ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I rescued my first diamondback yesterday

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
While riding my bike through Strathmere, which is a little spit of land between Ocean City and Sea Isle, I saw a turtle trying to cross the road from the beach to the bay. Some guy driving an SUV swerved so violently to miss him that his car almost ran into the dunes. I grabbed the turtle and carried him into the grass on the bay side. Its a good feeling to save a life.

So i got that going for me.

ProtectTheTurtlephoto.jpg

dbterrapin.jpg

Awesome. All lives matter. They are just trying to make their way in this world, just like you and I. The other day, I saw an emaciated, hobbling cat crossing a busy intersection in Queens. A homeless guy in the area told me it was hit by a car recently. I got the cat into my car, fed it, and took it to the ASPCA. Turned out it had a microchip and the owners had lost it years ago. The cat was so affectionate when I found it.. he was almost telling me that he wasn't a stray and he really needed some help. It was heartbreaking but thankfully had a good ending.

Last edited:
Very nice however the save a life part... It's just a turtle...
I'm sure he would thank you allowing him to get to the water to kill and eat crabs mussels and clams, now about that save a life part...

I'm sure he would thank you allowing him to get to the water to kill and eat crabs mussels and clams, now about that save a life part...

so according to you it is impossible to save a human life since they will just go on to eat other animals.

Reactions: RU5781
Newell, I thought you were talking about a snake before I opened the thread LOL. I once saved a timber rattle snake that was sunning itself in the middle of Clinton Rd. in West Milford. The 4 foot snake responded to my prodding with a stick till it got to the side of the road at which point it coiled up and started rattling. I backed off and got in the car and the snake took off into the woods. I felt good.

Last edited:

Quite possibly the most idiotic statement I've ever read. I'm actually embarrassed that you are a fellow RU fan.

Last edited:
Nice job.

A couple of years ago in Virginia, I was driving along a county road on the way to drop Tyler and Corey off at school then onto work, when we passed a turtle about a foot across just starting to cross the road. After a car passed the other way, made a u-turn, went back, picked it up and put it in the long grass off the road, and made sure it was heading in the direction it had been going. A good lesson for Tyler and Corey, and they remember it 'til this day.

Awesome. All lives matter. They are just trying to make their way in this world, just like you and I. The other day, I saw an emaciated, hobbling cat crossing a busy intersection in Queens. A homeless guy in the area told me it was hit by a car recently. I got the cat into my car, fed it, and took it to the ASPCA. Turned out it had a microchip and the owners had lost it years ago. The cat was so affectionate when I found it.. he was almost telling me that he wasn't a stray and he really needed some help. It was heartbreaking but thankfully had a good ending.
I read your post to my adult, animal loving, daughter.She was very taken with it. BYTW,back in '04 your first post was on my 79th Birthday.

I read your post to my adult, animal loving, daughter.She was very taken with it. BYTW,back in '04 your first post was on my 79th Birthday.

Thanks for sharing this with your daughter beaced. It just goes to show that each of us can make a difference if we just take a step back and realize that as humans, we have a responsibility to help those that can't help themselves. Yes, we all have busy lives.. But helping this animal gave me as much satisfaction as nearly anything I've done in my personal or professional life.

another good way to save animals from roadways is to educate people not to throw food (like an apple core) out car windows onto or near the road..people think it is ok because it is not littering but it does cause animals to come onto roadways to eat it and then....

another good way to save animals from roadways is to educate people not to throw food (like an apple core) out car windows onto or near the road..people think it is ok because it is not littering but it does cause animals to come onto roadways to eat it and then....

little-turtle-trying-to-bite-tomato-gif.gif

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Nice job!!!!! I had a turtle lay eggs in my driveway in Manahawkin a couple years ago. After Mommy was done and left, I roped off the area until the eggs hatched!!!!!!! When they hatch, somehow they find their way across yards, over bulkheads, and into the lagoon. How in the world do they know where the hell they are going? My significant other with Garmin GPS doesn't do as well!

Rescued a few turtles off the roads. A few years ago we stopped and picked up a good sized box turtle in the middle of the highway. The look on my 9 year old sons face was priceless. He was overjoyed to have the turtle sitting next to him in the truck..

He called a few people on the phone to tell them he was sitting next to a turtle. We tried keeping it in a back yard pen but it just didn't seem happy being there. Plus I was worried about the winter, since I am pretty sure they do some form of hibernation in the mud in the winter.

Anyway a month or 2 later, I told my son we need to say goodbye and we released him in a local lake. When we set him on the ground it was like a jailbreak. The turtle took off for the edge of the lake and swam away.

About 5 years ago on a construction site I found two little baby box turtles stuck under an old metal fence. They were about the size of a silver dollar. We put them in the wood pen. They escaped on their own through a hole in the back of the pen.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
We have turtles wander onto our property all the time. They frustrate the heck out of my dog, who patiently waits for them to come out of their shells. The one in this picture waited until my dog took a nap and slowly crept away.

11074098_10207109099631439_5692725753716289161_n.jpg

Reactions: sport2231
I was at the beach a couple of years ago when a whale beached itself. It had a golf ball lodged in its blow hole. We were looking for a marine biologist...

Newell - I owe you one. You saved a turtle this weekend and I accidentally killed one yesterday. We are on the bay in LBI and my sons and I track the turtles very keenly - Northern Diamondback Terrapins. They are just cool and different than any other marine life. We are always fishing and crabbing and i never thought we could hurt a turtle - although you can obviously catch one on a line. Well, yesterday morning we had a dead turtle in a crab trap. It obviously drowned. I feel pretty awful about and I will have to figure out a way to make this up to the turtle population. I think there are some groups that rescue eggs or something along those lines.

ADVERTISEMENT