ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If it's called Taylor Ham, why doesn't it say "Taylor Ham" anywhere on the label

What do you call Pork Roll?

• Pork Roll

• I don't know how to read

Results are only viewable after voting.

Upstream

Hall of Famer
Jul 31, 2001
without a paddle
What's a pork roll ?
Loved Taylor ham & egg with cheese on a hard roll :okay:, but never heard of that pork roll thing.:flush:

I'm trying to figure out what "Taylor Ham" is. But Pork Roll is delicious. Here are some pictures to help you find it in the supermarket:

20130713-pork-roll-rachel-01.jpg

3850275413_5bfc0c981b.jpg

Case_bag.JPG

3Pw7olsbfn6nrkA85OX8_original.jpg

shoprite-pork-roll-mild-45897.jpg

12-6oz-THICK-Sliced-Taylor-Pork-Roll.jpg

Reactions: trentonrufan
Dude makes comment about no Taylor ham on label... Posts pictures with various big prints of "Taylor" all over it. Sometimes bigger than the pork roll print.

LoL.

Its like this - you can get a tissue, but you might prefer to always buy cleanex.

You might drive a sedan, but you might rather have a Cadillac specifically.

You might want migraine relieving cocktail of drugs, or you might be a loyal Excedrin buyer.

You can call it pork roll, or you can buy Taylor ham whenever u indulge in pork roll BC its the best and most well known brand. I'm from central jersey, live in north, I call it both.

Fine if you babies are never going to stop fighting we'll call in neither Pork Roll or Taylor Ham.

Here you go (link)

And I hope you threw up in your mouth like I did when I heard it called this.

Its like this - you can get a tissue, but you might prefer to always buy cleanex.

You might drive a sedan, but you might rather have a Cadillac specifically.

You might want migraine relieving cocktail of drugs, or you might be a loyal Excedrin buyer.

You can call it pork roll, or you can buy Taylor ham whenever u indulge in pork roll BC its the best and most well known brand. I'm from central jersey, live in north, I call it both.

Sure, I can buy a Cadillac sedan, or a Ford sedan, or a Chevy sedan. But I can't buy a Cadillac airplane or Cadillac bicycle.

And I can buy Taylor pork roll, or Case's pork roll, or Trenton pork roll. But I can't find any store that sells Taylor ham or Taylor bacon.

Pl

What about the Jersey Shore, you know, where we live.

Where it's still cold? I've watched with some amusement all the people heading to the beach the last two days only to see them a short while later come back because it's too cold. The temperature drops about 10 degrees the moment you cross the bridge between Brielle and Manasquan.

The obsession with this topic has reached an unhealthy level.

This is officially some tastee and funny stuff.

This sounds like a marketing opportunity for Taylor. Just label half the stuff they make "Taylor Ham" and charge more for it.

But I wonder if what has happened here is that they changed the labeling from "Taylor Ham" to "Taylor Pork Roll" to get more purchases by people who want "Pork Roll" while appeasing the "Taylor Ham" people with the word "Taylor".

Wonder-Bagel-Menu-500x359.jpg

The menu says Taylor Ham not pork roll

The menu is wrong. When I go to places like this, I order the most expensive dish that says taylor ham. Then when it comes out with pork roll, I send it back and say that I wanted ham, not pork roll. I do this 'cause I'm a putz. ;-)

This is officially some tastee and funny stuff.

This sounds like a marketing opportunity for Taylor. Just label half the stuff they make "Taylor Ham" and charge more for it.

But I wonder if what has happened here is that they changed the labeling from "Taylor Ham" to "Taylor Pork Roll" to get more purchases by people who want "Pork Roll" while appeasing the "Taylor Ham" people with the word "Taylor".

Actually Taylor used to call it ham. But the federal government made them stop doing that since it isn't ham. This happened about 110 years ago.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Actually Taylor used to call it ham. But the federal government made them stop doing that since it isn't ham. This happened about 110 years ago.
In 1906 I believe.
But the government isn't going to stop me from calling it Taylor Ham.
It's a "Freedom of Speech" issue [roll][eyeroll]

It doesn't say "Mad Dog" on the label either. Leave us alone. :smiley:

Funny thing, my mom called it Taylor Ham when we were kids, but at some point when we got older it became pork roll. Maybe her mother's influence waned?

The oiginal item was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Trenton, New Jersey, and sold as "Taylor Ham". As described by others... packaging and name was changed at a later time to pork roll

Originating from the Newark area---In my family it has always been known as a Taylor Ham and egg sandwich since at least the mid 1940's... My father cant recall what his grandparents may have called it before the 40's, but he and his parents always called it by it's real name... Taylor Ham as named by it's creator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

I never heard of the stuff until I came to Rutgers. White Rose System in Highland Park had "pork roll" on the menu, and that's what I've called it since.

