationships were in place to close the deal. As much as Jim Delany wanted to make the call, he needed to know he'd have a worthy partner on the other end of the line.

Only bonehead fans of others schools that thought the main criteria for expansion was win loss record on the field were surprised by our admission. Bob and Tim, as much as anybody, understood the inherent characteristics that made RU a desirable candidate. But they had to make sure the one on one relationships were in place to close the deal. As much as Jim Delany wanted to make the call, he needed to know he'd have a worthy partner on the other end of the line.
Most of the fans on this board were pulling their hair out and panicking each and every time a member of the BE left from Pitt/Cuse to WVU to ND and the crescendo just got louder with each one. Many facetious comments about "markets mattering" and "TP said we'll be okay" etc.. Even some more connected members of this board and I think one of the mods too thought the window was closing and that our admin/TP included were surprised when the opportunity came on suddenly even though talks had always been going on for a long time.

During all that I always said the our market will pull us out of the BE with the B10 being the most likely destination but out of the BE regardless of where. No inside info, no nothing just seeing the lay of the land. I gave the example of how Larry Scott had to get approval from USC/UCLA, the 2 schools in the PAC12's largest market, to get full equal revenue sharing going in the PAC12. They gave him a threshold to meet, he blew that number out of the water and the PAC12 got full revenue sharing. Also gave the example of the NFL, the most profitable and successful sports organization in the country, and how they despite all their success still desire to have a team in LA even though they've flourished without it. The logistics however of getting that done aren't always easy as opposed to just plucking us out of the BE. So as long as we didn't have a buffoon in the AD's chair, I've always thought we were getting out of the BE when this conference realignment thing got going and mainly due to our market. That certainly wasn't the feeling of the majority of this board at the time.

Del Conte did a nice job and I give him credit but it's Gary Patterson who got them to where they are. Without his very successful football team, they wouldn't have had a chance. So may finishes in the rankings including multiple top tens and BCS bowls that's what got them despite being in a heavily Texas conference. Without that, all his powers of persuasion and politicking wouldn't have been worth a darn. He wasn't the one who promoted Patterson to HC. It's still not easiest thing getting TCU into a heavily Texas centric conference though, so I give him credit but I'd tick it down a notch.

The one AD and pretty much the only AD I give a ton of credit to in getting his school to a much better location is Tom Jurich. It's not really his politicking or powers of persuasion I credit either, it's really something that he built at Louisville over his entire 17-18 year tenure there. Here was a school threatened to be thrown out of CUSA when he took over, the 2nd school in the state and nothing particularly special academically and he built it into one of the best athletic departments in the country. Built up football to a BCS bowl team and ranked team, built on top of what they were in basketball and raised the level of their Olympic sports and greatly improved Louisville's athletic infrastructure. So over the course of his career there he made a school you wouldn't think much about in this whole realignment saga into a fairly attractive and irresistible candidate considering its other deficiencies like market or academic status. So like I said it's not anything he did just at the end journey when they finally got into the ACC I give credit for, it's all the work he did to get them ready for that point. So I give him major kudos for his career achievement there that made them very attractive to be chosen.

Last edited:
Most of the fans on this board were pulling their hair out and panicking each and every time a member of the BE left from Pitt/Cuse to WVU to ND and the crescendo just got louder with each one. Many facetious comments about "markets mattering" and "TP said we'll be okay" etc.. Even some more connected members of this board and I think one of the mods too thought the window was closing and that our admin/TP included were surprised when the opportunity came on suddenly even though talks had always been going on for a long time.

During all that I always said the our market will pull us out of the BE with the B10 being the most likely destination but out of the BE regardless of where. No inside info, no nothing just seeing the lay of the land. I gave the example of how Larry Scott had to get approval from USC/UCLA, the 2 schools in the PAC12's largest market, to get full equal revenue sharing going in the PAC12. They gave him a threshold to meet, he blew that number out of the water and the PAC12 got full revenue sharing. Also gave the example of the NFL, the most profitable and successful sports organization in the country, and how they despite all their success still desire to have a team in LA even though they've flourished without it. The logistics however of getting that done aren't always easy as opposed to just plucking us out of the BE. So as long as we didn't have a buffoon in the AD's chair, I've always thought we were getting out of the BE when this conference realignment thing got going and mainly due to our market. That certainly wasn't the feeling of the majority of this board at the time.

