ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is it time to fertilize the lawn

RCTrooper

All American
Apr 9, 2010
Need some lawn advice:

I used Scotts weed and feed 6 weeks ago when the lawn was still a frozen tundra. The lawn is pretty lush and green and I want to put down some fertilizer to keep it going before the summer heat sets in. Is it too soon to use fertilizer?

I believe scotts recommeds 7-8 weeks between steps. I simply do Late April, late June, Labor Day, and holloween, this way I don't forget.

Step 1 is not weed and feed its Crab grass preventer and feed. Step 2 is weed and feed and that's right about now.

That's what I did as well, used the crabgrass pre emergent in early April and will now use the Step 1 Weed and Feed first weekend in June. I also used Weed B Gone on dandelions and a few stray weeds that popped up, stuff works very well. Not much rain so far this spring.
Step 1 is not weed and feed its Crab grass preventer and feed. Step 2 is weed and feed and that's right about now.

I haven't used the crab grass preventer (Scotts plus halts) in years. Never saw any benefit. I usually hit the lawn with straight lawn food (10-10-10) around early April, then around mid-late April I hit the lawn with the liquid weed killer (the concentrate you attach to your hose). Next it's weed/feed in late May followed by plain old insect control in early June. I'm pretty much done after that although I might put down some straight lawn food again in the early Fall. My lawn looks great even with the recent semi-drought

This is the timetable I follow with Scotts. Maybe an acronym will help: EMIL. Easter-put down fertilizer with crabgrass control. Memorial Day fertilizer with weed control. Independence Day fertilizer with insect control and Labor Day for fertilizer to carry you through the winter. If I am going to do remedial work in the fall, such as seeding, thatching or aerating, I don't put down the fall fertilizer until early October.

This is the timetable I follow with Scotts. Maybe an acronym will help: EMIL. Easter-put down fertilizer with crabgrass control. Memorial Day fertilizer with weed control. Independence Day fertilizer with insect control and Labor Day for fertilizer to carry you through the winter. If I am going to do remedial work in the fall, such as seeding, thatching or aerating, I don't put down the fall fertilizer until early October.
That's perfect advice. Thanks!

Around me, if you wait until Memorial Day to weed and feed, the dandelions have already grown, spread and died. I try to hit them with the weed killer in April.

I also used Weed B Gone on dandelions and a few stray weeds that popped up, stuff works very well.
Depending upon how many dandelions you have, you might want to try some of the stuff targeted explicitly at them. I used that quite a while back on my parents' lawn, as it had somehow gotten overrun with dandelions, and it worked fantasticly. If you only have a few, however, then it's overkill.

ADVERTISEMENT