It was the original name:

CHATFIELD, District judge. The complainant is successor to
one john Taylor, who conducted a provision business for a consid-
erable time and placed upon the market a food article made of pork,
packed in a cylindrical cotton sack or bag in such form that it could
be quickly prepared for cooking by slicing without removal from the
bag. This preparation was known as "Taylor’s Prepared Ham," but
with the passage of the pure food law by the Congress of the United
States it became necessary to change the label of this article in or-
der to avoid a violation of the statute, as it did not consist of ham.
The complainant therefore adopted the name "Pork Roll," and has
had large sales of the article under the name of "Taylor’s Pork Roll,"
or "Trenton Pork Roll," the preparation still being sold in cotton bags,
and having red letters in outline printed upon_ the bags, with a de-
tachable paper label, fastened by a rubber band, which paper label
is in the form of the trade—mark registered by the complainant on the
31st day of October, 1906. A similar label was also registered on
March 19, 1907.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/case/reporter/F/0180/001/00000951.txt

Funny thing, my mom called it Taylor Ham when we were kids, but at some point when we got older it became pork roll. Maybe her mother's influence waned?
taylor+ham+pork+roll+map.jpg

this is the map of where people in Jersey use the term "Pork Roll" (RED) or call it "Taylor Ham" (BLUE)

It was the original name:

one john Taylor, who conducted a provision business for a consid-
erable time and placed upon the market a food article made of pork,
packed in a cylindrical cotton sack or bag in such form that it could
be quickly prepared for cooking by slicing without removal from the
bag. This preparation was known as "Taylor’s Prepared Ham," but
with the passage of the pure food law by the Congress of the United
States it became necessary to change the label of this article in or-
der to avoid a violation of the statute, as it did not consist of ham.
The complainant therefore adopted the name "Pork Roll," and has
had large sales of the article under the name of "Taylor’s Pork Roll,"
or "Trenton Pork Roll," the preparation still being sold in cotton bags,
and having red letters in outline printed upon_ the bags, with a de-
tachable paper label, fastened by a rubber band, which paper label
is in the form of the trade—mark registered by the complainant on the
31st day of October, 1906. A similar label was also registered on
March 19, 1907.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

TAYLOR Pnovisron oo. v. ooism., 939
ant was not entitled to a preliminary injunction to restrain defendants
use of such packages and dressing.
[Ed. Note.—For other cases, see Trade-Marks and Trade-Names, Cent.
Dig. § 108; Dec. Dig. § 95.*] '______`__' l , __~A______lV_
In Equity. Action by the Taylor Provision Company against
Adolph Gobel for trade—mark infringement. Application by com-
plainant for temporary injunction. Denied.
Durand, Mahony & Kreischer, for complainant.
Einstein, Townsend & Guiterman, for defendant.
one john Taylor.....

Did I read that correctly.. Taylor was the complainant in the case that ended up forcing the name change? I am assuming this link came from OCR generated text.. thus Provision becomes "Pnovisron".. I wonder who or what "ooism" is. Perhaps that is a governmental agency who demanded a name change and Taylor tried to stop it in court?

Bacon, egg and cheese...on a Portuguese sweet roll...better! After spending much time in Rhode Island this combo is better than anything I ever ate for a breakfast sandwich in NJ...I know, gasp!! ;-)

Did I read that correctly.. Taylor was the complainant in the case that ended up forcing the name change? I am assuming this link came from OCR generated text.. thus Provision becomes "Pnovisron".. I wonder who or what "ooism" is. Perhaps that is a governmental agency who demanded a name change and Taylor tried to stop it in court?

if you follow the link you can read the full story.

The short of it is that it was first named “Taylor’s Prepared Ham.” The 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act forced him to change the name to Pork Roll since it didn't meet the definition of actual ham. The people buying it still called it by it's original name and it stuck over the decades, that is where the name Taylor Ham comesfrom. It is the true name of the product even if they can't legally call it that on the package.

if you follow the link you can read the full story.

The short of it is that it was first named “Taylor’s Prepared Ham.” The 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act forced him to change the name to Pork Roll since it didn't meet the definition of actual ham. The people buying it still called it by it's original name and it stuck over the decades, that is where the name Taylor Ham comesfrom. It is the true name of the product even if they can't legally call it that on the package.

I see, there was text at the bottom I thought was in your original post.

So, this 1910 case was after the name change to Pork Roll and was about deceptive labeling by another pork roll producer... probably Trenton Pork Roll or Case I'd imagine. mmm.. pork roll..

Any true jersey person calls it Taylor ham. That is why your mom called it that. Everone I know still calls it Taylor ham. Some people around Trenton call it pork roll but then again some of the Trenton guys don't even consider themselves from N J .

Nowhere on the Taylor product labels in the above pictures does it say the word 'HAM'. The product is defined PORK ROLL.
Case closed.

Taylor Ham Pork Roll is so freakin' bad for you but...

I remember playing Pop Warner football and getting a whiff of this incredible smell coming from our snack stand. I looked around and saw that they were making this sandwich with Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese. I asked for one and after the first bite I was hooked.

Call it what you want but it's freakin' delicious.

Any true jersey person calls it Taylor ham. That is why your mom called it that. Everone I know still calls it Taylor ham. Some people around Trenton call it pork roll but then again some of the Trenton guys don't even consider themselves from N J .
Where do some of you people come up with this crap? More people call it pork roll everywhere in NJ than those that call it Taylor ham.

Nowhere on the Taylor product labels in the above pictures does it say the word 'HAM'. The product is defined PORK ROLL.
Case closed.
I appeal that decision and my reasons are :
You play ping pong, but actual name is table tennis!
You say hand me a kleenex meaning a facial tissue!
Jumbo trons are actually large screen TVs!
A jacuzzi is actually a whirlpool bath!
Asking for a band-aid means you want an adhesive bandage !
A post-it is just another name for a sticky note!
Q-Tips actually are cotton swabs !
Saran wrap is name you call plastic wrap!
Those are a few examples , proving those I have every right to call it Taylor Ham, like it should be called.

After a through investigation by Taylor Ham supporters: Closed case was reopened and appealed , then .after examining all the evidence, decision was overturn and the decision was: Taylor Ham is the legitimate name of the product , even if it isn't listed on the package it comes in.[banana]:cool2:

ADVERTISEMENT