Del Conte did a nice job and I give him credit but it's Gary Patterson who got them to where they are. Without his very successful football team, they wouldn't have had a chance. So may finishes in the rankings including multiple top tens and BCS bowls that's what got them despite being in a heavily Texas conference. Without that, all his powers of persuasion and politicking wouldn't have been worth a darn. He wasn't the one who promoted Patterson to HC. It's still not easiest thing getting TCU into a heavily Texas centric conference though, so I give him credit I'd tick it down a notch.

The one AD and pretty much the only AD I give a ton of credit to in getting his school to a much better location is Tom Jurich. It's not really his politicking or powers of persuasion I credit either, it's really something that he built at Louisville over his entire 17-18 year tenure there. Here was a school threatened to being thrown of CUSA when he took over, the 2nd school in the state and nothing particularly special academically and he built it into one of the best athletic departments in the country. Built up football to a BCS bowl team and ranked team, built on top of what they were in basketball and raised the level of their Olympic sports and greatly improved Louisville's athletic infrastructure. So over the course of his career there he made a school you wouldn't think much about in this whole realignment saga into a fairly attractive and irresistible candidate considering its other deficiencies like market or academic status. So like I said it's not anything he did just at the end journey when they finally got into the ACC I give credit for, it's all the work he did to get them ready for that point. So I give him major kudos for his career achievement there that made them very attractive to be chosen.

Well said. I'm not sure that a lot of people realize that Louisville was playing football in a minor league baseball stadium well into the 90s.

During all that I always said the our market will pull us out of the BE with the B10 being the most likely destination but out of the BE regardless of where.

Good info packed post.

Of course Schiano made a big deal for Mulcahy as did Gary Patterson at TCU for Del Conte.

The Jurich example is a really good one.

On the converse; what if Maryland had not parted ways with Debbie Yow? Maybe College Park would have got in on the numbers and demographics alone. But I got to believe it was much easier for Delany & Co. to deal with a real pro like Kevin Anderson after the Terps dispatched Yow to NC State after she ran their operation into the ground.

Great article!

Very interesting how the TCU AD went to Austin unannounced and spoke with the Texas AD, whom he did not know. That is yet another example of how Texas runs the Big 12. I can't imagine a university doing this to try and join the B1G. At the minimum, their would have to be a close relationship with a B1G AD and the university would have to fit the B1G profile. Even then, the B1G AD could lobby on behalf of the other university, but wouldn't have any other type of influence. On top of that, based on recent history, it would need to be a unanimous decision. I remember former OSU President Gordon Gee spoke about expansion talks after Nebraska was added and before Maryland & Rutgers were added, and he talked about discussion of adding Missouri and Kansas. Gee said that a majority of B1G schools were in favor of inviting Missouri and Kansas to join the B1G, but it was not unanimous, and there was a consensus among all members that the decision to bring in new schools needed to be unanimous, so it did not happen.

If Texas ever joined another conference, I'm not sure how well they would deal with no longer having power over the other schools in their conference. That power helped to destroy the old Southwest Conference and it nearly destroyed the Big 12, while definitely weakening the Big 12, and it may eventually lead to its destruction down the road.

It makes me wonder what would have happened had Texas joined the B1G in the early 90s. Shortly after adding Penn State to the B1G, Texas inquired about joining the B1G. However, the B1G decided upon adding Penn State, that no further additions would occur. Had Texas been added at that time, there is no way they could have just walked in and acted like they owned the place. That wouldn't jive in the B1G with anyone. Even Ohio State and Michigan do not have that sort of power, nor do they seem to want that sort of power.

I also liked the TCU's AD approach to fundraising......

“I’m not a big fan of what some fundraisers call cultivation,” reveals Del Conte. “To me, if someone has the ability to give you $15 million, they’re by default an incredibly successful individual. Which is why when I approach them, I don’t ask for money, I ask them for their advice – ‘What would you do if you were running our program?’, ‘Where would you allocate resources to maximize the chances we reach our goals?’ It’s not just about getting them to like me, but rather the goal is to get on the same wavelength and create a long term, mutually beneficial relationship. It’s like selling lemonade – if people think your stand is pretty but when they taste the product it’s sour, you’ll never get them to come back and buy again.”

Del Conte isn’t declaring that when it comes to fundraising, the tail wags the dog. Quite contrarily, he has his own vision and answers to the very questions he is asking, but he also realizes that none of them are achievable without the help of those donors. So rather than saying, “I need X dollars so I can do Y”, instead he focuses on projecting the values the organization stands for and finding a common ground to perpetuate those standards.

ADVERTISEMENT